Play Nice 2020 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

SMH M. Chammas 26.3

"NRL players will be asked to take a 87% pay cut to ensure the survival of the sport if the governing body is forced to cancel the entire 2020 season".

Last edited:
I am interested to see if Motor Sports can generate any money from e-sports. They are in the best position to take advantage of this area. They have by far the best games of any sports. Still, not ideal for them but you think the experience of the GFC will hold them in good stead.

Probably my age but e -sports dont get me in. I can enjoy one car on the track when I know what they are trying to do.

Channel 9 100% Footy 24.3

RL legend P. Gould said (after it was announced the NRL would be suspended for at least 2 months)

"I can't see every club surviving. If this competition doesn't get onto the field this year..."

Many NSW NRL clubs exist only on major funding from their LC pokie palaces- which have also closed indefinitely. Titans also is weak financially.

Last edited:

This is the sport with 3 of the top 5 sports TV ratings

And hasn't used those earnings to good effect.
And does not have other good income flows.
I'm not alone in saying the NRL is deep trouble.
The NRL CEO has done the analysis and says the NRL is in deep trouble.
There are any number of media posts suggesting which NRL clubs will go down.
The NRL had ratings and now it has none.

"I can't see every club surviving"

Last edited:
And hasn't used those earnings to good effect.
And does not have other good income flows.
I'm not alone in saying the NRL is deep trouble.
The NRL CEO has done the analysis and says the NRL is in deep trouble.
There are any number of media posts suggesting which NRL clubs will go down.
The NRL had ratings and now it has none.

I'm not suggesting the NRL is not in deep problem territory.
Origin has underwritten their media dollars for years,& its very valuable. We AFL fans tend to want to compare the total dollars because the AFL come out on top & thats the extent of the analysis.
AS BBS pointed out some of the clubs & pokie palaces differ substantially from any AFL club.

Last edited:
I'm not suggesting the NRL is not in deep problem territory.
Origin has underwritten their media dollars for years,& its very valuable.

Yes and that is taken into account by people saying "in deep problem territory.".

We AFL fans tend to want to compare the total dollars because the AFL come out on top & thats the extent of the analysis.

Saying the NRL is not in a certain position because AFL people think the AFL is more valuable is senseless.

AS BBS pointed out some of the clubs & pokie palaces differ substantially from any AFL club. .

And as analysts of the NRL situation have already stated, those income streams have almost disappeared and are accumulating debt.

Yes and that is taken into account by people saying "in deep problem territory.".

Saying the NRL is not in a certain position because AFL people think the AFL is more valuable is senseless.

And as analysts of the NRL situation have already stated, those income streams have almost disappeared and are accumulating debt.
o_O

Forget it.

Most NRL clubs survive on big grants from their licensed clubs. If they are shut down for months on end, then that's another large revenue stream that has gone missing.

Perhaps a silver lining will be this somehow divorces NRL clubs from poisonous leagues clubs obsessed with pokies.

The news gets worse and worse for the NRL. Nine don't want to air NRL against their own coverage of the T20 World Cup in October. The AFL are lucky that there isn't a Test series on Seven in that time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most NRL clubs survive on big grants from their licensed clubs. If they are shut down for months on end, then that's another large revenue stream that has gone missing.

When you look at club revenue sources (for all codes), it's scary how few clubs have income sources that are only going to be reduced by this. Pokies gone, pubs gone, gate gone, sponsorships questionable if not gone, betting gone.

I wouldn't put any money down yet on what professional sport will look like in Australia in 2022

When you look at club revenue sources (for all codes), it's scary how few clubs have income sources that are only going to be reduced by this. Pokies gone, pubs gone, gate gone, sponsorships questionable if not gone, betting gone.

I wouldn't put any money down yet on what professional sport will look like in Australia in 2022

Remembering that clubs in NSW (e.g the Panthers) differ significantly to anything I'm aware of in the AFL.

There is no doubt an amateur version of any game could be up & running easily .... the professional version will be full of 'what about me' imho.

Remembering that clubs in NSW (e.g the Panthers) differ significantly to anything I'm aware of in the AFL.

There is no doubt an amateur version of any game could be up & running easily .... the professional version will be full of 'what about me' imho.

The donations the clubs get from the League's Clubs however will dry up* as the pokies that generate those contributions are shut down.

*Caveat is of course unless the league's club has built up a significant war chest. If they have these, all may be okay. That's a big assumption in NSW however

Alan Jones (the one time Wallabies* coach) has given RU another bollocking today:

'
Chris Scott, the AFL Geelong coach, has shown leadership by sacrificing his entire salary to save the jobs of other staff at his club.

There has barely been a murmur from Raelene Castle, Scott Johnson and Rob Penney, the latter having presided over woeful results with a gifted NSW side.

All three should at least waive their unearned salaries in order to save the community rugby program. Between them, they are being paid about $3 million of the $15 million staff budget at Rugby Headquarters.

Digest that, $15m.

