Opinion 2020 membership renewal

If Ken remains senior coach will you be renewing for 2020?

• Yes

Votes: 77 48.1%
  • No

Votes: 83 51.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Still remember the players getting applauded off after that game, not 1 person hurled abuse.

It was such a bizarre one in the context of the previous weeks’ annihilation (fresh off 138/165 in the preceding fortnight), wasn’t it.

From looking like another record defeat at quarter time (1 goal to 10), to actually winning the second half (11.6 to 9.4) on top of Butcher’s performance.

Finally some resolve and hope, a genuine flicker, for what was rapidly feeling like a division-two outfit.

Should’ve won the following week as $12 underdogs too, before copping the robbery of robberies.

Which means the club really didn't think too far ahead with this decision.
Forget risk analysis, I don't think they even did a simple pro/con list. ....
The half-captains decision was made by Hinkley so he could save face when the players didn't want his choice of captain. Of course there was no risk analysis, pro/con list or impact analysis.

Hinkley then sold it to KT as increasing our chances of winning games based on no empirical evidence whatsoever.

The pivot from ‘beware the sleeping giant’, embracing our legends, flags and regional hegemon status to selling ourselves as North Melbscray has been bizarre.

Keith Thomas appealing to lapsed members last year with prose such as “this club and that club are much bigger” and “we’ve always punched above our weight” is incredible.

We’re a 150 year old flagship of the sport, and the current goons are selling us as a destitute but cheerful gentleman whistling on his way to the local mall to beg for coins.

And it's permeated its way right through the club from CEO to player to kitchen staff.

I listened to Richo last night on Rick's podcast and although he sounds like he's on the ball and worthy of his role, when asked about sponsorship, he reverted to the "we're a small club from a small market". He caught himself with "we don't see ourselves that way, but we are".

On face value he seems to be doing what he can and has obviously listened to us on this point, but until the language changes, I can't see real change coming. If we call ourselves the most successful football club in the land, we'll act like it. If they fail with the right mindset, we'll stand up and defend them.

It’s just always rinse and repeat with this club at the moment.

club representative: “What can we do to improve things?”

members/supporters provide honest feedback and answers

club does nothing members get more frustrated

few weeks later

club representative: “what can we do to improve things everybody?”

Start active listening and actually do something.

Stop letting the less professional staff of the club talk to the media (someone needs to stuff a commemorative scarf in basset and Jonas mouth asap)

Dont filter and slowly ease us into the co captaincy will be retained decision. Come out and wear it.

We will respect you more if you be upfront and honest with us.

It was such a bizarre one in the context of the previous weeks’ annihilation (fresh off 138/165 in the preceding fortnight), wasn’t it.

From looking like another record defeat at quarter time (1 goal to 10), to actually winning the second half (11.6 to 9.4) on top of Butcher’s performance.

Finally some resolve and hope, a genuine flicker, for what was rapidly feeling like a division-two outfit.

Should’ve won the following week as $12 underdogs too, before copping the robbery of robberies.

A very strange set of results culminating to the return to Adelaide Oval (I must add a laughed out loud seeing Mitch Banners name)

1573087295508.png

Our very poor skills and the stagnation of our player development was brought up strongly at the meeting with Matthew Richardson and KT. Could the appointment of Geoff Morris be a response to it or am I being too hopeful and positive?

On SM-A530F using BigFooty.com mobile app

You'd think that would of been playing out for quite a while..

Co-captaincy may have initially been the club's mistake, but neither Ollie or Tom have done anything since to indicate that they deserved the appointment. Quite the opposite, if anything.

I hope we have one captain next year, and I hope that our one captain isn't Ollie Wines or Tom Jonas.
Most balanced response to my post and agree totally.
Can’t see the club dropping both of them but Ollie in particular did some things that were disappointing.

It's easy to say that but put yourself in that situation. It will be splashed all over the media. It would be a massive smack in the face for a problem that you didn't create.
If they were a 'no-hoper' then they wouldn't have been given the job.
Unless one of them graciously steps down, I can't see how this gets resolved with creating more issues. It was very poor decision making by the club and neither Ollie or Tom deserves to pay the price for the clubs mistake.

You spelt shouldn't wrong.

Not that I disagree, but I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on why Wines is an unsuitable candidate. Because he shopped himself around?

I think I'm so anti-Jonas that I've been partially blind to Ollie's faults...

The shopping around was the final straw. However, I just dont think hes a good leader

That Essendon game still makes me mad

That Essendon game still makes me mad

Ryder with the most blatant two-handed shove in Lobbe’s back, completely one-out and gratuitously visible to begin the avalanche, turning around to check it was play-on a couple of times in sheepish disbelief. Would’ve been in the back in any era.

It’s like, of all the times to absolutely sink the boot into a struggling concern by gleefully acting as fluffers for a frothing Essendon @ Dome crowd, that probably wasn’t it, umpiring fraternity.

