Play Nice 2020 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Mr V' sees himself as a benevolent dictator, thats his role at Racing NSW (i.e his day job is CEO is that body) & its been successful there.
He's a bit like Eddie at Collingwood (whats the name of their CEO?).

We've been through this before. There is simply no comparison between being CEO of racing NSW and being essentially executive chair of a $billion football competition. There is also a massive difference between heading up a code / league combined body and being president of one club. And even that, Collingwood's administrative problems when they occur seem to be generally a result of Eddie's inability to respect governance boundaries

For all the hagiographic boosting (particularly by news ltd), it looks like he has facilitated the sacking of the CEO on behalf of the media entities he was negotiating with and, according to the article above, he is now enabling the clubs "to have more involvement in running the NRL"

This is going to end in rivers of tears!

We've been through this before. There is simply no comparison between being CEO of racing NSW and being essentially executive chair of a $billion football competition. There is also a massive difference between heading up a code / league combined body and being president of one club. And even that, Collingwood's administrative problems when they occur seem to be generally a result of Eddie's inability to respect governance boundaries

For all the hagiographic boosting (particularly by news ltd), it looks like he has facilitated the sacking of the CEO on behalf of the media entities he was negotiating with and, according to the article above, he is now enabling the clubs "to have more involvement in running the NRL"

If you cant see the parallel between Eddie & Mr V' so be it.

When the Chair starts acting like the CEO, actually, not just like the CEO, as if he IS the whole organisation, it cannot end up any other way (and that's precisely where their TV deal is heading).

The majority of AFL fans would not even know the name of the Chair of the AFL Commission.

We'll have to wait and see what happens with the AFL's negotiations with 7 but this is a huge whack to the NRL.

Interestingly, V'Landys has signalled that there will be no cuts to the NRL salary cap in 2021 despite this significant fall in TV revenue. He has also guaranteed their players 80% of wages this year whilst the AFL achieved a 70% result of their player wage costs for this year.

I'm not sure that V'Landys' deserves all the plaudits he has been getting.

We'll have to wait and see what happens with the AFL's negotiations with 7 but this is a huge whack to the NRL.

Interestingly, V'Landys has signalled that there will be no cuts to the NRL salary cap in 2021 despite this significant fall in TV revenue. He has also guaranteed their players 80% of wages this year whilst the AFL achieved a 70% result of their player wage costs for this year.

The figures just don’t add up. Did nine give up something to get this deal?

No detail from Foxtel other than the deal extended to 2027:

“We have re-signed the deal with the NRL,” Foxtel chief executive Patrick Delany said. “It will go out now to 2027. That is an extraordinary eight years from now. What an amazing day it is. We went off air in March.

“It is a great lesson for all of us with what seemed impossible then is possible now. Some great leadership from the NRL. We are so proud to be part of it.”

V’landys thanked Delany and Marks for reaching an outcome that put the fans and the game’s future first.

“I am delighted to have worked with our longstanding partners Foxtel and Nine to reshape and resume the 2020 NRL Telstra Premiership,” V’landys said.

“It is significant that on one of the most important days in our game’s history, we have finalised the deals to ensure its future.

“Our negotiations were tough but always in a spirit of goodwill and shared ambitions for the betterment of rugby league. We could not have reached our May 28 restart ambitions without the teamwork and collaboration of our partners.”

“These deals provide certainty to ensure our 16 clubs remain strong and that we can continue to invest in grassroots rugby league across our communities.”

Under the resumed 2020 season deal:

- Foxtel will continue to show all eight games every round – including five exclusive telecasts each weekend;

I honestly didn’t think the reduction would be anywhere near that extreme. It’s almost getting three seasons for the price of two of the initial contract.

It had to be severe, FTA is under real pressure on revenue & costs.

No mention of the digital rights that were speculated on over the negotiations.

No detail from Foxtel other than the deal extended to 2027:

“We have re-signed the deal with the NRL,” Foxtel chief executive Patrick Delany said. “It will go out now to 2027. That is an extraordinary eight years from now. What an amazing day it is. We went off air in March.

