List Mgmt. 2020 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Couldn't get into Wines last year, given what we may have likely had to give up and even less interested this year.
He's not a 'The Difference' sort of player and if he's not the second best mid after Cripps, where may he fit? No thanks....at this stage.

Even though we were close to Papley last year, this year brings us back into the mix with potentially 16 other clubs. i.e. I feel that moment is over.

Goal-kickers, goal-kickers, a ruck-man and then some more goal-kickers.

I think most of our "needs" may have been addressed medium to long term

We saw in the 2nd half of the season that we can compete with sides in that mid table side

A B grade ruckman, at the very least, would be a priority, followed by an up and coming KPD
That would depend on certain players, who shall remain nameless, overcoming persistent injuries. You are right regarding trade targets for the end of the year, however, at least on paper.

Couldn't get into Wines last year, given what we may have likely had to give up and even less interested this year.
He's not a 'The Difference' sort of player and if he's not the second best mid after Cripps, where may he fit? No thanks....at this stage.

Even though we were close to Papley last year, this year brings us back into the mix with potentially 16 other clubs. i.e. I feel that moment is over.

Goal-kickers, goal-kickers, a ruck-man and then some more goal-kickers.

I would argue wines could be the missing link. We have all seen what prestia has done to the tigers midfield but adding some extra quality to their midfield rotation. Could actually be the final piece of the puzzle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would argue wines could be the missing link. We have all seen what prestia has done to the tigers midfield but adding some extra quality to their midfield rotation. Could actually be the final piece of the puzzle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's definitely not the missing link.

If we were looking for another midfielder, they'd be a balanced/outside mid.

Cripps, Setterfield, Kemp, Dow, Philp, Kennedy and Cuningham on the inside is more than enough. Not to mention Ed and Murphy.

I'm not picking Levi as a bench player. He's a starting key forward with Charlie out. If all our talls are fit, he's in the emergencies.

I have Simmo as the 7th pick defender, not the 5th.
Okay.

I have three opposition forward lines for you: West Coast (in 2018, because it was superior in that year), Richmond, Collingwood

WC
HF Hutchings Darling Lecras
FF Rioli Kennedy Cripps

Collingwood
H De Goey Mihocek Hoskin-Elliot
FF Stephenson Cox Thomas

Richmond
HF Rioli Cotchin Lambert
FF Castagna Lynch Riewoldt

Could you please demonstrate to me where to fit Marchbank in in terms of who he plays on, and how the lack of one of Plowman, Weitering or Jones is compensated for, or how Marchbank is a better matchup against either a small than Docherty, Williamson, etc?

Okay.

I have three opposition forward lines for you: West Coast (in 2018, because it was superior in that year), Richmond, Collingwood

WC
HF Hutchings Darling Lecras
FF Rioli Kennedy Cripps

Collingwood
H De Goey Mihocek Hoskin-Elliot
FF Stephenson Cox Thomas

Richmond
HF Rioli Cotchin Lambert
FF Castagna Lynch Riewoldt

Could you please demonstrate to me where to fit Marchbank in in terms of who he plays on, and how the lack of one of Plowman, Weitering or Jones is compensated for, or how Marchbank is a better matchup against either a small than Docherty, Williamson, etc?

I'd pick Dennis Armfield at CHB to play on Cotchin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DeGoey and Papley would be the dream.
Wont happen though
be a little unfair to rip him away from the pies after their cheersquad went to all that trouble outsourcing the spelling on the degoey banners............

I won't worry too much about the opposition. Just pick your best defence. Which looks something like:

Doc, Jones, Plow
Marchbank, Weitering, Samo

Simmo
The coaches would go in with clear matchups, and designs for who plays on who. They would have exit plans (how we want to leave back 50) and they would have players they want to play through (via arranging the matchups they want, they can exploit a player mismatch) as well as undesirable matchups and things that they would want to prevent.

Don't take this the wrong way, but that's an archaic way to look at the sport.

The coaches would go in with clear matchups, and designs for who plays on who. They would have exit plans (how we want to leave back 50) and they would have players they want to play through (via arranging the matchups they want, they can exploit a player mismatch) as well as undesirable matchups and things that they would want to prevent.

When was the last time a top 4 team dropped one of their best back 6 for match-up reasons?

If it happens, it’s extremely rare. Good teams back themselves in to win their way. They might drop a 2nd ruckman, or 3rd tall forward in the wet, but nobody’s dropping mobile, intercepting, best 18 defenders based on matchups.

