List Mgmt. 2020 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is Part 1

The thread is continued in part 2:

We'll be active with picks most likely because we probably need more points for NGA.

Can't see us moving up unless its live trading to get say Thilthorp if he slides to 8+. There don't appear to be any quality outside types early in this draft and I think with our pick out to 11, McDonald is a pipe dream.
it’d have to be Weller 2.0 to even be a chance

I hope that the club considers all possibilities. It is an unusual set of circumstances and there may be opportunities. Ex WA players may need to come home. Players who have been on our radar may be underrated. A club such as GCSs may be throwing picks around. There is value in having an open mind.

Whats the nga boys like? Are they any good?

Western and walker obviously. I haven't seen anything of them. Is there a player they are sort of comparatable to

I usually dislike trading future picks. I am never convinced we get value. This year is the oposite. As always we have very few pick currently but this article (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...e/news-story/aea62fc1e84a544116801409a10a40b3) makes a great point. There's a lot of risk in this year's draft and some clubs have huge exposure (Adelaide, Geelong, Brisabe and Melbourne). It would not surprise me if they looked to trade away that risk. Our lack of picks means that for us taking another pick is relatively low risk. We could get good value trading furture picks this year.

I have opined before about the risk vs reward of this year's COVID draft. We have drafted well recently and I am firmly in the camp of betting on our draft team. I am boyant that we can trade for good picks this year and find tallent that falls because of the poor talent scouting in other teams. This is a Warren Buffet moment IMHO, "Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful."
Best of all given the success of the last few years I don't view this a huge risk for us. Looking at our list our youth looks like it will cover needs so there is no absolute requirements this year.

Western and walker obviously. I haven't seen anything of them. Is there a player they are sort of comparatable to

Western has been described as a better version of Shai Bolton by a draft watcher.

Walker is an attacking HB with elite pace and decision making. Bit of a brute as well.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Western has been described as a better version of Shai Bolton by a draft watcher.

Walker is an attacking HB with elite pace and decision making. Bit of a brute as well.

I'm glad someone else mentioned it because its what I see as well (not necessarily better but the Bolton comparison)

Was this from a recruiter or one of the guys on here?

Joel Western - very small (probably 172cm but may be 174cm) but very fast (as in probably will break records, sub 2.8sec for 20m sprint) at the combine player; mainly been playing as a rover-style midfielder in the Colts, picking up large numbers of disposals. Kicking was untidy last year but has picked up a little bit to probably be described as neat. No doubt he is AFL level, but the question is where he plays? As a complete package he won't push out any of the guys we have playing in the centre already, so you are talking either playing forward or wing. Nice to have maybe, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone else bids and we don't match. I don't like comparisons but....maybe a shorter, not as good kick Shae Bolton type (note I hadn't seen Macs post when I had written this)?

Brandon Walker - IMO underrated on this board but basically a pretty much what most recruiters are looking for in a non main midfielder / KP - all the athletic traits (speed, leap, height) and also a good reader of the play and most importantly good by foot or hand. Had good possession numbers the second half of the colts season and was very close (was an emergency) for the seniors side. Can play half back or wing and probably other positions not tried. Again don't like comparisons but plays like a bigger, smoother, more football savvy version of Frederick with hints of Chris Judd at time when he goes on one of his line breaking runs. There?

I usually dislike trading future picks. I am never convinced we get value. This year is the oposite. As always we have very few pick currently but this article (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...e/news-story/aea62fc1e84a544116801409a10a40b3) makes a great point. There's a lot of risk in this year's draft and some clubs have huge exposure (Adelaide, Geelong, Brisabe and Melbourne). It would not surprise me if they looked to trade away that risk. Our lack of picks means that for us taking another pick is relatively low risk. We could get good value trading furture picks this year.

I have opined before about the risk vs reward of this year's COVID draft. We have drafted well recently and I am firmly in the camp of betting on our draft team. I am boyant that we can trade for good picks this year and find tallent that falls because of the poor talent scouting in other teams. This is a Warren Buffet moment IMHO, "Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful."
Best of all given the success of the last few years I don't view this a huge risk for us. Looking at our list our youth looks like it will cover needs so there is no absolute requirements this year.
List managers and recruiting staff overrated their teams ladder position following year and their ability to spot talent.

I agree that trading future picks is dangerous.

Would be interesting if a team traded out current picks because the other team wants to pay overs in future picks.

Joel Western - very small (probably 172cm but may be 174cm) but very fast (as in probably will break records, sub 2.8sec for 20m sprint) at the combine player; mainly been playing as a rover-style midfielder in the Colts, picking up large numbers of disposals. Kicking was untidy last year but has picked up a little bit to probably be described as neat. No doubt he is AFL level, but the question is where he plays? As a complete package he won't push out any of the guys we have playing in the centre already, so you are talking either playing forward or wing. Nice to have maybe, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone else bids and we don't match. I don't like comparisons but....maybe a shorter, not as good kick Shae Bolton type (note I hadn't seen Macs post when I had written this)?

