NFL 2020 NFL Pre-Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Tua is going to answer my prayers......you see Ive been wanting a LH QB to become an all time great since 2004.

Why since 2004 you say? Lol, you don't remember the Cheifs winning 3 championships in a row after taking a chance in the 2004 NFL Draft on a unatheletic QB who would sling it all over the lot with a deadly accurate left arm cannon named Perry Nickerson? You're joking me? Nickerson is the reason Tony Gonzalez is consider the greatest TE of all time by some. Gonzalez's B2B 25 TD seasons with Nickerson delivering the ball to him on a rope will NEVER be broken.

Still can't remember?

Well, I don't blame you, as he was a player created by the good people at EA for Madden 2003, back when they actually could make a decent football game.

Tua to become the real life Perry Nickerson Ive been waiting 16 years for. Yay.

When I became an NFL fan in the 80s I initially supported the Bengals because Boomer Esiason was left handed. If Tua is as good as Esiason or Steve Young for that matter (both won the MVP), whoever drafts him will be celebrating.

Lol what a s**t GM, cant operate on the fly...

The Daily News' Manish Mehta reports Steelers GM Kevin Colbert proposed that teams should be awarded three extra draft picks to offset any coronavirus restrictions.
Shoot your shot. The league's lack of available private workouts and visits to team facilities have obviously thrown some organizations for a loop, forcing much displeasure behind closed doors. While Colbert's suggestion that a 10-round draft would widen any margin for error isn't exactly false, it emphasizes some front office's prehistoric thought processes and pre-draft preparation when forced to evaluate outside the box. April's draft — a "fully virtual" experience — will undoubtedly result in multiple late-round and undrafted players being impacted by the entire process.
SOURCE: Manish Mehta on Twitter
Apr 7, 2020, 12:04 PM ET
The draft used to go 20 rounds - bring that back! There's no competition from any other sports at the moment so just make it a week long activity.

Night 1 - 1st Round
Night 2 - Rounds 2 and 3
Night 3 - Rounds 4, 5, 6
Night 4 - Rounds 7, 8, 9
Night 5 - Rounds 10, 11, 12
Night 6 - Rounds 13, 14, 15, 16
Night 7 - Rounds 17, 18, 19, 20

That way teams could fill their undrafted free agents rather than the open slather that currently happens.

Will you join me as a Dolphins fan if we draft him?
If he's drafted by the AFC I might consider changing my second team allegiance to that team. There's no way I'd switch from the Vikings.

The draft used to go 20 rounds - bring that back! There's no competition from any other sports at the moment so just make it a week long activity.

Night 1 - 1st Round
Night 2 - Rounds 2 and 3
Night 3 - Rounds 4, 5, 6
Night 4 - Rounds 7, 8, 9
Night 5 - Rounds 10, 11, 12
Night 6 - Rounds 13, 14, 15, 16
Night 7 - Rounds 17, 18, 19, 20

That way teams could fill their undrafted free agents rather than the open slather that currently happens.
Thats a very avante-garde suggestion by you! Im down for it.

Given that the 1st round coverage is way behind the actual pick being taken, I'm sure the NFL will be able to fix any technical glitches behind the scenes without any impact to the coverage.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports "certain coaches and front-office staffers" are reluctant to have IT employees in their homes for fear of spreading the COVID-19 virus.
It's the first true hang-up execs have experienced since the league announced it would be ignorantly pushing forward with this year's draft. Not only are some coaches and front-office members concerned about sharing their homes with IT employees, some of the latter have also reportedly voiced their concerns about going into others homes to equip them. With a handful of general managers and head coaches continuing to push back, it will be interesting to hear Commissioner Roger Goodell's response to any who audibly oppose his iron fist. This new development likely won't effect the draft from commencing as scheduled on April 23.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Apr 8, 2020, 3:57 PM ET

The Athletic's Daniel Popper believes there's a "chance" the Chargers may trade CB Desmond King.
King was a first-team All-Pro selection as the Chargers' slot corner in 2018 before taking a step back last season. The Chargers then went out and signed Chris Harris last month and told him he'll be taking over in the slot. That would seem to leave King relegated to dime duties as the sixth defensive back, with Casey Hayward and Michael Davis on the outside and Derwin James and Rayshawn Jenkins at safety. King, 25, is headed into the final year of his rookie deal, so it would make sense to trade him while the Bolts can get something in return. He's been talked about as a potential piece in trade-up scenarios at the top of the first round of the draft.
SOURCE: The Athletic
Apr 8, 2020, 12:23 PM ET

NFL Draft: Tua Tagovailoa fails two teams’ physicals, ex-GM Lombardi says

“Two teams I’ve talked to have flunked him,” said Lombardi, adding that one of the teams is in the top 10. “They flunked him on not just the hip. It’s the multitude of injuries. The risk far outweighs the reward.”

“It’s not just his hip,” Lombardi said. “It’s his ankle. It’s his wrist. He broke his wrist the first day of spring ball one year. And then they fixed it. He came back and broke it again. He’s brittle. He is brittle. You can’t deny it.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The entire draft is a lottery, just have a look at the number of 1st rounders that haven't been offered 5th year options. The lower someone is drafted the higher the chance they don't become effective NFL players.

No particular team has consistently over-achieved in the draft. It doesn't matter how much research, metrics etc that a team uses in the draft, the reality is that most of the players they draft don't become effective NFL players.

To argue constantly about whether or not a player is injury prone, more highly ranked than another player etc is a self defeating argument - its' all based on someones OPINION, not facts, but opinions. And of course - opinions will differ!

#endofrant

I think what he means by "better" is that Tuas quick release has greatly improved under his tutelage....seeing as both Rodgers and Marino are acclaimed for that particular trait.

No one throws actually better than Marino
No he means he throws the football better than anyone. He used Rodgers and Marino for emphasis as they are renowned as arguably the two best throws ever.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Lions, "At No. 3, I’m told they’ve had discussions with teams about potentially moving back from their slot and that teams wanting to move up have been receptive."
Rapoport added, "As it maps out possibilities, Detroit is always an intriguing team." Obviously the Lions are going to be receptive to any and all trade requests considering the likelihood that someone wants to move up for a QB. The key question is how much draft capital it'll take for someone to move all the way up to the No. 3 spot. Look for the Lions to address the defense if they ultimately stay put.
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Apr 9, 2020, 11:55 AM ET

Remove this Banner Ad

Back