List Mgmt. 2020 List Management II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm confident that this upcoming pre-season will show up some surprises.....in fact, little doubt at all.
We're going to have at least a couple of our somewhat unsighted young guys really show up and demand a starting spot.

Sitting in the background right now, are; Dow, Stocker, Kemp, Philp, O'Brien, Cottrell and Honey.
There are three or four there I can make a good claim for, but we'll see.

Main thing now is ensure they all come back fit and committed to a strong pre-season. No play for you Russell.

RE. Viney. I've warmed to him. Smart player although not the best ball user.
He's a type we need to support other mids. Really a very unselfish player.

Agree Harks but these blokes need to play which will be all the more difficult should Teague continue to favour the likes of Murphy Betts Newnes.
If the list cuts are implemented and we wish to add some quality players, we really need to see a few more “retirements” ...

They couldn't afford to not take 2 top 10 picks for Daniher, and yet there they are

A lot has changed for them this year. They are no longer clinging to hopes of success while Hurley, Hooker, Heppell are there. Most of us have known for many years that they wouldn’t contend. This year is the reality check they needed. It’s not too dissimilar to what we went through (a couple of times).

Agree Harks but these blokes need to play which will be all the more difficult should Teague continue to favour the likes of Murphy Betts Newnes.
If the list cuts are implemented and we wish to add some quality players, we really need to see a few more “retirements” ...

That will change and has to change. There's no other way.
Teague can't go on relying on and demanding to play non-performers and mature players for the sake of it.....unless he doesn't value his job.

My point was that we now have several quality youngsters that with good management will see an opening for themselves, should they put in a good pre-season.
It's usually the first year players you look forward to in the pre-season but to me, it's Stocker, Dow, Kemp, Honey etc.
It's almost as though they are first year players. It's all new now...:)

The problem is the whole club is run by coteries and it takes a huge organisational shift to change. We didn’t change our attitude straight after the John Elliott regime, it took the 2007-2015 failed rebuild for us to wake up. Essendon didn’t change after the drug scandal. It’s embedded in their DNA and in my opinion only years at the basement of the ladder may help them realise.

Coteries running the show with Dodoro as the front man for recruiting is like a spoilt kid playing AFL live. No deal gets done unless it heavily favours Essendon and the objective is to screw over the other team winning trade week in the process.

Will be interesting to see how they handle Daniher because they have backed themselves into a corner on that one. Saad will probably have to go through the PSD to get away because no one will meet their ridiculous demands. They will demand Wines for Fantasia. It’s the Essendon way.

I understand what you’re saying, but I see it differently. They have been exposed this year, big time - on and off the field. It’s very different to the Bombers of last year or the many years before that. They’ve been forced to eat a big slice of humble pie. If they were offered 2 picks for Joe and he was keen to leave, they’d do the trade in a heartbeat in 2020, imo.

They would have to be arrogant (and moronic) beyond belief to stick with a hard line approach to trades if players want to leave. I just can’t see them being that stupid. But we’ll see. My view depends on players actually wanting to leave as well. It sounds like that is going to happen, but we don’t know for certain yet.

If they don’t change, I would be astonished - especially given what they’ve witnessed us go through... but, people with power and money do often tend to be arrogant w***ers, so we’ll see how it plays out.

That will change and has to change. There's no other way.
Teague can't go on relying on and demanding to play non-performers and mature players for the sake of it.....unless he doesn't value his job.

My point was that we now have several quality youngsters that with good management will see an opening for themselves, should they put in a good pre-season.
It's usually the first year players you look forward to in the pre-season but to me, it's Stocker, Dow, Kemp, Honey etc.
It's almost as though they are first year players. It's all new now...:)

Murphy needs 15 games to reach a personal milestone.
Teague is reportedly demanding Betts continue.
If they are on the list next season, do you see Teague playing them in the reserves ?

Murphy needs 15 games to reach a personal milestone.
Teague is reportedly demanding Betts continue.
If they are on the list next season, do you see Teague playing them in the reserves ?

In fairness to Betts, he did say he'd retire if we got ourselves a small forward.
List spots are important but I just don't seem to have an issue with Betts being involved around the club.

Murphy may well present as the better player, but to me he's now the last of the old mentality at the club. Sooner see him go.

Murphy has been extended, same as Levi maybe not formally but they have both reached triggers in their contracts that give them an extension... forget where I heard/read this.

IMO Murph needs to replace Walsh on the wing, and Walsh start in the guts. MM is a liability at a stoppage because he can not tackle and is ideally suited to that outside running game, he occasionally stuffs it up but he is one of the few players who can hit a target inside 50.
Murphy, Walsh and Newnes have been the first-choice wing rotation all season.

Big preseason for Luke Power. We need at least 4 of Kemp, Philip, Stocker, Dow, Honey, O'Brien, SPS, Fisher, Cuningham to develop into high quality footballers. We've invested a lot in these guys, and with the exception of Kemp and Philip, the others have not translated talent into consistent performers.

In fairness to Betts, he did say he'd retire if we got ourselves a small forward.
List spots are important but I just don't seem to have an issue with Betts being involved around the club.

Murphy may well present as the better player, but to me he's now the last of the old mentality at the club. Sooner see him go.

Couldn’t agree more.
It’s the statement the club really need to make now ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keep Betts on as a runner.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I couldn’t care less if Eddie or Murphy are on the list, all I want is for some of our kids to actually be able to perform better then them next year and take their spot. i also doubt any player we do delist will come back to bite us on the bum. Plenty of dead wood to cut without it really mattering if those two are taking a list spot. Probably also really helps out with our offseason next year knowing those two spots will be vacant because hopefully besides those two finding another few others to move on will be difficult.

