Opinion 2020 membership renewal

If Ken remains senior coach will you be renewing for 2020?

• Yes

Votes: 77 48.1%
  • No

Votes: 83 51.9%

• Total voters

steve4445

All Australian
Jul 18, 2010
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
To those who haven't renewed/won't renew, what will get you back on board for 2020?

We all know a large percentage want Ken gone, but it's also fairly clear to see that won't be happening right now; so what could the club do today to get you on board?
  • More accountability?
  • A clearer message across the board?
  • One captain?
I get we all want to get the message across that we aren't happy; but I'm also not sure the solution of cancelling memberships is going to help get us back on track; so keen to hear what people want/expect that the club could actually do as of right now (with the understanding of other major changes at a later date).
I get the final say really on 8 memberships, i really really don't want to renew. Even in the dark days i could not miss a game, there was nothing that would stop me from attending. The direction and the disconnect has me feeling so un interested this last 12 months going to the games has become a chore - I think i went to 5 games this year. How much longer does the club want to treat us with such distain - KT came out towards the end of this year and said Ken was coaching at the top of his game:think: the out cry of the co captains this year and the club came out and did it anyway - it was a dismal failure and we all-ready have Jonas out there buttering us up for it again next year - it just shows us that the club doesn't care and isn't going to listen to us.The only reason i will consider renewing is to keep my seats, even then i am thinking of just making it 8 kids tickets instead of adults tickets as a cheap way of keeping the tickets.

As an opposing question for you, KT acknowledged the disconnect and said they were trying to fix it, since then the disconnect has gotten bigger and the club still doesn't care. How else would you propose we could get our message across to the club as voicing our opinion has not worked so far.

portly

Premiership Player
Apr 8, 2001
SA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm sitting on the fence. While I don't want to contribute to what I see as the cause of our woes, I don't want to jeopardise the club in the long term. So the idea of banking the money for future seasons is starting to resonate with me.

Personally IMHO, I've emotionally checked out. From my perspective, board, coaching panel and many players have taken a dump on what the club means to me, don't have the humility to apologise, acknowledge any errors and are full of excuses for sub par representation of the club.

Rather than seeing it as a privilege and honour to be part of something bigger, feels to me they're just clocking on and doing the bare minimum to keep the status quo of their employment status. Albeit at our club or we'll do our best to get you a job somewhere else.

Mrs and kids still want in, but to them it's just AFL, they don't appreciate the representation of what the club means to me on a national stage.

I think back to 2015 preseason where they trained in royal facilities, that, the fireworks pre game, Farriss brothers etc. Never sat well with me. Too much razzamatazz.

We've been working class for 150 years and it's humility, work rate and ultimately sacrificing self for the collective that I want to see front and centre.

None of this, "mate, you might not get opportunities so you're better off looking elsewhere" crap.

I'd rather hear, "mate, there's competition coming through for your spot, so you better make sure you train your ass off in the preseason so these guys don't take your spot, and if they do, you better set the bar high enough that they deserve it"

No deck chairs in preseason, want the whole club roughing it and busting ass to find that hunger again. No more excuses and no more lip service.

Also don't need someone who is meant to be a club leader telling me just to sign up and support the boys. Been supporting the club before you were born and will be there long after you go. If you want our support then try proving you're worth it.
Really well expresses my feelings.

I have stayed, never in doubt really, but i have limits, i think.

Who could trust anything that comes out of the club anyway. Until they ACTUALLY make changes rather than just lip service them then they are a rabble. Noted by the co-captain last week telling everyone how great the co-captaincy was and we would have all loved it i we won a premiership. If I was the club I would be telling him to STFU on the issue.

May 3, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Who could trust anything that comes out of the club anyway. Until they ACTUALLY make changes rather than just lip service them then they are a rabble. Noted by the co-captain last week telling everyone how great the co-captaincy was and we would have all loved it i we won a premiership. If I was the club I would be telling him to STFU on the issue.
I concur wholeheartedly

AFC AFeederClub

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
anyone who supports the club through membership with their arrogance, stubborness, petulance is just perpetuating the problem, i would even suggest that not buying a membership would be the best thing you could do for the club right now. At the moment they are in such a state of denial & arrogance that they would even call-out angry members as the 'basket of deplorables' the club doesnt need. This club first needs to implode before it can go forward because the point of no-return with this coach & ad-min was last year, they choose to proceed beyond the tipping point so now we just have to wait till they go over the cliff, they are gone from the scene and then we can support the club again as a club should be supported through think & thin, you can cop losing etc etc but you cant cop the middle finger over a multi-year period and expect us to turn up like lemmings. Sorry Ken Keith & Koch but when your gone i'll be interested again.

HinkleysHeroes

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He really shows us that he isn't a capable leader of this club in very little words.

Just to be clear guys, no one has hacked into my account and I haven't been asked to ask/say anything haha, though can see how it would read that way.

