List Mgmt. 2020 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is Part 1

The thread is continued in part 2:

Let’s get our players fit & back on the park first, we’re not in a position to trade anyone out yet. If we don’t change how we do things with our S&C, we’re going to need them all plus some.

Agree.

What’s your plan in keeping Cox?

Crows offer him a four year contact on good money and guaranteed best 22 spot.

Cox goes and Hamling, Pearce or Logue can’t get back on the park, we are screwed.

Not much we can do if a godfather offer comes, but one of the great things about afl v other sports is players care about more than just money.

He clearly loves the environment and no doubt would see the potential for success, has great mates at the club.

Adelaide are a basket case at the moment, no guarantee they will turn it around any time soon.

Not much fun getting pumped every week and your fans turning on you.

If Port go after him it might be tougher, but they have a salary cap the same as us.

Agree.

Cox goes and Hamling, Pearce or Logue can’t get back on the park, we are screwed.
Think others have said it. Not only do I not think he is getting a godfather offer I also don't think he is the sort to just take it anyway.

If it happens, so be it.

Why do we need to trade out players? What's the benefit to Fremantle? So we can make our list even younger by replacing them with 18 year olds?
Would you be happy for Cox to leave (demand a trade) and keep the rest of the talls?

Cox’s manager asks Bell and JL “ Is my client in the best 22?”

If we are being honest no but there is a good chance that he will play majority of the season due to injuries and Rotations of players.

Would you be happy for Cox to leave (demand a trade) and keep the rest of the talls?

If we are being honest no but there is a good chance that he will play majority of the season due to injuries and Rotations of player.
That isn't a realistic conversation though. Brennan would know where he stands (wouldn't need his manager asking Freo) and the reality is he'd be in a similar position at every other club imo. He's developing and playing alongside his two best mates (Ryan and Duman) - I don't see any reason why he'd want to leave.

If a player asks to leave you organise a trade. In the meantime you don't push them out the door unless they aren't providing value and you can get currency beyond delisting them. Our current talls are either worth something and worth keeping or on the delist pile and unlikely to get a 2nd chance at AFL level.

Lacks a pressure player if you ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Sturt is that player. He'd be close to the quickest on our list in a straight line sprint over 50 metres.. Henry in the long rum will be that too. H'es exceptionally quick. Needs to put on a bit of muscle but will get there before roo long.
Id go
Lobb Hogan Henry
Walters Tabs Sturt
on dry days anyway. Fyfe can play forward when Lobb's either in the ruck or on the bench. Serong could also rotate forward if Walters goes onball.

If we are being honest no but there is a good chance that he will play majority of the season due to injuries and Rotations of players.
Cox doesnt strike me as the type to leave for money and he's seen enough of us over the last few years to know its highly unlikely all 3 of Hamling, Pearce and Logue will be on the park at once, even then, if he plays some more games like last night, Hamling will have to push him out to get his spot back.

Dont think we have to worry too much about Cox leaving

Why do we need to trade out players? What's the benefit to Fremantle? So we can make our list even younger by replacing them with 18 year olds?

We should definitely be looking to trade out players if they have currency, we get value for the trade and they are going to go anyway.

Cox doesnt strike me as the type to leave for money and he's seen enough of us over the last few years to know its highly unlikely all 3 of Hamling, Pearce and Logue will be on the park at once, even then, if he plays some more games like last night, Hamling will have to push him out to get his spot back.

Dont think we have to worry too much about Cox leaving
Required uncontracted players make me worry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Required uncontracted make me worry.
Fair enough but I would legitimately be stunned if he chose to leave. Adelaide would have to be offering something completely stupid to make him do it. You can tell the vibe around the club is pretty incredible right now, he has his two best friends in Ryan and Duman around and he's playing good footy. Also, as someone else said, why the * would you want to play for Adelaide right now. They would have to be one of the least desirable clubs to play for of all time at the moment

If a player gets a godfather offer then they aren’t getting traded for pick 20. Of the name players we have lost recently in trades the only one I am unhappy about is Neale, but in the spirit of a rebuild I am also ok with how that is working out. For sure we would need to make replacement a trade in or draft a mature prospect. Probably easier said than done, but that’s life.

on a side note, very few ex SA players get traded back home to Adelaide.

