List Mgmt. 2021 List Management

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades
I want 3 spine players in the next 12 months.

Swing KPP 22-25 year old, Brander, McStay type

A KPD, best draftee

Ruck/Forward, best draftee

Make it happen List Management
I agree, we need a key position forward, defender and a ruck.

I think OMac will be fine as a KPD if we pick him up in the pre-season SSP. However, I'd also like another key defender somewhat early in this year's draft as a future replacement for Jones and backup for Weiters.

In terms of forwards, I think it's too early to make a call on what exactly to do. Will Charlie return? Will Gov have a comeback year? How will JSOS develop? These are all questions which we need to come back to at the end of this year. Either way we need a future replacement for Levi, so we'll need to draft one anyway. It's how high up in the draft which will depend on the 3 questions from above.

Finally a ruck, which I'm more than happy to be the KPF just mentioned. However, they must be good enough to ruck a full game if heaven forbid both TDK and Pittonet are injured at the same time.

List management, make it happen.

The Bighouse

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
The drafting in 2019 surprised me with another midfielder being chosen (Ramsay) but I cannot find a position for him as a starter in the midfield in either team.

Riccardi was chosen a few picks later, who would have covered off more of a need for a tall forward backup.

Ideally a a KPD would have some miles in the legs ala SDK (or a Worrell) however I wonder if any draftees overlooked may stand up in the lower leagues that could provide a sound selection mid-year but more with development to be catered for rather than go the Moore/OMAC reboot?
Parks should provide for a decent pickup with his marking, though a true KPD size is a concern.

Ruck/forward - not sure to go the youth or mature route here. You’d be hopeful both TDK & Pittonet (lacking forward nous) have the roles in front of them at 21yo & 25yo respectively.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Let's wait to see how the season plays out first before locking in "needs". All are required "soon" but priority is still to be seen.
If Charlie and Kemp can finish the season strongly, not to mention Marchbank, it will make a huge difference.
Despite rumours to the contrary, the Jones boy is not yet 30 (will be at start of season). It is fair to think he has this season and two more as a minimum.
We do need a viable KPD back up. Levi is great value, but may be indispensable forward or rucking. McDonald training with us, seems a no brainer to add.

The forward mix is clearly a young developing player short. The pragmatist in me would love to add a forward/ruck in the mould of Coleman-Jones or
even better Williams from West Coast who is a genuine swingman/ruck. It is hard to see their respective clubs letting them go though. A glance at the available semi mature young ruck types suggests slim pickings, Hayes for instance has an extended contract at Port despite the likelihood of being third banana for the
foreseeable future. I was surprised we didn't draft a young ruck to develop and we seem destined to run the gauntlet with injuries this season.

We are certainly ready to draft a KPD, to replace Jones down the track. While McKay, McAsey and DeKoning are attractive young prospects, it is hard to see them coming over to bide their time as fringe types behind Weiters and LJ. Surely McDonald is the go until a decent draftee presents. I do like Brander and McStay, but they would not be guaranteed best 22 spots either.

We have an unique list balance. While back up is thin, if the injury gods are kind, there is a no vacancy sign on our talls for about three years. So saying that, I would add McDonald as a capable back up for the next few years and hitting the draft for youngsters as ruck, KPF and KPD as players become available. The problem arises if Levi starts to decline quickly and/or McGovern continues to underwhelm. It is fair to say that our midfield and the flanks are exceptionally well catered for on the list with a myriad of young players at various stages of development. Martin, Williams and Saad have given us brilliant experienced talent to offset the inexperience of the kids. Edit, probably should add Newnes to that list.

Not wanting to push anyone out the door, but our proliferation of developing midfielders may offer a trade option with Geelong for SDK if he can't get past Blicavs, Henderson and co. for a spot at Geelong this season. He is capable at either end, leaning to KPD and can pinch hit in the ruck. He would be my pick of trade targets, mobile like his brother and more versatile, giving him more prospects of getting a game early. Would love Ben McKay who is out of contract at season's end, but hard to see him competing for a team spot, while a walk up start for 22 games at North if remains fit.

