2020 Music

Remove this Banner Ad

A bit late to the top 10 albums party but here are mine, no order as I didn’t think there was a standout album this year just a lot of very solid albums.

Gorillaz - Song Machine
Nothing But Thieves - Moral Panic
Dune Rats - Hurry Up And Wait
Biffy Clyro - Celebration of Endings
Deftones -Ohms
The Word Alive - Monomania
Alestorm - Curse of the Crystal Coconut
King Gizzard - Oddlife
BMTH - Post Human:Survival Horror
Fever 333 - Wrong Generarion
Hockey Dad - Brain Candy

1. Cable Ties - Far Enough
2. Andy Shaun- Neon Skyline
3. Roisin Murphy- Roisin Machine
4. Perfume Genius - Set My Heart On Fire Immediately
5. Westside Gunn - Pray for Paris
6. Kvelertak - Splid
7. Cornershop - England is a Garden
8. Laura Marling - Song For Our Daughter
9. Four Tet - Sixteen Oceans
10. Against All Logic - 2017-2019
Loads more good albums this year: Jay Electronica, Caribou, Freddie Gibbs/Alchemist, Frances Quinlan, Yves Tumor, Waxahatchee, Dan Deacon, Owen Pallet, Destroyer to name a few.
Might have ****ed it. I was reading through the Stereogum top 50 and found two crackers:
Couch **** - Take a Chance On Rock 'n' Roll
Emma Ruth Rundle and Thou - May Our Chambers be Full
Particularly like the latter - screamy metal with depressing singer-songwriter works really well.
Slot them both in the top 10 somewhere.
Edit: LOL the swear filter picked up "Couch s-l-u-t"

Probably a little overambitious overall, and the last half drags on way too much but this LP would probably make the Top 10.

I generally don't mind jazz albums overstretching a bit though. Less interesting sections get glossed over in the grand scheme of things, and don't have the same general cringe factor as some of the more tawdry sections of a rock LP.

I'll always lean towards being more impressed if there's some serious moments, and I guess similar to the Kamasi Washington LP of a couple of years ago, the good outweighs the bad significantly.

I completely forgot about that new Four Tet LP. He's one of those producers that'll never put out a bad LP, but hasn't created anything truly captivating in a decade. Perfect background music though, and I'm assuming he chops his newer songs quite a bit to fit into a live setting.

There Is Love In You was given a lot of praise, but Rounds is a psychedelic masterpiece and comfortably his best LP IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back