Agree.

The plan would be to offer him security living with his best mate and dog.

Lacks a pressure player if you ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Its really interesting because whether we like it or not, every good team has at least one player who first role to pressure like crazy. If everyone's available, you likely have to squeeze out one of Sturt, Henry, Henry or Lobb (offensive first players) to play the likes of Crowden, Schultz or Switta (defensive first players).

Which players do you think we should trade out because they are going to go anyway?

As I said previously, I'd be in the ear of Bewley and Schultz - guys that have played each game this year so have some currency now, probably want to get back home eventually anyway and are surplus to future needs. If we get a couple of third round picks for them, gives us much more flexibility this draft.

The trade out is TABERNER

dogs are crying out for pack marking FF. he is 27...

Pick around 20 or under.

Competitive tension, Essendon, Collingwood also need a similar player.

HOGAN has to come good...
Okay, you either engaged the Sarcastica font right there, or you're just trolling!

On the Couch mentioned the dilemma with Cox.

We can’t play Cox, Hamling, Logue, and Pearce in the same team.

Sure Cox can swing but we still have Hogan,Lobb, and Taberner as tall forwards.

Cox and Ryan are pretty tight.

Do we trade a big out?
I don't know if you can rely on Pearce Hamling and Logue all being available for long periods of time. I reckon we don't have a lot of KPD depth, rather than too much.

Hamling is the most durable but according to this place he is about to audition for the role of Long John Silver in next summer's pantomime. Logue and Pearce have spent more time injured than available.

Forward, Lobb can be called into the ruck for an extended tour the moement Darcy has an injury. This is Tabs best season, partly becuase it is the first time he has availability in a long time. Start of a trend or an atypical year for Tabs? We don't know yet. And Hogan is just as injury plauged as the others.

I reckon Cox should feel pretty confident that there isn't going to be a traffic jam long term. He definitely isn't surplus to requirements. But for mine, he still has a long way to go with his game anyway.

As I said previously, I'd be in the ear of Bewley and Schultz - guys that have played each game this year so have some currency now, probably want to get back home eventually anyway and are surplus to future needs. If we get a couple of third round picks for them, gives us much more flexibility this draft.
I'd be surprised if other clubs were interested in paying for those two. Not sure the currency is that valuable either. Would either be used on our NGA so we'd basically just free up two list spots to then have to fill with 3rd round 18yos or mature agers like those two who then have to learn our system.

We need quality from the top end of the draft (1st and 2nd rounders). Trading out 3rd and 4th round players to then grab more of the same seems counterproductive to me.

Good debate on this thread tonight. I’d really like to keep Cox. Thought he actually looked really solid and improved last night. Those laconic style players can look very lazy as youngsters but as they mature can end up with very high ceilings. His disposal is also decent, and if we are honest I don’t recall Pearce hamling or even Logue having better disposal than Cox (despite being better pure defenders) so it will be good to have cox on the list. Agree with Snuffaluphagus that drafting an elite KPF is a need but looking like Logan will be off the table. Maybe we can package up our second with a first to move up the order and grab him? Early days yet but wouldn’t be surprised if we win 3 or 4 more and end up with pick 10 or 11. 10 and 25 for pick 6 and pick 60 or something like that?
if Logan was out of reach I’d look at Nathan O’Driscoll then. Long way to go till draft night though. If van Royen is as good as you say he’ll be a top 10 pick in 2021. I expect us to play finals next year and hence we will be well down the draft order. Despite that I don’t want our 2021 first future traded. Supposed to be a deep draft. You could end up packaging that 2021 first rounder to get Logan McDonald only for him to turn into 2metre peter who was a pick 7. That would be some disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back