List Mgmt. 2020 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is Part 1

The thread is continued in part 2:

At this rate, we'll be known as the Fremantle Hobbits.

Jordan would be a great get.

I must confess to being somewhat puzzled by Geelongs list strategy. It may land them a flag next year or it could backfire horribly.
They have ramped up their 2021/22/23 premiership prospects significantly, which is a pretty fair achievement.

A large part of what has happened over the past two years has been enabled by trading Kelly, and they are way out in front. And if they can confine their draft needs to being medium/small players they can do ok. My main issue with them is lack of opportunity for players (such as Clark). But with him I expect some opportunities on field, and if a trade eventuates, they seem very capable of profiting from it.

They have ramped up their 2021/22/23 premiership prospects significantly, which is a pretty fair achievement.

A large part of what has happened over the past two years has been enabled by trading Kelly, and they are way out in front. And if they can confine their draft needs to being medium/small players they can do ok. My main issue with them is lack of opportunity for players (such as Clark). But with him I expect some opportunities on field, and if a trade eventuates, they seem very capable of profiting from it.
It may well get them 2021 flag but they have put quite a few eggs into that particular basket. For 30 yo players the cliff can come quickly and they have a few of the them.

Anyway time will tell.

I must confess to being somewhat puzzled by Geelongs list strategy. It may land them a flag next year or it could backfire horribly.

I have a theory that losing a grand final can have a really negative effect on a club. The management thinks it’s closer to a flag than it actually is and management decisions reflect that. Probably biased but we looked no where near it late 2015 IMO but it was obvious we really thought we were a chance. I think similar stuff has happened to Sydney, Adelaide, Collingwood and GWS. Who have kinda fallen off by gunning too hard.

I have a theory that losing a grand final can have a really negative effect on a club. The management thinks it’s closer to a flag than it actually is and management decisions reflect that. Probably biased but we looked no where near it late 2015 IMO but it was obvious we really thought we were a chance. I think similar stuff has happened to Sydney, Adelaide, Collingwood and GWS. Who have kinda fallen off by gunning too hard.
Agree, a balanced approach is always best in my opinion.

The Eagles sold the farm for Kelly thinking that, with his addition, they would be a shoe-in for the 2020 flag. Did not turn out that way. Now they have lost access to a year's draft talent. It may not mean much but it could also come back to bite them.

They have one of the oldest list profiles in the league. The following players are either 30 or will turn 30 during 2021 season: Kennedy, Nicnat, Hurn, Sheppard, Shuey, Redden, Hutchings and Vardy, Plus Darling, McGovern, Cripps and Gaff will hit 29 during the same period. Now they will still be a good side next year, but that's a sizeable portion of their best talent on the wrong end of the age spectrum. If you look at their players 22 and under, the same quality just is not there.

Always keep an eye to the future.

At this rate, we'll be known as the Fremantle Hobbits.
If study Richmond Premiership 22 You'll see that nearly half of the team less than 6" tall[hobbits in Your books]...

Agree, a balanced approach is always best in my opinion.

The Eagles sold the farm for Kelly thinking that, with his addition, they would be a shoe-in for the 2020 flag. Did not turn out that way. Now they have lost access to a year's draft talent. It may not mean much but it could also come back to bite them.

They have one of the oldest list profiles in the league. The following players are either 30 or will turn 30 during 2021 season: Kennedy, Nicnat, Hurn, Sheppard, Shuey, Redden, Hutchings and Vardy, Plus Darling, McGovern, Cripps and Gaff will hit 29 during the same period. Now they will still be a good side next year, but that's a sizeable portion of their best talent on the wrong end of the age spectrum. If you look at their players 22 and under, the same quality just is not there.

Always keep an eye to the future.
I wouldn’t equate Geelong and WCs future list issues. The only immediate key players over 30 Geelong have are Hawkins (coming off a career best season, with Cameron incoming), Dangerfield (who has shown the ability to play the forward role that we seem to see as the key to Fyfe’s longevity) and Selwood (who definitely seems to be struggling to be his best). I doubt if there would be many sleepless nights about any other 30 year olds on their list. And while WC have Kennedy and Hurn in decline they have replacements coming through.

both those sides will be up and about in 2021.

If study Richmond Premiership 22 You'll see that nearly half of the team less than 6" tall[hobbits in Your books]...

