List Mgmt. 2020 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dunno how we got onto discussing forwards, clearly mids is the main gap on the list which you would hope Austin would be hoping to address. Next year will be most telling, for if we actually need to reconsider Charlie’s position at Carlton.
Our leading goal kicker last year was Harry with 26. Mitch McGovern next with 22 then Charlie with 18 from 11 games. We clearly dont have an amazing forwardline no matter how much people want to put their spin on it.

There was a reason why we went after Papley. We need players that can kick around 2 goals a game. Hence why people have starting praying for Cameron who kicked over 3 a game.

Of course mids are of a high priority, but our forwardline to me is all potential right now with a few role players going through there. Gibbons was our 4th highest goal scorer last year which say nothing great about the forwards we have.

Martin will be a win. But the jury is still out on the rest until the likes of Charlie, mckay and McGovern can kick an average of 2 and above goals a game. 1 ain't going to cut it for key pillars imo

Our leading goal kicker last year was Harry with 26. Mitch McGovern next with 22 then Charlie with 18 from 11 games. We clearly dont have an amazing forwardline no matter how much people want to put their spin on it.

Harry and Charlie are outstanding young footballers. Any club would love to have either of them, we're incredibly lucky to have both.

A fit McGovern makes every forward line in the competition, as does a focused Martin.

We have an amazing forward line on paper. Sadly we haven't yet seen them play enough as a unit.

From a personnel perspective, small forwards are our biggest issue right now forward of centre. That's why Papley makes sense.

There was a reason why we went after Papley. We need players that can kick around 2 goals a game. Hence why people have starting praying for Cameron who kicked over 3 a game.

Small forwards are our biggest issue right now forward of centre. We've got a couple of aerial beasts but few who possess genuine smarts and ability to crumb when the ball hits the deck.

Martin does this very well, though he's not a traditional small forward.

Eddie has has great success at this for well over a decade, though he's only a stop-gap solution.

Cuningham has the ability, but not the consistency.

That's why Papley makes sense. He's not just a small forward, but he's incredibly dangerous when he's deep forward or at the feet of the talls. He hits the ball at pace and knows his way around goals.

As for the number of goals, what we need is a spread rather than one or two focal points. If we can get 20+ goals out of 4 or 5 of our forwards we'll be in a good place.

Of course mids are of a high priority, but our forwardline to me is all potential right now with a few role players going through there. Gibbons was our 4th highest goal scorer last year which say nothing great about the forwards we have.

Nothing wrong with role players. Every good premiership side has them, and the past few have had plenty, particularly forward of centre.

That's not to say I can see Gibbons being a premiership player, but there are plenty of worse footballers who have been part of successful sides.

Gibbons only kicked one less than Rioli last year.

Martin will be a win. But the jury is still out on the rest until the likes of Charlie, mckay and McGovern can kick an average of 2 and above goals a game. 1 ain't going to cut it for key pillars imo

As above, you don't need 3 players to average more than 2 goals per game, to be a successful side.

It may help, but you don't even need 2 of them.

All of those guys missed some games which doesn't help; also the delivery to them was often poor. Harry was playing through a groin injury which wouldn't have helped his kicking style. So there is rightfully so, a few caveats to their results.
More A grade mids, better delivery, more inside 50s & who knows what these guys can do.

All of those guys missed some games which doesn't help; also the delivery to them was often poor. Harry was playing through a groin injury which wouldn't have helped his kicking style. So there is rightfully so, a few caveats to their results.
More A grade mids, better delivery, more inside 50s & who knows what these guys can do.
1000% this. forwards arent going to score too many goals without good supply. our forwards have a tonne of talent. with martin and betts (ven though short term) in the side forward set up is now very very good. time to focus on getting an elite mid and contnue developing our existing mids.

1000% this. forwards arent going to score too many goals without good supply. our forwards have a tonne of talent. with martin and betts (ven though short term) in the side forward set up is now very very good. time to focus on getting an elite mid and contnue developing our existing mids.
Ideally we get Brad Crouch and Hately into the team next year.

Ideally we get Brad Crouch and Hately into the team next year.
Jackson Hately? Dont know too much about him. Only drafted in 2018. He is from SA so may prefer to go back to home state if he was to move.

Also, I'm not sure he would have an immediate impact (still relatively young)...probably will need to wait for him to develop like a few of our current mids?

My view is we are running out of time to get the rebuild on track in a balanced way. Therefore we should target a very good proven mid that can hit the ground running....someone with some tuffness would be great as well. Someone who could tag team with cripps, and play forward/kick goals as well.

The ideal type of player I think we need is zurhaar. Im not sure we can get him but he is the sort of player i think we need. Kemp could be this player in the future.

Not mids, A grade mids. I know it's one game but I was bitterly disappointed with Setterfield's game against Richmond, was hoping he would be the one to join Cripps and eventually Walsh. Dow also very worrying. Need one of Dow, SPS, Setterfield to become A grade.

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed with Setterfield and Dow against Richmond. Actually I was also and surprisingly a little underwhelmed by Walsh's performance. Agree that we need a couple of midfielders to step up, and we'll then really be on our way. But I'm convinced the talent really is there. Just started watching through last year's wins again, and Setterfield and Dow keep doing things that get me really excited.

FWIW, I reckon SPS (like Weitering) has taken that extra step. Maybe we should consider reinserting him into midfield.

FWIW, I reckon SPS (like Weitering) has taken that extra step. Maybe we should consider reinserting him into midfield.

