Opinion 2020 membership renewal

If Ken remains senior coach will you be renewing for 2020?

• Yes

Votes: 77 48.1%
  • No

Votes: 83 51.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

My wife was on said waiting list, we were offered silver seats the last 2 years and declined. I don't think it's much of a list

Everyone who renews should be given a ticket in the club raffle - that way they might get rid of all the tickets and stop keep ringing me.

Add $1 to each membership for a raffle ticket and be done with it.
Mind you, they would have another raffle soon after because the first one was so successful !!

'Punishing' the club by withdrawing membership support is a dangerous game to play. It may affect positive change but it could also contribute to financial difficulties which could then become a death spiral of cost cutting that sends us to the bottom of the ladder. And as many clubs have found out, once you're on the bottom of the ladder these days, it's very hard to get off the bottom - the draft is more compromised than ever, priority picks basically don't exist anymore, and free agency has given a massive free kick to the top teams.

I did like the idea someone had earlier about creating some type of fund for people to pool their membership money in that then gets paid back to the club once they sack Hinkley. That's a more positive way to affect change.

The amount of people that claim to have stood by the club in 11/12 and gone to every game is staggering.

We must have had crowds every week of 35k not 12k.
According to the club, I've been a member for 18 consecutive seasons, so I can provide evidence that I didn't jump ship in 2011/12. I do remember going to a lot of games during that time, but probably not all of them. At one point it become an exercise of mental endurance to go to games during those days and my motivation to stick with the club was high. But I suppose I stayed home a few times.

I’m prepared to give up our seats in section 138 (eastern wing). The first two years at AO our section was well populated by Port people but over the years since the numbers have certainly dropped off. When we play a good Melb team we seem to have plenty of their supporters amongst us. On our last two games we have even been able to shift our seats to boundary seats - and spread out also.
I’m sure there is no waiting list for section 138.
By the way we have been members since 1997 - been through the good, the bad and the ugly.
We will be looking to go on the Western side of the ground in 2020. A bit more protection from the elements there!

To those who haven't renewed/won't renew, what will get you back on board for 2020?

We all know a large percentage want Ken gone, but it's also fairly clear to see that won't be happening right now; so what could the club do today to get you on board?
  • More accountability?
  • A clearer message across the board?
  • One captain?
I get we all want to get the message across that we aren't happy; but I'm also not sure the solution of cancelling memberships is going to help get us back on track; so keen to hear what people want/expect that the club could actually do as of right now (with the understanding of other major changes at a later date).

Meh I reckon picking a captain is far more important than the coach right now.

There are financial excuses why we could be failing to replace our coach, and there is even a chance he actually comes good with training.

There is absolutely zero excuse for why we would go through our 150th season without a captain like we did in 2019. Zero.

Yes, for me it is not simply a matter of who Coaches us in 2020. The Club has disappointed me in several areas including-

• Re appointing Hinkley as Coach in 2017 before his term had expired.
  • Destroying a 149 year tradition in appointing Co Captains.
  • Destroying a 50 year tradition and allowing those Co Captains to wear the number 16 and 42.
  • Adding 'Make Our Community' Proud to our motto.
  • Members having only a token say in the composition of the PAFC Board.
If I think about it a bit longer I could probably find a few more.

Members who are not going to renew should e mail or text the Club and give them reasons for not continuing. They ****ed up big time and if this poll is an accurate sample there are a lot of supporters who will not not be renewing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To those who haven't renewed/won't renew, what will get you back on board for 2020?

We all know a large percentage want Ken gone, but it's also fairly clear to see that won't be happening right now; so what could the club do today to get you on board?
  • More accountability?
  • One captain?
I get we all want to get the message across that we aren't happy; but I'm also not sure the solution of cancelling memberships is going to help get us back on track; so keen to hear what people want/expect that the club could actually do as of right now (with the understanding of other major changes at a later date).

Back in July KT recognised a disconnect between the Club and its supporters.

Since then we have seen a membership price freeze and a scarf thrown in.

The Club has remained silent on the dual captaincy.

What exactly is the Club proactively doing to fix this disconnect?

Are they waiting on auto renewal numbers before seeing how high they might need to jump?

Silence isn’t helping, even if they just started by giving a timeline on the one/two captains would be a start.

Back in July KT recognised a disconnect between the Club and its supporters.

Since then we have seen a membership price freeze and a scarf thrown in.

The Club has remained silent on the dual captaincy.

What exactly is the Club proactively doing to fix this disconnect?

Are they waiting on auto renewal numbers before seeing how high they might need to jump?

