This is Part 1

The thread is continued in part 2:

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
What type of players does our list need?

Pace, Skill, Class and and goal threat. A winger, forward flank and forward pocket are the 3 positions that we need, plus more good midfielders (ideally with speed as we are a bit one paced).

Which players do you want to target?

Collingwood have very good depth and a tight salary cap. Brody Mihocek, de Goey would be great.

Which players should get a new contract, wait and see, be traded or delisted?

Here are the out of contract players. Valente is only one I would be offering a contract to at the moment. The rest I would wait and see how they go.

Name Years Service Status
Bailey Banfield 3 Non-Free Agent
Brandon Matera 3 Non-Free Agent
Brennan Cox 4 Non-Free Agent
Brett Bewley 2 Non-Free Agent
Cameron McCarthy 4 Non-Free Agent
David Mundy 17 Unrestricted Free Agent
Dillon O'Reilly 2 Non-Free Agent
Hugh Dixon 3 Non-Free Agent
Isaiah Butters 1 Non-Free Agent
Jarvis Pina 1 Non-Free Agent
Jason Carter 2 Non-Free Agent
Lachlan Schultz 2 Non-Free Agent
Luke Valente 2 Non-Free Agent
Thomas North 1 Non-Free Agent
Tobe Watson 2 Non-Free Agent

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think even this board has been able to identify the weaknesses in the team that played yesterday and in most cases we already have “potential” replacements that just need time to develop.

Areas that I think we still need to focus on finding more of is

- midfield class and pace, we’re very slow atm and losing Hill, Neale and Langdon is hurting us right now.
- classy small forwards

And we must, must get better at having our players available! At the end of the day, an average list will succeed if the best players are available and the opposite is true, a great list will fail if the best players aren’t available.

Last edited:

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
No chance of lists being reduced to 35 this season. Agree with the need for speed to be added to the team. In saying that, fredericks, Sturt and Henry are all very quick and will make a big impact. Throw in walker and western from the NGA in this years draft pool and we will be getting a lot of pace into the squad.
A good ball user in the midfield with elite skills and pace would be great. And a key position player. Zane Trew and DGB/Logan McDonald would do nicely, alongside western and Walker.

Puregold

All Australian
Jul 29, 2009
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle
What type of players does our list need?

Pace, Skill, Class and and goal threat. A winger, forward flank and forward pocket are the 3 positions that we need, plus more good midfielders (ideally with speed as we are a bit one paced).

Which players do you want to target?

Collingwood have very good depth and a tight salary cap. Brody Mihocek, de Goey would be great.

Which players should get a new contract, wait and see, be traded or delisted?

Here are the out of contract players. Valente is only one I would be offering a contract to at the moment. The rest I would wait and see how they go.

Name Years Service Status
Bailey Banfield 3 Non-Free Agent
Brandon Matera 3 Non-Free Agent
Brennan Cox 4 Non-Free Agent
Brett Bewley 2 Non-Free Agent
Cameron McCarthy 4 Non-Free Agent
David Mundy 17 Unrestricted Free Agent
Dillon O'Reilly 2 Non-Free Agent
Hugh Dixon 3 Non-Free Agent
Isaiah Butters 1 Non-Free Agent
Jarvis Pina 1 Non-Free Agent
Jason Carter 2 Non-Free Agent
Lachlan Schultz 2 Non-Free Agent
Luke Valente 2 Non-Free Agent
Thomas North 1 Non-Free Agent
Tobe Watson 2 Non-Free Agent
Cox should be offered 3 years. He is way too important to us to let go. Was excellent yesterday as a key back and more than adequate filling in up front.
mundy gets another year if he wants one.
mccarthy one more year for mine as well

all players in their first year should get one more. Pina could bethe lock down small we are looking for

Agree with valente
Reckon north, Dixon, O’Reilly or Watson, Bewley, Matera, Schultz will go first. Colyer, swifts and giro May have their contracts voided if we have to go deeper with cuts.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
We need another quality key forward and inside midfield speed (preferrably class too but unlikely). Definitely don't need half back flankers (especially given Walker).

I am 100% keeping Cox on. Being depth at both ends could become very valuable.

So Valente and Cox are definites for me, the rest I wait and see. I desperately want Cam to cement himself this year but I doubt it. Mundy should go out this year, hopefully with a little left in the tank rather than as a washed up has been that seem to define most blokes playing at his age.

