flaps

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2009
Ballarat via Melbourne via Hobart via Albury
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Albury Bandits, Orlando Magic
I think there are two main issues and I have strong opinion on one, less so on the other.

1. Should coaches be able to void other trades
My opinion is very strongly no. We had this debate years ago when we scrapped the veto system. There is no way any of us know how a trade pans out - who I am to say that Stephens and Pick 5 won't be better than Cogs for these teams? What time frame do I use? Who is pick 5 used on? Look back through some of the trades that got veto'd early on and some of them ended up being unfair in the opposite way to what people argued! If one coach wants to take a risk, it's their team. And it might pay off and it might not. But it's their choice to make.

It is also impossible to value players the same for different teams since all our situations are different. Maybe one coach needs a DEF or really needs MARKS and so they value one player higher than other coaches might. Or one team wants to improve the age profile of their team while another just needs draft picks. You can't restrict their ability to trade because you don't think it's fair.

Also - we've all got skin in the game! If I'm fighting for top 2 and another top team makes a play for a good player, of course I think it's unfair.

The only caveat I would have is that the commissioner should have to power to veto if there is suspected collusion but we should never be able to stop a trade because we think it's not fair. If any of us had that much foresight into player value we would be working for clubs and not playing fantasy on a forum. I'm pretty sure I had a trade veto'd years ago which was something like

2. Should new coaches be allowed to trade straight away
This one I have less of an opinion on. I can see the value in letting a new coach settle in, understand their list, understand the league dynamics, scoring etc. Perhaps we could agree to some kind of 'cooling off' period for new coaches just to protect against fire sales or coaches taking advantage of someone new to the league.
Sorry, I'm late to the party on all the commotion. This is really well summed up Daysy_12.

Jordie_tackles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
G-town
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, COBC, GWFC, TFC
A question for coaches who have been around for awhile...

What are our rules regarding future pick trading? I think I know but just want to see what others think or know... Rockford you are exempt
I thought we were meant to have either a first or second in a future draft.

But also kinda thought that went out the window at some point?

Rockford

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 22, 2006
Halls Head
AFL Club
Geelong
We said @#$& let them trade all future picks

I remember we can trade all future picks. Just trying to recall if we can now trade 2021 and 2022 future picks during the season or if we're limited to 2021 futures until after the 2020 season is complete (and then the 2022's go live). Don't want to advise anyone the wrong way.

tenderwarrior

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2003
Launceston
AFL Club
Geelong
I remember we can trade all future picks. Just trying to recall if we can now trade 2021 and 2022 future picks during the season or if we're limited to 2021 futures until after the 2020 season is complete (and then the 2022's go live). Don't want to advise anyone the wrong way.
2021 is not future picks though, they are just picks 😜

Jordie_tackles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
G-town
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, COBC, GWFC, TFC
I am pretty sure it is only 1 draft ahead (future) you can and should be allowed to trade.

I call the draft 2020 as that is the year it is in.

The future draft is 2021 and we can trade all picks in it by the sounds of it.

2022 or the third draft in order is off limits until 2020 is completed ect.

tenderwarrior

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2003
Launceston
AFL Club
Geelong
I am pretty sure it is only 1 draft ahead (future) you can and should be allowed to trade.

I call the draft 2020 as that is the year it is in.

The future draft is 2021 and we can trade all picks in it by the sounds of it.

2022 or the third draft in order is off limits until 2020 is completed ect.
Yes, I believe this is what we currently allow, but I see the 2020 draft as already been finished, as we held it in 2020 (even though the players were drafted to AFL clubs in 2019)

Sep 11, 2011
Anywhere else
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Miami Heat & Dolphins
With games running for a shorter amount of time, it will make the stat averages drop a bit, which may be a bit disappointing at first glance!
I was wondering why last night was so low scoring and it did not click. 😅 Why are they even playing shorter quarters I dont really see why they're doing that, like how does shorter quarters have anything to do with the virus...?

Jordie_tackles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
G-town
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, COBC, GWFC, TFC
Big call on picking up Langdon Jordie_tackles - be interesting to hear how he goes in the scratch match, if they play him.
Got to take some risks as the waiver appears so thin, plus minimal reporting of reserve players. Also appears closer to playing rather than retiring like he was when you dropped him haha

Rockford

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 22, 2006
Halls Head
AFL Club
Geelong
Got to take some risks as the waiver appears so thin, plus minimal reporting of reserve players. Also appears closer to playing rather than retiring like he was when you dropped him haha

Yeah, that’s true. Hopefully for him there’s no setbacks. I did a bit of reading about his knee before I made a call and it didn’t look good.

Jordie_tackles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
G-town
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, COBC, GWFC, TFC
Yeah, that’s true. Hopefully for him there’s no setbacks. I did a bit of reading about his knee before I made a call and it didn’t look good.
Yeah I was reading into it maybe 2 weeks ago and it wasn’t great but better but they were talking him being back in training ect and last night I read he was going to play a scratch match and also pissed and Geary for being injured and taking no marks so made the plunge. Even though he is not injured this week the lack of marks irked me.

Sep 11, 2011
Anywhere else
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Miami Heat & Dolphins
Very keen to get this Cogs deal done and over with. I wont bother waiting for Doggies replacement obviously, :p am no long seeking 2 1sts but a 1st and a 2nd will get it done or equivalent.

WW current trade block -

-S Coniglio

-J Lever

-E Himmelberg

-S Weideman

- W Hayward

- M Poholke

-M Crowden

-J Dawson

-LDU (For sure still the guy i value the most on this list with injuries derailing him as he started to show he belonged last year and early this year and could be a very good player still albeit likelt not in 2020).

-T Sparrow
-
H Schoenberg (Still value him at the position he was drafted which was pick 14 6 months ago with not much to say either way yet, has extremely high upside but the success of Smith and Rowell as clear future midfield stars has left me preferring to add to certain other positions/types of player.)

-My entire bench with the exception of my developing rucks, N Answerth, T Bianco, N Cahill & J Prior

Looking for picks, forwards, & goal scoring mids

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back