Status
Not open for further replies.

tenderwarrior

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2003
Launceston
AFL Club
Geelong
I would think that is the difficult thing, how long do we wait? They are currently delisted from AFL? Is it a situation where you can save a list spot for them but if they don’t get picked up you use the picks at the very end of the draft?
Yep, it is a risk you either take or don't. I agree it is tricky though. Getting to take picks at the end of the draft is better than needing to use one or two of your five Free Agent picks though. Still, it is a gamble. Depending on what picks you have you may be better off delisting pre-draft and taking the picks..

Sep 4, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Newcastle Jets
I would think that is the difficult thing, how long do we wait? They are currently delisted from AFL? Is it a situation where you can save a list spot for them but if they don’t get picked up you use the picks at the very end of the draft?

Realistically we cant wait. But at the same time I or any other coaches shouldn't be punished with a pick at the end of the draft (esp since I'm order 2nd) because we need to allow time for people to use their full 12 hours to take a pick, discuss trades in a new live trading rule. I think the fairest thing is if a player is not on a list, but the intention to keep him has been stated, a coach can use a free FA pick to make the correction and not be punished in the draft by having to use a pick at the end. And with some luck it can be sorted by admin if its all finalised while we are still drafting and edits can be made.

Sep 4, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Newcastle Jets
Yep, it is a risk you either take or don't. I agree it is tricky though. Getting to take picks at the end of the draft is better than needing to use one or two of your five Free Agent picks though. Still, it is a gamble. Depending on what picks you have you may be better off delisting pre-draft and taking the picks..

I dont think it's fair at all to require people to "gamble" and everyone else to gain on pick by say bumping my normal last pick to the last pick.

It would actually be more fair to wait until all real AFL lists are final then start the draft. If it's 3 mins a pick to complete it then so be it. Coaches will need to gamble and hope theyre free at that time.

tenderwarrior

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2003
Launceston
AFL Club
Geelong
I dont think it's fair at all to require people to "gamble" and everyone else to gain on pick by say bumping my normal last pick to the last pick.

It would actually be more fair to wait until all real AFL lists are final then start the draft. If it's 3 mins a pick to complete it then so be it. Coaches will need to gamble and hope theyre free at that time.
There is a chance they won't be picked up till after round one though.. I dont understand what you want to happen..

Sep 4, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Newcastle Jets
There is a chance they won't be picked up till after round one though.. I dont understand what you want to happen..

AFL clubs can utilise the Supplementary Selection Period, which runs from January 6 to March 9

Season starts March 18

Pretty clear what I want to happen. I have a player I would rather keep, who has a good chance on being on an AFL list before the season starts. Should he still be on a list I should be able to keep him without my draft being compromised. If we can make up new rules so you could enter a few drafts without any picks I dont see the big deal here tbh

I do agree there needs to also be a time limit on this, others will end up in these situations too with the AFL making new list lodgement rules. I dont expect to be able to sit on it and make a call after round 1.

tenderwarrior

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2003
Launceston
AFL Club
Geelong
Zim^zuM

"I think the fairest thing is if a player is not on a list, but the intention to keep him has been stated, a coach can use a free FA pick to make the correction and not be punished in the draft by having to use a pick at the end."

That seems fair and reasonable to me. I am not sure how that would work logistically with the UF site etc.

Sep 4, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Newcastle Jets
Zim^zuM

"I think the fairest thing is if a player is not on a list, but the intention to keep him has been stated, a coach can use a free FA pick to make the correction and not be punished in the draft by having to use a pick at the end."

That seems fair and reasonable to me. I am not sure how that would work logistically with the UF site etc.

I'm pretty sure you can reset FA picks.

tenderwarrior

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2003
Launceston
AFL Club
Geelong
If we can make up new rules so you could enter a few drafts without any picks I dont see the big deal here tbh
Never said it was a big deal. I only said I didn't understand what you were asking. Nice to see you have finally grasped that rule change though 😉😅

Just for the record though, as I am not sure how much if this is banter or serious - I am not a mod in this league and my opinion or vote on rule changes etc., is not worth more than the next person. We have had rule changes I disliked (taking away the 2 rucks) and others I liked (live-trading and future-trading of draft picks) and some others I didnt really care one way or another. Hopefully as the league continues to grow and develop, the rules can change to make it more dynamic and interesting.

