MVP 2020 Nick "426" Smith Memorial Trophy | Petracca Gets His 1st

Well, I had so many ideas for this thread this year...before looking down the barrel of giving out the award to the best player over the 2 Marsh games. After all the build-up in the off-season, getting pumped up to be on the verge of leaving the Bottom 6, just to play 1 game and continue said off-season for an indeterminate period. It will a very interesting season should we get more games later this year, especially if we get top-up players who get points for a Tuesday afternoon game before getting delisted from November finals footy. Though in case we don't get more games, Viney gets an asterisk or two for 2020.

Honour Roll (Bluey Truscott placings)

2020 - Christian Petracca (???)
2019 - Max Gawn (=1st)
2018 - Max Gawn (1st)
2017 - Clayton Oliver (1st)
2016 - Max Gawn (3rd)
2015 - Tom McDonald (3rd)
2014 - Nathan Jones (1st)
2013 - Nathan Jones (1st)
2012 - Nathan Jones (1st)
2011 - Jack Trengove (5th)
2010 - Brad Green (1st)
2009 - Aaron Davey (1st)
2008 - Brad Green (3rd)*
2007 - Nathan Jones (2nd)
2006 - Brock McLean (3rd)
2005 - Brent Moloney (3rd)
2004 - Adem Yze (3rd)
2003 - Abandoned after Round 3
2002 - Adem Yze (6th)
2001 - Started in Round 10

Last edited:
Round 1 v Weagles
10 - Jack Viney
9 - Christian Petracca
8 - Kysaiah Pickett
7 - Jay Lockhart
6 - Ed Langdon

Round 2 v BlueBaggers
10 - Christian Petracca
9 - Clayton Oliver
8 - Max Gawn
7 - Trent Rivers
6 - Christian Salem

Round 4 v Cats
10 - Angus Brayshaw
9 - Clayton Oliver
8 - Michael Hibberd
7 - Steven May
6 - Christian Petracca

Round 5 v Tigers
10 - Christian Petracca
9 - Steven May
8 - Michael Hibberd
7 - Mitch Hannan
6 - Max Gawn

LeaderBoard after Round 5
1594196466112.png

Round 6 v Suns
10 - Max Gawn
9 - Jack Viney
8 - Christian Petracca
7 - Mitch Hannan
6 - Oscar McDonald

Round 7 v Hawks
10 - Max Gawn
9 - Christian Petracca
8 - Sam Weideman
7 - Clayton Oliver
6 - Jack Viney

Round 8 v Lions
10 - Jack Viney
9 - Steven May
8 - Jake Melksham
7 - Clayton Oliver
6 - Christian Petracca

Round 9 v Port
10 - Steven May
9 - Jay Lockhart
8 - Michael Hibberd
7 - Jake Lever
6 - Tom Sparrow

LeaderBoard after Round 9
1596369328198.png

Round 10 v Crows
10 - Clayton Oliver
9 - Jack Viney
8 - Steven May
7 - Christian Petracca
6 - Luke Jackson

Round 11 v Norf
10 - Christian Petracca
9 - Clayton Oliver
8 - Angus Brayshaw
7 - Jake Lever
6 - Sam Weideman

Round 12 v Colliwobbles
10 - Clayton Oliver
9 - Ed Langdon
8 - Angus Brayshaw
7 - Christian Petracca
6 - Steven May

Round 13 v Dogs
10 - Steven May
9 - Jake Lever
8 - Sam Weideman
7 - Jack Viney
6 - Ed Langdon

Round 14 v Ainters
10 - Steven May
9 - Christian Petracca
8 - Ed Langdon
7 - Jake Lever
6 - Christian Salem

LeaderBoard after Round 14
1598961059830.png

Round 15 v Swans
10 - Ed Langdon
9 - Max Gawn
8 - Steven May
7 - Adam Tomlinson
6 - Clayton Oliver

Round 16 v Freo
10 - Jack Viney
9 - Trent Rivers
8 - Christian Petracca
7 - Ed Langdon
6 - Steven May

Round 17 v Giants
10 - Ed Langdon
9 - Steven May
8 - Trent Rivers
7 - Christian Petracca
6 - Charlie Spargo

Round 18 v Dons
10 - Steven May
9 - Jake Lever
8 - Chrsitian Petracca
7 - Jayden Hunt
6 - Mitch Brown

Final LeaderBoard 2020
1600774499668.png

Last edited:
2 and a half months and only 1 player made the points in both games, Petracca dominated in voting the same way Viney did in Round 1. With 2 of the point-getters from March getting dropped for the game, it was good to see another debutant get their first Top 5 finish in Rivers. It was great to see point-regulars Oliver, Gawn and Salem amongst the top again but it really was all Petracca this round.

