List Mgmt. 2020 List Management II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Treloar is a salary dump for the Pies.

Contracted to 2025 @ $800K - $1m = $4m-$5m.
Dodgy hamstrings are generally a bigger problem as you age, and he is 28-32 years old to 2025.

Logical buyer is Norfs in exchange for Ben Brown.
I'd take him if they paid 30-50% of his salary and would take 16ish. If we could split 7 for 16+18.

Use 18+ future 1st for Oliver.
Use 16 for Treloar
Use 27 for Saad
And take Williams as FA.

Edit:. Yeah, it's wishful thinking and chances of it happening are infinitesimal at best.

Is anyone else concerned about the way we are spending the money available in our salary cap over the last couple of years ?
We worked really hard to finally get our tpp in order and we seem to be wasting a lot of it almost in desperation just to get some players through the door.

$1.4mil plus on two halfbacks in Williams and Saad, McGovern a 3rd/4th forward rumoured anywhere between 600-800, Eddie Betts love him but he was finished two seasons ago on around 500.
Jack Martin is the only player we’ve brought in or will bring in on good money who will earn the contract we have given to him.

Thankfully we stayed away from Ellis and the 600 we were apparently prepared to pay him.
I still see a big gap in our midfield that needs fixing and to a slightly lesser extent a developing key defender, I would have thought these would be the priority rather than flankers, 3rd/4th forwards or old forward pockets.

For me this is why pick 7 should not be used in any trade unless it’s for a gun midfielder, If Essendon want more than pick 27 for Saad, upgrade it for a pick in the late teens using next years 2nd round pick and if that’s not good enough take the risk on walking him to the national draft no team is selecting him using a top 20 pick.

I hope we are realistic and direct this trade period. Realistically, getting a gun mid over the line through a trade is tough and if we don't get genuine interest from our targets early we need to look elsewhere. If pick 7 has to be involved in a trade for Saad, we should split it into late first rounders and use one to secure Saad and use the other to ask the question of Caldwell. His numbers when playing as the 5th midfielder for the Giants with little time at stoppages is very impressive, his speed is elite and his foot skills are more than enough. With Caldwell, Setters, Dow, Kemp as midfield prospects supporting Crippa, Ed, Walsh and potentially Williams we are set. A great mix of endurance, size and speed. Our 2nd rounder can then be used to target a small froward in the draft.

Is anyone else concerned about the way we are spending the money available in our salary cap over the last couple of years ?
We worked really hard to finally get our tpp in order and we seem to be wasting a lot of it almost in desperation just to get some players through the door.

$1.4mil plus on two halfbacks in Williams and Saad, McGovern a 3rd/4th forward rumoured anywhere between 600-800, Eddie Betts love him but he was finished two seasons ago on around 500.
Jack Martin is the only player we’ve brought in or will bring in on good money who will earn the contract we have given to him.

Thankfully we stayed away from Ellis and the 600 we were apparently prepared to pay him.
I still see a big gap in our midfield that needs fixing and to a slightly lesser extent a developing key defender, I would have thought these would be the priority rather than flankers, 3rd/4th forwards or old forward pockets.

For me this is why pick 7 should not be used in any trade unless it’s for a gun midfielder, If Essendon want more than pick 27 for Saad, upgrade it for a pick in the late teens using next years 2nd round pick and if that’s not good enough take the risk on walking him to the national draft no team is selecting him using a top 20 pick.

Absolutely!!! SOS statement this morning regarding our player payment misalignment has confirmed my thoughts that we are no longer in control of our cap. After all the hard work. :'( :(:mad:

We've only got two years to spend 105% of the cap because of banking cap space for the previous two years. If we don't spend the extra 5%, it disappears.

Better to spend and front load to be able to get benefits being transferred across multiple seasons.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We've only got two years to spend 105% of the cap because of banking cap space for the previous two years. If we don't spend the extra 5%, it disappears.

Better to spend and front load to be able to get benefits being transferred across multiple seasons.

You need to listen ta what SoS was saying re: Betts & Simmo contracts.
Not about front or future loading. It’s about scaling ala Geelong as an example.
You start paying players within a different pay scale and you lose control!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, you have to spend 95% of it every year. Thus we are front loading some of these contracts to ensure availability in later years. If you want guns, you have to pay. All these players were worth is, except Gov with benefit of hindsight. There are no guarantees in this business.
Saad, Williams and some lower profile additions gives us at least a B in this period. Anything else is a bonus and we have the cap space to spend.

Nah, you have to spend 95% of it every year. Thus we are front loading some of these contracts to ensure availability in later years. If you want guns, you have to pay. All these players were worth is, except Gov with benefit of hindsight. There are no guarantees in this business.
Saad, Williams and some lower profile additions gives us at least a B in this period. Anything else is a bonus and we have the cap space to spend.
The assumption I made was that we'd be at or over the 95% mark for next year.

You are right. If we can keep it at 95% (for 2021) and miss out on another A Grader, then we could just sit back and go up to 105% for 2022.

Might help get Merrett or similar.

Williams is on probably over $400k less then what we were offering Shiel and COGs (and didn’t have to trade for him like we would’ve Shiel) Saad is on the same as Martin and has twice the amount of runs on the board, MMG was paid under SOS, This is the first time I’ve heard Eddie was on $500k and if that’s right it is ridiculous.
So no I’m not worried because nothing noticeable has really changed under the new regime imo maybe Betts but I don’t believe that figure and it’s not much more then Fasolo who we would’ve paid ~$800k to and Betts isn’t here for what he does on field.

EMERGING ruckman Tom De Koning has committed his future to the Blues, signing a two-year extension.

Today’s announcement ensures the Carlton faithful will see De Koning’s career continue to flourish until at least the end of 2023.

Williams is on probably over $400k less then what we were offering Shiel and COGs (and didn’t have to trade for him like we would’ve Shiel) Saad is on the same as Martin and has twice the amount of runs on the board, MMG was paid under SOS, This is the first time I’ve heard Eddie was on $500k and if that’s right it is ridiculous.
So no I’m not worried because nothing noticeable has really changed under the new regime imo maybe Betts but I don’t believe that figure and it’s not much more then Fasolo who we would’ve paid ~$800k to and Betts isn’t here for what he does on field.
Give it break. Eddie offers value beyond his on field performance and, anyway, he has a very young family. Then 4 kids and now a 5th on the way. Also, as if the power brokers at Carlton are going to leave Simmo high and dry in retirement. Bit less emoting from a few ”outraged” posters would be most welcome.

Give it break. Eddie offers value beyond his on field performance and, anyway, he has a very young family. Then 4 kids and now a 5th on the way. Also, as if the power brokers at Carlton are going to leave Simmo high and dry in retirement. Bit less emoting from a few ”outraged” posters would be most welcome.
As I said if Eddie isn’t getting paid just for what he does on field. Atm he is a very average footballer so if we were getting Adelaide out of his contract and coughed up $500k to pay him it seems ridiculous overs

Thought Adelaide was paying half of Eddie's wage as part of the trade deal..
Does that mean he was on $1m this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back