Opinion 2020 membership renewal

If Ken remains senior coach will you be renewing for 2020?

• Yes

Votes: 77 48.1%
  • No

Votes: 83 51.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

May 3, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Butcher’s home debut: 6 goals from 6 kicks. When a 10-goal loss feels like a victory. Atmosphere back at the club afterward was buzzing.

Now a home win feels like sitting through a Charlton Heston religious movie over Easter in the 80’s.
How I now feel walking to home games...
1573021989026.png

Chachi

Premiership Player
Jan 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Fu** No
For the record, I ended up renewing, after getting caught out with the SMS reminder, LATER-gate. I likely would have anyway, as I think like you do that the best position to be in to affect change, is as a member.

However, things that I'd personally like to see from the club are:

1. Honesty and transparency around the failures of the past few years. What went wrong and how we're going to set about making it right. If Ken's the man, tell us why. Stop saying s**t like, "you wouldn't understand, you don't know things and stuff about you know who"

2. Stop fluffing us with false positivity. Port supporters see right through it.

3. Kill the defeatist talk. We're not "the little club from Alba Town" we're "the only club outside Victoria elevated to the National league in it's own right"

4. Establish the critical heritage elements of the club that can ONLY be changed by a vote of paid up members. Prison Bar guernsey. One Captian wearing #1. Port Adelaide name. Black and White as the base of our colour set. etc.

5. Stop trying to turn the club into a Crows-lite, SA Grate, Team #2.0 (for everyone)
I changed seats but it was around the time of the Howard trade. I was pissed and wanted a straight answer. A call back was made by the club and to their credit gave me what I thought was a honest response.

Responding to your points;

1. They didn't say anything like that to me, I'm assuming your not referring to any media piece and that it was a response you personally received.

2. In fairness to the club, every club is selling hope in the off-season, particularly given the 150th celebrations I'd be disappointed if they weren't trying something. The hard part is there are so many disgruntled supporters who probably aren't even interested what the club is selling.

3. I think your bang on there. Need to 'push the chest out' more as club.

4. Haven't heard that idea before, reckon it's a good one.

5. I think we've steered away from that in KT's time, of course it's a matter of opinion. We've tried things that haven't worked but I think we're clear about our identity.

I haven't met another supporter who is completely happy with how things are right now, I'm also one of them but I try to be objective when I read opinions on here or in the media. Thing is I'm addicted to Port and can't see myself not attending games.

Hopefully we pick up some exciting kids which gives us all a boost.

3. Kill the defeatist talk. We're not "the little club from Alba Town" we're "the only club outside Victoria elevated to the National league in it's own right"

The pivot from ‘beware the sleeping giant’, embracing our legends, flags and regional hegemon status to selling ourselves as North Melbscray has been bizarre.

Keith Thomas appealing to lapsed members last year with prose such as “this club and that club are much bigger” and “we’ve always punched above our weight” is incredible.

We’re a 150 year old flagship of the sport, and the current goons are selling us as a destitute but cheerful gentleman whistling on his way to the local mall to beg for coins.

1. They didn't say anything like that to me, I'm assuming your not referring to any media piece and that it was a response you personally received.

That was meant more a sarcastic amalgam of various commentary we've heard from the club via media reports, not a literal statement.

4. Haven't heard that idea before, reckon it's a good one.

chiwigi's idea and it's a good one. If it was in place prior to this year, it would have stopped the co-captain debacle dead in its tracks, OR given the football dept the permission to do so without the flack.

It doesn't mean that things can't change, it just means that you need to acknowledge the supporters role in the club's identity is as important, probably more, than a transient staff member/coach/player/etc. Get their buy in and you are good to go. Ignore them at your peril, as the club is finding out.

5. I think we've steered away from that in KT's time, of course it's a matter of opinion. We've tried things that haven't worked but I think we're clear about our identity.

It appears that way on the surface. New logo with bars, no more fist, no more lightening bolt, less and less teal, etc. However the behaviours, which are far more important to building and strengthening an identity, seem to be heading the other way. (ie We look more like Port but we act less like Port) That's the sense I'm getting.

Chachi

Premiership Player
Jan 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Fu** No
The club needs to grow a pair and come out and say that co-captaincy is ******* off for good. Who gives a s**t if it hurts Hinkley's feelings
The co-captaincy is crap, I ******* hate it, but It’s not Hinkley who’ll be upset the most.

It’s easy to say ‘too bad’ if we upset Tom or Ollie but it would be a public humiliation to be canned after a year.
Apart from that player dropping their head and possibly walking out, It could easily cause a flow on effect in the playing group.

I fear we would make a bad situation far worse but it’s the clubs fault for being in this situation to begin with.

NoddyHolder

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2014
Tralfamadore
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The co-captaincy is crap, I ******* hate it, but It’s not Hinkley who’ll be upset the most.

It’s easy to say ‘too bad’ if we upset Tom or Ollie but it would be a public humiliation to be canned after a year.
Apart from that player dropping their head and possibly walking out, It could easily cause a flow on effect in the playing group.
If it causes anyone to drop their head and walk out then they're a no-hoper and we're better off without them

Chachi

Premiership Player
Jan 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Fu** No
If it causes anyone to drop their head and walk out then they're a no-hoper and we're better off without them
It's easy to say that but put yourself in that situation. It will be splashed all over the media. It would be a massive smack in the face for a problem that you didn't create.
If they were a 'no-hoper' then they wouldn't have been given the job.
Unless one of them graciously steps down, I can't see how this gets resolved with creating more issues. It was very poor decision making by the club and neither Ollie or Tom deserves to pay the price for the clubs mistake.