Release the Petrevski-Seton!

Hmmm, not as catchy as I thought it would be...

Jackson Hately? Dont know too much about him. Only drafted in 2018. He is from SA so may prefer to go back to home state if he was to move.

Also, I'm not sure he would have an immediate impact (still relatively young)...probably will need to wait for him to develop like a few of our current mids?

My view is we are running out of time to get the rebuild on track in a balanced way. Therefore we should target a very good proven mid that can hit the ground running....someone with some tuffness would be great as well. Someone who could tag team with cripps, and play forward/kick goals as well.

The ideal type of player I think we need is zurhaar. Im not sure we can get him but he is the sort of player i think we need. Kemp could be this player in the future.
Not sure our rebuild is running out of time? Cripps is 25 and most of our team are 19-23 years of age. We have plenty of time on our hands.

Of course id like us playing finals in 2021, will it happen? Who knows.

Papley and Brad Crouch would make a huge difference. The biggest difference though is improvement from our list and something we need sooner rather than later.

Hately would be a very welcome addition

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed with Setterfield and Dow against Richmond. Actually I was also and surprisingly a little underwhelmed by Walsh's performance. Agree that we need a couple of midfielders to step up, and we'll then really be on our way. But I'm convinced the talent really is there. Just started watching through last year's wins again, and Setterfield and Dow keep doing things that get me really excited.

I dunno why so many on this board are cooling on Setterfield on the basis of a reasonably underwhelming pre-season and a down game against Richmond to which he was again played out of position. He is still a young guy finding his feet at AFL level after suffering a serious injury early on his career, and having only just completed his first full season.

The expectations on these guys has to be consistent with their experience and the role they are being expected to play in contrast with the position they will eventually settle into. I have no idea why we are persisting with him on a forward flank, but if it's a directive then we have to accept he's going to have down games, as all young players do.

It's the same for Walsh. We treat him like he's a seasoned midfielder because he mostly plays like one, but he's still a second year player. He's also going to have average games every now and then, but the flipside is he will actually soon start building on those few dominant performances last season and even start exceeding them. Is anyone really going to be surprised when he has a lazy 40 and kicks a couple of timely goals?

We took the hardest possible path, and that always amounts to some splintered development in our younger players. We wont get a real glimpse of what business as usual looks like for the squad until at least a few more years.

Last edited:
Not sure our rebuild is running out of time? Cripps is 25 and most of our team are 19-23 years of age. We have plenty of time on our hands.

Papley and Brad Crouch would make a huge difference. The biggest difference though is improvement from our list and something we need sooner rather than later.

Agreed, handled himself really well last year; granted it's far easier to step up in that stacked GWS team.

I'm still optimistic on Crouch, and in terms of obtaining a career-best contract back in his home state the end of season is his best opportunity, with the caveat he gets through the full season unscathed.

A few injuries could really torpedo his value though.

Cripps is 25. In 2 years if we still don’t have an A grade midfield (of a satisfactory performing midfield group) to help him out you don’t think he will start thinking about going to WA? Personally I doubt it but you never know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cripps is 25. In 2 years if we still don’t have an A grade midfield (of a satisfactory performing midfield group) to help him out you don’t think he will start thinking about going to WA? Personally I doubt it but you never know.
Not at all.
You can't just buy an A grade midfield like the olden days... growth will come from within.

I hope Liam Stocker has been keeping to his fitness regime. This break could be awesome for him, giving him more time to work on his tank. I'll be disappointed if we don't see much of him when the season restarts.

Sounds like he's nowhere near it when the coaches talk, but he looked great when he played last year

I hope Liam Stocker has been keeping to his fitness regime. This break could be awesome for him, giving him more time to work on his tank. I'll be disappointed if we don't see much of him when the season restarts.

Also hope O'brien puts on 1-2kgs over the break too.

We need his quality disposal by foot asap. Felt we lacked a bit of polish during the preseason matches and round 1.

Just needs to hold his ground in the contest a bit better and we'll have a great player on our hands.

Have a peak at Hately’s stats from his 2 pre season games for GWS as they are eye opening, I think he is one that is ready to have an immediate impact on the competition and would be a great addition to Cripps and Walsh for years to come.

Brad Crouch I’m not that keen on especially with the $$$ he is spruiking that he wants.

Also hope O'brien puts on 1-2kgs over the break too.

We need his quality disposal by foot asap. Felt we lacked a bit of polish during the preseason matches and round 1.

Just needs to hold his ground in the contest a bit better and we'll have a great player on our hands.
Definitely looked much thicker in the torso this year than previous so I think we will see a much better contested game from Obi4 when we finally get back, he has also stated that contested work was what he needed to improve on so I expect a step in the right direction from the young fella and I agree his ball use especially his kicking going inside 50 is something we desperately need.

Cameron 76 goals (1st in AFL)
Finlayson 44 goals (8th)
Himmelberg 38 goals (13th)
May as well include Toby Greene for good measure.
My point was not that they lack attacking weapons but that they haven't done well in partnering Jezza up with another KPF - realistically, if Patton or Boyd became half as good as hoped, there's every chance they would have won a flag by now.

May as well include Toby Greene for good measure.
My point was not that they lack attacking weapons but that they haven't done well in partnering Jezza up with another KPF - realistically, if Patton or Boyd became half as good as hoped, there's every chance they would have won a flag by now.

Last time I checked Alex Jesaulenko never played for GWS.

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back