List Mgmt. 2020 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is Part 1

The thread is continued in part 2:

So what do we need to be a competitor?

Our defence, missing 3-4 of its best 7, is top 4 in the league on points conceded, THAT'S CRAZY.

Our core midfield and ruck is being championed by 4 20 year-olds and a 15 year-old Mundy.

Our forward line will have a 2 time Brownlow medallist sitting in it for the next 5 years, exciting talent in Henry and Sturt coming through and two of the best contested mark players in Lobb and Taberner holding up. Jesse Hogan is trying to work his way into the line-up.

I dont think we need anything more to be a competitor other than 2 more years of development, a fitter list and arguably a bit more wing class.

I think a more pertinent question is how do we extend what should be a premiership window as long as possible to give as many chances at a flag as possible.

Within 2 years, we will need to replace Mundy and Hill in the best 22. Mundy will be covered by Cerra moving in the guts, so we need to replace his wing minutes, Hill we'll replace easily enough at this stage.

I think the real issue is obvious when you look at plus 5 years. We'll likely need to have a ready made replacement for Tabs and Lobb who I dont think are the type of footballers to go long past 30-32 (sounds harsh but normal players drop off a cliff after 30 pretty quickly), Walters and Fyfe who will be on his last legs. We have the forwardline replacements for Fyfe in Sturt and Walters in Henry, Hogan, provided he's in the right head space will still be there, so we need a KPF to develop now. Hamling and Pearce are two others we may need to replace by then but we seem to have their spots covered with Cox and Logue - some more to develop would be nice in the next 2 years.

If we rate him high enough, I think we should go hell for leather for McDonald to the point where if we rate him as a long term prospect, I'm happy to use a future first to move up the draft order. Future 1st, our current 1st for a top 4 pick and some back-end change this year to match Western and Walker bids
We're on the same page brother Snuff! :thumbsu:

Our defence, missing 3-4 of its best 7, is top 4 in the league on points conceded, THAT'S CRAZY.

Our core midfield and ruck is being championed by 4 20 year-olds and a 15 year-old Mundy.

Our forward line will have a 2 time Brownlow medallist sitting in it for the next 5 years, exciting talent in Henry and Sturt coming through and two of the best contested mark players in Lobb and Taberner holding up. Jesse Hogan is trying to work his way into the line-up.

I dont think we need anything more to be a competitor other than 2 more years of development, a fitter list and arguably a bit more wing class.

I think a more pertinent question is how do we extend what should be a premiership window as long as possible to give as many chances at a flag as possible.

Within 2 years, we will need to replace Mundy and Hill in the best 22. Mundy will be covered by Cerra moving in the guts, so we need to replace his wing minutes, Hill we'll replace easily enough at this stage.

I think the real issue is obvious when you look at plus 5 years. We'll likely need to have a ready made replacement for Tabs and Lobb who I dont think are the type of footballers to go long past 30-32 (sounds harsh but normal players drop off a cliff after 30 pretty quickly), Walters and Fyfe who will be on his last legs. We have the forwardline replacements for Fyfe in Sturt and Walters in Henry, Hogan, provided he's in the right head space will still be there, so we need a KPF to develop now. Hamling and Pearce are two others we may need to replace by then but we seem to have their spots covered with Cox and Logue - some more to develop would be nice in the next 2 years.

If we rate him high enough, I think we should go hell for leather for McDonald to the point where if we rate him as a long term prospect, I'm happy to use a future first to move up the draft order. Future 1st, our current 1st for a top 4 pick and some back-end change this year to match Western and Walker bids

I think I might have mentioned it a few weeks ago on the Young Talent thread, but I wonder if we'll look at Callow. Tassie KPF prospect who has looked pretty good playing at TSL level, and if you believe the draft-watchers will probably go in the first round/early in the second. (Although if you believe the draft watchers he might also be better suited as a KPD at AFL level.)

I think I might have mentioned it a few weeks ago on the Young Talent thread, but I wonder if we'll look at Callow. Tassie KPF prospect who has looked pretty good playing at TSL level, and if you believe the draft-watchers will probably go in the first round/early in the second. (Although if you believe the draft watchers he might also be better suited as a KPD at AFL level.)
Yeah, I've seen some footage of him, to my limited understanding, he seems like 2nd round onwards prospect. Being that massive already gives you a big advantage so I think his scope to improve would be less than others. I'm also not sure his height is enough for key forward - more a third tall - he's 193cm right?

Yeah, I've seen some footage of him, to my limited understanding, he seems like 2nd round onwards prospect. Being that massive already gives you a big advantage so I think his scope to improve would be less than others. I'm also not sure his height is enough for key forward - more a third tall - he's 193cm right?

I think it's 194cm.

McDonald is the 193cm one (going off the WAFL website.)

I think it's 194cm.

McDonald is the 193cm one (going off the WAFL website.)
196cm now according to eDPS who normally gets these right. Maybe its just his lankiness but that would like right to me, would be surprised if we McDonald was still 193

You have a very good nucleus of young players who just need more game time to reach their zenith.

On the surface, the only player(s) you should be targetting (or considering) for recruitment are ready-made A-Grade 24-26yo's who will replace one of the outgoing veterans.

Failing that, just keep plucking gold from the draft as you have been.

