List Mgmt. 2021 List Management

BuxbaumBixby

Team Captain
Apr 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
I think it comes down a lot to a sides game plan.
Someone like Richmond have a very limited player like mcIntosh being a very important player simply because his role requires being a great athlete and not a lot of skill needed. I think the types we play there will be entirely dependent on our game style. We might need skilful players there if we require our wings to hit up forwards which Richmond don’t. Setterfield looked good there yesterday but who knows he might be lined against Hill next week and be forced wider and get burnt up and down the ground. Other weeks he might play a more contested/congested game which will suit him to a tee.

McIntosh is an interesting example - absolutely has limits - but he's also so often 'right place, right time' both in defence and attack. If his kicking were top class I'd suggest he'd be seriously elevated as a player in most people's minds.

I actually agree with your original post and I think we're a genuine wing short - surprised we didn't consider Smith for a couple of years while we developed guys like LOB and Willo.

On Setterfield - did he really look good on the wing? What advantage did he give us over the Dons when he was on the wing? I just don't see him as a long term wing option. I think he's a quality player but doesn't give us any edge on a wing.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
McIntosh is an interesting example - absolutely has limits - but he's also so often 'right place, right time' both in defence and attack. If his kicking were top class I'd suggest he'd be seriously elevated as a player in most people's minds.

I actually agree with your original post and I think we're a genuine wing short - surprised we didn't consider Smith for a couple of years while we developed guys like LOB and Willo.

On Setterfield - did he really look good on the wing? What advantage did he give us over the Dons when he was on the wing? I just don't see him as a long term wing option. I think he's a quality player but doesn't give us any edge on a wing.
He played a good game but not as a “true” wingman imo but I’m really not sure how we intend on playing our wings this year. I think he would struggle big time if he had to play the role Newnes, and Walsh had to last year.

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Super pessimistic view, J. Fish and Betts will be fine in the games they play.
Murph has hit the scoreboard plenty and chooses quality options. Does sneaky things like hit a tackle at just the tight time. Clever around goal.
Martin and Williams will spend time forward.
Fog and Durdin will have moments.
And that’s enough for now...
Not saying we wont be a good team, but that original list doesnt scream "small forward hole has been fixed".

Betts/Murphy are guns, yes ... but are not long term fixes.

Fisher was the only other gun listed. The rest have potential.

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
The wing is a bit of a hole for us and I am still somewhat for Walsh playing there if our onball stocks are fine. If any of Dow or Stocker come on then I say we move Walsh back onto the wing, IMO he is too good there not to consider as a key wingman. Lets just see what happens and who steps up. It would be great for Stocker and Dow to come in as really good options in the center there and that fills all the midfield holes IMO.

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I haven’t watched the praccy match yet, but assume he went alright?
Had a really good WAFL season and looked like a good selection for the train on period.
The hype is over the top.

Got 2 goals from a soft frees (one should have been holding the ball against him).

The first goal was from a good lead in front of Jones that was then made easy by a ridiculous 50 (these will be the norm this year) which took him to the goal square instead of kicking from outside 50. The other was from an uncontested mark inside 50 when we had lost our defensive shape.

TheKITC

Cancelled
Mar 7, 2009
The Cupboard
AFL Club
Carlton
On the wing discussion, this is where I think Newnes was pretty underrated by a lot on this board.

Whilst I'm not suggesting he is a world beater, I thought he was a really good contributor and has some versatility as a utility of sorts for us. He's a mature, hardened body that knows what AFL is about, by reports an excellent leader and he fills a role or two for us to a decent standard. I think he is a bit two-fold also in that he contributes to wins but also either forces the O'Brien, Stocker, Dow etc. young/fringe types to displace him or prove they aren't up to it.

Thought he was an astute pick up and has plenty to offer the CFC.

Robert Heatley

Team Captain
Jan 26, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Train on players - where we are at

1. Oscar McDonald - Melbourne have invited Majak Daw and now Kye DeClase to try out for a spot Oscar may have taken. They have watched him for a number of years and have formed a view. Why are we entertaining this?

2. Callum Moore - sorry I can’t see it. If we’re recruiting based on height let’s get Dylan McLaren and Lindsay Smith back.

3. Ben Crocker - Richmond have shown you can’t have too many small blokes who can kick goals. I know it’s a practice match - but he kicked 4! How many of our guys kicked 4 or more in a match last year? It seems like he has had issues that have prevented him reaching his potential to date?

4. Zavier Maher - arguably has the most upside, but do you wait until mid season draft?

The only reason I’m seeing for picking up Moore or McDonald is if a tall goes down. I’d rather pick up Crocker and improvise and if things are dire then we would have scope to draft Moore or McDonald mid year.

