Toast 2020 McLelland Trophy Winners

Remove this Banner Ad

It would be great if there was some sort of incentive and reward for this rather than a who cares cup. Finishing top after regular season is an achievement worth commending.
In all honesty, as more and more top teams start managing players throughout the season, I reckon the TV stations will push for something like it in order to try and keep alive the amount of 'interest' in games. Especially if the season does end up being lengthened beyond 22+ games as rumoured (although I doubt it will).

What would we have expected as achievements this year when we first set out?
In order I would have thought:
1. make finals - done
2. minor premiership - done
3,. win a final - to be done
4. make GF - to be done
5. win a flag - to be done.

Almost half way there. Proud of what the blokes have done so far, exceeded my expectations in spades.

Now the real stuff begins. This is what people remember forever. This is what makes men out of boys, and legends out of journeymen.

Do well at the pointy end of the year and you will make me and tens of thousands of others delirious with joy.

Carpe diem!

Between 2000-19 ie using the current finals system, finishing

1st - 70% chance to make a GF, 30% chance to win a flag
2nd - 60% chance to make a GF, 35% chance to win a flag
3rd - 50% chance to make a GF, 30% chance to win a flag
4th - 10% chance to make a GF, 0% chance to win a flag
6th - 5% chance to make a GF, 0% chance to win a flag
7th - 5% chance to make a GF, 5% chance to win a flag

So being minor premiers guarantees you nothing!! But it gives you the best chance to make a GF.

1600742412803.png

Between 2000-19 ie using the current finals system, finishing

1st - 70% chance to make a GF, 30% chance to win a flag
2nd - 60% chance to make a GF, 35% chance to win a flag
3rd - 50% chance to make a GF, 30% chance to win a flag
4th - 10% chance to make a GF, 0% chance to win a flag
6th - 5% chance to make a GF, 0% chance to win a flag
7th - 5% chance to make a GF, 5% chance to win a flag

So being minor premiers guarantees you nothing!! But it gives you the best chance to make a GF.

View attachment 967766
I'm pleased to see that statistically Geelong can't win the premiership.

We can talk about percentages and precedent till the cows come home but the basic equation is that we need to win 3 games to win a flag. One week at a time, but I’m confident we have the tools to do it.

In the 2017 H/A season, Richmond won 1/4 games against other top 4 teams - the losses included a 76 point thrashing by the Crows.
Against top 8 sides, they won 4/8 games. No prizes for guessing what happened in the finals.

We're definitely in it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As well as the players and coaches, kudos to our other off-field people as well. A lot of them have also had to do the hub thing. Everyone talks about the players being away from their families, but so have all the coaches, the fitness staff etc. Our fitness people have done a great job. The players came back in great condition after the break in the season and have been able to run out games all year regardless of the short breaks, and we have had very few injuries that could be put down to poor management. No-one at the club has whinged even once about any of the challenges we have dealt with, our attitude has been great.

There have been lot's of comments about our resilience and 'connection' among the players. I have heard Charlie talk about a particular person that we have at the club mentoring the players, so I'm not sure how much of it is because of that, but we are vastly better as far as our on-field resilience now compared to the last few years.

So far, it's hard to fault anything about the way the entire club has performed this season. Just three more games to win this year :pear::pear::pear:

It used to be 1 million $ I'm sure... this year?
No there was never any prize money for finishing first. You guys are thinking of when the AFL decided to increase prize money from $300k to $1.2m and the club split the $$$ with the players.

The winner of the preseason comp used to get about double the prizemoney of winner of the flag before the above changed around 2006.

We have had the best defence all yr but everyone seems to be leaving Jonas and dbj out of their final all Australian 22 both should be in 1 minimum.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back