Petracca getting back-to-back Top 2 finishes in the first 2 rounds makes him only the 7th player ever in the 426 to achieve such a feat, but only time will tell if this will translate to overall success or a flash-in-the-pan moment.
1592296654454.png

Note 1: The 2001-05 seasons used a 3-2-1 system so the total score cannot show any scores for 4th or 5th. The score I can get have been adjusted accordingly, with season totals acknowledging that the score may be bigger. Season places are from under the original system.
Note 2: The 2003 season did not have vote threads after Round 3, so season totals cannot be made.
Note 3: The 2006 season used a 5-4-3-2-1 system so scores have been adjusted accordingly but season places are from under the original system.

Attachments

• 1592296654454.png
    1592296654454.png
    78.1 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
So in the Carlton vote thread, I showed the best players in recent Blues games. This week, I'm just going to show you the best players against every club instead of waiting for those clubs to face us.​
1593592605713.png

For this, I took the Top 3 of every game since Round 10, 2001 until Round 23, 2019 and gave it the usual 3-2-1 system. The total Top 3 games only goes back to Round 1, 2004 because something something integrity, so some numbers have an asterisk next to it if that player got a Top 3 result from the 2001-03 seasons.​

Last edited:
I dont get it...but it looks impressive and lot of work.

Are they the number of games a player has played against certain teams in the left column of each opposition?

Edit: can't be coz neitz has a 0 and 6 against Footscray. Completely lost. :(

Last edited:
I dont get it...but it looks impressive and lot of work.

Are they the number of games a player has played against certain teams in the left column of each opposition?

Edit: can't be coz neitz has a 0 and 6 against Footscray. Completely lost. :(
The left column is the number of times the player finished in the Top 3 in the votes against that particular team. The David Neitz v Footscray example is that he finished in the Top 3 thrice in a row 2003, 2002 and 2002, and so has enough points to be mentioned.

So why does the left column say 0* and not 3? Because the left column only goes back to 2004 due to the 2003 season abruptly ending after Round 3, meaning most teams are missing a game while a handful are missing 2. So why did I include the 2001, 2002, 2003 that do have threads in the right column? Because I still wanted to showcase those feats.

I probably should've kept the 10-9-8-7-6 system and only go back to 2006 :drunk:.

Last edited:
The left column is the number of times the player finished in the Top 3 in the votes against that particular team. The David Neitz v Footscray example is that he finished in the Top 3 thrice in a row 2003, 2002 and 2002, and so has enough points to be mentioned.

So why does the left column say 0* and not 3? Because the left column only goes back to 2004 due to the 2003 season abruptly ending after Round 3, meaning most teams are missing a game while a handful are missing 2. So why did I include the 2001, 2002, 2003 that do have threads in the right column? Because I still wanted to showcase that feats.

I probably should've kept the 10-9-8-7-6 system and only go back to 2006.

Thanks for the detailed explanation mate. I do understand now. Great job 👍

400 Vote Threads and a quarter of this season completed, Petracca is wasting no time creating a lead that will be harder to bridge with 5 less games. And while having 2 BOGs in the first few rounds isn't something new, it is new for Petracca who only had 1 BOG before in his career (Magpies beware). Something else to note about his win here is that he took home 63.4% of all votes, the 7th biggest take of votes in any 1 game.
In other news, Steven May's second place finish almost saw him overtake his 2019 total, Michael Hibberd's third place finish makes it his 3 straight scoring game against Richmond, Mitch Hannan's fourth place was the first time since Round 22, 2018 that he's scored while Max Gawn has suffered his worst 4-game start to a season where he's played all 4 games.

This week's statistical trivia is about those starts of the season since, as you're about to see, they can easily set you up for the rest of the season. The following are all the players who scored the most points a quarter into their season. I've named it after Cameron Bruce who, as you can see, was very good at having great starts to the season, but never won the 426. (Since 2020 has fewer games, it only includes the first 4 games whereas all the rest include the first 6).

1594195127202.png

Also, testing this feature allowing me shrink the picture more so that it doesn't take forever to scroll down.

Last edited:
This week, Gawn, Viney and Petracca Top 3 finishes has also seen them occupy the Top 3 on the leaderboard, Hannan gets back-to-back scoring games for the first time since 2017 and OMac scored, which seems to be a surprise every time it happens.