Silence isn’t helping, even if they just started by giving a timeline on the one/two captains would be a start.

You’re probably right re the club waiting... I think that’s exactly what they are doing - they seem quite reactionary.

• More accountability?
  • One captain?
I have renewed without enthusiasm.

I would like to see those 3 plus an opportunity for the members to have more of a say in the mandate the board have (if we cant vote in more members)

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

• More accountability?
  • One captain?

1. Accountability. Don't sweep these 12-15 goal losses under the carpet and pretend they're not symptomatic of a bigger problem. This has been a consistent problem for the last 4 seasons with no-one accepting responsibility.

2. Play a structure and stick to it. This involves the development of key position players, especially forwards.

3. Develop youth without patting yourself on the back for playing three first year players and actually align selection policy with list management. All year we gloated about being a young side but really we were gifting the majority of games to guys that ended up being delisted (Broadbent, Ryder, S. Gray)

Change this stuff in 2020 and I'll be interested again. The co-captaincy I can live with. I see that as a somewhat superficial thing when compared to other issues that have plagued us on-field for several years. Just be professional.

’While ignoring your demand for meaningful change and while retaining all the same senior staff and board members, what empty promises can the club make to get your money’

(with the understanding of other major changes at a later date).
we have no reason to have faith in any meaningful changes happening if our threat is withdrawn - they will have simply bought the 150th year to pat themselves on the back.

Faith in the integrity of the club’s management, and in particular in what its leaders say, has been destroyed.

Proof is in the pudding.

I'll renew and I don't even live in the country. Heck I've never even used my seat and I've had it since the start of Adelaide Oval.

But agree with the below completely.
Port 'supporters' who pulled out when we were at AAMI Stadium running off of the smell of an oily rag are cowards. The club was genuinely doing all it could to succeed at the time, the problem was in the situation that we were in 'all it could do to succeed' wasn't very much.

Port supporters who pull out now, I completely understand. The outside excuses that existed for our struggles in 2011-2012 no longer exist. Our current malaise is entirely self-inflicted.

I liken it to parenting, in a way. If you've got a kid who's a bit slow, is trying their best but is really struggling to get by, of course you continue to support that kid. That's what the club was in 2011. Now the club is a talented but lazy teenager which could be doing great things but which is choosing to sit on the couch getting stoned and eating potato chips instead, and then coming to us as the parents/members and asking for more money to buy weed.

The club right now needs tough love. At some point 'supporting' becomes more like 'enabling'. It needs to be made clear to them that the current path we're going down is unacceptable, and given our lack of ability to spill the board there's no other way for a Port member to vote other than with their wallet.
I think a lot of people are at the point where they'd like to renew, but they don't know if they should, for the good of the club. Matt Richardson's comments give me cause for optimism, granted we've had that before. So I understand the decision for those who opt out, but it won't be me this year.

• More accountability?
  • One captain?

HAz Some1 uR AcC&unt?

I'm sitting on the fence. While I don't want to contribute to what I see as the cause of our woes, I don't want to jeopardise the club in the long term. So the idea of banking the money for future seasons is starting to resonate with me.

Personally IMHO, I've emotionally checked out. From my perspective, board, coaching panel and many players have taken a dump on what the club means to me, don't have the humility to apologise, acknowledge any errors and are full of excuses for sub par representation of the club.

Rather than seeing it as a privilege and honour to be part of something bigger, feels to me they're just clocking on and doing the bare minimum to keep the status quo of their employment status. Albeit at our club or we'll do our best to get you a job somewhere else.

Mrs and kids still want in, but to them it's just AFL, they don't appreciate the representation of what the club means to me on a national stage.

I think back to 2015 preseason where they trained in royal facilities, that, the fireworks pre game, Farriss brothers etc. Never sat well with me. Too much razzamatazz.

We've been working class for 150 years and it's humility, work rate and ultimately sacrificing self for the collective that I want to see front and centre.

None of this, "mate, you might not get opportunities so you're better off looking elsewhere" crap.

I'd rather hear, "mate, there's competition coming through for your spot, so you better make sure you train your ass off in the preseason so these guys don't take your spot, and if they do, you better set the bar high enough that they deserve it"

No deck chairs in preseason, want the whole club roughing it and busting ass to find that hunger again. No more excuses and no more lip service.

Also don't need someone who is meant to be a club leader telling me just to sign up and support the boys. Been supporting the club before you were born and will be there long after you go. If you want our support then try proving you're worth it.

• More accountability?
  • One captain?

Are you okay mate? Have you been sent off for some ambassador re-education? Blink twice for yes.

Back