List Mgmt. 2020 List Management II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good points, but with our "kids" maturing, he has to step up now. After 5 years hard to see roles tailored to get him in to the game when we have Dow, Stocker, O'Brien, maybe Kemp, Philp, Honey and Ramsay, not to mention now Fogarty all clamouring for similar roles while Walsh, Newnes, Murphy, Fisher and Gibbons are all capable in that area.
Couldn't agree more. His time is now. Hopefully perceived extra competition and pressure for spots will get him fully revved up. Would be fascinating to be a club psychologist I reckon.

Talent isn't lacking at Carlton. We have guys who are fringe and in the reserves who have exceptional levels of talent. What is lacking is toughness (physicality), elite competitiveness and physical and mental maturity and for some fitness is a part of it.

There are a lot of young early draft picks who to date are gifted athletes and talented footballers but not overly good footballers for the reasons mentioned above. We also have a few players who lack a bit of talent but have these mentioned properties and that's what makes them good/reasonable players.

The trick for us is to put it together. Get the tough competitors skills up to scratch. Get the talented players to compete and put their bodies on the line and up their work rate. This is where leadership and culture and good coaching come into things. I think our leadership and coaching need to be quite confronting and our training this preseason needs to be very physical and tough to drill this into our players as a whole. No holding back.

Talent isn't lacking at Carlton. We have guys who are fringe and in the reserves who have exceptional levels of talent. What is lacking is toughness (physicality), elite competitiveness and physical and mental maturity and for some fitness is a part of it.

There are a lot of young early draft picks who to date are gifted athletes and talented footballers but not overly good footballers for the reasons mentioned above. We also have a few players who lack a bit of talent but have these mentioned properties and that's what makes them good/reasonable players.

The trick for us is to put it together. Get the tough competitors skills up to scratch. Get the talented players to compete and put their bodies on the line and up their work rate. This is where leadership and culture and good coaching come into things. I think our leadership and coaching need to be quite confronting and our training this preseason needs to be very physical and tough to drill this into our players as a whole. No holding back.

So true Caped Crusader, so true.

Fair enough, although we haven't tried him there to really know. The game against Essendon was evidence that he could be a handy addition to the midfield as an inside/outside mid.
Lot of talk about his game against Bombers. I just rewatched first half - where he got 19 of his 28 possessions.

In each quarter he only had 5 minute bursts through the middle. It just so happened that he had a productive period in this time, and was effective as a HF pushing up the ground.

I didn't bother with the second half, but 7 of his 9 possessions were in/around forward 50, suggesting he wasn't effective for any period as a mid.

It's not as though he hasn't had runs through the middle in other games, he just so happened to be effective in this game for a half. He's been given the opportunity but he's just not consistent. That game is probably overstated as an example that he should play majority mid, given he didn't.

I think that's he's go - HF, pushing up with bursts through the middle. He can easily find space and we should be using him as a link player more.

It’s all true to form at the Blues!
The club is happy to trial Moore, McDonald and Marsh who aren’t up to it but can’t develop our youth.
Lots of examples I can think of people not developing.

This is one of the issues I have with turning mids into small forwards. If they aren't strong overhead they don't find ways to get the ball. Just about all quality small forwards over the years have been strong in the air.
It’s always been his biggest most glaring weakness, he should have been working with Simmo on improving his marking but I’ve seen no obvious improvement and it is in fact a liability at times as he is so easily out marked. Kicked 4 goals in his first game this year but only another 2 for the rest of his games which is a concern if he is being touted as our full time small forward.

Agree wholeheartedly. And it brings back a harsh reality. This is end of rebuild stuff not start of rebuild. You just cant do it with an overabundance of 18 and 19 yr olds with little physique. Not in this tough sport. Now they are ready to be properly seasoned.

Lot of talk about his game against Bombers. I just rewatched first half - where he got 19 of his 28 possessions.

In each quarter he only had 5 minute bursts through the middle. It just so happened that he had a productive period in this time, and was effective as a HF pushing up the ground.

I didn't bother with the second half, but 7 of his 9 possessions were in/around forward 50, suggesting he wasn't effective for any period as a mid.

It's not as though he hasn't had runs through the middle in other games, he just so happened to be effective in this game for a half. He's been given the opportunity but he's just not consistent. That game is probably overstated as an example that he should play majority mid, given he didn't.

I think that's he's go - HF, pushing up with bursts through the middle. He can easily find space and we should be using him as a link player more.
Yep. Got to find a way to get him into the play more and consistently getting 20+ possessions a game with some goals thrown in for good measure.

