List Mgmt. 2020 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is Part 1

The thread is continued in part 2:

31 probably close to 32 when next season starts.

Hawks don’t mind parting ways with their superstars when they’ve still got a bit more to offer. Hasn’t really worked so far in regards to sustained success. Geelong have kept there’s & been there about for a decade+.

Geez I’d hate to see Pav, Walters & Fyfe finish up at other clubs like Mitchell, Hodge, Birchall & now Smith have done.
You would have to pretty peeved if you were Clark or Constable when they bring in people like Higgins and Smith, the Cats are certainly not showing any confidence in their youth.

Correct. Plus at least one academy pick ahead of us. The deficit from last season is starting to really hurt.
Because the deficit pushed us from ahead of the giants in the draft order to behind them, we are getting screwed even further via the FA compo picks. Williams is a certainty to push us back an extra spot. Crouch seems unlikely at this stage to get pick 2 but who the * knows! Cameron - that’s a tricky one to figure out.
Daniher will push us back another slot - would have happened regardless of the deficit though. I predict pick 15 on draft night once the NGA bids are done.
One consolation is that if we aren’t picking in the top 6, there isn’t much difference between the next 10 odd players in the draft it seems..

What is everyone's thoughts on Peter Wright?

Gold Coast want to move him on and it sounds like no one is interested. He's still only 24 and could be a soft replacement for Hogan.

Like for like, his forward production is better than Lobb but not as strong as a ruck-cover, but he would provide further depth in two areas where we need it. He's also played every game of his career in the worst AFL side in the modern era. He didn't play a game in 2020 but he was never going to play ahead of Ben King this year.

If Hogan leaves, what other KPF's are available that won't cost too much in terms of salary and trade value?

Jarrod Brander, Peter Wright, Brody Mihocek.

Do we play Fyfe as a CHF or push Cox up forward?

Pretty grim options.

You would have to pretty peeved if you were Clark or Constable when they bring in people like Higgins and Smith, the Cats are certainly not showing any confidence in their youth.

I think they’re throwing everything at the next couple of years while Danger and Selwood are still contributing. After that they are rooted.

What is everyone's thoughts on Peter Wright?

Gold Coast want to move him on and it sounds like no one is interested. He's still only 24 and could be a soft replacement for Hogan.

Like for like, his forward production is better than Lobb but not as strong as a ruck-cover, but he would provide further depth in two areas where we need it. He's also played every game of his career in the worst AFL side in the modern era. He didn't play a game in 2020 but he was never going to play ahead of Ben King this year.
Too slow, I don't we could play him and Lobb in the same forward line.

with all the crazy free agency comp going around we'll be lucky to have our first pick in the top 15 at this rate
Our pick 10 will be 12 or 13.

GWS are a lock to match on Cameron.

Zac Williams top 10 compo, Daniher expected to be top 10 compo (but not a guarantee - seems Brisbane have increased the salary to help their cause) and Brad Crouch possibly pick 2 compo but again the initial contract from Saints was nowhere near the mark for band 1 compo. They have had to up the salary to get them in the mix but no guarantee. The Saints has a lengthy contract (5 years) all along but on lower annual salary (with some incentives). If they are paying Crouch around on average $750,000 for 4-5 years that is terrible list management just to avoid having to trade.

I liked this coz I want Clark, then I unliked coz I dont want to lose Hogan.

I'm confused.

Smith coming to Geelong has to be the one that breaks the back of Geelong right? You can be the best cap managers in the world but someone decent has to come out if you are bringing in Cameron, Smith and Higgins

If Hogan leaves, what other KPF's are available that won't cost too much in terms of salary and trade value?

Jarrod Brander, Peter Wright, Brody Mihocek.

Do we play Fyfe as a CHF or push Cox up forward?

Pretty grim options.
Would hardly describe Fyfe at CHF as grim.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At this stage I think peeps should consign themselves to Hogan being out the door, I'll be stunned if he's playing for us next year.

It takes a remarkable effort to be the worst ever trade in Freo history but it appears we have done it with the original Hogan trade. I do find it incredibly disappointing we cant get ANYTHING out of wayward players where every successful clubs seems to be able to. We had better have a plan to bring in a developing / ready to go KPF or two somehow because I've got no idea what we are going to do when Tabs goes down

I liked this coz I want Clark, then I unliked coz I dont want to lose Hogan.

I'm confused.

Smith coming to Geelong has to be the one that breaks the back of Geelong right? You can be the best cap managers in the world but someone decent has to come out if you are bringing in Cameron, Smith and Higgins
I’m the same. I just can’t see cats letting Clark go though. I’m now resigned to losing hogan.

At this stage I think peeps should consign themselves to Hogan being out the door, I'll be stunned if he's playing for us next year.

It takes a remarkable effort to be the worst ever trade in Freo history but it appears we have done it with the original Hogan trade. I do find it incredibly disappointing we cant get ANYTHING out of wayward players where every successful clubs seems to be able to. We had better have a plan to bring in a developing / ready to go KPF or two somehow because I've got no idea what we are going to do when it happens

I'm seething at how this has played out. No wonder we don't have any flags.

I’m the same. I just can’t see cats letting Clark go though. I’m now resigned to losing hogan.
I assume with Smith committing its in their best interests to let him go.

I imagine behind the scenes Clark has said he's annoyed at the lack of opportunity and wouldnt mind heading back and might head back after the contract ends anyway, isnt unhappy to stay. Geelong's cap will likely be a lot easier to manage with his money off their books (jumping off rookie wages next year remember). So, if it helps get them Smith, Cameron and Higgins and opens up cap space options, they have an incentive to let him go

It takes a remarkable effort to be the worst ever trade in Freo history but it appears we have done it with the original Hogan trade. I do find it incredibly disappointing we cant get ANYTHING out of wayward players where every successful clubs seems to be able to. We had better have a plan to bring in a developing / ready to go KPF or two somehow because I've got no idea what we are going to do when it happens

I honestly couldn't believe we were ever a chance of getting Hogan, same as I never thought we'd really be able to get Bennell... Turns out it was too good to be true after all and now we have to hope there's another club as stupid as us to sell the farm for him...

It's no secret that I think sacking Ross was a stupid decision and I readily admit that it has changed my perception of this club but I find myself just constantly wondering if any of the admin side of our club are competent at all.

Any takers for Majak Daw as a low cost Forward/Ruck back up? Could cover for both Lobb & Tabs should either of those get injured (which will undoubtably happen).

Any takers for Majak Daw as a low cost Forward/Ruck back up? Could cover for both Lobb & Tabs should either of those get injured (which will undoubtably happen).
Nope.

I assume with Smith committing its in their best interests to let him go.

I imagine behind the scenes Clark has said he's annoyed at the lack of opportunity and wouldnt mind heading back and might head back after the contract ends anyway, isnt unhappy to stay. Geelong's cap will likely be a lot easier to manage with his money off their books (jumping off rookie wages next year remember). So, if it helps get them Smith, Cameron and Higgins and opens up cap space options, they have an incentive to let him go

Clarke must have re-signed already if he has 2 yrs to go on his deal ... no ?

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back