2020 membership thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Im the same. I cant quite work out if im suposeed to do something or do nothing as the payments still come out either way.
There doesnt seem to be an option to say im happy to keep paying (or pledge the memberships)

I think we just do nothing if it’s set to auto. I hit the link and all it wanted me to do was post some social media support to fly the flag.

What form would the free upgrade take? For example, I'm a GA, reserved seat holder + social club member, so I don't know where they would go with that.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I stupidly deleted the members only email from my inbox today. Could someone copy and paste it for me. PM me if it suits.

To our loyal Bulldogs members,

Last week I wrote to you following the AFL’s return to play announcement to thank you for your ongoing support of the football Club and to advise that we would soon outline your membership options for the 2020 season.

We remain incredibly humbled and grateful to so many of you who have reached out to confirm your commitment as a Bulldogs member as we prepare to resume our season without you there in the stands with us.

By now you’ve heard so much about the challenges facing the AFL industry as we seek to fight our way through. There’s no doubting the future of football will be different, and our businesses will be different as we continue to adapt to the changing financial landscape. But our Club is in good shape and we’re standing on our own two feet after working hard to put ourselves in a position to chart our own destiny.

We continue to maintain a bold plan and vision for the future that we’re determined to see through – but the reality is we need your help if we are to succeed. We’ve all got a role to play as we seek to overcome the challenges in front of us, and your role as a member is just as important now as it was for those who fought for the Club’s survival in 1989 and during other troubled times through our history.

Pledge Your Support
Today we are asking you to pledge your 2020 membership to the Club so that we can continue to carry forward the positive momentum we have all worked hard to establish. This includes retaining good people in jobs, completing our exit from the gaming industry and realising a future redevelopment of VU Whitten Oval in the heart of Melbourne’s west.

Access members in a position to pledge their 2020 membership to the Club will be entitled to:
a Membership price freeze for 2021

Free 2021 membership upgrade with further details included in your 2021 renewals

a Commemorative member recognition fulfilment item in 2021

Exclusive member content as AFL games resume

No further action is required for members wishing to pledge their support, however we encourage you to share your passion and loyalty on social media by clicking on the button below to create your own personalised ‘Bred Bulldog’ photo frame or profile picture.
Show Your Support

Make A Donation
We have been overwhelmed by offers of additional financial support from a number of our members so have now made it easier to capture this amazing support. Members wishing to make an additional contribution can also do so by making a donation directly to the Club through the link below. Part of the funds raised will be used to Pay It Forward to other members facing financial hardship by covering the cost of their membership. Every dollar counts and we’re grateful for your support.
Make A Donation
Membership Refund Options
We appreciate and acknowledge that these are difficult times and not everyone can afford to make a choice about their Bulldogs membership they might otherwise like to. Irrespective, we remain grateful to every 2020 member for making the decision to support the Club this year.

For members who need to make other arrangements and would like to request a full or partial refund we ask that you please complete the request form below so that we can discuss your refund options directly with you.
Complete Form
Membership Services Operations
Please note that due to a reduction in staff and operating hours across the Club during these financially challenging times, we kindly ask for your patience and understanding as we respond to your enquiry.

If you completed the membership refund request form, we will communicate with you over the coming days when you should expect to receive a call from our Membership Services Team.

Our call centre will continue to be operational Tuesday-Thursday from 10am-4pm, while you can also leave a voicemail outside these hours noting a likely delay in our standard response times.

Should you need to contact the Club please call (03) 8899-7414 or email membership@westernbulldogs.com.au

Late last week we spoke about what it means to be ‘Bred Bulldog’ and to be connected to something much bigger through our shared love and passion for our football club. Every now and again circumstances shine a light on that unique Bulldog quality – to soldier on in adversity and to stand up when it counts.

We know this is one of these moments, and one that will help shape our path forward.

Continue to stay safe and take care.

Ameet Bains
Chief Executive Officer
Western Bulldogs

edit: oh well someone else might want to see it

To our loyal Bulldogs members,

Last week I wrote to you following the AFL’s return to play announcement to thank you for your ongoing support of the football Club and to advise that we would soon outline your membership options for the 2020 season.

We remain incredibly humbled and grateful to so many of you who have reached out to confirm your commitment as a Bulldogs member as we prepare to resume our season without you there in the stands with us.

By now you’ve heard so much about the challenges facing the AFL industry as we seek to fight our way through. There’s no doubting the future of football will be different, and our businesses will be different as we continue to adapt to the changing financial landscape. But our Club is in good shape and we’re standing on our own two feet after working hard to put ourselves in a position to chart our own destiny.

We continue to maintain a bold plan and vision for the future that we’re determined to see through – but the reality is we need your help if we are to succeed. We’ve all got a role to play as we seek to overcome the challenges in front of us, and your role as a member is just as important now as it was for those who fought for the Club’s survival in 1989 and during other troubled times through our history.

Pledge Your Support
Today we are asking you to pledge your 2020 membership to the Club so that we can continue to carry forward the positive momentum we have all worked hard to establish. This includes retaining good people in jobs, completing our exit from the gaming industry and realising a future redevelopment of VU Whitten Oval in the heart of Melbourne’s west.

