List Mgmt. 2020 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is Part 1

The thread is continued in part 2:

Didn't he win the next best contested ball and clearances to Fyfe on Saturday? I think we need to surround him with a bit of outside class.

Someone like Brad Hill, but obviously not Brad Hill.
Or share the load better with Serong, Valente, Blakely, Acres, allowing Brayshaw to play more outside.
Plus Walters outside mid, and with Wilson back Young could be a weapon with more time and space.
To be honest it feels like we have gone conservative, and the sooner we upgrade for the future, the
quicker we will become a threat.

Or share the load better with Serong, Valente, Blakely, Acres, allowing Brayshaw to play more outside.
Plus Walters outside mid, and with Wilson back Young could be a weapon with more time and space.
To be honest it feels like we have gone conservative, and the sooner we upgrade for the future, the
quicker we will become a threat.
I really don't want Brayshaw getting involved in transition footy or playing outside from stoppages.

Cerra is so much better delivering the ball by foot.

I really don't want Brayshaw getting involved in transition footy or playing outside from stoppages.

Cerra is so much better delivering the ball by foot.

Will he have the body to take being our first or second contested player every week for the next handful of years?

Will he have the body to take being our first or second contested player every week for the next handful of years?
I liked what JLo said about players fielded in their natural positions, obviously some
have the versatility for dual roles, ie I see Sturt and Fyfe in tandem, Henry, Walters
rotating.
Brayshaws draft bio suggests inside/outside player, we have an abundance of classy mids
and inside Bulls, why relie on so few, or predictable when we have so many permutations?
Controlled minutes, rotations and we keep them fresh, so guys like Cerra, etc, can carve teams
up in an instant while doing their apprenticeship.

Get rid of Brayshaw? Madness. He is going to be a champion in future. We talk about elite - he has elite character. Yes his kicking needs to improve. I have no doubt he will manically focus on it for the next few years to improve. Because that’s the kind of guy he is. If every player on the list had a mindset like Andy Brayshaw, to go with their individual talents, we’d be premiers within 2 years.

Get rid of Brayshaw? Madness. He is going to be a champion in future. We talk about elite - he has elite character. Yes his kicking needs to improve. I have no doubt he will manically focus on it for the next few years to improve. Because that’s the kind of guy he is. If every player on the list had a mindset like Andy Brayshaw, to go with their individual talents, we’d be premiers within 2 years.
The funny thing is that barring one almightly out on the full howler, I thought his kicking was pretty good on the weekend. His first kick was weighted perfectly to Fyfe's advantage

We have a good list and now have depth. Missing a third of team playing two middle of road teams away and only losing by a few goals.

Our team is young but missing A players. In saying that we have a group of young players that could develop into A graders.

Blakely was a walk up starter in the previous 3 years and now he has challenge to get into the team.

Shows the level of depth at the club after 4 years of cutting the fat.

We have too many inside midfielders and need some class on the outside.

That’s where we can start to go shopping for free agents and top ups.

We have a good list and now have depth. Missing a third of team playing two middle of road teams away and only losing by a few goals.

Our team is young but missing A players. In saying that we have a group of young players that could develop into A graders.

Blakely was a walk up starter in the previous 3 years and now he has challenge to get into the team.

Still feels like we are playing it safe, going with experience ATM, due to Covid. Once we decide that an
Honourable loss is just that I think we will see the youth exposed.
Playing the role players, and some out of position is just treading water.

It's wild to think that towards the back end of last year we were all expecting or at least hoping for Blakely to make that jump and become a solid inside mid. Fast forward to now, with the addition of Acres and Aish and the rise of Cerra and Brayshaw and Blakely isn't even best 22 now. The reality is as well, that Valente and Serong are likely to get games before him.

I think you've hit the nail on the head, a classy outside mid would be nice. It'll be interesting to see how the whole covid shutdown effects player movements and trades at the end of the year but it doesn't seem like there's anyone sticking their hand up to come back to WA yet, early days I guess.

I hope the club is well into Jordan Clark's ear, I know he's still contracted (til 2022 is it?) and unlikely to come home this year but would be a nice addition down the track if we can make that happen.