Call it archaic if you like, but something like 6 of the last 7 premiership defences have been “tall”

yes but . There is a lot to be said for continuity. Playing with the same back 6-7 can have its advantages as well. Sure there are the specific match ups that need to be addressed such as your Buddys, GAJ,Eddie, Stevie J et al that if they get off the leash -se la vie. But you would expect all of these elite players to be covered with your top 3-4 defenders anyway . It seems to me that it is only if you have a substandard defence that you need to chop and change... Thats not us anymore IMO

We may look for another but I don’t see this as a priority.

Pittonet and TDK are both young.

Agreed not an immediate need, but should be the first point of call

After MK and Levi (gone in the next 1-3 years?), we have 3 on the list that are ruckmen or relief chop outs. If it's through the draft, get them in now, if it's via a trade, create that target list now

You don't drop anyone in your back 6, you use other players within the side for possible mismatch exposure/tactics

The thing is though, our best back 6 hasn't cemented itself (like many other areas) as yet and with Simmo close to retiring, it will change again

The only locks at the moment are Weitering, Jones, Doc. Plowman would be next in the priority. Every other contender is fighting for a spot

I think you have to look further than that...and again - For every action there's a reaction.
If Marchbank doesn't fit for instance, you don't want to then be 'creating' a new role for him further up the ground.

One has to look at the whole and if speed is suited against opponent x on a particular day, pick the team that meets that requirement.
I agree with Teague in that our first 30 players all have a right to be involved...so why not involve them when and as, required?

Having depth is vital for injuries and form slumps, not for reinventing players, although versatility if king

You may drop a tall forward for a small if weather dictates the need, but you rarely drop a back 6 player. This is why agility and speed is so important, players like Jones can play on a variety of players.

I have no concerns with Marchbank coming through, he just needs continiuty, but he is not a lock yet. When he does, he either plays on a 3rd tall, or a marking medium defender. We have enough flexibility in a selected 7, to play in that backline, no matter what the opposition does.

Just thinking.....Will our Northern Blues be competitive this year?
I'm going to list our first 22 side, take five players away accounting for injuries and hold-overs for the main squad and see what comes about.

Simpson Jones Plowman
Docherty Weitering SPS
Kreuzer Cripps Murphy
Walsh Setterfield Newnes

Martin CCurnow Cuningham
Betts McKay McGovern
ECurnow Newman Fisher Casboult
EMG: JSilvagni Dow Williamson Marchbank Gibbons

Cottrell Goddard BSilvagni
Lang Macreadie Polson
Pittonet Kennedy Philp
O'Brien Stocker Ramsay

O'Dwyer TDK Phillips
Owies Kemp Honey
NB players: 1, 2, 3 & 4

Looks to me as though the NB's are going to be in for a tough year.
It doesn't help losing the likes of Fisher, Anderson & Palmer either.

Just thinking.....Will our Northern Blues be competitive this year?
I'm going to list our first 22 side, take five players away accounting for injuries and hold-overs for the main squad and see what comes about.

Simpson Jones Plowman
Docherty Weitering SPS
Kreuzer Cripps Murphy
Walsh Setterfield Newnes

Martin CCurnow Cuningham
Betts McKay McGovern
ECurnow Newman Fisher Casboult
EMG: JSilvagni Dow Williamson Marchbank Gibbons

Cottrell Goddard BSilvagni
Lang Macreadie Polson
Pittonet Kennedy Philp
O'Brien Stocker Ramsay

O'Dwyer TDK Phillips
Owies Kemp Honey
NB players: 1, 2, 3 & 4

Looks to me as though the NB's are going to be in for a tough year.
It doesn't help losing the likes of Fisher, Anderson & Palmer either.
That side will struggle big time imo

Really interesting discussion about the backline. Firstly if Marchbank can improve his defending by 10-20% wether that’s against third talls, medium or small forwards it would make things a hell of a lot easier. Secondly if we play Doc, SPS, Simpson, Newman and Marchbank (alongside Weitering, Jones and Plowman who are the main lockdown defenders) then considering they rest off the ground we probably only need to play someone like Simpson as a 20% wing and SPS as 20-25% mid, wing, HFF and they can all fit.

Pretending a game goes for 100 min that’s 600min of game time for all defenders
Weitering 90
Jones 90
Plowman 85
Doc 80
Newman 75
Marchbank 80
SPS 50 and 25 in another position
Simpson 50 and 20 on the wing.
Change that around how you like though and it may work

Last edited:
Status