Resource 2022 NMFC Membership thread - Final Tally: 50,191

Remove this Banner Ad

Level 1 Seating [link] says this is a "members only reserved area"

15687655686309612225d81768061c88_desktop.png

Isn't this nearly always GA at our home games? I feel like I've waltzed straight into these seats plenty of times before.

I had to email to Opt Out of my membership. No wonder they are busy with their emails as they gave everyone a deadline of October 21st. It took messages over Twitter for them to respond to me, after I had waited 8 business days for a reply from email. Plus they raised each membership yet again. More money for the same stuff (or less, if our membership packs this year were anything to go by). I love this club, but boy they make it hard for a single gal on a mortgage and a low wage earning job.

[I had to opt out, as last year I upgraded my membership for the 150th year as a special treat to myself, but I cannot continue to pay the higher membership cost every year. So I had to opt out, so I could go back to my regular membership package.]

I had a free membership for the 2019 season (purchased a MAZDA in 2017) and justified it by going to the 150th dinner. Found out this morning I have been auto-renewed which is interesting because I have only had the debit card since early 2019 (and only purchased the ticket to the aforementioned 150th via that card, previous memberships were on a now cut up credit card).

I obviously don't read my e-mails that closely from the club. I do appreciate the assumption that I want to pay now for something I can't use for five months, not as though I have a mortgage repayment or private health direct debit coming up.

I had an idea for us to create a new membership category by enlisting Pontings assistance.

A 5 game membership called Ricky's Roos. Marketed exclusively to the Melbourne Indian community.

The membership would seek to have Ricky teach an virtually untapped market about the game. We could be relatively selective about the games that the memberships were for. The package would include some sort of function where Ricky could do a Q&A or something.

In a saturated market this may be a way in to a customer base
Great idea but shame it won’t be used remember this club can’t even get CEO appointed

I had a free membership for the 2019 season (purchased a MAZDA in 2017) and justified it by going to the 150th dinner. Found out this morning I have been auto-renewed which is interesting because I have only had the debit card since early 2019 (and only purchased the ticket to the aforementioned 150th via that card, previous memberships were on a now cut up credit card).

I obviously don't read my e-mails that closely from the club. I do appreciate the assumption that I want to pay now for something I can't use for five months, not as though I have a mortgage repayment or private health direct debit coming up.

That's not on.

Huh? Isn't that technically theft?!

WTF IS GOING ON DOWN AT THAT PLACE!

So the renewal email has arrived and unless I say otherwise my Membership will be automatically deducted on October 21st.

I don’t know why that date is picked

Being a Country Resident I typically wait to AFTER the fixture is released to figure out when and how I go to games

Just remember this as a stink last year

hilly you need to read BF more; and yep I have a big Dentist bill coming Thursday

8-(

Last edited:
Membership prices really shouldn't be increased. It's not like we get to watch North win premierships these days.

Someone has to pay for all the AFL non related garbage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Membership prices really shouldn't be increased. It's not like we get to watch North win premierships these days.

Inflation rate is currently 1.6% so all prices will generally go up over time. I think ticket prices will progressively get a lot more expensive over the coming years. People in America would be amused by us bemoaning the cost of our memberships that grant access to 11 games. I can't remember the exact numbers but I think average ticket prices per game is around $250 or so over there and it can be insanely difficult/expensive to get access to season tickets.

We have been fortunate that supply has been significantly higher than demand, but you can see the trend with clubs where that isn't the scenario, it is just a matter of time until attending games will be a privilege we do not take for granted or get access to relatively cheaply.

Yep I really don't agree with this auto-renewal and auto payment / deduction. Not sure where this was mentioned in our original application however I don't remember agreeing to it.

Inflation rate is currently 1.6% so all prices will generally go up over time. I think ticket prices will progressively get a lot more expensive over the coming years. People in America would be amused by us bemoaning the cost of our memberships that grant access to 11 games. I can't remember the exact numbers but I think average ticket prices per game is around $250 or so over there and it can be insanely difficult/expensive to get access to season tickets.

We have been fortunate that supply has been significantly higher than demand, but you can see the trend with clubs where that isn't the scenario, it is just a matter of time until attending games will be a privilege we do not take for granted or get access to relatively cheaply.
Just imagine what our attendance numbers would look like if tickets were $250 per game.

It is pretty disgusting how bad the ticket prices are in America and Europe for their Football leagues. When a player like Neymar Jr costs a resounding £198 million for a transfer fee, you know it's gotten bad.

The supply and demand are totally different though. Baseball tickets are nowhere near that price unless you want super fancy seats, football is played in big stadia but only 8 games and they have a whole city to draw the demand from. Basketball and hockey are in between - you get 40 home dates but only ~20,000 seat buildings. When I last lived in Toronto it was pretty easy to get decent affordable seats to the Raptors unless there was a big drawcard visiting team, but impossible to get Leafs tickets other than through extortionate scalping. Raptors are a bit harder now though - they have a wait list for season tickets and the cheapest single game tickets are $50-$60. I took my son to a Leafs-Rangers game and he was the envy of his school mates because normal kids could just never go to games. It's a city of 4 million plus satellite suburbs.

It's common for people to pool together to get season tickets, because of both the cost and the sheer number of home dates. The baseball teams also have lots of flexi packages that are more comparable to our memberships, and well-used official exchange/resale programs. Cheapest Blue Jays season ticket is about $1900CAD for 81 home dates, so $23/game.

The supply and demand are totally different though. Baseball tickets are nowhere near that price unless you want super fancy seats, football is played in big stadia but only 8 games and they have a whole city to draw the demand from. Basketball and hockey are in between - you get 40 home dates but only ~20,000 seat buildings. When I last lived in Toronto it was pretty easy to get decent affordable seats to the Raptors unless there was a big drawcard visiting team, but impossible to get Leafs tickets other than through extortionate scalping. Raptors are a bit harder now though - they have a wait list for season tickets and the cheapest single game tickets are $50-$60. I took my son to a Leafs-Rangers game and he was the envy of his school mates because normal kids could just never go to games. It's a city of 4 million plus satellite suburbs.

It's common for people to pool together to get season tickets, because of both the cost and the sheer number of home dates. The baseball teams also have lots of flexi packages that are more comparable to our memberships, and well-used official exchange/resale programs. Cheapest Blue Jays season ticket is about $1900CAD for 81 home dates, so $23/game.

When we look at AFL clubs though, the closer they get to capacity, the more prices increase despite the top quarter of the stadium seating being pricey by default, West Coast supporters pay a lot more for access to the footy than we do, as do Geelong supporters. Our prices will be difficult to sustain at low value if we are going to compete, if it wasn't for football department spending soft cap we would already be at a significant disadvantage. We are fortunate that clubs that can easily afford to go over the soft cap are choosing not to.

If we paid on average the same as West Coast supporters paid for their memberships, we probably wouldn't need to sell games to Tasmania. That is a pretty harsh reality.

I’m going to go to the club and pay in cold hard cash 2 days before our first home rather than get roped into the membership depts sneaky ‘opt in, auto renew’ bullshit 5 months before we’re due to start playing again. No one needs to know or have ‘access’ to my credit card and simply go ahead make a CC deduction on the sly. I shouldn’t have to ring up the membership dept and opt out ffs, this is so ******* wrong. This type of s**t, deceptive behaviour is the norm for banks, telcos and utility co’s. Start treating us like proper valued football club members rather than gullable customers. It’s ******* bullshit selling memberships before the fixture comes out. Probably a case of membership staff wth no affiliation to the club on bonuses and commissions for signing up as many members as possible by certain dates.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back