I guess there are a number of factors that point to recruiting these types now, imo

Both Jones and Levi will be 30+ this year and given the nature of their game, both crash packs, injury and or decreased output will be a factor from here on.

Marchbank - Most continue to suggest he could play as a KPD, he just isn't that type and never will be. He is a great 3rd tall, if we can get him on the park.

If Kemp has grown to 195, then that, along with his style, will allow him to play KPP, but this kid can also play as a mid, another freak

I agree a Williams, ruck/forward type is the perfect player to work in tandem with TDK, as Pitto, while enthusiastic, is only an option to cover injuries

Charlie can play as a roaming forward, that is the point of difference, we can utilise, rather than just a pure KPF. With that in mind, the likes of McStay can play forward, like a Taberner hit up forward, while also being able to play KPD.

Brander is similar, as well as being able to play as a tall wingman, the kid is a freak athlete, as well as being a very good footballer

McDonald is purely a short term cover/break glass, nothing more.

That's why this year's off season should focus on the spine. We have an abundance of mids, who can also rotate forward or back. We have ample 3rd talls

We have the thinnest spine in the league, it is a real concern

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Let's wait to see how the season plays out first before locking in "needs". All are required "soon" but priority is still to be seen.
If Charlie and Kemp can finish the season strongly, not to mention Marchbank, it will make a huge difference.
Despite rumours to the contrary, the Jones boy is not yet 30 (will be at start of season). It is fair to think he has this season and two more as a minimum.
We do need a viable KPD back up. Levi is great value, but may be indispensable forward or rucking. McDonald training with us, seems a no brainer to add.

The forward mix is clearly a young developing player short. The pragmatist in me would love to add a forward/ruck in the mould of Coleman-Jones or
even better Williams from West Coast who is a genuine swingman/ruck. It is hard to see their respective clubs letting them go though. A glance at the available semi mature young ruck types suggests slim pickings, Hayes for instance has an extended contract at Port despite the likelihood of being third banana for the
foreseeable future. I was surprised we didn't draft a young ruck to develop and we seem destined to run the gauntlet with injuries this season.

We are certainly ready to draft a KPD, to replace Jones down the track. While McKay, McAsey and DeKoning are attractive young prospects, it is hard to see them coming over to bide their time as fringe types behind Weiters and LJ. Surely McDonald is the go until a decent draftee presents. I do like Brander and McStay, but they would not be guaranteed best 22 spots either.

We have an unique list balance. While back up is thin, if the injury gods are kind, there is a no vacancy sign on our talls for about three years. So saying that, I would add McDonald as a capable back up for the next few years and hitting the draft for youngsters as ruck, KPF and KPD as players become available. The problem arises if Levi starts to decline quickly and/or McGovern continues to underwhelm. It is fair to say that our midfield and the flanks are exceptionally well catered for on the list with a myriad of young players at various stages of development. Martin, Williams and Saad have given us brilliant experienced talent to offset the inexperience of the kids. Edit, probably should add Newnes to that list.

Not wanting to push anyone out the door, but our proliferation of developing midfielders may offer a trade option with Geelong for SDK if he can't get past Blicavs, Henderson and co. for a spot at Geelong this season. He is capable at either end, leaning to KPD and can pinch hit in the ruck. He would be my pick of trade targets, mobile like his brother and more versatile, giving him more prospects of getting a game early. Would love Ben McKay who is out of contract at season's end, but hard to see him competing for a team spot, while a walk up start for 22 games at North if remains fit.

We may not have drafted a young ruck, but we did sign two on our reserves list.

Doesn't help the seniors this year, but it does give us a full season to assess and develop a couple of possible recruits for next year.

I know it has happened, kangas - my comment referred to someone thinking we should have first.............
Majak didnt have the ability to read the play when playing forward and with our amount of backmen we now have , the best thing for us was to let Majak go. If the Dees play Majak forward it will at their own peril.

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
What have I missed now ? Is Marchbank hurt again ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not hurt again, just never not hurt.

Once again the club fails to provide any information on his or Charlie's injuries. They keep pushing Marchy's return date further and further back. It's hard to know this year when he will come back to playing footy, if even at all this season.