Reality is, I think this year we're a bottom four side. There's an abundance of talent and potential on our list but there's also an abundance of KPP's on the sidelines. Personally, I'd be happy with the spoon, would it see our pick pushed back to pick 2? Gives us a crack at Tilthorpe or DGB and a chance to throw around some bids if we want to do a Carlton.

Watching the likes of Sturt, Valente, Young, Serong and Henry will help us enjoy the losses this year. Our list needs one more really high draft pick, blood the kids I say.

For me a spoon is a bad thing. Fremantle are not a club with a winning culture whether we like it or not. The only benefit of a spoon is the number one pick. We probably wouldn’t even get a Priority pick from the w***ers at AFL house. The negatives of a spoon, including reinforcing a losing culture over the last few years, making us unattractive for young players to extend contracts, a disillusioned membership, depleted team morale and greater relative irrelevance in the eyes of the wider AFL, all far outweigh the Positive of the number one pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me a spoon is a bad thing. Fremantle are not a club with a winning culture whether we like it or not. The only benefit of a spoon is the number one pick. We probably wouldn’t even get a Priority pick from the w***ers at AFL house. The negatives of a spoon, including reinforcing a losing culture over the last few years, making us unattractive for young players to extend contracts, a disillusioned membership, depleted team morale and greater relative irrelevance in the eyes of the wider AFL, all far outweigh the Positive of the number one pick.
We wouldn't get pick 1 anyway. Points downgrade from Henry would mean we have 2 instead from memory.

No way they would give us one.
I agree, but Gold Coast and Carlton both were given pre-draft concessions in 2019 after four consecutive bottom five finishes (they finished 12 and 13 in 2014)

In 2019 Gold Coast was given a massive concession package after their fifth bottom four season in a row.

Freo finishing bottom 6 in 2020 will be the fifth season in a row, most of which was bottom five.

So what's the difference?

I think we have a case. I'd like to not need one but the fact is that priority picks used correctly are 10+ years of advantage for your side and we need every advantage we can get while we aren't getting father son picks or a raging strong academy - those things are just to keep up with the pack.

I'd like an extra second round pick.

I agree, but Gold Coast and Carlton both were given pre-draft concessions in 2019 after four consecutive bottom five finishes (they finished 12 and 13 in 2014)

In 2019 Gold Coast was given a massive concession package after their fifth bottom four season in a row.

Freo finishing bottom 6 in 2020 will be the fifth season in a row, most of which was bottom five.

So what's the difference?

I think we have a case. I'd like to not need one but the fact is that priority picks used correctly are 10+ years of advantage for your side and we need every advantage we can get while we aren't getting father son picks or a raging strong academy - those things are just to keep up with the pack.

I'd like an extra second round pick.

What's the difference? Really?

This whole list size reduction is not going to happen. It's a stick to beat the Players Association over the head with, a negotiation tactic. I mean think about it. There is no point cutting the lists by say 2: that will save about $160,000 grand a year each: Pointless. The bottom 6 to 8 on a list make $80,000 tops so even cutting 8 from every side would only save 5% of the cap.

They are trying to get the PA to agree to reduce the cap or defer and/or reduce the agreed future rise to 13.45 million. Opportunistic stuff in my view by the AFL.
If I were the PA I'd tell them to bugger off and come back when the losses are demonstrated to be systemic rather than a one off impairment. They'd be mad to agree to anything before it's all played out.

And just quietly if the losses do prove systemic, cutting a couple of Melbourne sides is the logical thing to do. Gold Coast might haemorrhage money directly but indirectly they support the rights package. Whereas the package is not worth one iota less if you sh*tcan, say, the Saints and North.

Who is the last real success story we have had off the rookie list? Most teams who win a premiership will always have one or two A graders that arrived at the club cheaply via a rookie list or pre season draft. McGovern, Houli, Dylan Grimes, Jason Johanisson some recent examples to name a few.
On our current list, we have a lot of average fringe players who were rookie listed and no obvious best 22 locks. Tabs is probably the most established - and he still divides opinion! Likes of Hughes, Duman, Banfield, are good honest triers but will never be A graders.
Hopeful one of Watson, Pina, Butters or Thomas can become a best 22 lock in time..
Really we haven’t struck gold in the rookie list since Barlow in 2009... thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back