2020 Music

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
The new Pink Siifu is an instant classic. Incredible album. Don't remember an album striking me this way since I first heard Red Burns by Standing on the Corner, and I consider Red Burns to be a 10/10.

I hope the sound collage approach is a trend that is really embraced this decade.
just grabbed both of these. no idea what i'm in for apart from they both seem like some sort of hip hop but i can't think of many 10/10 albums so i'll give it a go.

just grabbed both of these. no idea what i'm in for apart from they both seem like some sort of hip hop but i can't think of many 10/10 albums so i'll give it a go.
Standing on the Corner is probably closest to neo-soul, but far too hard to pin down to one genre. Pink Siifu is the noisiest hip-hop album I've ever heard, and probably the most "punk" album I've heard in some time.

It's interesting, because it really seems like Slauson Malone (SOTC's producer on Red Burns) had a bit to do with the new Pink Siifu album. Despite the vastly different aesthetics, still seems to have somehow had a real influence.

Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
Standing on the Corner is probably closest to neo-soul, but far too hard to pin down to one genre. Pink Siifu is the noisiest hip-hop album I've ever heard, and probably the most "punk" album I've heard in some time.

It's interesting, because it really seems like Slauson Malone (SOTC's producer on Red Burns) had a bit to do with the new Pink Siifu album. Despite the vastly different aesthetics, still seems to have somehow had a real influence.
Red Burns - as a sound collage its interesting but for the most part i found it too disjointed to be enjoyed as music. Y > X
NEGRO - chaotic noise. call me crazy but i like my music with rhythm or melody...sometimes both.

if I want to listen a bunch of weird s**t spliced together with a loosely based theme i'd rather dig up old episodes of Bobs Slacktime Funhouse.
each to their own :rainbow:

Red Burns - as a sound collage its interesting but for the most part i found it too disjointed to be enjoyed as music. Y > X
NEGRO - chaotic noise. call me crazy but i like my music with rhythm or melody...sometimes both.

if I want to listen a bunch of weird s**t spliced together with a loosely based theme i'd rather dig up old episodes of Bobs Slacktime Funhouse.
each to their own :rainbow:
Fair enough. I find the sound collage approach makes both albums challenging, but incredibly rewarding. As far as noise music goes, Pink Siifu is pretty melodic. I find noise very hit and miss, but NEGRO was digestible enough for me to immediately fall in love with it.

So umm, p4k just dropped a 10 on Fiona Apple's new album.

Anyone listened to it?
Yeah. Not really my thing, but would say it's indisputably a very good album on first listen.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Yep, been out for about 60 hours now, had at least 15 listens in that time. Fiona Apple after all, always an event.

The P4K 10 wasn't surprising, it already had a rarefied response well before then. It was one of those midnight releases so us Kiwi and Oz fans were some of the lucky first to enjoy it.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I've enjoyed these ones the most so far:

1. Fetch the Bolt Cutters
2. AE_Live 2016/18
3. Gizzard lives
4. The Slow Rush
5. Gigaton
6. Boombox Eternal
7. After Hours
8. Sweat Kollecta's Peanut Butter Traffik Jam
9. Australian Bushfire Comp Parts 1 & 2 curated by Roel Funcken

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
So umm, p4k just dropped a 10 on Fiona Apple's new album.

Anyone listened to it?

Really strong second half, with some pretty powerful songs.

Think it’s one of those LP’s that’ll need a good period of time to breath, but the quality is obvious. Cosmonauts and Heavy Balloon are the standout tracks at this stage.

I’ll never understand giving albums classic status without allowing them time to actually age though. In the past P4K have given 10’s to genuine zeitgeist LP’s - MBDTF and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, and read their significance pretty early on, I’m not sure this is at the same level. Last year they gave Lana Del Rey’s new LP some ridiculous rating (9.3 IIRC) and it’s pretty much set if you’re an artist they’ve backed in the past. The ratings are a little bit token, and far more rhetorical than they’d want you to believe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm 4 listens into Fetch the Bolt Cutters and it is a very infectious, unique record. It's hard to describe it. Haven't heard anything like it.

Be curious to see if anyone has had a similar experience, but I got to a stage with The Smith Street Band where Wil's vocals just started to really irritate me. I used to love Wil and the band, but I can't listen to them anymore.

Nov 10, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
It was his OTT sometimes ultra cringey lyrics moreso than his singing that I found annoying.

Throw Me In The River is my favourite Smith Street LP though. I’m not a huge fan, and on paper I should like the band a lot more than I do, but I love how heavy some of the songs are on that album.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I'd also be curious to hear where people stand in the whole Wil Wagner/Georgia Maq saga. Personally I thought it made both of them look pretty pathetic at the time.

Made both look bad, but the kinds of things Wil had said over the course of the breakup are things that emotional people say (often while intoxicated - not hard to speculate Wil was probably smashed while writing these texts/emails), and didn’t need to be aired.

Georgia effectively derailed The Smith Street Band’s career, ensured they lost fans and at one point it looked like possibly jeopardising the existence of the band entirely.

I think some of what Wil had said was pretty reprehensible, but it doesn’t surprise me, and I certainly don’t think it should have been brought to the public’s attention. I get the impression Georgia thought she was getting her own MeToo moment and was genuinely righting some wrong, but this was intentionally blown out of proportion and she looks all the more petty for it.

The whole thing isn’t helped by the SJW scene The Smith Street are a part of. Their audience have certain sensibilities that would have been deeply upset by the event, and probably see some cognitive dissonance in a lot of the messages Wil propagates through his music in contrast to the attitude and malevolence he displayed through the break up.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
I don't care what genres you do and don't listen to, this s**t is important. Triumph over tragedy. What music means to people and what people are willing to sacrifice. Right in the feels. I won't explain the history of the band because this video explains it all perfectly.

Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
i've given the Laterns On The Lake album Spook The Herd a few listens now.
it's best appreciated in a melancholy, reflective state of mind but there's some beautiful music here. it somehow manages to be both haunting and soul soothing.
like all good records the more you listen the more you discover subtle little nuances to be appreciated...think i might pour myself a drink and give it one more play through.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back