2020 Midpricers

Remove this Banner Ad

I run with 6-8 mid-pricers most years. This year is no different, there is plenty of value around if you're looking for it. Not saying the list below are all Rd1 options, but certainly worth considering if their pre-season and or early season form warrant it.

*Currently in my side
*Watchlist

N Naitanui (457k)
R Gray
Angus Brayshaw
H Andrews
T English
C Mills
S Petrevski-Seton
K Simpson
S Menegola
P Lipinski
S Docherty
J Westhoff
S Stack
J Howe
H Clark
C Rozee
D Hannebery
Bailey Smith
C Wingard
C Blakely
W Milera
A Witherden
Tom Lynch (Rich)

T McDonald
J Simpkin
Andrew Brayshaw
J Riewoldt

O Florent
J Steven
J Webster
LDU
P Ahern
Devon Smith
JJ Kennedy
Z Fisher
W Setterfield
J Hogan
G Birchall
T Doedee
D Roberton

B Sier (242k)

Ahhh just what I was waiting for, the answer to the question of how many midpricers Andrew Birch was running.

Short had a poor year last year after that elbow incident. 2018 was fairly decent. Coming into his fifth year now, can see a slight uptick or at least getting back to 2018 numbers. Quite underpriced.

Also liking Ahern in that back role he played towards the end of the year.

I'll likely take 1 of them

It might just be a perception but Short doesn't seem to score as well with Houli in the team.

Short had a poor year last year after that elbow incident. 2018 was fairly decent. Coming into his fifth year now, can see a slight uptick or at least getting back to 2018 numbers. Quite underpriced.

Not worth picking Short until Houli's hung up the boots imo.
Check the difference in his '18 scores when Houli is playing vs when he isn't.

Not worth picking Short until Houli's hung up the boots imo.
Check the difference in his '18 scores when Houli is playing vs when he isn't.

Any chance Short takes Brandon Ellis' role?

Not sure it's a coincidence that Short's best ever year in 2018 was Ellis' worst, and then last year Ellis bounced back while Short struggled.

Any chance Short takes Brandon Ellis' role?

Not sure it's a coincidence that Short's best ever year in 2018 was Ellis' worst, and then last year Ellis bounced back while Short struggled.

No clue, but at a guess I reckon Stack would take that spot before him. McIntosh would be ahead of him for the wing spot too. Maybe even Naish.

Short is a pretty ordinary defender, the rest of the backline work overtime to free him and and utilise his long kicking, don't think that would work out on the wing where he'd be solely responsible for his direct opponent.

Andrew Brayshaw?
Don't really get it for him this year
In games he got 20+ possessions last year he scored: 52, 66, 68, 74, 75, 95, 116

Not super inspiring.
I thought this year was his 4th year, but no, it's only his 3rd. Might be a year too early for him, but i'm keeping a close eye on him. if he does well in the preseason games then he might find himself in my team.

Would have initially thought Stevens to be a shoe-in, but have read he may be playing forward rather than mid. One to watch in the preseason I suppose.

Stephen Hill is currently sitting in my initial squad. For the price he is at, too much potential to pass up. Same goes for Dyl Roberton.

Dev Smith is a tricky one. Was there any particular reason he dropped so low last year? Makes me very nervous as a selection. Do we think he'll rise again?

Angus Brayshaw dicked me last year after I persisted for so long. Never again.
Injury.

I thought this year was his 4th year, but no, it's only his 3rd. Might be a year too early for him, but i'm keeping a close eye on him. if he does well in the preseason games then he might find himself in my team.
What are you expecting? You think a 90-95 average is realistic?

What are you expecting? You think a 90-95 average is realistic?
If he truly breaks out, I think 100 is achievable. All depends on if and when he does. Most players break out in their 4th year, after their 4th preseason, but there are exceptions (Piggy and Fyfe both averaged 100 in their second years, and so did Bont too from memory). James Worpel averaged 97 in his second year last year. I didn't start with him and i reckon a lot of people traded him out during the season, but he rewarded patient holders with a barnstorming finish to the year.

