Play Nice 2020 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Guessing they might have hit 90K if coronavirus wasn't a thing.

I think it's in the all-time top ten for cricket crowds in Australia though. The only bigger crowds I'm aware of are the 2015 and 1992 World Cup finals, the 2017, 2013 and 2006 Boxing Day Tests, day one of the MCG Test against the West Indies in 1960/61 and the India/South Africa group stage match in the 2015 World Cup.

they went for and wanted for 90K+ but that should not distract from the fact that a women's sporting event had an 80K plus crowd. Not bad at all.

And they correctly pitched the price of a ticket to get close enough.

1. Data (some of it going back 60 years) for the average attendance of all Sydney NRL grounds.

EDIT:

2. SMH M. Chammas 9.3

The SMH contacted 31 NRL Chairmen & CEO's to complete an anonymous poll re strategic issues facing the NRL- 20 agreed.
Many interesting questions & anonymous responses.

Only 50% agreed that T. Greenberg should have his contract renewed as NRL CEO.

Only 45% agreed that the NRL should expand to 17 teams soon; & 60% agreed there was a lack of depth in talent to expand to 17 teams.
Only 5% agreed, however, that RL participation numbers was one of the most important issues facing the NRL (40%- the biggest %- said it was the next broadcast deal); only 10% said crowd numbers were one of the most important issues facing the NRL.

65% believe there are too many NRL clubs in Sydney; & 65% believe that, if the NRL were to expand, there should be a relocation for expansion

3. On Foxtel NRL 360 9.3.20, P. Kent was critical of the NRL, saying

Re the previous broadcast deal, "John Grant said 'We got $1 billion'...5 years later when the deal expired they had no money in the bank, no assets, less people playing the game. They still haven't explained where did the billion went?". Neither P. Rothfield or J.Hooper challenged Kent's comments.
(Go to 4 minutes 24 secs - 4mins 48 secs.)

Kent also said "The (ARLC) Board is split on whether to retain Greenberg...the odds are now in favour of Todd being moved on".

Last edited:
Looking more and more likely each hour.

Cricket and GP now closed to spectators this weekend.
Yes, I think how the F1 has been hounded to cancel their event that other major sports now have no hope of having business as usual.
I also think this will get the panic merchants to ramp their scaremongering and that will hurt the economy badly.
Very interesting times ahead.

Last edited:
Yes, I think how the F1 has been hounded to cancel their event that other major sports now have no hope of having business as usual.
I also think this will get the panic merchants to ramp their scaremongering and that will hurt the economy badly.
Very interesting times ahead.

F1: Lewis Hamiltons comments were measured, no panic. Love the sport, its disappointing, I would have gone ahead ... the media will use the decision to prosecute their agenda, the preachers will preach !

And the biggest events are worse affected.
So how can the IOC say the Olympics are going ahead considering Japan couldn't manage one cruise ship?

I also think this will get the panic merchants to ramp their scaremongering and that will hurt the economy badly. Very interesting times ahead.

Scaremongering and the premature use of the word 'crisis' is one thing but the the lack of logic is baffling.
Containment policies are crippling the economies of the world and as yet to be proven effective (except maybe China).
Letting the virus run it's course would be economically much cheaper still might be the end result.

And the biggest events are worse affected.
So how can the IOC say the Olympics are going ahead considering Japan couldn't manage one cruise ship?

Scaremongering and the premature use of the word 'crisis' is one thing but the the lack of logic is baffling.
Containment policies are crippling the economies of the world and as yet to be proven effective (except maybe China).
Letting the virus run it's course would be economically much cheaper still might be the end result.

Yep what is with the Monday date? Morrison going the RL and Hillsong Church on Sunday?

Yep what is with the Monday date? Morrison going the RL and Hillsong Church on Sunday?

The big Hillsong money making scam conference finishing up on Sunday would seem to be the key factor in this timing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As usual the low class money grubbing NRL dont do the right thing like Cricket,Horse racing, Basketball and the A League and many other events have by not letting fans in!Just proves they dont give a stuff about their fans health.

Peter V’landys forged his reputation a few years back. As equine flu ravaged the racing game, V’landys organised a pow-wow with then-Prime Minister John Howard.
V’landys’ hope was that the federal government would chime in with $100m or so to help the racing industry through a period that threatened to devastate the sport.

V’landys, the Racing NSW chief executive, walked out of that meeting with a pledge for more than $200m, a skip in his step and his stature as one of the country’s finest sporting administrators enhanced.

The financial damage brought on by the coronavirus could be immeasurable. As it is, the NRL has dipped into its distressed club fund to give each of them $425,000.

The ARL Commission will meet again later this week to discuss further funding, the likelihood that the clubs most in jeopardy will be given additional amounts.