The $3m on three people is the same amount spent on all community rugby in Australia.

The Wallabies play a dozen games a year, yet they spend $20m on player payments, $10m on camps, travel and accommodation and another $15m on high performance programs and staff which produce very little high performance.
We are talking about 15-20 full-time staff to coach the Wallabies for a dozen matches a season.

This explosion of full-time professional players and full-time coaches, trainers, physios, sports scientists et al. came about when the game went professional in 1996.
The word “professional” is thrown around loosely.
True professionalism bears no relationship to how much money goes into your pocket. True professionalism is a state of mind.

Remember, the staff for the Wallabies is replicated at the Waratahs, the Reds, the Brumbies, and the Rebels.

We are told these are the professional elite in our game, but they operate in a bubble, miles removed from grassroots rugby. And, indeed, make little contribution to it.'

* In 1984 Jones was elected coach of the Wallabies, taking over from Bob Dwyer, and coached Australia until early 1988. The team won 102 matches making him the most successful Australian rugby coach ever. His teams won 23 Tests out of 30, and four of those losses were by just a point.

Last edited:
The donations the clubs get from the League's Clubs however will dry up* as the pokies that generate those contributions are shut down.

*Caveat is of course unless the league's club has built up a significant war chest. If they have these, all may be okay. That's a big assumption in NSW however

The intriguing thing about these Leagues Clubs is how separate they view themselves as being relative to the actual football team, to such an extent that over the decades you would occasionally get Leagues Clubs making public statements that they weren't going to support the football team to the same degree any further, etc. They often act as if their support of the football team is an act of extreme generosity as opposed to ostensibly being the reason why they exist in the first place, as if the football team is a minor element of their operation, or is some sort of leech on their main business (being pokies).

That's a very, very different scenario to what we find in the AFL world - where there is no separation between the football club and the team (for want of a better descriptor). AFL clubs don't act as if they are forced to support their football operations - their primary purpose for existing is the fact that they do have football operations in the first place.

They often act as if their support of the football team is an act of extreme generosity as opposed to ostensibly being the reason why they exist in the first place, as if the football team is a minor element of their operation, or is some sort of leech on their main business (being pokies).

Sometimes League as in Returned Services League is mistaken for League in Rugby League, e.g Harbord Diggers is a Leagues Club.

The intriguing thing about these Leagues Clubs is how separate they view themselves as being relative to the actual football team, to such an extent that over the decades you would occasionally get Leagues Clubs making public statements that they weren't going to support the football team to the same degree any further, etc. They often act as if their support of the football team is an act of extreme generosity as opposed to ostensibly being the reason why they exist in the first place, as if the football team is a minor element of their operation, or is some sort of leech on their main business (being pokies).

That's a very, very different scenario to what we find in the AFL world - where there is no separation between the football club and the team (for want of a better descriptor). AFL clubs don't act as if they are forced to support their football operations - their primary purpose for existing is the fact that they do have football operations in the first place.

I am aware of that, but how they will review situations may differ now (covid-19 is changing a lot of things in significant ways)

I am aware of that, but how they will review situations may differ now (covid-19 is changing a lot of things in significant ways)

NRL clubs or AFL clubs, both?

Its a great opportunity to sort out both games, review the structure. See my post above on Rugby Union, I'd bet thats done the rounds of the staff still employed in both Aussie Rules & League.

NRL clubs or AFL clubs, both?

Its a great opportunity to sort out both games, review the structure. See my post above on Rugby Union, I'd bet thats done the rounds of the staff still employed in both Aussie Rules & League.

Everything. I think a lot of assumptions on revenues, spending, ownership, and what it takes to have a sustainable club in a sustainable comp are up for review

There's football leagues shutting thier doors all around Victoria, most likely the whole country. Maybe those getting off on the plight of RL might want to worry about that first.

You and Kawlity seemed to be the ones focussing on old themes.
My analysis has always been-
Amateur leagues and clubs will bounce back when the medical and economic issues are settled because they tend to hire rather than own.
Second tier and semi-pro leagues and clubs that have capital commitments and poor revenue streams will be most affected.
That probably applies equally across all codes.
At the professional level, the impacts will be great because all sports have lost media income and exposure
however there appears to be significant differences on the individual impacts due to differing setups.
Soccer and NRL have much smaller units so it easier for them to reform if they choose the right model.
For example they might choose promotion and relegation but almost certainly there will be major cuts.

You and Kawlity seemed to be the ones focussing on old themes.
My analysis has always been-
Amateur leagues and clubs will bounce back when the medical and economic issues are settled because they tend to hire rather than own.
Second tier and semi-pro leagues and clubs that have capital commitments and poor revenue streams will be most affected.
That probably applies equally across all codes.
At the professional level, the impacts will be great because all sports have lost media income and exposure
however there appears to be significant differences on the individual impacts due to differing setups.
Soccer and NRL have much smaller units so it easier for them to reform if they choose the right model.
For example they might choose promotion and relegation but almost certainly there will be major cuts.

:rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back