2020 Music

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Given Making a Door Less Open by Car Seat Headrest its first spin and my initial reaction is it's fantastic, particularly Hollywood, Martin and There Must Be More Than Blood. Read the liner notes that he started with a beat and worked his way up from there and it really comes across.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
The Chats - High Risk Behaviour.

It's like Kevin Bloody Wilson meets the Sex Pistols.
not sure if i could listen to it more than twice but its only 28 minutes for 14 songs so a second spin wont hurt.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Between FTBC, AE_Live 2016/2018 and now How I'm Feeling Now, April/May lockdown has been *ing magnificent!

Lots of decent Bandcamp releases in that period as well. Picked up several new releases from Australian faves over that period (I try to only buy Aussie on bandcamp).

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Screenshot_20200516-114505.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Where have we got the new Strokes album comparatively rated a few months later?

From 3-4 listens:

Is This It? - 10
Room On Fire - 7
The New Abnormal - 7
FIOE - 6.5
Angles - 5
Comedown Machine - 4.5

I prefer the vibe of it to ROF and FIOE. Flows really well, and has potentially to grow even more.

Very pleasantly surprised they pulled it off.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
The new Jeff Rosenstock LP is quality as you'd expect.

Between his solo stuff and BTMI! he has to be one of the most prolific artists of the the past decade.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Working from home and thought I'd give a few random albums a listen. New Birds of Tokyo sounds nothing like Birds of Tokyo. There's a few good tunes in there, but it's the softest pop/rock you can imagine, the lyrics equally banal at times, makes you wonder what the hell happened to them.

This record's a belter:

Fantastic new age/free improv debut:

Probably going to be hit or miss for most people, but The Garden's new LP is probably in my top handful of releases this year:

The original is fine, but this remix might be one of my favourite tracks of the year - really gorgeous, addicting track.

Also one of the best tracks of the year, can't wait for their LP:

New Armand Hammer is quality. Not sure if it's as good as their last, but very solid album:

Some quality Hindustani classical music. The tabla and sarangi are such magical instruments.

The new Oranssi Pazuzu is pretty great. I'd argue it's almost as adventurous as Liturgy's album last year, but doesn't seem to be getting the same attention:

Uboa's one of Australia's best musicians right now IMO. Her new EP is a bit too darkwavey for my liking, and I kinda wish she'd focus on noise and ambient music, but still a really good release anyway:

I have to revisit this album. It was really solid on first listen, but the single is an infectious Afrobeat banger.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
the Disheveled Cuss self titled debut is really good. it's a throwback to 90's indie/alt rock...so much so that it feels like it fell through a time warp.

Nick Reinhart, guitarist, and singer of cult favorites Tera Melos has created a new project under the moniker Disheveled Cuss. The songs live somewhere in-between early Weezer and Teenage Fanclub with a heavy 90's indie rock influence. The self-titled debut album Disheveled Cuss is an accomplished new turn and an exciting indicator of things to come from Nick Reinhart.

Back