Not open for further replies.

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Thought Adelaide was paying half of Eddie's wage as part of the trade deal..
Does that mean he was on $1m this year?
I thought it was almost 100% of his salary last year, but this year we would be paying him. He is effectively a 'coach' to our indigenous players and having him on a playing contract means we dont need to include his salary in the soft cap.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
I thought it was almost 100% of his salary last year, but this year we would be paying him. He is effectively a 'coach' to our indigenous players and having him on a playing contract means we dont need to include his salary in the soft cap.

If it was me, I would communicate with Eddie that we were going to delist him, then pick him back up as a rookie. Pays him for his work off field, opens up a spot for all our targets and still able to play if required

djholmes

All Australian
Oct 9, 2007
Tasmania
AFL Club
Carlton
We need to focus on locking up Williams and Saad, and then developing our first round mids from the past few drafts. Dow and SPS if played in the midfield will have big years next season. This team will make the finals.

First XXII next season:

B: Plowman-----------------Jones--------------Docherty

H: Williams---------------Weitering-------------Saad

C: Cuningham--------------Cripps--------------O'Brien

H: Newnes-----------------C.Curnow-----------Martin

F: Betts---------------------McKay-------------McGovern

Foll: De Koning, Setterfield, Walsh

Bench: Marchbank, Newman, Dow, SPS

We need to focus on locking up Williams and Saad, and then developing our first round mids from the past few drafts. Dow and SPS if played in the midfield will have big years next season. This team will make the finals.

Strange comment given you've previously labelled Dow, SPS and other first round mids as busts.

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
And McKay. Hes OoC come 2021

Yes McKay is almost more important than Cripps, however you could almost understand Harry wanting to back himself in to have a huge 2021 which would increase his value.. With Paddy we know what he is worth right now, so should be easy to put a contract in front of him.

No one is paying Mitch what we pay him.. If we moved him on we would still be paying the bulk of his salary

The optics are horrible especially for us and i don't think we'd do it, but if a club that's just gutted themselves like Kangaroos take on the salary and get him for a third/fourth rounder. There's minimal risk for the other team in that deal, as they'll struggle to hit the salary floor anyway.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Yes McKay is almost more important than Cripps, however you could almost understand Harry wanting to back himself in to have a huge 2021 which would increase his value.. With Paddy we know what he is worth right now, so should be easy to put a contract in front of him.
Absolutely, Harry is going to have clubs like North and Essendon throwing ridiculous contracts at him, probably also Hawthorn. A break out year by him and he could easily get million dollar offers.

The problem is he kicked two more goals from the same amount of games as Sam Weideman this year so we are in a crap position where he would be getting a contract on potential not output, which are always dangerous as we seen with MMG. Probably one of the biggest decisions for the club to make in the near future.

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
So, to land the trifecta of Williams Saad and Oliver.
We have :
2020 1st and 2nd rounders
2021 1st and 2nd rounders
Silvagni Kennedy O’Brien, all expendable in my book.
Pretty certain Williams arrives as FA.
Is there enough in :
2 x 1st rounders
2 x 2nd rounders
Silvagni Kennedy O’Brien
To land Saad and Oliver ?
Over to you Austin ...

Saad Jones Plowman
Docherty Weitering Williamson
Walsh Cripps Williams
Martin McKay SPS
Fisher Curnow McGovern

TDK Oliver Dow

Setterfield Curnow Cuningham Kemp

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
So, to land the trifecta of Williams Saad and Oliver.
We have :
2020 1st and 2nd rounders
2021 1st and 2nd rounders
Silvagni Kennedy O’Brien, all expendable in my book.
Pretty certain Williams arrives as FA.
Is there enough in :
2 x 1st rounders
2 x 2nd rounders
Silvagni Kennedy O’Brien
To land Saad and Oliver ?
Over to you Austin ...

Saad Jones Plowman
Walsh Cripps Williams
Martin McKay SPS
Fisher Curnow McGovern

TDK Oliver Dow

RE: 2021 picks, it's one or the other. We cannot trade our other future picks if we trade our first rounder (unless we bring another future first in), and vice versa.

Big_Luch

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
RE: 2021 picks, it's one or the other. We cannot trade our other future picks if we trade our first rounder (unless we bring another future first in), and vice versa.
We can trade this year's 1st and next year's first without bringing anything in. Plus the afl has an overlay to allow trading of extra picks if you have invested in he draft enough.

You need to use 2 1st picks in 4 years.

But yeah the AFL will do as it pleases in any case

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
Obviously North are going to need players following the list carnage recently.
They hold pick 25 which could be handy for us.
Silvagni and Kennedy, in the right age bracket for them, might be of interest ?
Would we entertain a trade of Silvagni and Kennedy for 25 ?
Would 25,27 and 45 in exchange for 12 be attractive points wise to Footscray in paying for their academy lad this year ?
Obviously just crunching some numbers to see what might be possible.

Fling our future 1st to * for Saad.
7, 12 and O’Brien for Oliver.

In : Williams Saad Oliver

Out : 7,27,45 future 1st
Silvagni Kennedy O’Brien

Don’t see Silvagni Kennedy O’Brien featuring in the team going forward.
The time might be right to cash them in and also clear some cap space.

Saad Jones Plowman
Walsh Cripps Williams
Martin McKay SPS
Fisher Curnow McGovern

TDK Oliver Dow

Marchbank Newman Murphy Philp Stocker Pittonet Betts Macreadie Newnes Ramsay Honey Gibbons Casboult Cottrell ...

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
We can trade this year's 1st and next year's first without bringing anything in. Plus the afl has an overlay to allow trading of extra picks if you have invested in he draft enough.

You need to use 2 1st picks in 4 years.

But yeah the AFL will do as it pleases in any case
The post I was quoting was talking about putting both future picks on the table to make a deal, I was clarifying that it would be an either/or scenario.

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Steelers,Dodgers,Casey Stoner
You need to listen ta what SoS was saying re: Betts & Simmo contracts.
Not about front or future loading. It’s about scaling ala Geelong as an example.
You start paying players within a different pay scale and you lose control!!
This is my greatest concern with this trade period and it’s been confirmed with the SOS interview, with all of SOS, McKay and Trigg gone who is staying the course? let’s hope that Lloyd has some common sense and is able to be a steady hand and that the Pres is keeping the CEO in the marketing department and away from LM, I hope Austin has some backbone to stand up to the wanna be list manager, hopefully between him Brodie, Agresta and Lloyd they can stay the course towards the Geelong model and away from the GWS one, I fear for our sustained success otherwise. 🤬

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back