Play Nice 2020 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Why? There is a hyped world cup every 4 years. And every 4 years, the A league is going to piggyback the hype to success, and every 4 years, almost nothing changes. If having a world cup at home meant the a league got 5 x the bounce it gets from a normal world cup, that amounts to not much.

Hype for the womens word cup now is big, but that will last about a week. We arent even going to have to qualify, so that means the lead up games will all be friendlies. The hype for the world cup will start to return in the run up to it.

In the meantime, the AFLW will have had 3 full seasons.

My prediction is, the AFLWs 3 domestic seasons will bring about more growth in womens footy over the next 3 years than 1 month of the world cup brings womens soccer.

Very good post. I would say you are being conservative with your last sentence

Sure enough the soccer admin are going to try & use the opportunity for the blokes game:

'The Football Federation Australia chief executive was exultant on Friday morning when the joint bid with New Zealand for the 2023 Women’s World Cup was won, describing the upcoming tournament as a “game changer” for his code in this country.'

How often can the game shoot itself in the foot, make is a screaming success, then ride the wave that success brings.

Why? There is a hyped world cup every 4 years. And every 4 years, the A league is going to piggyback the hype to success, and every 4 years, almost nothing changes. If having a world cup at home meant the a league got 5 x the bounce it gets from a normal world cup, that amounts to not much.

Hype for the womens word cup now is big, but that will last about a week. We arent even going to have to qualify, so that means the lead up games will all be friendlies. The hype for the world cup will start to return in the run up to it.

In the meantime, the AFLW will have had 3 full seasons.

My prediction is, the AFLWs 3 domestic seasons will bring about more growth in womens footy over the next 3 years than 1 month of the world cup brings womens soccer.
qualifiers were normally attached on the women's Asian cup(held in India in 2022), so no loss. I can see a lot of big friendlies around against the world powers, who would love to play in Australia/NZ before the World Cup. Think US of A for certain. Even the FFA can sell that game to the population.

for me, it is the type of growth which could "change the game". The aim of this bid and hosting is to get female participation to 50% by 2027. its on the website. To showcase that the women's team is equal to the men in importance in this land. That football is not a mans game anymore, it is everyone's and you will be treated as such. of course, one 4 week tournament wont suddenly have the W-league being a full pro league equal to the a-league. But it is a step, and considering 2015 had the girls on strike for better pay/conditions, it shows progress towards this aim. The game has come a long way in 4-5 years with equal pay at the top level.

Womens football is going the same way as mens with the big European clubs starting to dominate and all the best players leaving. The days of Sam Kerr playing for Glory has ended. The W-league will always be small compared to AFLW. the domestic audience of the AFL is so much larger. But football has and always will be a great sport for kids of all ages and now, hopefully, and fully realised by those at the top of the FFA, all sexes.

Last edited:

qualifiers were normally attached on the women's Asian cup(held in India in 2022), so no loss. I can see a lot of big friendlies around against the world powers, who would love to play in Australia/NZ before the World Cup. Think US of A for certain. Even the FFA can sell that game to the population.

for me, it is the type of growth which could "change the game". The aim of this bid and hosting is to get female participation to 50% by 2027. its on the website. To showcase that the women's team is equal to the men in importance in this land. That football is not a mans game anymore, it is everyone's and you will be treated as such. of course, one 4 week tournament wont suddenly have the W-league being a full pro league equal to the a-league. But it is a step, and considering 2015 had the girls on strike for better pay/conditions, it shows progress towards this aim. The game has come a long way in 4-5 years with equal pay at the top level.

Womens football is going the same way as mens with the big European clubs starting to dominate and all the best players leaving. The days of Sam Kerr playing for Glory has ended. The W-league will always be small compared to AFLW. the domestic audience of the AFL is so much larger. But football has and always will be a great sport for kids of all ages and now, hopefully, and fully realised by those at the top of the FFA, all sexes.

What a very warm & fuzzy aim that is.
Why would you aim to be a full pro league equal to the a-league.
With respect the A-League model has a very low bar, if thats what the game is aiming for I am staggered.

The opportunity is to make the game even more appealing to sporting girls, we already see the best of the players able to earn a living around the world just as basketballers can, a better example than tennis as it is a team game.

Dont try to be like Europe, imho if you need a model look at the US & thats an opinion of a fan of sport, not a soccer tragic.

Try to make the womens game in Australia as big as the Matildas are internationally.
Dont let people with other agendas hijack this opportunity in pursuit of warm & fuzzy objectives - these people will want to use the WC , there should be no room for them to be the 'users' that they are (see the Stajic fiasco).

Sharpen your aim Bob, its a great opportunity.

The FFA had years on the AFL and NRL in terms of women's sport, and totally blew it.

For years they treated it as an afterthought. Some commentary on AFLW on BF is pretty bad, but it's nothing compared to the soccer forums, where for ages, what little was posted was predominantly negative.

