List Mgmt. 2020 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is Part 1

The thread is continued in part 2:

We knew they had an interest in one or both of Young and Serong. I fully believe they bid on Henry first out of spite for us trading up past them. I find it a little difficult to believe they rated Henry so far above Green as to justify bidding on Henry first. Their highest ranked clearance player who is not named Patrick Cripps, a ruckman or aged over 30 is averaging 2.9 per game!
If they did it out of spite it just demonstrates how far behind the competition we are with live trading and bidding.

They have already stated that put a bid to give them time to trade pick to the Suns.

I'm aware they were looking for time to trade down. But they were notably into Henry pre-draft, and I'm not sure if it was a different player they didn't really want that they would have bid on our player first.

With that said still ****ed off over it.

Anyone behind the pay wall able to give us the down low.

Anyone behind the pay wall able to give us the down low.
Oh look, it's a West Australian newspaper article promoting the West Coast Eagles over the Fremantle Dockers. Has anyone ever seen one of those before? :think: 🤣

Last year we finished the season with just Lobb and Sandi (from memory)
yeah for the last 4 weeks of last season our tall forwards were Darcy and Barra, with Sandi in the ruck

Don't have text, but will guarantee it's Matera and McCarthy.
bingo, not going to bother bringing it over because it's that small on the two, essentially that those two are looking for new deals, but reduced list sizes could put their freo future in doubt

I really can't see them reducing list sizes too much. Maybe by 5 but they need to be really careful.

This year and most others there is always 1 or 2 teams that have 10-12 on the injury list for 1 or more weeks (i.e. currently 3 teams inc. us have 10; North has 17 inc. a few tests currently). The 22 making the field + 12 injured = 34. If they dropped 10 from a 44 list like what was being suggested, there could quite easily be not enough players on a team to take the field some weeks (or putting injured guys back on when not ready which sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen) leading to an embarrassing situation.

So dropped too far (i.e. by 10 in my opinion) and there is the real potential for embarrassment, or even lawsuits. Doesn't seem worth the cost saving when it is really just a few of your cheapest players anyway. High paid people across most industries have taken a haircut recently and the top paid AFL players may just have to adjust to the same too.

I really can't see them reducing list sizes too much. Maybe by 5 but they need to be really careful.

This year and most others there is always 1 or 2 teams that have 10-12 on the injury list for 1 or more weeks (i.e. currently 3 teams inc. us have 10; North has 17 inc. a few tests currently). The 22 making the field + 12 injured = 34. If they dropped 10 from a 44 list like what was being suggested, there could quite easily be not enough players on a team to take the field some weeks (or putting injured guys back on when not ready which sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen) leading to an embarrassing situation.

So dropped too far (i.e. by 10 in my opinion) and there is the real potential for embarrassment, or even lawsuits. Doesn't seem worth the cost saving when it is really just a few of your cheapest players anyway. High paid people across most industries have taken a haircut recently and the top paid AFL players may just have to adjust to the same too.
This is precisely why they won't cut lists at all this year. The Players Association would never agree to cutting it by 8 or 10 and 3/4 or 5 is pointless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They could reduce list numbers by 4 over the course of the next three years and we won't notice it.

The AFLPA has wanted to remove the rookie list for a while, having players all equal as much as possible. The clubs still want the flexibility to draft to one year contracts so expect the rookie list to disappear, the numbers total to drop and players drafted after pick number 40 or 50 to only get one year deals.

I liked BHill but holy hell did we have our way with St Kilda there. Even if it was Serong alone for Hill you’d take it laughing all the way to the bank.

I wouldn’t be shocked if he requests a trade back home in a few years anyway, when he’s cheap as chips.
it looks like Brad has had a few too many of these recently. Oh well, seagulls do like chips :p

I am not a Bewley basher, but Brad Hill is much much better fatside winger than he is.
more joke ammo,
because I am in such good shape, of course :cool:o_O

They could reduce list numbers by 4 over the course of the next three years and we won't notice it.