Short isn't even a lock for best 22, I'd stay clear

If he truly breaks out, I think 100 is achievable. All depends on if and when he does. Most players break out in their 4th year, after their 4th preseason, but there are exceptions (Piggy and Fyfe both averaged 100 in their second years, and so did Bont too from memory). James Worpel averaged 97 in his second year last year. I didn't start with him and i reckon a lot of people traded him out during the season, but he rewarded patient holders with a barnstorming finish to the year.
I'd have more confidence if Brayshaw had scored well in his good games, as Worpel did the year before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd have more confidence if Brayshaw had scored well in his good games, as Worpel did the year before.
Hard to compare. Brayshaw should play midfield this year, and that's what I'll be looking for. Played mostly forward in his first two years.

Why is Devon Smith such a lock? He scores very poorly when played forward and his good scores rely solely on tackles.
Probably because the lack of grunt in the Dons midfield make people reckon the role is there for him and if fit* he probably deliver about primo forward numbers** at a pretty big discount.

* Pretty big if he gets through the preseason unscathed. I’ve read some rumours that he’ll never get back to 100% fit.
** Very good chance he goes at 90+ if fit. Not much chance of him going at 100+.

Probably because the lack of grunt in the Dons midfield make people reckon the role is there for him and if fit* he probably deliver about primo forward numbers** at a pretty big discount.

* Pretty big if he gets through the preseason unscathed. I’ve read some rumours that he’ll never get back to 100% fit.
** Very good chance he goes at 90+ if fit. Not much chance of him going at 100+.
He’s 100% fit no doubt. Essendon fans think he plays mid so fair enough. I can see him forward.

No clue, but at a guess I reckon Stack would take that spot before him. McIntosh would be ahead of him for the wing spot too. Maybe even Naish.

Short is a pretty ordinary defender, the rest of the backline work overtime to free him and and utilise his long kicking, don't think that would work out on the wing where he'd be solely responsible for his direct opponent.
Totally agree that Stack will get first shot at the roll.

Players im intrigued by
I don’t think it’s worth going any mid priced mids or rucks. Lots of obvious choices

where as the forwards and backs are potential breakout/goldmines

backs
Dawson s Edwards (numbers as a mid are 100+) docherty stack Roberton doedee Blakely Clark witherden McKenna

forwards
Lipinski Bailey Smith(huge on him) wingard tom lynch tigers acres brayshaw Steven d Smith keays vandenburg

who’s rolling with who?

better team have more freedom imo
Would need a role change for me to be interested. 27YO and only had one season averaging over 86. They only lost 3 games after the bye last year and in that period he still averaged under 80. He ain't moving to the midfield. That's already fully stacked. No thanks.

I run with 6-8 mid-pricers most years. This year is no different, there is plenty of value around if you're looking for it. Not saying the list below are all Rd1 options, but certainly worth considering if their pre-season and or early season form warrant it.

*Currently in my side
*Watchlist

N Naitanui (457k)
R Gray
Angus Brayshaw
H Andrews
T English
C Mills
S Petrevski-Seton
K Simpson
S Menegola
P Lipinski
S Docherty
J Westhoff
S Stack
J Howe
H Clark
C Rozee
D Hannebery
Bailey Smith
C Wingard
C Blakely
W Milera
A Witherden
Tom Lynch (Rich)

T McDonald
J Simpkin
Andrew Brayshaw
J Riewoldt

O Florent
J Steven
J Webster
LDU
P Ahern
Devon Smith
JJ Kennedy
Z Fisher
W Setterfield
J Hogan
G Birchall
T Doedee
D Roberton

B Sier (242k)
Thanks - MPM again hey - just for fun

Players im intrigued by
I don’t think it’s worth going any mid priced mids or rucks. Lots of obvious choices

where as the forwards and backs are potential breakout/goldmines

backs
Dawson s Edwards (numbers as a mid are 100+) docherty stack Roberton doedee Blakely Clark witherden McKenna

forwards
Lipinski Bailey Smith(huge on him) wingard tom lynch tigers acres brayshaw Steven d Smith keays vandenburg

who’s rolling with who?
Interesting, tempting as a forward. Started slow last year as an 18 year old off little pre-season (was only draft eligible by two weeks) then improved as the season wore on.

Greenwood at GCS might be interesting too if he gets more midfield time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back