6ft is approx 183cm

Durdin. Is 172 cm
Western is 172cm

Serong is 178cm

Tolkien wrote that the average height of a Hobbit is 107cm

The following players are 172cm or smaller

C Daniel
168cm (5 ft 6 in)

B Daniels
170cm (5 ft 7 in)

K Pickett
170cm (5 ft 7 in)

McDonald-Tipungwuti
171cm (5 ft 7 in)

T Stengle
172cm

So Durdin and Western are very small in AFL comparisons. But not the smallest!

6ft is approx 183cm

Durdin. Is 172 cm
Western is 172cm

Serong is 178cm

C Daniel
168cm (5 ft 6 in)

B Daniels
170cm (5 ft 7 in)

K Pickett
170cm (5 ft 7 in)

McDonald-Tipungwuti
171cm (5 ft 7 in)

T Stengle
172cm

Richmond has the following sub 176cm

Baker 173cm
Prestia 175cm
Bolton 175 cm

(Log in to remove this ad.)

6ft is approx 183cm

Durdin. Is 172 cm
Western is 172cm

Serong is 178cm

C Daniel
168cm (5 ft 6 in)

B Daniels
170cm (5 ft 7 in)

K Pickett
170cm (5 ft 7 in)

McDonald-Tipungwuti
171cm (5 ft 7 in)

T Stengle
172cm

Richmond has the following sub 176cm

Baker 173cm
Prestia 175cm
Bolton 175 cm
Lambert178cm,Rioli 179cm,Short 176cm,
Houli 180cm,Castagna 181cm,Graham 181cm,Edwards 182cm

THAT IS 10 PLAYERS IN RICHMOND PREMIERSHIP BEST 22 ARE BELOW 6'...Talking about hobbits,short people etc...No player in this side was
over 2m tall...

Lambert178cm,Rioli 179cm,Short 176cm,
Houli 180cm,Castagna 181cm,Graham 181cm,Edwards 182cm

THAT IS 10 PLAYERS IN RICHMOND PREMIERSHIP BEST 22 ARE BELOW 6'...Talking about hobbits,short people etc...No player in this side was
over 2m tall...
I wonder if that is game plan specific to them, or if that could be applied generally to where Longmuir is heading? We are already committed to having 3 of our core at over 2 meters.

I wonder if that is game plan specific to them, or if that could be applied generally to where Longmuir is heading? We are already committed to having 3 of our core at over 2 meters.
Our game style requires good foot skills.

Daniels would be perfect regardless of height.

Principle should be having height in the right spots.

171cm small forward isn't an issue but 188cm key position is.

IMO They are doing this on purpose...Smaller players means more run,means running games out better...
Also i think they keep list age profile on younger side,so they can outrun opposition...Their best runners are all
between 22 and 30 yo...

IMO They are doing this on purpose...Smaller players means more run,means running games out better...
Also i think they keep list age profile on younger side,so they can outrun opposition...Their best runners are all
between 22 and 30 yo...
They overrun the Cats.

Lack of leg speed can really kill you in end.

Looking into the tea leaves, they've realised that not having Dangerfield in the guts full time hurts them in Finals games, however Hawkins is too easily double-teamed without Danger up forward. Enter Cameron.

I expect Danger to play more midfield in crucial games next year which may give them the leg up they're looking for.

Looking into the tea leaves, they've realised that not having Dangerfield in the guts full time hurts them in Finals games, however Hawkins is too easily double-teamed without Danger up forward. Enter Cameron.

I expect Danger to play more midfield in crucial games next year which may give them the leg up they're looking for.

hmmm.....is this relevant for us?

Looking into the tea leaves, we've realised that not having Fyfe in the guts full time hurts us in Finals games, however Taberner is too easily double-teamed without Fyfe up forward. Enter ????.

I expect Fyfe to play more midfield in crucial games next year which may give us the leg up we're looking for.

Attachments

• 12C28061-F1EE-4687-8834-E6472117918D.jpeg
    12C28061-F1EE-4687-8834-E6472117918D.jpeg
    48 KB · Views: 73
  • 4DE2A3F5-7B8F-4ADE-B741-C737D58FC921.jpeg
    4DE2A3F5-7B8F-4ADE-B741-C737D58FC921.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 78
IMO we already have too many really short players on our list. With Matera gone and Western coming in we’re already matching last year with an overall list that has less players.

Sure Richmond had 10 players below 6 foot in their team on Grand Final day but AFL players of around 180cm (let’s say 178-182cm) aren’t short - it’s the lower end of normal for non-KPP AFL players.

You wouldn’t want to have any more than 2-3 genuinely small players in your side as they can only really play certain positions. With so many on the list we’re realistically limiting the usefulness of our depth by drafting more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back