List Mgmt. 2020 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

With the drafts done and dusted and the list set it's now time to start the focus on the 2020 season.

List Breakdown 2020.jpg

Firstly I've created a depth chart of the list showing the depth we have in each area. IMO the list is as close to a perfect balance as you could get for a premiership contender. We have a high quality top level of talent and then a real even spread of developing talent below them. IMO 2020 will be when we start to see a bit of a transition from relying on the likes of Cotchin Martin Edwards in the midfield to seeing the likes of Graham Ross & hopefully RCD becoming more than second string rotations. I'm also wanting to see the likes of Naish & Turner start to push their claims for the wing spot vacated by the departure of Brandon Ellis. Finally I want to see the likes of Balta Garthwaite Miller Chol & CCJ starting to put their claims forward as the replacements for Riewoldt Astbury & Rance who are much closer to the ends of the careers than the start.

Re-Signing Priorities
As it stands we have the following 15 players coming out of contract in 2020: Houli Miller(?) DES(r) Turner Graham Aarts(r) Short Caddy English Pickett(r) Broad Markov RCD Garthwaite Nankervis

I have them in the following order:
Pickett(r)
Graham
Caddy
Broad
Nankervis
Short
RCD
Garthwaite
DES(r)
Turner
English
Houli
Miller
Aarts(r)
Markov

Houli may surprise some being that low, but like this year I think we'll wait until late in the year to lock him away on another 1 year contract if he wants to continue on. I think the 6 premiership players are the important signings in particular Pickett as if he starts the season in good form the WA clubs, mainly Fremantle, may start getting in his ear about a move back home for a senior list spot. I think we can all agree that Markov is probably the most likely delisting at this stage with the likes of Miller & English also chances of being delisted then rookie listed as we shuffle the list around to accommodate the upgrading of Stack Baker Chol & Pickett next year.

Further to that I believe that McIntosh may well look at moving if he sits in the VFL for most of the year as Fremantle had interest in him this trade period and the whispers about CCJ not being happy about not playing games may see the SA sides come calling as well, with Adelaide having a couple of first round picks to throw around being the danger.

Draft Picks
As it stands we have R1 pick, Saints R2 pick, R3 pick, R4 pick & R5 pick, with Baxter & Rioli Jnr as NGA & F/S picks tied to us. Neither have been mentioned as being highly rated that would require us to use early picks on them and we could be fortunate and get them sliding through to late in the draft or even the rookie draft.

2020 is going to be a fascinating season list management wise as it appears that we may well have to move on a few players we'd ideally like to retain as we try and prioritise who stays on long term.

Last edited:

I find it very interesting that since we won the flag in 2017 we've invested so heavily in the draft. We've drafted 19 players in this period - that's almost half the list in kids (well, and two mature-age prospects in Aarts and Pickett).

2017: Higgins Coleman-Jones Balta Naish Miller Baker Eggmolesse-Smith
2018: Collier-Dawkins Ross Turner English Aarts Stack
2019: Pickett Dow Cumberland Martyn Ralphsmith Nyuon

Brilliant list management that should hopefully eliminate the need to bottom out if we combine this strategy with a couple more star free agents when our out and out guns start to retire.

We probably need to be prepared for some popular players to get traded at the end of 2020, or are expecting 1 or 2 retirements
Either that or we really don't rate the draft next year and will make bare minimum changes
Not only will we need to elevate Pickett off the rookie list on his next contract, but we need to make room for some mandatory draft picks too
There's not too many players coming out of contract who we'd want to move on and the rest are our kids who are still developing

I find it very interesting that since we won the flag in 2017 we've invested so heavily in the draft. We've drafted 19 players in this period - that's almost half the list in kids (well, and two mature-age prospects in Aarts and Pickett).

Brilliant list management that should hopefully eliminate the need to bottom out if we combine this strategy with a couple more star free agents when our out and out guns start to retire.
I think you'll find it helps with managing our salary cap as well as most of those players are on the mandatory minimum contract out of the draft.
Allows us to have a fairly top heavy TPP

We probably need to be prepared for some popular players to get traded at the end of 2020, or are expecting 1 or 2 retirements
Either that or we really don't rate the draft next year and will make bare minimum changes
Not only will we need to elevate Pickett off the rookie list on his next contract, but we need to make room for some mandatory draft picks too
There's not too many players coming out of contract who we'd want to move on and the rest are our kids who are still developing

I think you'll find it helps with managing our salary cap as well as most of those players are on the mandatory minimum contract out of the draft.
Allows us to have a fairly top heavy TPP
The 3 mandatory draft picks can simply be elevating rookies to the main list if we really wanted to go down that path. As I said in the OP I believe we'll delist a couple of senior listed types who we know are minimal risk of getting taken by someone else and shift them to the rookie list to open up spots for elevations to take place.