I think actions have changed, I'm not sure mind sets have.

They will not be having Matilda matches in locked stadiums, to "save money" in the future anyway.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

I've always found that a strange argument
Australia's group matches in Perth and Melbourne at this year's Women's T20 World Cup had tiny crowds. Was it because those matches were played at 3pm on a weekday? Oh no, apparently it's because da sisterhood was too busy "whinging and complaining". That isn't a strange argument, it's an insane one.

The most recent figures available on this subject were released during the week:
...suggests females are 41% of the AFLW television audience. There are no problems that would be solved by that figure being at 60%. Women's sport needs more female and male viewers, simple as that.

People - women included - tend to prefer mens sport simply because it's better quality.
Bit too vague and sloppy there. Here's a more accurate statement:

Top female athletes run 80% as fast as top male athletes, jump 80% as high, throw and kick 80% as far (approximately). If they aren't bringing in 80% of the audience, it's because they aren't being given 80% of the opportunities.

But of course an overwhelming majority, thankfully, realise you can't just go from zero to 80 overnight.

The FFA had years on the AFL and NRL in terms of women's sport, and totally blew it.

For years they treated it as an afterthought. Some commentary on AFLW on BF is pretty bad, but it's nothing compared to the soccer forums, where for ages, what little was posted was predominantly negative.

I think actions have changed, I'm not sure mind sets have.

They will not be having Matilda matches in locked stadiums, to "save money" in the future anyway.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app
couldn't agree more. every football code has to fight the "Tayla Harris" crap, for a lack of a better reference. The former president of FIFA wanted the girls to wear shorter shorts after all. This explosion of women's sport in most sports this decade has been a welcome change but it is a long road.

It has been 50 years since Bille Jean King started the road to the WTA and equal pay in the tennis world. That is how long it takes to change mindsets and even then, it won't stop idiots saying stupid things. every step helps in the football codes, which is why I think this, overall, will be a great thing for all of them. More girls playing women sport means a bigger playing pool for all. Even in the men's game, we have a lot of cross-code athletes.
What a very warm & fuzzy aim that is.
Why would you aim to be a full pro league equal to the a-league.
With respect the A-League model has a very low bar, if thats what the game is aiming for I am staggered.

The opportunity is to make the game even more appealing to sporting girls, we already see the best of the players able to earn a living around the world just as basketballers can, a better example than tennis as it is a team game.

Dont try to be like Europe, imho if you need a model look at the US & thats an opinion of a fan of sport, not a soccer tragic.

Try to make the womens game in Australia as big as the Matildas are internationally.
Dont let people with other agendas hijack this opportunity in pursuit of warm & fuzzy objectives - these people will want to use the WC , there should be no room for them to be the 'users' that they are (see the Stajic fiasco).

Sharpen your aim Bob, its a great opportunity.
The A-league is a fully professional football league with a salary budget of 2.86 mil a year playing in front of average crowds of 10K or so. If it was a women's league, it would be one of the best ones in the whole world for a team sport. the W-league weren't even really paying players 5 years ago. the aim should be the fact that an Australian woman can play football(s) for a living in this country, without having to go Europe or play other sports or jobs

and Ash Barty>>>>>all other female sports stars in this country. Tennis rules. 17mil in prize money.

https://www.adnews.com.au/news/supercars-sponsors-race-to-foxtel No financial details.

'
'Mark Frain, Foxtel Media CEO, says the return of Supercars adds to the momentum of returning sports in Australia, and comes at a watershed moment for how audiences are engaging with sport.

"With multiple linear and digital channels in play, Foxtel and Foxtel Media’s new sport broadcasting model is attracting record audiences and increased viewer engagement," he says.

“As viewer habits evolve, Foxtel, Foxtel GO/NOW and Kayo are rapidly claiming the largest sports audience of any broadcast platform in Australia.

"Beyond the benefits of this scale, the streaming environment is also enabling outstanding integration opportunities.

"We look forward to working more closely with great partners such as Harvey Norman, BP, Ford, Supercheap Auto, and Shannon’s to push the boundaries of how sports and sponsorship add value to Australian Supercars fans, and sports fans more broadly.”

Tennis is not the best comparison. Imagine if we only the top 100 AFL or NRL players were paid real money to play, Thats tennis for you.
"please, they(the tennis players) would be in the top 100 if they gave the 100%" domi Theim, 3rd ranked player in the world.

I know all about the inequality of the tennis system. indeed, there it is a separate, non-discussed issue in the WTA caused by "inflated" prize money for certain events. Essentially a normal WTA only event has a significantly less income than the ATP event(a 250 event, to use an ATP term), it means there is a noticeable difference between the top 40(IIRC), who do well at the premier tournaments and grand slams to the rest of the top 100-200 and the rest. Compared to the ATP tour anyway. And dont get me started once you end up on the ITF circuit. Indeed, the way they are trying to fix this, by making qualifiers and first-round pay more at grand slams, might make it even worse by delaying the pain and cliff to nothingness.

that last sentence was more sarcasm to some of the crap I get here for being a "sokkah" fanboy. It gets tiresome to be put on a label, and especially, putting up with the crap on this forum from certain posters on this thread.