I'd also keep Matera but could understand if we didn't.

I’m not up with it, when are these changes likely to implemented? And will it be in one off season or over a number?
Gil has already ruled out a cut to 35 in 2020 I believe. Not sure if he ruled out all cuts this year.

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I’d sign Cox up too. He’s also the player on that list with most trade value so he should be given a contract and if he doesn’t work he can be traded for something worthwhile in return.
Still have hope for Dixon if he can get himself in good shape. Not sure O’Reilly is showing much?
Watson seems to be really pushing Hughes/Duman for a spot. I’d hope Pina, butters and Thomas are given another year.
It seems Pina and Dixon didn’t play the scratchie yesterday either?

Hazelsnuts

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2016
The beach
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
North Beach. AIK Stockholm
We need another quality key forward and inside midfield speed (preferrably class too but unlikely). Definitely don't need half back flankers (especially given Walker).

I am 100% keeping Cox on. Being depth at both ends could become very valuable.

So Valente and Cox are definites for me, the rest I wait and see. I desperately want Cam to cement himself this year but I doubt it. Mundy should go out this year, hopefully with a little left in the tank rather than as a washed up has been that seem to define most blokes playing at his age.

I'd also keep Matera but could understand if we didn't.

Gil has already ruled out a cut to 35 in 2020 I believe. Not sure if he ruled out all cuts this year.

One bloke that we should discussing is Blakely. If we could get a late second rounder for him I would let him explore his options, just can’t see where he will fit in going forward, with Valente in the wings I see him as a dual sided mid with leadership that will remove Blakely from the selection equation.
O’Reilly - I reckon the club sees something in him and he will develop this year if we can get games into him- in the reserves with maybe a couple of senior games to feel him out. He has changed his body shape this preseason and I’m excited to see how he can progress.
We need to draft an ruck-forward and from all accounts Tilthorpe is highly rated- I think others like yourself has him at the top of our absolute needs.
Sean Darcy is a massive worry IMO, we have absolutely nothing to cover him, Frampton would have been a great pick up but that didn’t happen.
Drafting the likes of Rowell and Anderson by GC has had direct dividends this year - there is no substitute for elite talent. We need to get consistent performance from Cerra and Brayshaw - until we do I would be chasing the best midfielder every year as we don’t know if they are going to be A- or solid B graders....

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Cox will be difficult to kept due to job security.

If we had Logan,Hamling,Pearce, Hogan, Taberner, Lobb and Darcy all available, does he get a game?

Adelaide need players and Port might need a key back.

Saints, Roos, Magpies, Hawks, Cats, and Bombers could all do with a key forward or back.

Swans, Lions and Suns could need another key position player.

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Cox will be difficult to kept due to job security.

If we had Logan,Hamling,Pearce, Hogan, Taberner, Lobb and Darcy all available, does he get a game?

Adelaide need players and Port might need a key back.

Saints, Roos, Magpies, Hawks, Cats, and Bombers could all do with a key forward or back.

Swans, Lions and Suns could need another key position player.
True but he has a better injury record than every player you listed apart from Lobb and for that reason alone should be given a 3 year deal.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
True but he has a better injury record than every player you listed apart from Lobb and for that reason alone should be given a 3 year deal.
Supercoach gave the biggest lesson in selection.

Pick players who are going to play 22 games. It’s the total points for the season that counts.

Pearce has only played 1 full season in 5 years.

Taberner has never played a full season.

Darcy seems to break down.

If I was doing Supercoach style list management, I would be trading out Taberner and keeping Cox.