It also had 16 players get votes where Headless asked...
Do you happen to have stats on widest spread of votes in any given week? No doubt there have been several where all 22 players have polled?
...And I replied...
I remember from 2018, at least I think it was, where someone gave 2 players 1 vote with the remaining 20 getting 0.5 each since that does still equal 12. Another game just had all 12 votes spread across the 22 (0.545454 recurring).
If you're asking for games where everyone finishes with 1 whole vote each, I can safely say that's never happened, though I'll have a look tomorrow as to which got closest and what the average is.
I know every game has had 5 players get votes.
Every one of those stats I said were wrong, bar there not being a game where everyone good at least 1 vote. There's only been 1 game where everyone got a mention, where someone gave 1 person 1 and the rest 0.5238.
But let's look at the history of the spread of votes over the 22 players.
1594723527640.png

I'm not sure what would lead to a decline in the average over the past decade...maybe the gap between our best and worst players has been growing since the wooden spoon years, but in any case, that is the spread of vote-getters over the complete seasons (so not all 400 games, only the 384 that make up complete seasons)

May 27, 2006
This is the location section. 🤗
AFL Club
Melbourne
This week, Gawn, Viney and Petracca Top 3 finishes has also seen them occupy the Top 3 on the leaderboard, Hannan gets back-to-back scoring games for the first time since 2017 and OMac scored, which seems to be a surprise every time it happens.

It also had 16 players get votes where Headless asked...

...And I replied...

Every one of those stats I said were wrong, bar there not being a game where everyone good at least 1 vote. There's only been 1 game where everyone got a mention, where someone gave 1 person 1 and the rest 0.5238.
But let's look at the history of the spread of votes over the 22 players.
View attachment 912398
I'm not sure what would lead to a decline in the average over the past decade...maybe the gap between our best and worst players has been growing since the wooden spoon years, but in any case, that is the spread of vote-getters over the complete seasons (so not all 400 games, only the 384 that make up complete seasons)

So good. Awesome work. No doubt you've mentioned it somewhere, but was there a different voting system in 2005 and prior?

So good. Awesome work. No doubt you've mentioned it somewhere, but was there a different voting system in 2005 and prior?
2001-2005 was a 3-2-1 system so less people would've gotten votes, 2006 was a 5-4-3-2-1 system, 2007 gave voters 8 votes to give out before finally, 2008 where we've had the same system ever since.
Also, no idea if this is the case, but I have a gut feeling there would have been more voters several years ago and, therefore, more players polling votes? Not sure.
Well, the thing about the amount of voters each week is that...
1594725245045.png

...you were right the first time when you expected that the amount of voters is tied to how well the team is going, because the weekly threads were going strong during the Roos era.

Edit: the red highlighted parts are the Top 20 Busiest Vote Threads, with 2017 R2 being the only thread with over 40 voters

Last edited:

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Bloody loved Bizzell.

he was my favourite player in 02/03.

the semi final against the crows in 2002, there is a passage of play on the Mcc members wing where he spoils
The ball, runs after it dives for a knock on and then tackles a bloke. It leads to one of the Yze/Vardy goals from the boundary.

despite the loss those 2nd and 3rd quarters was the best footy I’ve seen. Our best and worst that year was so far apart, but our best was capable of bearing the best.

Wow, a game where the everyone in the Top 4 on the Leaderboard scored points... no wonder we dominated. And Sam Weideman had his second ever scoring game, meaning every time Weideman scores 3 goals, he scores points (and only when he scores 3 goals).

Well, due to the timing of it all, I've had to hold this off 2 weeks. Since our 4th game of this season was No. 400 in terms of games voted on, I've divided the games to represent who the best player was every 100 games.
1595405069915.png

Nothing fancy with the display this week, just the numbers. Something to note is that I've ended up splitting the 4 dual-winners into each of the 4 periods and, unsurprising, they've all ended up on top of their respective tallies.

The first 100 games used the 3-2-1 system while the remaining 100 games periods used the 10-9-8-7-6 system.

Alright, you probably didn't notice, every year under the honour board usually has the highest scoring season and highest votes individual game.

This year I forgot to do that.
So instead, I'll give out the Top 20 of 4 similiar categories...
1596018580710.png

Highest Scoring Season, Biggest Take of Votes in 1 Game, Most Votes in a Season and Most Votes in 1 game. The most important category to me would be the Biggest Percentage of Votes in 1 Game, since it isn't controlled by how many people vote. It also doesn't include Petracca's game from Round 4, which I stated as now being No.7 on the list. I did it to emphasis how much love Gawn was getting in 2019.

FootyGuy13, apologies if I've missed this somewhere. Do you have stats on the most consecutive games polled by a single player?
And now I have an idea for what I'm going to post on Sunday;)

Back