Not hurt again, just never not hurt.

Once again the club fails to provide any information on his or Charlie's injuries. They keep pushing Marchy's return date further and further back. It's hard to know this year when he will come back to playing footy, if even at all this season.
wada ya want? a daily private email? "charlie is the same as yesterday and callem is still 1-2 weeks away" get a grip, ffs.........

wada ya want? a daily private email? "charlie is the same as yesterday and callem is still 1-2 weeks away" get a grip, ffs.........

That's not the email you send me on a daily basis. Again, please stop.

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
As members who pay a lofty amount, I would appreciate if the club provided a bit more information into the injuries of players.

Marchbank in December - "He's been back at the Club and his attitude has been fantastic. He just needs to do a good block of work and he's been doing that."
Marchbank in January - "Marchy’s had a good block of work, but we feel like he needs more work given what he’s missed over the last few years, he’s had a good block of work but he just needs more time."

It's now February, he didn't participate in last week's match sim, and he doesn't look like he's near full training yet. The line "he needs a good block of work" has been used too many times. It would be nice if the club could let us know what exactly is the problem and why there always seems to be some sort of holdup with his AFL return.

I hear this whinge every year. There are plenty of updates on injured players, official and otherwise. But not as many as there are entitled "paid up members" demanding information.........spare me..........

Marchbank is due to include full contact training sometime in February acccording to Russell - so he should be ready to go form allowing by game 3-4.
TDK sounds like will take a couple of months from here - so best case maybe available by game 3-4 as well.
No one knows how long Kemp's syndemosis surgery and recovery will take - scratch him till after bye is an easy call
No one knows how long Charlie still has to go - scratch him till after the bye at least is an easy call...

We play 5 of last years finalists in first 8 games : Richmond | Collingwood | Fremantle | GC | Port | Brisbane | Essendon | Dogs

I think we will miss TDK the most for as long as he is out - elevates our midfield because of his superior jumping and mobility

The Bighouse

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Time to shine below or timeline for injury returns..
25th Feb vs Ess
4th Mar vs STK
1). 18th Mar vs Rich
2). 25th Mar vs Coll
3). 4th Apr vs FRE
4). 10th Apr vs GCFC
5). 17th Apr vs PTA
**VFL 1st game 17th Apr TBC end of Feb
^VFL Practice matches to commence in March (who knows what COVID restrictions may be enforced between AFL & VFL players).

Koutamightafides

All Australian
Feb 21, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Since when do Melbourne prefer him over OMac? They cut OMac and are only looking at Majak because two of their likely starting KPFs are injured.

Majak and OMac also play opposite ends of the ground...they're really not that comparable.
Considering Daw played as many games as a defender as a forward it is comparable enough .

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Considering Daw played as many games as a defender as a forward it is comparable enough .

But nobody has picked him up to play back...have they.

"I see Melbourne have invited Majak Daw to train with them I wish we had have first".

He's getting an incredibly late reprieve (hasn't even had a commitment from Melbourne, FFS, just an invite to train) because Melbourne have lost Brown and Weideman. He's a bandaid, and he comes with some serious baggage.

Easier to fashion a smaller forward line than it is to combat a tall forward line with undersized players.

If we lose Pittonet and Levi has to ruck full time, then we can play Harry, Gov and JSOS or Kennedy as the third tall. Or we play two talls and modify our entries to suit a smaller forward line.

Lose Weitering without backup and we're coming up against sides with multiple KPFs who we can't defend against.

OMac over Daw for mine, not even a contest.

BlueJet

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
North Ballarat
IMO Daw has shown less over a longer period of time than Oscar and has only been introduced to the mix at Melbourne due to some key injuries.
How highly they're rated is ultimately up to the individual but McDonald can play in the backline and can perform a capable role backing up Jones, while Majak after almost a decade carries question marks over how & where he's best utilised. Is he a ruck? a forward? a defender?
It's one thing for a younger player to carry these question marks but when it's a 29yo, it probably highlights that they're not up to the standard.

Back