Sep 4, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Newcastle Jets
Never said it was a big deal. I only said I didn't understand what you were asking. Nice to see you have finally grasped that rule change though 😉😅

Just for the record though, as I am not sure how much if this is banter or serious - I am not a mod in this league and my opinion or vote on rule changes etc., is not worth more than the next person. We have had rule changes I disliked (taking away the 2 rucks) and others I liked (live-trading and future-trading of draft picks) and some others I didnt really care one way or another. Hopefully as the league continues to grow and develop, the rules can change to make it more dynamic and interesting.

A mixture of banter and being serious. The 2 list spots stuff is banter. The Gallucci stuff is serious. In summary his status will be known over a week before round 1. My intention is to keep him. And considering its not something that will have a conclusion after round 1 I don't see how it would be expected for me to give up pick 44 (my last pick) to keep a guy I used a good pick on when he starts round 1 on an AFL list.

It is reasonable to expect the draft to start after AFL lists are final which avoids any of this and is 100% fair on everyone. I do accept its easier to start when we start. But then in order to do that there needs to be a gentleman's agreement I think that anyone in my position gets to keep their player without losing a FA pick or my last pick. If we put a place holder on my pick 44 and he isnt selected then the pick I get shouldnt be the last pick of the draft. It's prob a bit different with Gallucci as you probably wont see too many first round picks in this situation.

Don't get me started on the Rucks. I got shafted more than anyone which makes me not want to get shafted here. When I joined the side I took over had no starting rucks. I traded hard for rucks. Rucks were way over valued because we had to start 2. L.Parker was a player I had to give up. Then when I was leading the league I was fielding a donut every week as I only had one starting ruck. I was shopping all season and had to trade M. Crouch for Cox.

Then when it came to the silly compo picks I was denied Compo for W. Minson, yet someone (I think tender) got a 3rd round compo pick for my ex listed ruck J Redden who got delisted weeks later. So he got a free 3rd round pick. Without this ruck crap i'd have been able to trade Crouch for good picks in a rebuild.

So yeah I dont see myself being quiet on Gallucci lol.

Will be funny if the tigers dont offer him a spot.

Jordie_tackles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
G-town
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, COBC, GWFC, TFC
Maybe me saying a pick at the end of the draft was not the point.
I think a “free” exchange after the draft without using a FA pick is double dipping. I think you need to leave the list spot open until any player is redrafted in the AFL.

or you nominate who you delist pre our draft , as otherwise you gain an advantage in reading about preseason and potentially games also.

it could be that you need to make that call by the time your last natural live draft pick is taken is the fairest outcome. Picking between the draft or The player in question.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 4, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Newcastle Jets
Maybe me saying a pick at the end of the draft was not the point.
I think a “free” exchange after the draft without using a FA pick is double dipping. I think you need to leave the list spot open until any player is redrafted in the AFL.

or you nominate who you delist pre our draft , as otherwise you gain an advantage in reading about preseason and potentially games also.

it could be that you need to make that call by the time your last natural live draft pick is taken is the fairest outcome. Picking between the draft or The player in question.
Happy to nominte who id delist.

Simple solution is start the draft the night of march 9th then. Then its 100% fair on everyone. AFL lists are not final so the draft should not begin.

Jordie_tackles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
G-town
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, COBC, GWFC, TFC

Simple solution is start the draft the night of march 9th then. Then its 100% fair on everyone. AFL lists are not final so the draft should not begin.
I appreciate it would be the fairest option but i just think it is to difficult to organise we all have lives, east coast to west coast. Kids, jobs ect to do a draft 1 week before season. Also I think once preseason games start it compromises the draft in a big way.

Jordie_tackles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
G-town
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, COBC, GWFC, TFC

I think nominating a player to be delisted prior to the draft if gallucci is selected is more than fair.

