Preview 2020 Marsh Preseason R1 - Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Any news on why Bergman or Williams arent in the mix?

Are we holding out a few due to the u23 game? Does that mean Georgaides drops out of the 30 to?

Really hope Cox fires, prefer him to Farrell

I'm not sure I see being massively excited to see our two draftees against an AFL side as a "problem", but fair enough.

Draftees are cool.

List depth is cooler.

Draftees are cool.

List depth is cooler.
Our "cool" list depth like McKenzie and Sutcliffe will become rusted on best 22 by the middle of the year when Hinkley is trying to save his career.

Our "cool" list depth like McKenzie and Sutcliffe will become rusted on best 22 by the middle of the year when Hinkley is trying to save his career.

If he’s got to look to those two to save his career, it means there’s been a failure elsewhere, because I wouldn’t be relying on those two for anything just at the moment (that can change with form though).

McKenzie 100% earns his chance to play for a 22 spot. He was in fantastic form for the entire second half of last year and from all reports has had a great preseason.

He has an amazing leg on him, which is such an important weapon coming out of the back lines in the modern game.
This is really his first solid run of a year or so with no injury concerns.

Am i totallu delusinal to think that our 23 and under team would give that NAB cup team a run for its money??
U23 lacks KPB of quality now, and a few players of course not ready but id say they would still push that side!! Not only that would be a hell of a lot more exciting to see and develope!

FB Frederick - Grundy - Burton
HB Garner - Pasini - Patmore
C Duursma - SPP - Burgoyne
HF Cox - Georgiades - Farrell
FF Butters - Marshall - Bergman
F Ladhams - Houston - Rozee
Int Hayes - Drew - Williams - Mead - Atley

I really dont get it. I come here because there are some very footy-intelligent people here ... I want to be informed, but often just come away shaking my head!

EG: Seemingly intelligent posters melting that Bergman & Williams are not in the first competitive hitout ... yet it is public knowledge that they have been eased into full training and have to be managed until they get the full tick to go ahead. Seriously! I want to see them too, but lets get them A-OK first guys! I am sure they will have a run in the under-23 team.

I will reserve my melts for the last preseason game, that will be the game where we get a real handle on who the coaches think are in the final 22

I'm interested in seeing how our midfield goes this weekend, although understandably without Lycett and Gray. Brisbane was a team that bettered us around the stoppage in our 2 matches last season (featuring in 2 out of 7 games we lost the stoppage clearance count).

If we can't beat them around the stoppage we are going to need miracle levels of improvement with the ball delivering inside 50 and/or a better than average day of scoring conversion.

Expecting a loss, but probably one of the best teams we could have played in the pre-season to get a gauge on where we are at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thread for all the first preseason game of 2020 melts. Selection melts. Terrorising Neale melts. Sack Hinkley melts. Too many people posting sack Hinkley melts. Cheese melts. Stop melting about preseason melts.

******* melts about how neither of my buddies were selected for the first preseason game melts. Patmore and Cox were ******* robbed. ******* travesty.
Excellent OP :thumbsu:

Weve named pretty much a best available team. Im not sure what is worth getting upset over
I think we have picked all the certainties and then favored the older players for the spots up for grabs this week knowing the youngsters will get a chance to shine next week.

Week 3 will be the best available so I'll reserve judgement til then.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Underwhelming.

That forward line, as named, is horrendous.

Sutcliffe. Youth.

Sutcliffe isn't even playing. So sick of people here jumping to negatives every chance they get.

We named an initial 30 man squad and couldn't pick Gray or Lycett, as well as having an U23 game for any young fringe players coming up that they need to be held out for. If thats what it takes for Sutcliffe to be named then so be it - it's pretty acceptable for him to be our 32nd best player in my eyes.

Am i totallu delusinal to think that our 23 and under team would give that NAB cup team a run for its money??
U23 lacks KPB of quality now, and a few players of course not ready but id say they would still push that side!! Not only that would be a hell of a lot more exciting to see and develope!

FB Frederick - Grundy - Burton
HB Garner - Pasini - Patmore
C Duursma - SPP - Burgoyne
HF Cox - Georgiades - Farrell
FF Butters - Marshall - Bergman
F Ladhams - Houston - Rozee
Int Hayes - Drew - Williams - Mead - Atley

Might even beat Glenelg, Sturt, Norwood...

;)

The thing that has thrown me is how the team is written on paper wasn’t what I expected. I think that I’m use to pre season games being full of kids, but that’s not the case anymore with 2 preseason games.

what this team highlights is potential depth issues (especially for tall backs). I’m going to reserve my judgement though until Sunday night and what tactics are employed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back