I will state that if the AFL was a basketball comp, like say, the NBA, then the top 200 player would be getting nothing, and Buddy would be on 5 mil plus. It is an issue with world sport overall. Tennis is at the extreme end, being a centralised solo sport. The AFL is "lucky" that it has such a big list that the top 400 do so well for themselves especially with how centralised the AFL system is at the top.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Australia's group matches in Perth and Melbourne at this year's Women's T20 World Cup had tiny crowds. Was it because those matches were played at 3pm on a weekday? Oh no, apparently it's because da sisterhood was too busy "whinging and complaining". That isn't a strange argument, it's an insane one.

The most recent figures available on this subject were released during the week:
...suggests females are 41% of the AFLW television audience. There are no problems that would be solved by that figure being at 60%. Women's sport needs more female and male viewers, simple as that.

Bit too vague and sloppy there. Here's a more accurate statement:

Top female athletes run 80% as fast as top male athletes, jump 80% as high, throw and kick 80% as far (approximately). If they aren't bringing in 80% of the audience, it's because they aren't being given 80% of the opportunities.

But of course an overwhelming majority, thankfully, realise you can't just go from zero to 80 overnight.

1593256347226.png

Where there be AFLW on the social media, dopey sokkah trolls be there

View attachment 901522

Where there be AFLW on the social media, dopey sokkah trolls be there
you dont have to be a sokkah troll to not understand how surveys work. It is a simple thing many people just can't get their head around.

TBH, i thought you would be able to find a better example. it is twitter after all. I am sure Wookie would have quite a list.

you dont have to be a sokkah troll to not understand how surveys work. It is a simple thing many people just can't get their head around.

TBH, i thought you would be able to find a better example. it is twitter after all. I am sure Wookie would have quite a list.

I didn't go looking for an example - I just opened the link on Teen Wolf 's post - to see the source of the great growth in interest for the AFLW.....and the only response to that link was a soccer troll making a fool of himself which I thought was topical on this thread :)

I think we will smash those crowd numbers in Australia.

The last women's soccer WC was in France, Europe. Not only can Europeans drive to France but flying to Europe is also well catered for.
Australia's tourism suffered greatly because of Australia's position. Every person I've met in Europe says Australia is just too far to travel.

They are going to get six games in a tournament that avg ~20,000 people last time.

Is that all? Six games?
Well it's already been decided that no games will be played at Optus Oval but instead some converted WAFL ground.
In W.A. at least, the game has found it's level.

Typically - Sam Kerr would earn the total AFLW budget.

And there lies a major problem. One player carrying the the whole focus and maybe money.
There are a number of high profile AFLW players and a number of those from overseas.
Basically each AFLW team has their own high profile player.
Soccer in Australia is like cricket used to be, where there was interest at international level but sparse at state level
until they re-invented cricket more recently.

The last women's soccer WC was in France, Europe. Not only can Europeans drive to France but flying to Europe is also well catered for.
Australia's tourism suffered greatly because of Australia's position. Every person I've met in Europe says Australia is just too far to travel.

Is that all? Six games?
Well it's already been decided that no games will be played at Optus Oval but instead some converted WAFL ground.
In W.A. at least, the game has found it's level.
I imagine there would be one group play there which is usually 6 games.
I think there are usually about 48 group games for the tournament. You would imagine 30 would be be in Australia maybe 36 at the most. We have the 5 big cities plus Canberra, Tassie and GC so there won’t be a lot of games in any one city.
That’s why I think we will smash their crowds. Surely each city has 20k people who would be super excited by it and another 100k people willing to go to a possibly once in a lifetime event, even if it doesn’t really excite them. I can’t stand women’s soccer but I know I’ll try and get tickets to at least one game and to any Matildas game in Melbourne or Sydney.

And there lies a major problem

:oops:
Lets see, golf no problem, tennis no problem, but soccer, of course .... big fish in a small bowl v small fish in a big bowl, stumbling & unable to see the bigger picture, the best in the world earn more than the best in Aus ..... but, but, but

I imagine there would be one group play there which is usually 6 games.
I think there are usually about 48 group games for the tournament. You would imagine 30 would be be in Australia maybe 36 at the most. We have the 5 big cities plus Canberra, Tassie and GC so there won’t be a lot of games in any one city.
That’s why I think we will smash their crowds. Surely each city has 20k people who would be super excited by it and another 100k people willing to go to a possibly once in a lifetime event, even if it doesn’t really excite them. I can’t stand women’s soccer but I know I’ll try and get tickets to at least one game and to any Matildas game in Melbourne or Sydney.

You are a sports fan :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back