Opinion 2020 membership renewal

If Ken remains senior coach will you be renewing for 2020?

• Yes

Votes: 77 48.1%
  • No

Votes: 83 51.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

For those people saying they are not going to sign up because of this or that carn the only reason not to sign up is if you can't afford it and that will be the case for alot of people fair enough.
But for me even if Adolf Hitler was ceo Saddam Hussein coach and bin Laden captain I would still sign up as I love the club and people come and go doesn't mean I can't dislike people at the club time to time.
But as everything in life each to there own.

But for me even if Adolf Hitler was ceo Saddam Hussein coach and bin Laden captain I would still sign up as I love the club and people come and go doesn't mean I can't dislike people at the club time to time.
All three would beat Hinkley in a popularity contest on this board atm.

For those people saying they are not going to sign up because of this or that carn the only reason not to sign up is if you can't afford it and that will be the case for alot of people fair enough.
But as everything in life each to there own.

Bin laden would not put up with co captains !

It's good to see all those above signing up over the last few days after the captaincy reversal

Supporters can't / shouldn't 'run' the club but they can give strong indicators, both positive and negative, when good / bad decisions are made

It's a pity that when "strong indicators" are (currently) given by members and supporters, it is considered to be "white noise".. And by the captain no less. A duty of a member of any football club is to keep those in charge, honest and accountable. This is especially true when those in charge of our beloved club have not been elected by the members. A duty of those in charge, and that of the team captain , is not to treat a considerable section of the membership base with contempt.. White noise indeed !!

Yes, it is good to see people renewing with the captaincy issue resolved but it is also understandable for those who have elected not to do so, for whatever reason. Only recently the club notified it was going to respond to the captain decision in February. The announcement was brought forward to this month IMO because membership renewal was significantly down and the decision would (hopefully) help increase numbers. The decision was driven mainly for a financial reason. But whatever the reason, members must be prepared to influence those who have been placed in positions of power within the club otherwise you could have a Chairman who lives interstate redefining Port culture, a CEO whose football history is with our local arch rival club and a senior coach from interstate who sees a light side in losing critical games because well, someone has to lose. We wouldn't want that situation left unchecked.

I didn't renew because of the captain or co captain's always renew before the keep your seat date even if I think I could still get them in March lol

You know, all this ‘white noise’ hysteria is a bit over the top.
I have heard Nathan Buckley use the term too.
As for Jonas, ok so he used that term but perhaps he was meaning that part of their mental health protection is to shut out all the negativity. Perhaps they are taught that way by their psychologist. Geez surely it would do their he@d in otherwise.
Yet people get tied up in a knot about this sort of stuff , take it personally and so very very easily take offence.

Hysteria, no.
Offensive, no.
Inappropriate, yes.
Dismissive, yes.

A certain percentage of that cohort will renew membership and certain percentage won't, whether the comment was made or not. I don't see the comment being a productive one given the current situation within the membership but that just my opinion. A more inclusive comment would have been better especially by a captain just prior to the membership renewal period. I am more offended by the games lost in the first 15 minutes or the scoreless quarters or the capitulation games, all of which, traditionally, are not Port Adelaide style. I won't be considering whether to renew or not based on what Jonas said or didn't say. It doesn't factor in the decision.

All three would beat Hinkley in a popularity contest on this board atm.
The only advantage Hinkley has over that three is that he is still breathing. But then when it comes to making dumb decisions maybe that isn't an advantage. :think:

You know, all this ‘white noise’ hysteria is a bit over the top.
I have heard Nathan Buckley use the term too.
As for Jonas, ok so he used that term but perhaps he was meaning that part of their mental health protection is to shut out all the negativity. Perhaps they are taught that way by their psychologist. Geez surely it would do their he@d in otherwise.
Yet people get tied up in a knot about this sort of stuff , take it personally and so very very easily take offence.
What he does in private to protect his mental health and what he says in public, especially when being paid for his comments on a mainstream media podcast, are completely different things. To publicly say that criticism of his performance by the people who pay to see him perform is just "white noise" is very dismissive of those people. Even if he does ignore it to protect his mental health he could still have said something along the lines of "our supporters are very passionate and I take their feedback on board".

It's the difference between being a professional footballer who's just there to have a good time and collect a fat pay check and a player who is worthy of being the captain of our club.

But in his defence he is just repeating the club mantra, pay up, shut up and see you at the footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you mean the bar/deck thing? I really like that spot. Good way to watch footy.

yeah, I’m getting a base membership 3 game and will float between areas I think. I go solo these days, so I’ll go to the most social section for that game because I’m not expecting the footy to be fun.

Did anyone get their 2020 membership packs yet? i got mine today and was honestly surprised.

Yep but haven’t opened them..obviously not that enthused this year lol.
The envelope says “fragile” which is weird

It's not that fragile.

I was honestly pleasantly surprised with this years pack although i didn't get a pen. :(

I won't spoil the surprise for anyone.

Got my package today. Any other Club 1870 members get their's yet?? I only had the Magpies pass in it, no Power pass, but got all the other stuff.

Last edited:
No pen? NO PEN? :mad:

The downtrodden classes in the French revolutionary days were dubbed the sans-culottes - ie, without the fancy silk knee breeches worn by the aristocracy.

Our own Ancien Régime has thumbed its noses at the membership by depriving us of our pens - we are the sans biro!

Back