I’d rather select to improve our list over an “insurance” policy that I doubt will be very effective.

bing181

Club Legend
Nov 22, 2009
Paris
AFL Club
Melbourne
1. Oscar McDonald - Melbourne have invited Majak Daw and now Kye DeClase to try out for a spot Oscar may have taken. They have watched him for a number of years and have formed a view. Why are we entertaining this?

Daw and DeClase are being considered to cover the recent injury/loss of our two key forwards. (Yes I know, Daw has only had consistent success playing back, but there you go.) McDonald was always a KPD at Melbourne, which we have more than enough of.

Not saying you should take him either.

Robert Heatley

Team Captain
Jan 26, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Daw and DeClase are being considered to cover the recent injury/loss of our two key forwards. (Yes I know, Daw has only had consistent success playing back, but there you go.) McDonald was always a KPD at Melbourne, which we have more than enough of.

Not saying you should take him either.
Were you disappointed to see him delisted Bing?

HaydossJ

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton

2. Callum Moore - sorry I can’t see it. If we’re recruiting based on height let’s get Dylan McLaren and Lindsay Smith back.

3. Ben Crocker - Richmond have shown you can’t have too many small blokes who can kick goals. I know it’s a practice match - but he kicked 4! How many of our guys kicked 4 or more in a match last year? It seems like he has had issues that have prevented him reaching his potential to date?

4. Zavier Maher - arguably has the most upside, but do you wait until mid season draft?

The only reason I’m seeing for picking up Moore or McDonald is if a tall goes down. I’d rather pick up Crocker and improvise and if things are dire then we would have scope to draft Moore or McDonald mid year.

I’d rather select to improve our list over an “insurance” policy that I doubt will be very effective.
Crocker is only 185cm, but plays like a key forward. He's not agile or fast, nor is he great below his feet. He was delisted by Collingwood (who have a non-existent forward line) for a reason.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur

As I've been saying for sometime now, McDonald is worthless as a key position player and is arguably too slow as a medium player. Daw presents as a better backup player, and I would have been interested in him, subject to an assessment of his mental state.

DeClase is one who has always had talent, but application hasn't been good enough. At last check, he was a medium player who didn't possess enough mobility or skill to push for the next level.

Moore - despite him being a little heavy footed at times - is incredibly dangerous around stoppages and even when the ball is at the ground in the forward line, and I still believe in his potential if you invest in developing him as a stoppage player, but I don't have any insight as to how coachable he is for that. If I'm signing him, I'm signing him to play as a midfield utility who can maybe swing into defence, but not as a key position or medium defender/forward. He's industrious and athletic without being super skilful by foot.

Crocker is decent, and does represent a minor upgrade in terms of the bottom of the list, but there are questions to be asked of his anaerobic and aerobic endurance.

Maher is an interesting prospect, but that has to be framed around him being a lowish possession count half-forward at TAC level most of the time. Poor man's Cuningham, and needs to be very, very coachable to make it.

Crocker is only 185cm, but plays like a key forward. He's not agile or fast, nor is he great below his feet. He was delisted by Collingwood (who have a non-existent forward line) for a reason.
He was delisted because at the time he was behind De Goey, Hoskin-Elliot, Mihocek, and Stephenson, with kids pushing through. He's solid, but if it's down to the names we've brought in to train, I would be looking at Moore (under the plans mentioned above only) and Maher.

But if Crocker's endurance testing is good, I'm open to looking at him as well.

Personally, would wait until mid-year and use the spot on the best available younger player who was bypassed at the draft when they'll now have exposed form.

bing181

Club Legend
Nov 22, 2009
Paris
AFL Club
Melbourne
Were you disappointed to see him delisted Bing?

Yes and no. Understandable given the players we'd brought on board. Not to mention the move away from stay-at-home gorilla FF's. McDonald is mobile, he can run all day - just not very fast. Equally, I'd take Oscar over Tomlinson (who's currently holding down second/third KPD spot) anyday.

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades
I understand the need for that type of player Arr0w but Oscar was invisible against Es..
In which case we need to look elsewhere.
Isn't the whole point of a key defender to be invisible?

All that aside, I think our talls did poorly defensively. Waterman, Wright and Harrison Jones combined for 8 goals. Not sure which one of them OMac was on.

BigFrizz36

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
McDonald

Then put Charlie, Kemp (or if Betts is retiring) on the LTI list and take the best young tall in the mid season draft
Not a big wrap for Oscar. Suspect plan a should we have a kpd injury is Levi back, plan b is plow, marchy or others to cover. So do we use a list spot for a plan c cover?

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Not a big wrap for Oscar. Suspect plan a should we have a kpd injury is Levi back, plan b is plow, marchy or others to cover. So do we use a list spot for a plan c cover?

Not a huge fan of McDonald either, but this is needs based only, even for a year

With Charlie and Kemp out till at least mid year, TDK's body still trying to settle, Levi having to go back for Weits or Jones injury puts more pressure on McKay to be one out

Plow and Marchy (who cant stay on the park) are only 3rd talls at best

Back