Brandon Walker - IMO underrated on this board but basically a pretty much what most recruiters are looking for in a non main midfielder / KP - all the athletic traits (speed, leap, height) and also a good reader of the play and most importantly good by foot or hand. Had good possession numbers the second half of the colts season and was very close (was an emergency) for the seniors side. Can play half back or wing and probably other positions not tried. Again don't like comparisons but plays like a bigger, smoother, more football savvy version of Frederick with hints of Chris Judd at time when he goes on one of his line breaking runs. There?

I hope we don’t pass on Western. He sounds exactly what we need on our list imo.

Jack Carroll has a broken wrist so won't be seen again pre draft :( Some might see it as a big reach but I would not be against this guy in the mix with our first.

Western - I think I may have made the Bolton comparison in terms of wing and inside mid a few weeks ago. Western's played a bit as a forward as well so I'm pretty certain that's where we'll start him (use him like we have used Colyer). Bolton's kicking was one of his weaknesses pre-draft as well which is why some crazy people on BF didn't rate him. I still think with a lot of these speedsters it's because they don't slow down a bit before they kick - thereby rushing everything and not executing well. The separation they get from their speed can give them that extra fraction of a second to execute the kick better so I think in most cases it can be improved a lot in a professional environment.

Walker - I agree with Ysaye that he's a bit underrated. That's not uncommon for half back flankers though :) I'm kind of glad East Freo didn't play him on ball because this kid is classy enough to bolt up the order and cost us a lot more than he hopefully will.

Haddow has also put his hand up big time lately. Had 30d on the weekend and his leadership has been outstanding. Chris Walker is like a perfect Cat B rookie as well - not quite at the level of his brother but plenty to work with. I really hope they don't get rid of Cat Bs (outside of max list size) - crosses fingers.

I just watched the Logan McDonald clips :oops:

I don't usually throw superlatives around but this fella is pretty good at footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Western is 172cm? That’s my height! Mini for an AFL player! Lucky he has a lot on his side that I don’t - he’s young, he’s fast, he’s fit, he’s thin, he’s agile, he can kick a footy further than 15m without doing a calf, a hammy and a groin. The list goes on.

But I bet I’m way better at watching Netflix than he is. Come at me Joel 😳📺

Last edited:
Our Covid reality provides interesting context. There must be a few WA footy deprived early picks not currently B22 for their Eastern clubs. Wouldn’t surprise me if a few are homesick.

Where is Jesse Motlop going to go? His goal kicking has been huge. Just a lazy 4.2 and 14 disposals in colts as a bottom ager. If he is likely for 1st round in 2021 wouldn’t want another 1st round 2021 as one will be eaten up.
AFL most likely change the NGA rules. NGA won’t be available in the first or second rounds of the draft.

We won’t have access to Motlop.

Jack Carroll has a broken wrist so won't be seen again pre draft :( Some might see it as a big reach but I would not be against this guy in the mix with our first.

Western - I think I may have made the Bolton comparison in terms of wing and inside mid a few weeks ago. Western's played a bit as a forward as well so I'm pretty certain that's where we'll start him (use him like we have used Colyer). Bolton's kicking was one of his weaknesses pre-draft as well which is why some crazy people on BF didn't rate him. I still think with a lot of these speedsters it's because they don't slow down a bit before they kick - thereby rushing everything and not executing well. The separation they get from their speed can give them that extra fraction of a second to execute the kick better so I think in most cases it can be improved a lot in a professional environment.

Walker - I agree with Ysaye that he's a bit underrated. That's not uncommon for half back flankers though :) I'm kind of glad East Freo didn't play him on ball because this kid is classy enough to bolt up the order and cost us a lot more than he hopefully will.

Haddow has also put his hand up big time lately. Had 30d on the weekend and his leadership has been outstanding. Chris Walker is like a perfect Cat B rookie as well - not quite at the level of his brother but plenty to work with. I really hope they don't get rid of Cat Bs (outside of max list size) - crosses fingers.

That’s a shame about Carroll. I was hoping like crazy that he’d play this week as I’ll more than likely get along for a look.
Agree that Bigfooty has him as a stretch but gut feel tells me that in the real world he’s rated higher and I certainly wouldn’t be disappointed if we took him.

Hope you’re right and I’m wrong.

The points system already has a discount in it.

I would love the media to actually look into the 25% point discount. I think you would find the actual discount is far smaller as clubs are asking for overs for clubs that are trading to accumulate points.

I would love the media to actually look into the 25% point discount. I think you would find the actual discount is far smaller as clubs are asking for overs for clubs that are trading to accumulate points.

By the same token, there's no way the bulldogs could secure pick #1 with their first this year and next, yet they will.

Even our own for Henry would never work.

All because the AFL didn't want teams trading bulk later picks for first rounders off the northern academy teams, and then the rest wanted a slice of the advantage pie too.

And we really do need it. Just to keep up with the sides that still have father son picks from the third round that would have been pick #1.

Has GWS' salary cap been reduced to normal? I wonder if another fire sale is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back