A very strange set of results culminating to the return to Adelaide Oval (I must add a laughed out loud seeing Mitch Banners name)

View attachment 775733
I was definitely at the Collingwood and Melbourne games (the game at AO the absolute highlight of that period). But I don't recall the game vs the dogs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was definitely at the Collingwood and Melbourne games (the game at AO the absolute highlight of that period). But I don't recall the game vs the dogs.
Weird, I'm the same. The Pies game was a wet day, which made the margin even worse. I remember being so furious that we didn't even resort to that old chestnut of trying to rough up the opposition. It was so meek (thanks Matty). That Melbourne game was such a brilliant atmosphere. AO all ours before Adelaide rode on our coattails there, instead of being left at Footy Park alone, as they should have been.

That Melbourne game was such a brilliant atmosphere. AO all ours before Adelaide rode on our coattails there, instead of being left at Footy Park alone, as they should have been.

The narrative that sprung up that Trigg was driving the bus with Haysman along for the ride 😂

Weird, I'm the same. The Pies game was a wet day, which made the margin even worse. I remember being so furious that we didn't even resort to that old chestnut of trying to rough up the opposition. It was so meek (thanks Matty). That Melbourne game was such a brilliant atmosphere. AO all ours before Adelaide rode on our coattails there, instead of being left at Footy Park alone, as they should have been.

I remember the Collingwood game. It's burnt into my psyche like a bad dream.

Walking around that Northern end, where the construction was. It was like some war ravaged Eastern European ghetto. I half expected to see desperate men warming their hands over fires in 24 gallon drums being kept in line by armed Stazi. It was a surreal night.

Anyone who at that point thought that "Footy Park 4 Eva!" was the best way forward was an imbecile.

Anyone who at that point thought that "Footy Park 4 Eva!" was the best way forward was an imbecile.
Disregarding how dated it was as a stadium, I first really started realising it wasn't suitable in 1998. My only away game in 1997 was to Waverly, so it was suburban to suburban, but got to my first MCG in 1998. It wasn't the ground itself, but the fact it was in the city and there was so much to do before and after, that it was obvious for the (then soon to be) 21st century a suburban ground home ground wouldn't cut it anymore. Living in Melbourne 2001-2007 it was so good going to games at the MCG and Docklands. The home games I got back to and having to drudge out to the swamp to view was such a time travel to the 1970's experience in comparison. On coming back to SA there were two things about the 70's mentality I really hated. Restricted shopping hours (thanks for still living in the 70's there ALP) and not having a city Stadium for AFL.

I swear if anyone did a survey of fans who went to games at Footy Park (hooked up to an fMRI for Crows fans who retrospectively supported AO from the get go), that the percentage who wanted to stay there versus move to AO would be at least 75% lower for those who'd been to an away game elsewhere. You'd had to have been a particularly mentally challenged person to have experienced the other side of the city/suburban divide and still have wanted to remain at that shithole.

Ryder with the most blatant two-handed shove in Lobbe’s back, completely one-out and gratuitously visible to begin the avalanche, turning around to check it was play-on a couple of times in sheepish disbelief. Would’ve been in the back in any era.

It’s like, of all the times to absolutely sink the boot into a struggling concern by gleefully acting as fluffers for a frothing Essendon @ Dome crowd, that probably wasn’t it, umpiring fraternity.

tribes still pissed off he lost his bet.

Family lunch yesterday.

Sister and Husband (Husband basically wears Port merch 24/7) memberships cancelled.

Other sister, not that fanatical goes with her mate. Memberships cancelled.

Both of these decisions were independent of my ranting or the bigfooty echo chamber.

Our membership going to take a pounding this year. Absolute pounding. All deserved.

Family lunch yesterday.

Sister and Husband (Husband basically wears Port merch 24/7) memberships cancelled.

Other sister, not that fanatical goes with her mate. Memberships cancelled.

Both of these decisions were independent of my ranting or the bigfooty echo chamber.

Our membership going to take a pounding this year. Absolute pounding. All deserved.
Nobody wants to see Hinkley coached football. Nobody

Person is surprised when family members have exactly the same attitude as them.

Like attracts like. People like to delude they are independent thinkers but the reality is most people are a product of their upbringing and experiences. As I’ve said elsewhere...you become like the five people you spend the most time with. So it would be more shocking to me if your family did renew.

Person is surprised when family members have exactly the same attitude as them.

Like attracts like. People like to delude they are independent thinkers but the reality is most people are a product of their upbringing and experiences. As I’ve said elsewhere...you become like the five people you spend the most time with. So it would be more shocking to me if your family did renew.
I spend 90% of my time outside of work with my wife that doesn't give a s**t about football. And yet I've been a member for 19 seasons... it's almost as you are full of s**t. :think:

Back