I'm also hurting, and am too incredibly frustrated by a number of things right now and though I'm super lucky enough to be an Ambassador for the club; it's been really difficult to not constantly be negative online with a bunch of the direction also (which is kind of against what the intention of the role is). I love the club despite all of this though, and don't want to see us continue to fault and fail.

I guess I'm fortunate enough to be close enough to the club, but also distant enough that I can say the right things, to the right people and hope that it's an additional push for a message that should have been well and truly received. I'm meeting with the club tomorrow, so I guess just wanted to get some clarity for my own sake and I think it's fair to say, that most here are aligned. Thanks boo's. x

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just to be clear guys, no one has hacked into my account and I haven't been asked to ask/say anything haha, though can see how it would read that way.

I'm also hurting, and am too incredibly frustrated by a number of things right now and though I'm super lucky enough to be an Ambassador for the club; it's been really difficult to not constantly be negative online with a bunch of the direction also (which is kind of against what the intention of the role is). I love the club despite all of this though, and don't want to see us continue to fault and fail.

I guess I'm fortunate enough to be close enough to the club, but also distant enough that I can say the right things, to the right people and hope that it's an additional push for a message that should have been well and truly received. I'm meeting with the club tomorrow, so I guess just wanted to get some clarity for my own sake and I think it's fair to say, that most here are aligned. Thanks boo's. x

Sack Hinkley.

Jul 17, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

goodluck boo. xx

After KT’s mea culpa letter absolving everyone else of their sins, and subsequent confession it was bs meant to distract fans, the board asking for his resignation would at least be something to show they know change is needed

Here is the big disconnect.

We fans want immediate change.

Reality is it will be gradual because, 1) the nature of the 'game' 2) decisions made by management.

Oct 5, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
There are no other teams
To those who haven't renewed/won't renew, what will get you back on board for 2020?

We all know a large percentage want Ken gone, but it's also fairly clear to see that won't be happening right now; so what could the club do today to get you on board?
  • More accountability?
  • One captain?
I get we all want to get the message across that we aren't happy; but I'm also not sure the solution of cancelling memberships is going to help get us back on track; so keen to hear what people want/expect that the club could actually do as of right now (with the understanding of other major changes at a later date).
Fair question, which I've answered, in part, throughout various threads:
  1. I'd like the club to stop pissing on my leg and telling me it's raining- that's messaging:
    1. If we're playing the youth, play the youth (maybe the Broadbent and Gray list decisions are an indication this will happen, but then Sutcliffe et al)
    2. Stop with the "little club", "tough league", "someone has to lose", "be more like Sydney", "be like Richmond"
  2. Co-Captains- correct that horrible, horrible decision
tl;dr- Correct those two aspects, and I'm much, much closer to being back on board because it indicates the people in charge are prepared to accept they have made mistakes, listened to feedback and "...do not intend to rest in idleness".

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Fair question, which I've answered, in part, throughout various threads:
  1. I'd like the club to stop pissing on my leg and telling me it's raining- that's messaging:
    1. If we're playing the youth, play the youth (maybe the Broadbent and Gray list decisions are an indication this will happen, but then Sutcliffe et al)
    2. Stop with the "little club", "tough league", "someone has to lose", "be more like Sydney", "be like Richmond"
  2. Co-Captains- correct that horrible, horrible decision
tl;dr- Correct those two aspects, and I'm much, much closer to being back on board because it indicates the people in charge are prepared to accept they have made mistakes, listened to feedback and "...do not intend to rest in idleness".

I've made my decision to renew next year no matter what, but this is pretty much a perfect post.

Other messaging:
"We're going to have co-captains to have on-field success" -> no on-field success -> "Co-captains was really successful"
"We absolutely consider finals to be a minimum acceptable performance" -> pick senior guys over youth repeatedly, which fits this -> fail to make finals -> "We have a youth policy and aren't in it for the sugar hit of finals"

Communications from the club for the last 12 month have been entirely manipulative spin based on what they want people to think at the time, rather than just having a culture of honesty... or failing that, privacy.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza

There's one disappearing trick we'd all love for you to perform...

Tread carefully though, or you might be invited to explore your options ;)

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think one of the reasons a lot of Carlton supporters supported Bolts to the very end was you always knew exactly what he stood for and he had a plan that he stuck to. Somewhat similar to Primus.

Accepting your club has difficulties and facing them together brings unity even in a 5 win season.
Lying to your fans, blaming fans and scapegoating players when things go wrong and making decisions to actively disrespect the past and split the fanbase bring dissent, even in a 10-12 win season.

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
TSW, with the greatest of amount of respect, if the club do not know what they need to fix right now to not only appease the supporter base but to get the whole ship back on the right track then we are in very serious and deep trouble
My guess is we are in deep trouble. I suspect membership has crashed and if the Board are looking for answers try looking in the mirror.

We the supporters didn't drop the ball on sponsors.

We didn't extend Ken's contract

We didn't want co-captains

We wanted a strong and proud Port Adelaide but we've ended up being hijacked by AFL apparatchiks riding our history and traditions

into the ground while picking up their fat pay cheques. Now and only now have we been asked for the answers.