If it was up to me we'd absolutely grab McDonald before Callow. I'm more just thinking if we keep up current form there's no way he's sliding to our pick, so the smart play might be grabbing Callow second round and grabbing a mid first round. Or if we're really invested in grabbing a KPF and have a late first grabbing him there (if Callow doesn't look like going to the second round pick.)

With that said we have about another 7 games left; plenty of time to * things up again and put ourselves back in frame for McDonald.

It will be a win for us if we clean out the S and C, and concentrate on the draft.
Perhaps a free agent.
But I feel we're at the stage where we can basically allow the list to mature and keep bringing in young quality that will also help manage the cap as this list matures.

I think our needs are really KPB, as I feel that one of Hamling and Pearce won't make it back. A young developing KPF, and some more mids really.
Young and Sturt while injured have shown enough. We have Henry and Freddy who should be good.
Wilson has hit form again.

Mundy has one more year in him so would like another inside mid, especially if Cerra keeps playing like that off the wing.
Watching the way Serong etc have developed makes me think about Darcy Tucker...has he got it?

I personally think Brandon Walker will wind up a winger at the AFL level. Especially when you factor in the dynamics of our list. But that's just my opinion.
Yeah Walker could definitely play on the wing if he develops the tank. Western also plays plenty on the wing. Think they are more likely to start half back and half forward respectively though. Most of our NGA guys (Carter, Pina, Thomas) could all be developed into wingers imo. Duman played well as a winger for Peel in his first year. Henry can play on the wing but he really is a half forward - why do people think he isn't a forward????

Frederick is a potential winger more than any of those above imo - needs to master half forward first though. Aish is a great winger - never want to see him at half back instead of the wing again please. Tucker, Acres and McCarthy can play wing. And Bewley has been very serviceable and still got room to improve imo.

If the rumours swirling around Zac Fisher are true then there is another player who can play on the wing.

I think we've got plenty of options to consider coming through. I suspect the wingers that work best will be the ones that complement our new style of play. We may not need super speedy wingers (like Langdon) but rely on elite kicks instead (eg Cerra) and get a better outcome. We may not want our wingers solely outside (eg BHill) but more a mix of inside and outside (eg Aish).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at this, we have nailed each draft from 2016 but the drafts from 2011 to 2015 have largely been busts outside of a couple of picks. This means from a list profile perspective, we still don't have a huge amount of quality 24-27 year olds on the list. Weve done well getting Lobb, Aish, Acres and Hogan but I think we should try to bring one or two more in, even if it's to provide mature depth in the midfield

Henry can play on the wing but he really is a half forward - why do people think he isn't a forward????
Not gonna lie, this also confuses me greatly. The dude is exactly what you want for the forward flank, elite delivery inside f50, good finisher around goals, good overhead mark for his size to go with evasiveness and being pressure orientated. He also has primarily only played forward flank, why put him on the wing?

Looking at this, we have nailed each draft from 2016 but the drafts from 2011 to 2015 have largely been busts outside of a couple of picks. This means from a list profile perspective, we still don't have a huge amount of quality 24-27 year olds on the list. Weve done well getting Lobb, Aish, Acres and Hogan but I think we should try to bring one or two more in, even if it's to provide mature depth in the midfield
*cough*Zac Williams*cough*

It will be a win for us if we clean out the S and C, and concentrate on the draft.
Perhaps a free agent.
But I feel we're at the stage where we can basically allow the list to mature and keep bringing in young quality that will also help manage the cap as this list matures.

I think our needs are really KPB, as I feel that one of Hamling and Pearce won't make it back. A young developing KPF, and some more mids really.
Young and Sturt while injured have shown enough. We have Henry and Freddy who should be good.
Wilson has hit form again.

Mundy has one more year in him so would like another inside mid, especially if Cerra keeps playing like that off the wing.
Watching the way Serong etc have developed makes me think about Darcy Tucker...has he got it?

And Western and Walker gives us some real flexibility.

First time I'd seen vision of Walker was the other day. He's a powerful looking lad, fast and strong.
Could be anything

There has been talk also on Chapman so that's another name added to the list.
I wouldn't discount much on Callow, he was an under ager, and losing some weight could
help his speed, agility.
You could argue that Serong was in the same boat, not much scope for improvement. He has
also dropped some kilos.
At the end of the day they are natural footballers.
Callow could be another swingman, and those duel role players are gold.
Regardless he kicks goals, like McDonald, something lacking at Freo, with Lobb having the yips and
Hogan?

I'd be having a quite word to Schultz, Bewley and their managers at year's end. They have some currency now and trading them back to Vic if they see that as their long term plan to go home wouldn't be a bad idea. I wouldn't exactly be pushing them out but would be making it clear we would facilitate a trade if they wanted. Each of them should yield a third rounder which will give us flexibility with points etc.

A Toby Greene type. A smallish forward who's super strong overhead and can do the freaky things that can turn a game. Was sort of thinking that McCarthy would be that player but it appears not to be. A natural forward in the way that Serong is a natural mid.

Who does Callow play for in the TSL? I go and watch North Hobart when I can. Don't know the players though.

I wouldn’t be that disappointed/worried if a few players we really want to re-sign haven’t by the start of next year. I’d only be worried if it reaches July/August and they’re still out of contract tbh.

Every year we seem to have someone half decent who’s rumoured to be going re-signs at the half way point when the media make a frenzy about them being gone. Fyfe the obvious example, Cerra previously, Tucker last year, going back further it was Neale (even if he didn’t eventually leave).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back