List Mgmt. 2020 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is Part 1

The thread is continued in part 2:

Going by Twomey’s last rankings, Trew and O’Driscoll should be there. Perkins and Carroll would be my go to if they’re gone. Eddie Ford another one too that could come up in discussions, half forward who is modelling his game on Fyfe, he reached out to Freo earlier in the year for footage of Fyfe.
I like the lot of them, with Trew probably least preferred. Just too inside.

North board are saying that we are into their rookie Kyron Hayden (Originally from Subi). 21yrs 186cm midfielder. Never heard of him. 🤷‍♂️
That would be surprising since he has shown very little and what he has done has been as a defender. If there is one thing we don't need, it is defenders.

I suppose we could rate him as a mid but don't see how he gets a game. Think I'll put this one in the believe it when I see it category.

That would be surprising since he has shown very little and what he has done has been as a defender. If there is one thing we don't need, it is defenders.

I suppose we could rate him as a mid but don't see how he gets a game. Think I'll put this one in the believe it when I see it category.

yeah no thanks. Would rather turn one of our defenders into a mid.

Oh agree. I have heard rumours that this interweb thing may not be accurate.😜

yeah no thanks. Would rather turn one of our defenders into a mid.
We are drafting at least one this year anyway (Western) and still haven't played Valente or North yet either (although they are no guarantee to be here next year). Just can't see it.

In fact, I can't see us trading for anybody that isn't a walk up B22 player.

We are drafting at least one this year anyway (Western) and still haven't played Valente or North yet either (although they are no guarantee to be here next year). Just can't see it.

They are saying he would be a FA as he was delisted and then re-rookied so he wouldn’t cost us anything. As I say though probably BS. I just felt like channeling Hackdorn.🤪

yep agree.
Wouldn’t be surprised if Freo does one of the following.
- trades out of the 1st round this season. Maybe for a 1st next year and some later Academy picks.
- trades up aggressively in the draft order to try get McDonald

yep agree.
Wouldn’t be surprised if Freo does one of the following.
- trades out of the 1st round this season. Maybe for a 1st next year and some later Academy picks.
- trades up aggressively in the draft order to try get McDonald
I'd be extremely surprised if we did either of those things.

We've had a hard on for trading future picks for current picks/players for years. Can't see us delaying a year of development of a first rounder.

Also can't see the Crows or North trading pick 1 or 2 and if they did we'd have to bend over, which I don't think we do.

Freo might be looking at JACOB
VAN ROOYEN for next year as a KPF, so could be looking at chips next year in the Draft, that being the case might look at trade period action to get more of a stake next year.

This year may be a slow draft period if we can’t see us getting near the pointy end.

To many unknowns yet. Can’t see us taking more than 4 players in the off season.

At this stage the most likely is:

Pencil in Walker and Western
A tall to develop late in the draft.
Our first pick will be traded for a player or best available.
Chris Walker or Sam Alvarez as a Cat B

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Where is Jesse Motlop going to go? His goal kicking has been huge. Just a lazy 4.2 and 14 disposals in colts as a bottom ager. If he is likely for 1st round in 2021 wouldn’t want another 1st round 2021 as one will be eaten up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where is Jesse Motlop going to go? His goal kicking has been huge. Just a lazy 4.2 and 14 disposals in colts as a bottom ager. If he is likely for 1st round in 2021 wouldn’t want another 1st round 2021 as one will be eaten up.
Its apparently a terrific draft and not many pure small forwards go top 10, completely guessing but I'd back him to go 20+ unless he completely dominates next year

We've had a hard on for trading future picks for current picks/players for years. Can't see us delaying a year of development of a first rounder.

Also can't see the Crows or North trading pick 1 or 2 and if they did we'd have to bend over, which I don't think we do.
Yep agree. Really get the feeling we be a low key player in trade period. Think we’ll go best available with our first pick around the 15 mark. Likely a midfielder - with a preference for outside run and good leg speed or key position backline depth. Longmuir has said he is also keen to get another ruck that can pinch hit forward, this would more likely be a mature age option or late pick trade (like a future third).

We will likely go 3-4 picks In ND, potentially one low cost Trade and one trade out (for mine Connor Blakely).

If a player can’t get a game at the worst team I the AFL, he’s going back to Scabbiaco.

Its apparently a terrific draft and not many pure small forwards go top 10, completely guessing but I'd back him to go 20+ unless he completely dominates next year

Without looking at the competition for next year, there have been a number of small forwards that have gone very early in recent years, including Rankine (3), Rozee (5), Rayner (1), Stephenson (6), Ainsworth (6), Henry (9), Flanders (10) but many of those are on the promise of potential to play elsewhere. However, the best small forwards that are tending towards only going to be able to play small forward tend to go between 10 - 20; Pickett, Bergman and Weightman from last year for example went 11, 14 and 15 respectively.

I note that BigDance back in June has written him off as being too small for AFL and not special enough, and I reckon eDPS rates Bartlett (what is his status with us) better but assuming the best with Motlop (he is our best performed NGA so far probably) you could maybe argue on currently trajectory that he could be in the discussion for the 15-40 "mark"? Without out the levelers that are either WAFL seniors or National U18 championships it is hard to say.