The 3 mandatory draft picks can simply be elevating rookies to the main list if we really wanted to go down that path. As I said in the OP I believe we'll delist a couple of senior listed types who we know are minimal risk of getting taken by someone else and shift them to the rookie list to open up spots for elevations to take place.
Can you give an example RT...asking for a friend! ;)

Can you give an example RT...asking for a friend! ;)
Kids like Miller or English could be used in this manner. We can still pay them more than first year rookie rates too as certain % of rookie wages aren't counted in the salary cap.

Kids like Miller or English could be used in this manner. We can still pay them more than first year rookie rates too as certain % of rookie wages aren't counted in the salary cap.
So then we can still re-rookie both miller and english as long as an oppo club doesn't get in first?!?

So then we can still re-rookie both miller and english as long as an oppo club doesn't get in first?!?
Correct.

Actually it's only Pickett DES & Aarts on the rookie list that need to be resigned and Pickett is the only one that you'd suggest is a chance of being pinched by another club if we don't elevate him. The other 2 can still remain on the rookie list for another 2 years if we retain them, while Chol Baker & Stack signed 2 year deals which means we don't have to elevate them either.

Correct.

Actually it's only Pickett DES & Aarts on the rookie list that need to be resigned and Pickett is the only one that you'd suggest is a chance of being pinched by another club if we don't elevate him. The other 2 can still remain on the rookie list for another 2 years if we retain them, while Chol Baker & Stack signed 2 year deals which means we don't have to elevate them either.
OK...so can you re-call any club pinching a re-rookied player from another oppo club?!? Just wondering how big a risk this option is...

OK...so can you re-call any club pinching a re-rookied player from another oppo club?!? Just wondering how big a risk this option is...
Saints pinched Abbott from Geelong this year, but generally it doesn't happen as clubs usually follow a handshake agreement not to pinch another clubs players

B:Grimes🏆🏆Rance🏆Broad🏆🏆
HB:Houli🏆🏆Astbury🏆🏆Vlastuin🏆🏆
C:Caddy🏆🏆Prestia🏆🏆Lambert🏆🏆
HF:Edwards🏆🏆Riewoldt 🏆🏆Pickett🏆
F:Rioli🏆🏆Lynch🏆Castagna🏆🏆
FOLL:Nank🏆🏆Cotchin (C)🏆🏆Martin🏆🏆
INT:Graham🏆Bolton🏆StackSoldo🏆
EMG:Short🏆Baker🏆KMac🏆Higgins

credit to
CASEYS9420
Not enough premiership players. Please get Stack and Higgins on the board

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Pickett as much as the next Tigers supporter, I mean come on, he is a 1 game premiership hero

But I also wonder whether he can generate consistent performance which would make him truly worthy of the status many give him. His GF performance was built on great VFL form leading in, timing was perfect, but is that his peak?

Townsend had a purple patch in 2018 and wasn’t sighted again. Hope it won’t be the case with Pickett.

Also wonder whether Higgins will get back from what happened to him. A brain bleed is very serious particularly when related to a congenital condition. Hope for his sake he is ok to come back

Hey _RT_ leave my man English alone
Miller though is gonski, surplus to our needs as is Markov
Maybe Aarts as well as he is way behind the pack of small forwards
Big year for McIntosh as well as he might be looking to go home for more game time to Freo?

I like Pickett as much as the next Tigers supporter, I mean come on, he is a 1 game premiership hero

But I also wonder whether he can generate consistent performance which would make him truly worthy of the status many give him. His GF performance was built on great VFL form leading in, timing was perfect, but is that his peak?

Townsend had a purple patch in 2018 and wasn’t sighted again. Hope it won’t be the case with Pickett.

