2020 Music

Remove this Banner Ad

The worst album of the year has been released. It's not even going to be close.

10 songs. 3 and a half hours.

The Dandy Warhols, who I love, didn't even bother writing music or lyrics. They had a bad LSD trip, they walked into a studio at 2am, they took a s**t on the board, and they dared to release the most self indulgent s**t I've ever had the mispleasure of hearing.

The titles of the songs should've been a giveaway, as their COVID lockdown has clearly been similar to mine.

Here's a mindnumbingly self-indulgent example.

I feel like my 16 year old daughter has hijacked this thread....
Let's get it back on track. Matt Berninger's solo album is a solid listen.
Thread title: "2020 Music". A few of the year's chart hits is very on topic (and is something which tends to attract mindless hating).

Darren Cross (of Gerling) has a newie out (Keeping Up?) next Bandcamp Friday. Last half decade he had the excellent _Xantastic & Peacer (lot of great DIY music videos from this period on YT) as well as the neat Jep & Dep folk-noir side-project with Jessica Cassar. Since 2019 he has released two lush new wavey ambient American Primitive releases Ecstatic Racquet & Terabithian under the instrumentalist moniker 'D.C Cross'. This seems a more hypnagogic follow-up to Peacer but the description as "guitar-free", "an escape into nostalgia inducing instrumental music made on obsolete computers, drum machines and OSX 10.8.5" might also suggest a continuation of some of the lushness thrift on the D.C Cross records, and finding solidarity with other remnants made to feel obsolete in the here and now.

Last edited:
I like to hear all sorts of new music so I had a listen.
They seem to use autotune as an effects unit. Could they do that without autotune? I listened to a number of their songs.
Do they have any songs without autotune that you could recommend listening to?
I wouldn't really know, haven't really paid much attention to them personally. I'm only really familiar with a couple of their biggest hits that have made an impact on the ARIA charts. You might have listened to more of their stuff than I have.

Last edited:

Listened through the Gorillaz new album once. Everything is pleasant enough, feel like I could grow to love it if I wanted to put the time in. But I don't really. I'll just keep bopping to this.

picked up new pallbearer recently via bandcamp. toyed with getting one of their earlier releases but found it a bit soft for my liking.
this one also is a bit more accessible than most of my tastes but it's still on heavy rotation.

found this too, cover of 'in heaven' from eraserhead. big fan of chelsea but this is pointless. might be seeing the effects of too many of her fans blowing smoke up her ass.

i've been listening to the new Aesop Rock album Spirit World Field Guide a bit.
i'm still not really sure when one track ends and another starts. i don't know if this is because it's a well executed concept album or because most of Aesops stuff sounds really similar.
...either way I'm enjoying it.

Kylie - Disco is just front-to-back bangers, which is admirable at 52. Surprised to have a skip-free album from Kylie in 2020. Took a few listens to move past the perceived flaws/limitations, but just a fun album which hits the intended mark perfectly.

This album is so good. Kind of forgot about these guys for a few years, but loved some of the crescendos in their first album. Really solid shoegazy stuff. In a pretty lean year for indie rock, this has probably been the stand out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the latest offering from Sault (a mystery UK soul, funk, house, disco collective) goes alright. it's their fourth album in less than 18 months and their best IMO...even though my favourite song for the year (Wildfires) comes from the previous release.

Wildfires is a great track, but Pray Up Stay Up is my favourite they've put out. Really solid group, but don't feel like they've 'nailed' an album yet.

SPC ECO (pronounced Space Echo) released 11 EP's and an Album this year, all of them very enjoyable.

SPC ECO is a duo made up of former Curve bassist and Engineer Dean Garcia and his daughter Rose Berlin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back