I have to say I am not as enthusiastic about Jacob Van Rooyen as a bottom ager as I was about Logan McDonald; McDonald did much more in his early year at Colts level. In terms of the top talent, generally Horne and Nick Daicos (Twomey's crush) are the ones talked about a fair bit but there is a strong crop of Vic mid/med. forward types led by Rachele, Sonsie, Hobbs and Sinn that look like they are going to make up the bulk of the Top 10.

I guess all I am saying is that whilst we have lots of NGA and F/S prospects for next year, I am not necessarily sure we should be jumping up and down excitedly and selling the house to get into it next year.

Without looking at the competition for next year, there have been a number of small forwards that have gone very early in recent years, including Rankine (3), Rozee (5), Rayner (1), Stephenson (6), Ainsworth (6), Henry (9), Flanders (10) but many of those are on the promise of potential to play elsewhere. However, the best small forwards that are tending towards only going to be able to play small forward tend to go between 10 - 20; Pickett, Bergman and Weightman from last year for example went 11, 14 and 15 respectively.

I note that BigDance back in June has written him off as being too small for AFL and not special enough, and I reckon eDPS rates Bartlett (what is his status with us) better but assuming the best with Motlop (he is our best performed NGA so far probably) you could maybe argue on currently trajectory that he could be in the discussion for the 15-40 "mark"? Without out the levelers that are either WAFL seniors or National U18 championships it is hard to say.

I have to say I am not as enthusiastic about Jacob Van Rooyen as a bottom ager as I was about Logan McDonald; McDonald did much more in his early year at Colts level. In terms of the top talent, generally Horne and Nick Daicos (Twomey's crush) are the ones talked about a fair bit but there is a strong crop of Vic mid/med. forward types led by Rachele, Sonsie, Hobbs and Sinn that look like they are going to make up the bulk of the Top 10.

I guess all I am saying is that whilst we have lots of NGA and F/S prospects for next year, I am not necessarily sure we should be jumping up and down excitedly and selling the house to get into it next year.
Thanks for the info about next years draft and the go home factor.

I wouldn’t. Why not get creative to try land a top Draftee? Or even trade into next years draft Considering how compromised this years is and teams being willing to trade for points.

Delay Development of 1 kid for 1 year? Meh. drafted 3 top 10s last year. Got 2 pretty decent NGAs coming in. Plenty of talent to develop.

imo this is the year to rattle the cage a bit and see what we can do.

I don't think anyone is seriously putting Van Rooyen in the same league as (potential #1 pick) McDonald. Hard to get an accurate read on where he sits given there hasn't been any u18 champs this year. Jacob has done about as much as you could expect of a key forward at WAFL Colts level as a bottom ager. Hopefully he continues developing and has a top age year closer to McDonald's than O'Reilly's. U16s in 2019 only had one tall forward in the AA team so there seems to be an opportunity for him to stand out if he can grasp it.

Bartlett (who is in our NGA) and Motlop are also both talented enough to be u18 AA next season as a medium and small forward respectively. Lots of doubling down on the criticisms of Motlop but he's dominated at every level he's been at this year. What I liked in his recent Colts game was he's clearly working hard on his defensive aspects as well as being the most dangerous player with ball in hand inside 50.

Add in Kobe Farmer (f/s), Dallas McAdam and Josh Draper and that's a lot in the mix for WA's 2021 u18 forward line that are linked to Freo. Luke Brown (199cm 16yo) is coming along nicely and balances it nicely. Can't wait to see them in action - just hope the WA midfield (15yo Jed Hagan helps which seems crazy even thinking about) can give them enough supply so we can see what they've got. Then again, we probably don't want them too expensive :)

I wouldn’t. Why not get creative to try land a top Draftee? Or even trade into next years draft Considering how compromised this years is and teams being willing to trade for points.

Delay Development of 1 kid for 1 year? Meh. drafted 3 top 10s last year. Got 2 pretty decent NGAs coming in. Plenty of talent to develop.

imo this is the year to rattle the cage a bit and see what we can do.
I'd bet money that the club doesn't do it. I'm not saying there isn't any merit to it, just that we wouldn't do it.

I don't think anyone is seriously putting Van Rooyen in the same league as (potential #1 pick) McDonald. Hard to get an accurate read on where he sits given there hasn't been any u18 champs this year. Jacob has done about as much as you could expect of a key forward at WAFL Colts level as a bottom ager. Hopefully he continues developing and has a top age year closer to McDonald's than O'Reilly's. U16s in 2019 only had one tall forward in the AA team so there seems to be an opportunity for him to stand out if he can grasp it.
:)

I think Logan McDonald is an outstanding talent, just likely to be out of our reach this year.

Given the compromised Draft this year, and the reduced depth of higher talent available after the initial top 5 this year, I think it may be prudent to increase the presence in next years Draft.

The alternative is to go all in to get higher up the ladder this year to nab McDonald or another key positional player, ie Tilthorpe or DGB.

We generally have depth across the list assuming no injuries.

Given the age of our current list, I think flipping into next years may end up getting us higher quality players than what we are likely to get this year, unless we decide to use next years picks to jump up the rankings this year.

I’m just seeing us being active in pick trades this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back