“It is a great lesson for all of us with what seemed impossible then is possible now. Some great leadership from the NRL. We are so proud to be part of it.”

V’landys thanked Delany and Marks for reaching an outcome that put the fans and the game’s future first.

“I am delighted to have worked with our longstanding partners Foxtel and Nine to reshape and resume the 2020 NRL Telstra Premiership,” V’landys said.

“It is significant that on one of the most important days in our game’s history, we have finalised the deals to ensure its future.

“Our negotiations were tough but always in a spirit of goodwill and shared ambitions for the betterment of rugby league. We could not have reached our May 28 restart ambitions without the teamwork and collaboration of our partners.”

“These deals provide certainty to ensure our 16 clubs remain strong and that we can continue to invest in grassroots rugby league across our communities.”

Under the resumed 2020 season deal:

- Foxtel will continue to show all eight games every round – including five exclusive telecasts each weekend;
If this deal ties the NRL to Foxtel and its streaming (or future streaming) services, then this could be the be an absolute bust. Foxtel is dead, News Ltd is dead. The company don't really understand tech and by the the time they catch up to today's tech monsters, the caravan will have moved on again. NRL has been has been played by News Ltd

It's remarkable

In addition to the light touch reduction in player payments, it also seems like there has been no adjustment to club payments - and they are now going to be part of the process to rip $50 a year from the NRL's expenditure

9 look like they have effectively got close to what they were agitating for - not paying anything in 2020 - except that is spread over the remaining three years. And they give up nothing!

Foxtel get the rights out to 2027 at falling real contribution

The one group he has come down hard on is the referees!

The tears will flow for a decade :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If this deal ties the NRL to Foxtel and its streaming (or future streaming) services, then this could be the be an absolute bust. Foxtel is dead, News Ltd is dead. The company don't really understand tech and by the the time they catch up to today's tech monsters, the caravan will have moved on again. NRL has been has been played by News Ltd

FYI

While he was having a giggle about the AFL, I'd say more than one person in Docklands is having a bit of a giggle about this deal.
Its quite a hair cut
In an update to the stock exchange, Nine flagged projected savings of $27.5 million for 2021, the same amount for 2022 and an even greater saving for the current year given the modified season.Looks like about 80 million overall cut from CH 9.
It will be interesting to see how much Foxtel dropped!

It's remarkable

In addition to the light touch reduction in player payments, it also seems like there has been no adjustment to club payments - and they are now going to be part of the process to rip $50 a year from the NRL's expenditure
The tears will flow for a decade :)

Funding for junior development likely the big loser of that $50m cut. All in the context that participation is probably the code's biggest weakness with 2019 Ausplay data showing that in NSW that AF actually pips RL for club participation for those under 15.

All that praising of V'Landys has worked a treat. He was playing with the big boys on this deal and the smarter operators won big time!

#NRLBroncosEels 838,000 (Metro 535,000 Regional 303,000)

535k metro for a Thursday night looks pretty weak
I would’ve expected more though I imagine that doesn’t include Melb, Perth And Adelaide which was on a different channel? Also Fox? I imagine it’ll still be 1.1-1.2mil.

It’s hard to imagine something like blue heelers use to constantly get well over 2million when the population was over 20% less.

I get the feeling most people have lost their appetite for the footy this year, there is no real logical reason why community footy was not back weeks ago at the very least, WAFL footy is set for a early August return AFAIK a 9 round season with shortened quarters (16 min) unlike community footy relies on crowds to pay everyone, so maybe will just be canned as it will not be viable with no crowds.

I know most/some/all people will disagree with me and that's fine, but with the recently released and not publicized at all new mortality rates for covid by the American CDC which are 13/14 times lower than what was used and repeated 24/7 on our news cycles to enable all these lockdowns and job losses etc there is no logical reason why we are keeping up with this charade.

Kids footy/sport should never have stopped, just like school should never have stopped.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back