The on field product we pay to see has been 5yrs of changing gameplans gold pass selections and way too many

embarrassing efforts and results. Falling into finals in 2017 aint much to hang your hat on. To look at our grinning oaf of a coach

after yet another loss is more than this Koala can bear.

So once again I say "look in the mirror, look at AO 2014 look at our march numbers back then, look at where our crowds are trending

and then compare it to the last 2 home games this year and ask yourselves why.

To quote Bob Dylan "I offered up my innocence and got repaid in scorn"

Your paid more than enough to have the answers and get results so to you Keith Kochie and Ken I ask... why are we in this mess?

If you want my input and my answer......... look in the mirror.

As of right now you may feel the pressure and be uncomfortable but long after you've left the club in ruins I doubt your angst will last.

A fat bank balance will help any work/life balance.

Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
TSW, with the greatest of amount of respect, if the club do not know what they need to fix right now to not only appease the supporter base but to get the whole ship back on the right track then we are in very serious and deep trouble

KT’s very existence and survival at the club is so intristically tied to Hinkley that this is essentially a “tell us everything we can do to make you re-engage with the club, bar sacking the coach...” exercise.

Everyone at Port Adelaide now is all about self preservation.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Can you hypnotise KKK?

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just to be clear guys, no one has hacked into my account

That's exactly what somebody who had hacked your account would say ;)

To sincerely answer your original question, honestly, not much. As I've said earlier in this thread I am renewing, but it's purely for social reasons rather than due to any faith or enthusiasm with the direction of the club, and if those social reasons didn't exist I likely wouldn't be renewing.

There's no window dressing this issue. Membership price freezes and special scarves aren't going to help. Plan A is Sack Hinkley. If Plan A is financially impossible, then marginalise Hinkley and force him to play the kids. And I mean properly play the kids this time, not just play three of them while we waste a combined 70+ games of development on out of form coach's favourites like Westhoff, Ryder, Sam Gray and Broadbent (most of whom are now gone) and guys like Garner, Marshall, Ladhams, Drew etc spend the majority of the year in the SANFL.

The above is the only thing that will get me actively caring about this club's fortunes again. Nothing less is acceptable. The co-captaincy and the messaging are issues too, but fixing that is just window dressing.

Last edited:

• More accountability?
  • One captain?

For the record, I ended up renewing, after getting caught out with the SMS reminder, LATER-gate. I likely would have anyway, as I think like you do that the best position to be in to affect change, is as a member.

However, things that I'd personally like to see from the club are:

1. Honesty and transparency around the failures of the past few years. What went wrong and how we're going to set about making it right. If Ken's the man, tell us why. Stop saying s**t like, "you wouldn't understand, you don't know things and stuff about you know who"

2. Stop fluffing us with false positivity. Port supporters see right through it.

3. Kill the defeatist talk. We're not "the little club from Alba Town" we're "the only club outside Victoria elevated to the National league in it's own right"

4. Establish the critical heritage elements of the club that can ONLY be changed by a vote of paid up members. Prison Bar guernsey. One Captian wearing #1. Port Adelaide name. Black and White as the base of our colour set. etc.

5. Stop trying to turn the club into a Crows-lite, SA Grate, Team #2.0 (for everyone)

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
For the record, I ended up renewing, after getting caught out with the SMS reminder, LATER-gate. I likely would have anyway, as I think like you do that the best position to be in to affect change, is as a member.

However, things that I'd personally like to see from the club are:

1. Honesty and transparency around the failures of the past few years. What went wrong and how we're going to set about making it right. If Ken's the man, tell us why. Stop saying s**t like, "you wouldn't understand, you don't know things and stuff about you know who"

2. Stop fluffing us with false positivity. Port supporters see right through it.

3. Kill the defeatist talk. We're not "the little club from Alba Town" we're "the only club outside Victoria elevated to the National league in it's own right"

4. Establish the critical heritage elements of the club that can ONLY be changed by a vote of paid up members. Prison Bar guernsey. One Captian wearing #1. Port Adelaide name. Black and White as the base of our colour set. etc.

5. Stop trying to turn the club into a Crows-lite, SA Grate, Team #2.0 (for everyone)

Ken isn't the Man. We are stuck with him purely for financial reasons. This is the honest and transparent answer. It isn't one that will be given, because in reality you simply can't give that answer. So honesty and transparency in this instance is not really attainable. The best we can expect is "Look at Hardwick/Richmond".

I remember waterskiing across the oval on the eastern side of the stadium after the 138 point shellacking against Collingwood, Jason Tutts first four kicks for the Bulldogs, lots of bad memories but also remember the changing of the tide game against the Swans in 2013.

Butcher’s home debut: 6 goals from 6 kicks. When a 10-goal loss feels like a victory. Atmosphere back at the club afterward was buzzing.

Now a home win feels like sitting through a Charlton Heston religious movie over Easter in the 80’s.

Back