Also wonder whether Higgins will get back from what happened to him. A brain bleed is very serious particularly when related to a congenital condition. Hope for his sake he is ok to come back

Pickett is a totally different player, Townsend and Caddy as well, were overtaken by getting Lynch to our forward line
Higgins seems to be tracking well at the moment

With the drafts done and dusted and the list set it's now time to start the focus on the 2020 season.

View attachment 787040

Firstly I've created a depth chart of the list showing the depth we have in each area. IMO the list is as close to a perfect balance as you could get for a premiership contender. We have a high quality top level of talent and then a real even spread of developing talent below them. IMO 2020 will be when we start to see a bit of a transition from relying on the likes of Cotchin Martin Edwards in the midfield to seeing the likes of Graham Ross & hopefully RCD becoming more than second string rotations. I'm also wanting to see the likes of Naish & Turner start to push their claims for the wing spot vacated by the departure of Brandon Ellis. Finally I want to see the likes of Balta Garthwaite Miller Chol & CCJ starting to put their claims forward as the replacements for Riewoldt Astbury & Rance who are much closer to the ends of the careers than the start.

Re-Signing Priorities
As it stands we have the following 15 players coming out of contract in 2020: Houli Miller(?) DES(r) Turner Graham Aarts(r) Short Caddy English Pickett(r) Broad Markov RCD Garthwaite Nankervis

I have them in the following order:
Pickett(r)
Graham
Caddy
Broad
Nankervis
Short
RCD
Garthwaite
DES(r)
Turner
English
Houli
Miller
Aarts(r)
Markov

Houli may surprise some being that low, but like this year I think we'll wait until late in the year to lock him away on another 1 year contract if he wants to continue on. I think the 6 premiership players are the important signings in particular Pickett as if he starts the season in good form the WA clubs, mainly Fremantle, may start getting in his ear about a move back home for a senior list spot. I think we can all agree that Markov is probably the most likely delisting at this stage with the likes of Miller & English also chances of being delisted then rookie listed as we shuffle the list around to accommodate the upgrading of Stack Baker Chol & Pickett next year.

Further to that I believe that McIntosh may well look at moving if he sits in the VFL for most of the year as Fremantle had interest in him this trade period and the whispers about CCJ not being happy about not playing games may see the SA sides come calling as well, with Adelaide having a couple of first round picks to throw around being the danger.

Draft Picks
As it stands we have R1 pick, Saints R2 pick, R3 pick, R4 pick & R5 pick, with Baxter & Rioli Jnr as NGA & F/S picks tied to us. Neither have been mentioned as being highly rated that would require us to use early picks on them and we could be fortunate and get them sliding through to late in the draft or even the rookie draft.

2020 is going to be a fascinating season list management wise as it appears that we may well have to move on a few players we'd ideally like to retain as we try and prioritise who stays on long term.
Pickett has stated he'll be a Tiger for life.

Big year for McIntosh as well as he might be looking to go home for more game time to Freo?
I like both English & Turner.
I think McIntosh/Markov & Miller are in trouble.
Short is expendable.

Aarts doesn't count as a senior list change and given we need to move on a minimum of 3 players for draft reasons I can see a situation where someone like him is given the delist/rookie list treatment. Personally I'd rather we didn't as like you I like the boy.
Pickett has stated he'll be a Tiger for life.
Pretty sure Tim Kelly said similar things early on, until the Eagles came offering decent coin and longer term security than the Cats were capable of offering

I like both English & Turner.
I think McIntosh/Markov & Miller are in trouble.
Short is expendable.
I think MMM are all unlikely to be on the Richmond senior list in 2021

i think there is an outside chance english gets let go. would be rough as he is a 2nd year player but list spots are hard to come by and a lot of competition around the his size and age group now.

i think there is an outside chance english gets let go. would be rough as he is a 2nd year player but list spots are hard to come by and a lot of competition around the his size and age group now.

yeah I honestly agree, there are no guaranties in the AFL, especially when we recruit blokes like Pickett and Stack for nothing
We'll probably know who is in the firing line around mid year when contracts are being handed out
RCD and maybe Turner are the only ones that look safe from last years draft
16 players are up for contracts at the end of 2020, that's a lot, some will have to be let go unfortunately

Last edited:

He had that game off half a season in the VFL & no pre season whatsoever, he's only just getting into 2nd gear....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back