Access members in a position to pledge their 2020 membership to the Club will be entitled to:
a Membership price freeze for 2021

Free 2021 membership upgrade with further details included in your 2021 renewals

a Commemorative member recognition fulfilment item in 2021

Exclusive member content as AFL games resume

No further action is required for members wishing to pledge their support, however we encourage you to share your passion and loyalty on social media by clicking on the button below to create your own personalised ‘Bred Bulldog’ photo frame or profile picture.
Show Your Support

Make A Donation
We have been overwhelmed by offers of additional financial support from a number of our members so have now made it easier to capture this amazing support. Members wishing to make an additional contribution can also do so by making a donation directly to the Club through the link below. Part of the funds raised will be used to Pay It Forward to other members facing financial hardship by covering the cost of their membership. Every dollar counts and we’re grateful for your support.
Make A Donation
Membership Refund Options
We appreciate and acknowledge that these are difficult times and not everyone can afford to make a choice about their Bulldogs membership they might otherwise like to. Irrespective, we remain grateful to every 2020 member for making the decision to support the Club this year.

For members who need to make other arrangements and would like to request a full or partial refund we ask that you please complete the request form below so that we can discuss your refund options directly with you.
Complete Form
Membership Services Operations
Please note that due to a reduction in staff and operating hours across the Club during these financially challenging times, we kindly ask for your patience and understanding as we respond to your enquiry.

If you completed the membership refund request form, we will communicate with you over the coming days when you should expect to receive a call from our Membership Services Team.

Our call centre will continue to be operational Tuesday-Thursday from 10am-4pm, while you can also leave a voicemail outside these hours noting a likely delay in our standard response times.

Should you need to contact the Club please call (03) 8899-7414 or email membership@westernbulldogs.com.au

Late last week we spoke about what it means to be ‘Bred Bulldog’ and to be connected to something much bigger through our shared love and passion for our football club. Every now and again circumstances shine a light on that unique Bulldog quality – to soldier on in adversity and to stand up when it counts.

We know this is one of these moments, and one that will help shape our path forward.

Continue to stay safe and take care.

Ameet Bains
Chief Executive Officer
Western Bulldogs

edit: oh well someone else might want to see it
Thanks brother.

Ive missed two payments for my committed bulldogs package... Oooopps.

I hope it doesnt affect my membership! I should have the membership number on speed dial.

We're pledging.

Suggestion for club on their "a Commemorative member recognition fulfillment item in 2021"

View attachment 878657
Great idea with the logo but the design and engineering needs a bit of work. I doubt that one would keep the wedding tackle in place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wont be asking for a refund and will pledge mine. I think the clubs response and giving those who might be struggling the option for a refund is first class.

Responded in the survey that I would donate my membership with nothing in return but the free upgrade is a nice touch.
Believe the working group set up at the start of the Covid stuff to discuss memberships means all clubs are taking the same approach. Asking members to pledge membership and discussing options with people are experiencing hardship.

Im the same. I cant quite work out if im suposeed to do something or do nothing as the payments still come out either way.
There doesnt seem to be an option to say im happy to keep paying (or pledge the memberships)
It says if you are pledging your membership, you don't need to do anything further. So just leave it as is if you are pledging and monthly payments will continue with the next scheduled for May 28.

I just had a look at the main board and what we're offering to members seems to be very out of touch with what other clubs are. It seems most are offering a combination of options including a) fully pledging your membership (with some outlined benefits coming back to the member for 2021 such as a $50 shop voucher, guest passes etc), keeping your membership and receiving a set percentage back (20-25% seems to be the norm), or cancelling and paying an admin fee. Other clubs are also stating memberships are tax deductible, which is nothing to sneeze at for the amount some of us pay.

While I am personally in a position to keep paying their are many who are not. It's a bit weird seeing our club so out of step with what those less well off are being offered, with it seeming like other clubs have put in a lot of effort to cater for different people.

I just had a look at the main board and what we're offering to members seems to be very out of touch with what other clubs are. It seems most are offering a combination of options including a) fully pledging your membership (with some outlined benefits coming back to the member for 2021 such as a $50 shop voucher, guest passes etc), keeping your membership and receiving a set percentage back (20-25% seems to be the norm), or cancelling and paying an admin fee. Other clubs are also stating memberships are tax deductible, which is nothing to sneeze at for the amount some of us pay.

While I am personally in a position to keep paying their are many who are not. It's a bit weird seeing our club so out of step with what those less well off are being offered, with it seeming like other clubs have put in a lot of effort to cater for different people.
How can a membership - or even a donation to a footy club - be tax deductible?

How can a membership - or even a donation to a footy club - be tax deductible?
It wouldn't be a membership, it would be classified as a donation, therefore you don't get anything in way or merch or access to games. I read Essendon in particular were looking at this option but hadn't seen it officially ticked off.

Given there was multiple working groups set up when all this went pear-shaped and memberships was one particular focus, I'm surprised the group didn't come up with a few recommendations and the AFL didn't just make it uniform across all clubs to ensure consistency, but I guess its hard when different clubs charge different prices for comparable memberships.

I may be incorrect but I thought I saw in one of the donation options where a portion was donated (and tax deductible) that it would be made by the club to a registered sports charity, so you would be giving the money to them through the club. I can't recall who this was, something like the Australian Sports Association?

If you pledge your membership you are just forfeiting any benefits this year. Not a donation and not tax deductible. It seems to be poorly worded by many clubs and going to cause a lot of issues for people when they lodge their tax and make a claim. I would bet the ATO are on the lookout for it and will pick out every one for further review.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back