Play Nice 2020 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The NRL ratings on CH 9 Friday were nothing special considering the hype of it being the ONLY live sport on.
The early game got 311,000 across the 5 capitals and the later match had 493,000 to be equal 10th with the ABCs Gardening Australia.

i would be surprised if the AFL's are really any better, i really think people have lost the appetite, for what will be a cobbled together season, happy to be proven wrong

Not really. These are fairly average friday night numbers in these parts. Might be good for you though - Friday night ratings havent been exactly stellar for the NRL for years now.
300k on fox - 270k FTA Sydney. These are above average

I read somewhere where Telstra had lost $x00 million in the deal so their participation is questionable.

"In the past year or so News Corp has lent Foxtel $700 million, with Telstra giving $200 million"

"As Foxtel's future becomes ever more precarious, News has written down the value of its investment by $1.4 billion.
Telstra, which owns the other 35 per cent, has taken a $300 million hit."

Your comments are spot on, thats why the Foxtel NRL deal thru to 2027 is interesting.
My initial thinking when both News & Telstra wrote down their investments, clearing the decks, was a sign the News/Telstra partnership was unbundling.
As we go on its apparent Foxtel is not yet dead:

I understand Rupert & NewsCorp CEO Robert Thomson are in town, both have family here, but I'd say they will make time for Gil.

Excluding Telstra from that deal makes it very obvious the back half of it is going to be focused much more on Kayo.

That Telstra wrote down its investment rather than withdrawing suggests they see life in next iteration.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excluding Telstra from that deal makes it very obvious the back half of it is going to be focused much more on Kayo.

It actual masks the decline in value of the rights deal overall if the $200M per year includes the mobile telephony streaming rights as well (which it seems it does).

It actual masks the decline in value of the rights deal overall if the $200M per year includes the mobile telephony streaming rights as well (which it seems it does).

Fair comment if correct. Who held it pre covid ? I'd be surprised if the digital rights (in toto) were not argued over by Foxtel.

In the AFL negotiations do Telstra hold these rights?

Fair comment if correct. Who held it pre covid ? I'd be surprised if the digital rights (in toto) were not argued over by Foxtel.

In the AFL negotiations do Telstra hold these rights?

I'm pretty sure that Telstra pay an amount over and above the foxtel contributions for the mobile telephony "AFL Live" "NRL Live" streaming rights in the current deal.

Typical of an egotistical blowhard!

Why Annesley not V'landys deserves credit for ruck revolution
Andrew Webster

Andrew Webster
Chief Sports Writer
June 1, 2020 — 7.30pm
  • The person responsible for dramatically turning rugby league from wrestle-mania to Wild West shootout was not Peter V’landys — it was Graham Annesley.
That storyline won't appeal to the V’landys cheer squad but it’s true. They're shaking their pom-poms in the wrong place.

1. The NSW govt. has, on 1.6, cancelled its decision to refurbish, to rectangular mode with 72k capacity, Homebush Stadium. The $810m saving will be spent on post-covid job development programs.

2. The NRL will threaten the NSW govt. it will remove the Grand Final from Sydney, if it doesn't renovate (within 10 years) 4 Sydney suburban stadia (15-20k capacity each, with each costing $150-200m). The NRL want Penrith, Manly, & 2 sthn. Sydney stadia (probably inc. Campbelltown).

3. ABC 7.30 Report 1.6

RA is sacking over 40% of its admin. staff to avoid insolvency- it has also taken a $9m loan, & lost c.$9.5m in 2019.
N. Farr-Jones said RA has over 200 (140 are full time) staff, & over $20m pa is spent on it.

Community RU has been neglected, & RU is experiencing "a declining audience", & is facing "an existential crisis".
B. Papworth said "RA has spent $1.8b over the last 2 decades, where has it all gone"?

(Go to 22 minute 8 seconds- 29 m 37 secs.)

EDIT:

SMH R. Masters 30.5

RE V'landys, "He rejects as wrong the reported figure of $1.7b for a revised 8 year (Foxtel) 2020-2027 contract...".
"I think we did very well" V'landys said, pointing out Foxtel told the A League they face a 70% cut of the $57.6m they would have received for the next 3 years".
Is Foxtel only offering the A League $17.28 m pa?

V'landys is refusing to cite the details of the Rights' deal (but Nine has already given details of its deal to 2020-2022 to the ASX)-why the refusalThe NRL never cited commercial-in-confidence with previous deals.

Last edited:
3. ABC 7.30 Report 1.6

RA is sacking over 40% of its admin. staff to avoid insolvency.- it has also taken a $9m loan. N. Farr-Jones said RA has over 200 staff, & over $20m pa is spent on it.

Community RU has been neglected, & RU is experiencing "a declining audience", & is facing "an existential crisis".
B. Papworth said "RA has spent $1.8b over the last 2 decades, where has it all gone"?

The biggest lesson for all sports administrators is the difficulty RA had getting the auditors to sign off on the financials.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back