Chachi

Premiership Player
Jan 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Fu** No
The only thing that should go through a current player's head about the captaincy is what will bring success to the football club. Anybody who thinks about anything else should be nowhere near any leadership position at the club, period.
That's terrific in theory but in reality it's seldom the only reason. Is there anything wrong with a player wanting to do it for the club and themselves? If they're the best man for the job, the answer is no.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The pivot from ‘beware the sleeping giant’, embracing our legends, flags and regional hegemon status to selling ourselves as North Melbscray has been bizarre.

Keith Thomas appealing to lapsed members last year with prose such as “this club and that club are much bigger” and “we’ve always punched above our weight” is incredible.

We’re a 150 year old flagship of the sport, and the current goons are selling us as a destitute but cheerful gentleman whistling on his way to the local mall to beg for coins.

Yep, no need for the media, or supporters of other clubs to denigrate us whilst we have a brain dead president who is happy to do their job for them on national tv!

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's easy to say that but put yourself in that situation. It will be splashed all over the media. It would be a massive smack in the face for a problem that you didn't create.
Unless one of them graciously steps down, I can't see how this gets resolved with creating more issues. It was very poor decision making by the club and neither Ollie or Tom deserves to pay the price for the clubs mistake.

FMD. These guys are professional footballers, grown men, earning large amounts of money. If the club makes the right decision to appoint 1 captain - that's it. Suck it up. No ******* moping. Geez what a ******* bunch of little bitches society has become.

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Like everything else in the afl, the decision is made, told to the players, then the players get to go out and "graciously step down because they have decided.... Etc"

Just like Pyke chose to step down, Boak chose to give up the captaincy, Fantasia chose to stay at the dons, etc etc etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Wines would have still ****ed his shoulder in a pre season waterskiing mishap and ruined his season had he been named sole captain.
Jonas would still be behaving like an arrogant bell end and spitting out his media faux pas on a weekly basis if he was sole captain.
That stuff is on them, and just highlights the massive void in leadership left behind after Travis Boak’s abdication.

Didn’t create?

No one forced Jonas to be a fan-hating supercilious campaigner, constantly oozing contempt for anyone who’s not his mate.

No one forced Ollie to go missing from the public eye with regularity. No one forced him to be having sly words with other clubs. No one forced him to say he’ll keep on offseason wakeboarding.

We want them both gone because of what theyve shown us. They’re not innocent bystanders here

If either of them had the humility and professionalism of a Robbie Gray we’d all be saying they should be sole captain. This is not the case.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
To those who haven't renewed/won't renew, what will get you back on board for 2020?

We all know a large percentage want Ken gone, but it's also fairly clear to see that won't be happening right now; so what could the club do today to get you on board?
  • More accountability?
  • A clearer message across the board?
  • One captain?
I get we all want to get the message across that we aren't happy; but I'm also not sure the solution of cancelling memberships is going to help get us back on track; so keen to hear what people want/expect that the club could actually do as of right now (with the understanding of other major changes at a later date).
I have renewed, and so's my wife, but that doesn't mean I'm happy with how the club is being run and the way the membership is being treated with disdain.

I can understand those choosing not to renew to try and get the club to listen as to date all we have had from the club is lip service. The recent efforts to polish the turd that is co-captains shows that the club is clearly not listening to the members.

I've been a Ports'supporter for over half a century, the third generation of Ports supporters in my family, and a member at various levels since the 1980's and I'll be fecked if I'm going to let the current bunch of bozos running the club drive me away.

My hope is that those trying to turn us into Southern Power will lose interest and move on before the transformation to a soulless AFL franchise is irreversible and we'll be able to get our once great club back.

Co-captaincy may have initially been the club's mistake, but neither Ollie or Tom have done anything since to indicate that they deserved the appointment. Quite the opposite, if anything.

I hope we have one captain next year, and I hope that our one captain isn't Ollie Wines or Tom Jonas.

Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The lack of a viable replacement for Boak is on the coaches too. With Trav doing an admirable job during those years Hinkley got out the deck chair and failed to even bother grooming a replacement. Early on Wines certainly looked to have the goods, but he just went backwards on all facets.
Another strike against Hinkley’s name.

Yeah, I'd still be partially ok with Jonas as sole captain, but Wines should not be in any sort of leadership role at this club again.

Butcher’s home debut: 6 goals from 6 kicks. When a 10-goal loss feels like a victory. Atmosphere back at the club afterward was buzzing.

Now a home win feels like sitting through a Charlton Heston religious movie over Easter in the 80’s.
Still remember the players getting applauded off after that game, not 1 person hurled abuse.

I fear we would make a bad situation far worse but it’s the clubs fault for being in this situation to begin with.

Which means the club really didn't think too far ahead with this decision.
Forget risk analysis, I don't think they even did a simple pro/con list.

Part of me does think that while we're 'treading water', perhaps stick with it for 2020 and change back once the crud gets washed away. The damage is done, may as well make the most of it, yadda, yadda, yadda...

Then again. It's our 150th celebration. Why on earth did we decide to remove the #1 Captain thing now. What a balls up.

Last edited:

GoPorts

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
FMD. These guys are professional footballers, grown men, earning large amounts of money. If the club makes the right decision to appoint 1 captain - that's it. Suck it up. No ******* moping. Geez what a ******* bunch of little bitches society has become.
That's exactly what a boomer would say

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

bringbackbucky

Premiership Player
Dec 24, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Yeah, I'd still be partially ok with Jonas as sole captain, but Wines should not be in any sort of leadership role at this club again.
Not that I disagree, but I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on why Wines is an unsuitable candidate. Because he shopped himself around?

I think I'm so anti-Jonas that I've been partially blind to Ollie's faults...

Back