The AFLPA has wanted to remove the rookie list for a while, having players all equal as much as possible. The clubs still want the flexibility to draft to one year contracts so expect the rookie list to disappear, the numbers total to drop and players drafted after pick number 40 or 50 to only get one year deals.
So something like main list goes from being min 38 max 40 to being something like a set 40 or 42 with no Cat A Rookies and what our now B rookies become just outside the list additional players without being called rookies (on presumably the same contract terms you describe above for players drafted third round on)?

Either way I can't see a sport hat has 22 playing each week being supportable without the list size being effectively double. Situations where sides have been down to a single side of fit players have happened with lists of over 40. With 34 or 36 person lists it'd happen every year.

If they decide to reduce playing lists and/or rookie lists, they're going to see a rapid decline in NGA investment, which would be horrible for regional football development. They should just keep it as it is.

So something like main list goes from being min 38 max 40 to being something like a set 40 or 42 with no Cat A Rookies and what our now B rookies become just outside the list additional players without being called rookies (on presumably the same contract terms you describe above for players drafted third round on)?

Either way I can't see a sport hat has 22 playing each week being supportable without the list size being effectively double. Situations where sides have been down to a single side of fit players have happened with lists of over 40. With 34 or 36 person lists it'd happen every year.

They would get to have a mid season draft for talent replacement due to injury with less list places.

From a business point of view it would be more content to give to the broadcasters and drive more traffic to the website too.

Now that I'm saying it out loud, it's what I would do to increase fan engagement and content in the middle of the season when the drop hits.

Sure thing I'd expect.

They would get to have a mid season draft for talent replacement due to injury with less list places.

From a business point of view it would be more content to give to the broadcasters and drive more traffic to the website too.

Now that I'm saying it out loud, it's what I would do to increase fan engagement and content in the middle of the season when the drop hits.

Sure thing I'd expect.
The PA is a union and less members equals less power. If they ever agree to anything like this bribery is the only explanation. That and the fact I can't help thinking having the highest paid players as the reps is not good for the collective interest of the bottom 2/3s of them..

Whats this about Hamling not playing again?
Nothing new. He had a staph infection post surgery to his ankle. He is one that definitely had to have surgery for dislocation and medial ligament tear back in Feb. He had follow-up arthroscope in May to supposedly repair scar tissue.

If he had a decent infection I’d imagine he is having issues with the hardware in his ankle joint. All is not lost they are working out whether he will require further arthroscopic repair or just extended time recovering. Either way he is a way off running and Crumpets has gone the Career over route. Crumpets gets all his inside info fromColin Young who is Hamling’s manager and I really doubt Colin would promote an career ending injury which would cause his company to lose some commission in COVID times. As such I’d be guessing but Crumpets has taken the information of possible further surgery for Hamling and run with his career is over so he gets a few more clicks and grumpy Freo supporters.

Nothing new. He had a staph infection post surgery to his ankle. He is one that definitely had to have surgery for dislocation and medial ligament tear back in Feb. He had follow-up arthroscope in May to supposedly repair scar tissue.

If he had a decent infection I’d imagine he is having issues with the hardware in his ankle joint. All is not lost they are working out whether he will require further arthroscopic repair or just extended time recovering. Either way he is a way off running and Crumpets has gone the Career over route. Crumpets gets all his inside info fromColin Young who is Hamling’s manager and I really doubt Colin would promote an career ending injury which would cause his company to lose some commission in COVID times. As such I’d be guessing but Crumpets has taken the information of possible further surgery for Hamling and run with his career is over so he gets a few more clicks and grumpy Freo supporters.
Thanks for the info. Yeah I saw it a few times and thought ohh no.

Absolutely he would have it from Young*. It puts public pressure on the club that Young can exploit in contract negotiations.

*Not "This will be career ending". "But could this be career ending?": "Yes". Knowing full well he'll print it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back