Eddie has not been officially offered a 1 yr contract (Source - Teague's presser)

"No it's not (official) we've still got to finalise our list and when those decisions are made, we'll definitely let our Members know"

Fast forward to 4.22min ...

Really hope Papley isn't obtainable and or we don't pay overs

Not sure how he improves our DE or goal kicking accuracy

You see some odd things every now and then....and then we get this :)
If we haven't noticed that we need a couple of winners yet, we may not be looking hard enough.

The fluffy players aren't required at this club....we need drivers. Cake first....

You see some odd things every now and then....and then we get this :)
If we haven't noticed that we need a couple of winners yet, we may not be looking hard enough.

The fluffy players aren't required at this club....we need drivers. Cake first....

Coleman Papley is now ranked way outside the top 10 for average goals per game, has close to the worst conversion of the top 20 goal kickers

Driver?

If he is obtainable he will be a lot cheaper than what people were touting 8 weeks ago

Plowman is a quality lockdown defender. He was third in our B&F last year and played even better this year - he continues to take on the toughest roles and pick up scalps. He isn’t going anywhere and we should be thankful for that.

Instead of saying he’s no good, the small minority of you can just put a sign on your forehead saying you have no clue about footy so the rest of us know to ignore you.

Lockdown defenders that take the opposition’s most dangerous small/medium forward are always underrated because the nature of their role means they’re going to concede the occasional goal, and conceding a goal rarely looks good.

Of course, Plowman hasn’t always been this good and there’s been plenty of warranted criticism. But he is a different beast to previous years, and people hanging onto their gripes from years ago clearly aren’t watching games. As players improve, you need to be willing to re-assess your opinions.

All good sides need a versatile disciplined defender like him. He is actually quite a solid rebounder when given the opportunity too, which you can’t underestimate.

There are going to be times when our structures break down, his opponent gets an easy goal and he unfairly looks bad. There are going to be times where his super talented opponents simply do get the better of him and he’s beaten - not everyone can win 100% of contests like Weitering. But that’s just part of the caper. Don’t worry about Plowman - he’s the least of our concerns.

Agree he has had some big jobs and done them well. Very disciplined and sticks to his task. Teague has not done him any favours. Teague is very much a reactionary coach. When Plow does get beaten and is down on confidence you don't see Teague make any positional changes to stem the bleeding. Teague likes to back his players but sometimes as coach you need to cut your losses.

I find Plow frustrating. Does some nice things stopping his opponent only to undo his good work. He is a poor decision maker with ball in hand. I hold my breath when he kicks the ball out of defence. At best it is to a fifty fifty contest. Rarely kicks to the advantage of his team mate and kicks it often to packs where we are outnumbered.

He really needs to pick up this aspect of his game. He isnt the only defender I might add. I feel like we concede more goals from turnovers out of defence than any other team. Not sure if stats are available on this. I believe these costly turnovers precipitated many of 5 unanswered goals against us.

Will wait for confirmation re list sizes before analysing the cuts.
That said, had hoped for more retirements at this stage, maybe still a chance to come but unlikely.

It appears Williams and Saad are firmly in our sights and both would obviously be welcome additions.

Still believe we need a genuine quality midfielder though.
Options :
Like Kelly’s class.
Like Wines’ grunt.
Like Viney’s toughness.
Like Merrett full stop.
Merrett would be the pick if possible.
Viney obviously the easiest to obtain.

Small forward is again, obviously a position of need.
Options :
Spargo
Lonie
Hill
Rosas
There might also be possibilities at Richmond and Geelong.
We’re going too need another ruckman of some kind also, we can’t be relying on a 21yr kid of 9 games, a solid 24yr backup of 20 games or a 30yr pinch hit relief ruckman if any of our main 2 go down with injury particularly for a large number of weeks we are going to struggle...

I'm confident that this upcoming pre-season will show up some surprises.....in fact, little doubt at all.
We're going to have at least a couple of our somewhat unsighted young guys really show up and demand a starting spot.

Sitting in the background right now, are; Dow, Stocker, Kemp, Philp, O'Brien, Cottrell and Honey.
There are three or four there I can make a good claim for, but we'll see.

Main thing now is ensure they all come back fit and committed to a strong pre-season. No play for you Russell.

RE. Viney. I've warmed to him. Smart player although not the best ball user.
He's a type we need to support other mids. Really a very unselfish player.
Viney.......could we get him?........cripps type,unbelievable Workrate and physical...he has run circles around the cfc midfield in the past...was he ever AA?

The CFC will see a further injection of intensity in training ..Russell has massaged this group into enough condition to now press on to further stages of skill/endurance management
Fish...excellent just needs still more bulk for his mid rotations of the future
Martin...same deal

Samo is also going OK..love his work as the "Distribution " he either needs to work on his tank and interval running (as Simmo did)or bulk up and do more mid rotations...he hasn't shown a lot of meters gained as Simmo would do with long runs off the rebounders...he needs to follow that path.his tackle is elite.. efficiency....i am sure we will see more from him and I would say it will be HBF 👍

Last edited:
So when are we likely to hear officially how many are on the list next year?

Would have been kinda nice to know that before we need to make calls on Murphy, Betts and some of our younger players.

I hadn’t thought about Williams and the lure of playing with Betts. Seemed to get Jack across the line.
Yes. It surprises me how few people remember this very important point.

I also think we over used him this year to everyones detriment - he should be rotating in/out of the side a few times during the season. If he does stay for another year I hope they don’t make the same mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back