Sports casters and sports journalists will soon find themselves out of a job. There is very little to report on, and it will be like this for months.

"Figures sourced by The Age show the clash between Richmond and Carlton - held before an empty stadium - were the highest in five years for the now-traditional season opener.
The average national audience for the free-to-air network was 1,024,000, up 4.4 per cent on the 981,000 of last year."

I think this is a disappointing result considering the novelty of the event and the current circumstances and with people stuck at home as many places would be closed that people normally would attend on a Thursday night and I expect the ratings to drop from here on in even if the matches do keep going on!

I but I found myself channel surfing as the game lacked any of the normal energy.

Last edited:

Peter V’landys forged his reputation a few years back. As equine flu ravaged the racing game, V’landys organised a pow-wow with then-Prime Minister John Howard.
V’landys’ hope was that the federal government would chime in with $100m or so to help the racing industry through a period that threatened to devastate the sport.

V’landys, the Racing NSW chief executive, walked out of that meeting with a pledge for more than $200m, a skip in his step and his stature as one of the country’s finest sporting administrators enhanced.

The financial damage brought on by the coronavirus could be immeasurable. As it is, the NRL has dipped into its distressed club fund to give each of them $425,000.

The ARL Commission will meet again later this week to discuss further funding, the likelihood that the clubs most in jeopardy will be given additional amounts.

To me V'Landys comes across as a glad handing bogan who has gotten lucky - not the sharpest tool in the shed.
I think he believes the BS that the Sydney media print about him.
Trying to blackmail the government into giving our tax money to to prop up the NRL which is not even a national sport like the AFL is not a good look in these troubling times.
If the virus gets out of control like in Italy there will be many more deserving causes other than sport that will need looking after first.

The latest I"m hearing is that the Feds will look to top up the incomes of those losing their jobs and small businesses to survive for the next 6 months or so, the package will be worth some $50 billion for just doing that.
Not sure there will be too much leftover largesse to top up the bank accounts of big sports earning big TV revenue merely so the players can continue to be paid $1 mill per annum.

"Figures sourced by The Age show the clash between Richmond and Carlton - held before an empty stadium - were the highest in five years for the now-traditional season opener.
The average national audience for the free-to-air network was 1,024,000, up 4.4 per cent on the 981,000 of last year."

I think this is a disappointing result considering the novelty of the event and the current circumstances and with people stuck at home as many places would be closed that people normally would attend on a Thursday night and I expect the ratings to drop from here on in even if the matches do keep going on!

I but I found myself channel surfing as the game lacked any of the normal energy.
I’m surprised it was that high last year tbh. I imagine that will equal out to about 1.35mil inc pay, which is still good.
I would love to know what the peak was. I could imagine neutrals switching off.

I’m surprised it was that high last year tbh. I imagine that will equal out to about 1.35mil inc pay, which is still good.
I would love to know what the peak was. I could imagine neutrals switching off.
As posted by The Wookie on the 'AFL Crowds & Ratings' thread -

Highest rating season opener in the Foxtel era. Highest rating Melbourne audience for the season opener on FTA game 2009. Highest rating season opening game on Foxtel since they began live broadcasting it.
As a point of comparison, what did the NRL rate?

As posted by The Wookie on the 'AFL Crowds & Ratings' thread - As a point of comparison, what did the NRL rate?

Not sure this includes the regionals:

On Seven’s primary channel in Melbourne and Adelaide the broadcaster aired the AFL match between Richmond and Carlton, with 798,000 metro viewers tuning in to watch the match which was played in an empty stadium due to coronavirus (COVID-19) restrictions. Nationally, 1.024m viewers watched the match which aired on 7Mate in the other states.

Nine aired the NRL match between the Canterbury Bulldogs and the North Queensland Cowboys with 337,000 metro viewers tuning in and 575,000 nationally. The match aired on Nine’s primary channel in Sydney and Brisbane and on 9Gem in the other capitals.

Not sure this includes the regionals:

On Seven’s primary channel in Melbourne and Adelaide the broadcaster aired the AFL match between Richmond and Carlton, with 798,000 metro viewers tuning in to watch the match which was played in an empty stadium due to coronavirus (COVID-19) restrictions. Nationally, 1.024m viewers watched the match which aired on 7Mate in the other states.

Nine aired the NRL match between the Canterbury Bulldogs and the North Queensland Cowboys with 337,000 metro viewers tuning in and 575,000 nationally. The match aired on Nine’s primary channel in Sydney and Brisbane and on 9Gem in the other capitals.

That's gotta be gutting to the rugby league trolls.

The AFL has pretty much doubled the nrl even including regionals . Smashed it on Foxtel too!

This little period should end the denial of the 3 hour factor

Remove this Banner Ad

Back