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Watching GC, and their kids highlights the same direction we need to be heading, some short term pain
but when it does click look out.
I really don't know if we need more mids, when JLo hasn't backed the newbies yet.
But Serong, Valente, appear logical replacements for the foot soldier path we have begun.
Sturt in one game showed his class, something that cannot be taught, and if the others take
a few games to adjust, back them in.
One thing M Harvey did for this club right was cutting the deadwood and playing youth.
On that note Tilthorpe if available you pounce, otherwise I like Callow, McDonald, with our
NGA prospects.
If we do see U18's I expect Callow to rise in the standings, already a lump of a lad.
Which corralates with our major issue durability, and our S&C also needs an injection of
Youth.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
One bloke that we should discussing is Blakely. If we could get a late second rounder for him I would let him explore his options, just can’t see where he will fit in going forward, with Valente in the wings I see him as a dual sided mid with leadership that will remove Blakely from the selection equation.
O’Reilly - I reckon the club sees something in him and he will develop this year if we can get games into him- in the reserves with maybe a couple of senior games to feel him out. He has changed his body shape this preseason and I’m excited to see how he can progress.
We need to draft an ruck-forward and from all accounts Tilthorpe is highly rated- I think others like yourself has him at the top of our absolute needs.
Sean Darcy is a massive worry IMO, we have absolutely nothing to cover him, Frampton would have been a great pick up but that didn’t happen.
Drafting the likes of Rowell and Anderson by GC has had direct dividends this year - there is no substitute for elite talent. We need to get consistent performance from Cerra and Brayshaw - until we do I would be chasing the best midfielder every year as we don’t know if they are going to be A- or solid B graders....
Blakely is an interesting one. Too good for WAFL.

Tried as back with ok success, did well as a tagger and way down the list of midfielders.

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
I’d sign Cox up too. He’s also the player on that list with most trade value so he should be given a contract and if he doesn’t work he can be traded for something worthwhile in return.
Still have hope for Dixon if he can get himself in good shape. Not sure O’Reilly is showing much?
Watson seems to be really pushing Hughes/Duman for a spot. I’d hope Pina, butters and Thomas are given another year.
It seems Pina and Dixon didn’t play the scratchie yesterday either?
I agree about Watson.

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle
Most here are pretty close to the mark , keeping cox is an absolute no brainer ASAIC.
I’m also of the belief Taberner and blakely should be firmly on the trade table . Reasonable players in their own right but I struggle to see Where they fit in our side in terms of ideal structure/better options available

In years gone by we would hold on to these type of players only for them not to deliver and end up delisting them for nothing - lose/lose situation( think Zac Clarke/C Pearce/NSuban etc.
For once I want Fremantle to make a (semi) brave call and trade these players while they still have currency so we can address holes in the list better.

In terms of direct needs:
Definitely need a small quick lockdown defender- maybe pina?.
Another fast ,skilful x factor small forward- we have Henry already maybe western?
Also agree our first should definitely be going on a quick/burst pace skilful inside mid- Zane Trew looks to fit the bill and another KPF- Logan McDonald hopefully available with our second

I still have major hopes for Hugh Dixon -got all the physical attributes but Is clearly struggling with the mental aspect required to succeed

Shoeless Joe

Team Captain
May 22, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Why on earth has trav colyer got another year after this. Got completely shafted by Essendon on that deal.
Never going to get anywhere with list cloggers like him on the list

Totally agree. Im sure we could have at least kept his contract to 2 years. As much as Im not a fan , I will admit he didnt fumble below his knees this time out...a nice change

Is there a mid season draft this year
We are down to one recognized ruckman (who doesnt want to play there) and we are only 2 games in..

Maybe get Sandy off the lawnmower?

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Totally agree. Im sure we could have at least kept his contract to 2 years. As much as Im not a fan , I will admit he didnt fumble below his knees this time out...a nice change

Is there a mid season draft this year
We are down to one recognized ruckman (who doesnt want to play there) and we are only 2 games in..

Maybe get Sandy off the lawnmower?
He was playing for North Fremantle.

Hazelsnuts

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2016
The beach
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
North Beach. AIK Stockholm
Watching GC, and their kids highlights the same direction we need to be heading, some short term pain
but when it does click look out.
I really don't know if we need more mids, when JLo hasn't backed the newbies yet.
But Serong, Valente, appear logical replacements for the foot soldier path we have begun.
Sturt in one game showed his class, something that cannot be taught, and if the others take
a few games to adjust, back them in.
One thing M Harvey did for this club right was cutting the deadwood and playing youth.
On that note Tilthorpe if available you pounce, otherwise I like Callow, McDonald, with our
NGA prospects.
If we do see U18's I expect Callow to rise in the standings, already a lump of a lad.
Which corralates with our major issue durability, and our S&C also needs an injection of
Youth.
Do you know of any vision of Callow?

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Would be a bit disappointed if we fill in with Lobb instead of playing Meek if Darcy is out for a fair while. Either that or recruit a very good one next draft. Not sure if Darcy will ever offer much around the ground. He is still young, so I hope I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back