Sep 4, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Newcastle Jets
I appreciate it would be the fairest option but i just think it is to difficult to organise we all have lives, east coast to west coast. Kids, jobs ect to do a draft 1 week before season. Also I think once preseason games start it compromises the draft in a big way.
I dont disagree with that. Just on principle i dont think I should suffer the 0.1% loss to accomodate that. It is likely the player i nominate as the delisting will be pretty insignificant to the draft

Rockford

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 22, 2006
Halls Head
AFL Club
Geelong
We’ve had similar situations before actually. Zim^zuM has nominated that he wants to keep Galluci. Whoever he takes last in his draft is his Galluci placeholder. If Galluci ends up on a list then there is no “option” to take Galluci at that point, it’s just swapped for him. Even if the kid that gets delisted has broken out and is a shoe-in for Rnd 1. If Galluci doesn’t end up on a list then the placeholder stays on the list as a draft selection. I can’t remember which player we’ve done this for in the past (was potentially a player who was done for PEDs or drugs) but this is how we handled it.

Jordie_tackles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
G-town
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, COBC, GWFC, TFC
I dont disagree with that. Just on principle i dont think I should suffer the 0.1% loss to accomodate that. It is likely the player i nominate as the delisting will be pretty insignificant to the draft
Being able to delist a player only when Gallucci is picked is nothing but even and fair. And you do it the same time as everyone else? What is the disadvantage of this?

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We’ve had similar situations before actually. Zim^zuM has nominated that he wants to keep Galluci. Whoever he takes last in his draft is his Galluci placeholder. If Galluci ends up on a list then there is no “option” to take Galluci at that point, it’s just swapped for him. Even if the kid that gets delisted has broken out and is a shoe-in for Rnd 1. If Galluci doesn’t end up on a list then the placeholder stays on the list as a draft selection. I can’t remember which player we’ve done this for in the past (was potentially a player who was done for PEDs or drugs) but this is how we handled it.
Seems pretty reasonable

Sep 4, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Newcastle Jets
Being able to delist a player only when Gallucci is picked is nothing but even and fair. And you do it the same time as everyone else? What is the disadvantage of this?

People were throwing around words like gamble and last pick of the draft.

My main concern is only that unless i trade my picks around, as it stands i want to use my pick 44. I dont know who I will delist to use that. So i dont want to lose that player should gallucci not be offered a spot. So if i delist him anyone can take him. So id prefer to use my delisted player as the place holder for gallucci. So that takes that player out of the draft pool. Which is the .01% advantage to me. And im saying that since there is a theoretical option to start the draft after galluccis fate is known then i shouldnt have to risk delisting my player and losing him should gallucci not make richmonds list.

It would be less of an issue if i easily had players i want to delist. I actually have 2 players in this situation. But ill reluctantly delist the other one so that im only doing this with one selection.

Sep 4, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Newcastle Jets
Just to add i think it should be a rule for everyone going forward. Should this happen the coach needs to state their intention. They delist a place holder. And when they nominate this its final. They cant change their mind. So should gallucci make the cut, and break his leg 5 minutes later. I have to take him.

tenderwarrior

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2003
Launceston
AFL Club
Geelong
When I wrote my initial response, I was under the impression that an AFL side could pick up Gallucci anytime between now and mid-season, or not at all, hence my use of the word "gamble" as if you held him you might be just wasting a list space on somebody who ended up never being picked up.

I didnt realise that their was a deadline before the season starts. Given that it is not feasible to hold up the draft, Zim^zuM , what is it exactly you would like to see happen? I still do not really know - and I am not saying this is your fault, but I think our brains work in totally different ways 😅

Sep 4, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Newcastle Jets
When I wrote my initial response, I was under the impression that an AFL side could pick up Gallucci anytime between now and mid-season, or not at all, hence my use of the word "gamble" as if you held him you might be just wasting a list space on somebody who ended up never being picked up.

I didnt realise that their was a deadline before the season starts. Given that it is not feasible to hold up the draft, Zim^zuM , what is it exactly you would like to see happen? I still do not really know - and I am not saying this is your fault, but I think our brains work in totally different ways 😅

I already said what i want lol. I will nominate one of my players as the place holder. If gallucci is selected he then takes his place without using one of my 5 FA picks. If he isnt i keep the place holder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back