Perhaps the previous coach should have been less concerned about having the players over for bbqs and more concerned about getting some mongrel into them on the field.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Perhaps the previous coach should have been less concerned about having the players over for bbqs and more concerned about getting some mongrel into them on the field.

Curious to know how a coach actually does this with young men 18+ and most likely 21+ with the players that you are speaking about.
what would you recommend for the coach to do to get more mongrel into these players.

It’s always been his biggest most glaring weakness, he should have been working with Simmo on improving his marking but I’ve seen no obvious improvement and it is in fact a liability at times as he is so easily out marked. Kicked 4 goals in his first game this year but only another 2 for the rest of his games which is a concern if he is being touted as our full time small forward.
I see him as a goal kicking mid, I hope he isn't locked into a permanent forward role. I think his 4 goal game was like Beaumont's 8 in a half, just one of those days when all goes well. I do like Zac though, good hustle and kicking.

Curious to know how a coach actually does this with young men 18+ and most likely 21+ with the players that you are speaking about.
what would you recommend for the coach to do to get more mongrel into these players.

I can’t answer that question....I’m not the coach but all I know is that the CFC does not play with the required intensity, tenacity and consistency.....we should look at how the Tigers and the Cats do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was there any pivitol change in Cotchin's development? Became every bit as good a leader as Hodge, despite the lack of credit I've seen.

I can’t answer that question....I’m not the coach but all I know is that the CFC does not play with the required intensity, tenacity and consistency.....we should look at how the Tigers and the Cats do it.

Its not in the coaching or teaching but more the type of players that are at the club and i can only look at comparing my team
Trent Cotchin leads with that intensity and 'mongrel' as you call it , Some people criticize him for his hard at the ball and the player but if they could thats what they would have their players doing. Josh Caddy , Nankervis ,Grimes , Vlastuin and even players like McIntosh have it.
Which then makes the others follow.

Think you need to have the natural aggressive types than being able to train that into them

In my experience, it takes at least 4 factors to be a champion in any sport.

1) The athletic ability to compete with the other in your chosen sport.
2) A detailed understanding of the patterns and trends of your chosen sport (reading the play)
3) The firm belief that you're are as good as anyone else in the sport and better than most.
4) A hatred of being beaten so profound that you are willing to do whatever it takes to win. (in terms of self-sacrifice within your life, and a willingness to put yourself in harm's way for the team). (Drive)

IMHO cunners only has point 1 covered, he can't get the ball consistently because he can't read the play, and he doesn't have the drive, because in 4 years he's been unable to change point 2.

Never considered S. Milne to be strong overhead. Wouldn't be upset if fish ended up at that level.

Bring to the players attention instances during games where they shirked the contest, didn't kill the contest in the air, didn't 2 way run, missed kicks hand balls....then train it hard and repetitive

This guy has got so much natural talent and posseses AFL quality physical attributes of speed and core strength. Something though is holding him back and he and the development coaches need to solve the issue so he realises his potential. He is the type of midfielder our midfield is crying out for. I think a permanent move to the wing would be perfect for him. The question for him though is does he want to be the best he can be.
Has to be put back onto him too though. Wing might work but, he is behind Walsh, Newnes, maybe Willo, maybe Williams. He has to put his hand up, get on the outside of contests and hurt with his run. Like LOB, might be on his last couple of legs. Has to dominate the 2s and smash the door down to make it happen.

It's not about flying into packs, it's about having strong enough hands on a fast lead to hold onto them and ability to win one on one's in an aerial contest. Getting front and centre only gets you a few opportunities a game.
Not in our game style, there are plenty of ground ball opportunities at the bottom of packs.

It’s all true to form at the Blues!
The club is happy to trial Moore, McDonald and Marsh who aren’t up to it but can’t develop our youth.
Who said they can’t aid development, especially as big bodies in the reserves? Moore proved it in scrimmages this year and the other two have played plenty of AFL football. Poor assumption.

Good call. Not sure if lead up roles fix that, more about learning where to get to and how to use it quickly when he gets opportunities. Must be one of the hardest positions: every missed opportunity is a missed goal in a scoring starved competition. And you never get a long time to assess.

Does anyone have any evidence on deficiency in marking prowess?

Bring to the players attention instances during games where they shirked the contest, didn't kill the contest in the air, didn't 2 way run, missed kicks hand balls....then train it hard and repetitive
Happy to do this now and again. Excessive use is old school confidence killer 101.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back