Play Nice 2020 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Will an existing team go to make way for Brisbane 2?

That would be the sensible procedure.

what impact might this have on the Lions' ability to get fans?

The Lions ability to get fans has been clearly shown to be linked to their onfield performance.
Same with GWS, despite being surrounded by NRL clubs.
The Force, Rebels, Storm have not impacted the AFL in any way.

One of the AFLs present strengths in northern states outreach is primary school engagement,

But the AFL don't expect female primary school teachers to become coaches and push the code.

if the NRL gets their act together on this it could eat into Australian rules participation.

Gee, that sounds like AFL is the leading football participation sport in Qld.

Couple of interesting quotes:

We've known for a while that V’landys has been targeting expansion in Brisbane in the near future, this puts a concrete date on it. Will an existing team go to make way for Brisbane 2? And what impact might this have on the Lions' ability to get fans?

What's new is his focus on participation at primary school level, and specifically linking the new team to having the goal of increasing participation (in Brisbane, presumably). One of the AFLs present strengths in northern states outreach is primary school engagement, if the NRL gets their act together on this it could eat into Australian rules participation.
The second quote looks like it’s straight from the trump book of speeches...

That would be the sensible procedure.

The Lions ability to get fans has been clearly shown to be linked to their onfield performance.
Same with GWS, despite being surrounded by NRL clubs.
The Force, Rebels, Storm have not impacted the AFL in any way.

But the AFL don't expect female primary school teachers to become coaches and push the code.

Gee, that sounds like AFL is the leading football participation sport in Qld.

Gws crowds in Sydney higher in seasons before making gf.

Gws crowds in Sydney higher in seasons before making gf.

The difference between rusted on fans & casual fans.
Rusted on types are way more common in heartland states (e.g the Storm).

Casual fans jump on when a club is successful, stay home when not so successful.

Why would primary school teachers want to be trained to be RL coaches on top of all their usual responsibilities?

Wouldn't it make more sense to come in with pre trained coaches?

Why would primary school teachers want to be trained to be RL coaches on top of all their usual responsibilities?

Wouldn't it make more sense to come in with pre trained coaches?

Dunno, maybe they could get an allowance of a few grand a year from the NRL or something like that? But I guess that would require some investment from them to do that.

Dunno, maybe they could get an allowance of a few grand a year from the NRL or something like that? But I guess that would require some investment from them to do that.

I think it's part of the rugby league mentality - rugby league is the dominant professional sport in NSW so NSW is a rugby league state so everybody is enamoured with rugby league and will gladly assist in any way.

Well AFL is an AFL state and it's hard just to keep primary schools playing Australian Football (and other potentially dangerous sports) like they used to.
Teachers have a mind of their own starting with primary school teachers.
They are always complaining about something and I don't see them doing that will increase their workload.

I think it's part of the rugby league mentality - rugby league is the dominant professional sport in NSW so NSW is a rugby league state so everybody is enamoured with rugby league and will gladly assist in any way.

Which I guess is part of their problem as the game simply doesn't appear to have the *playing* culture in their heartland. That's a very hard thing to fix, because my experience is that kids want to play with their mates, and if none of their school friends are playing it can be a hard sell.

Well AFL is an AFL state and it's hard just to keep primary schools playing Australian Football (and other potentially dangerous sports) like they used to.
Teachers have a mind of their own starting with primary school teachers.
They are always complaining about something and I don't see them doing that will increase their workload.

I agree. Which is why you'd need to offer the cash incentive. But a few grand a year can get expensive if you have a thousand people on it.

Which I guess is part of their problem as the game simply doesn't appear to have the *playing* culture in their heartland. That's a very hard thing to fix, because my experience is that kids want to play with their mates, and if none of their school friends are playing it can be a hard sell.

Rugby league is the dominant professional sport in NSW but soccer is clearly the dominant participation sport in NSW.
When the ABS last did a census and not just a survey the results were staggering with rugby league participation only a fraction of
soccer participation and not that far in front of rugby union and Australian Football participation.
NRL was worried about AFL back then but it was more a case of soccer overshadowing contacts sports.

Which is why you'd need to offer the cash incentive. But a few grand a year can get expensive if you have a thousand people on it.

I'm not sure how that would work.
I know that when AFL brought in Auskick that was a quantum leap in providing an alternative to soccer in the early years.
Then modified football with the graduated increase in physicality, appeased the blessed-little-mothers worries about little Tommy.
With rugby league it's more difficult - basically tackle or no tackle with tackling being what rugby league is about.

With the introduction of AFLW, there is added pressure to cater for a sport that both genders can play at junior level.

I know that when AFL brought in Auskick that was a quantum leap in providing an alternative to soccer in the early years.
Then modified football with the graduated increase in physicality, appeased the blessed-little-mothers worries about little Tommy.

To be fair there has been modified rules for kids well before Auskick existed. When I was a kid it was called freeball and it was pretty much the same game as Auskick rules - although I remember we could slap the ball out of someone's hands back then.
What Auskick has done is provide the marketing side on a national basis.

Rugby league is the dominant professional sport in NSW but soccer is clearly the dominant participation sport in NSW.
When the ABS last did a census and not just a survey the results were staggering with rugby league participation only a fraction of
soccer participation and not that far in front of rugby union and Australian Football participation.
NRL was worried about AFL back then but it was more a case of soccer overshadowing contacts sports.

I'm not sure how that would work.
With rugby league it's more difficult - basically tackle or no tackle with tackling being what rugby league is about.

With the introduction of AFLW, there is added pressure to cater for a sport that both genders can play at junior level.

Ha - you can't take contact out of afl. You can with rugby's it's called touch!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting to see Amazon has picked up the rights to the Australian Swimming trials. Not sure what they paid for it, and I doubt it'll attract more than a tiny handful of subscribers. But I think it's more about the intent to buy up sports rights than anything else.

Anyone know how many subscribers Amazon has now?

Ha - you can't take contact out of afl.

What a totally idiotic and meaningless statement (rant ?).
Australian Football now starts with Auskick (Freeball) which is only catch, kick and maybe a little handball.
Then, modified football progresses through a range of contact - incidental, bump and finally tackle.

You can with rugby's it's called touch!!

Rugby is all about tackling. If you remove the tackling - then there is no rugby.
Touch football is simply a game of keepings off. If it wasn't for the "heel" then there would be no "football".
There is no rugby in touch football. There is only passing.

The thing is, you cannot put the contact into soccer. Boring, boring, boring - a complete lack of options.
Maybe you should look at Gaelic Football which makes soccer look interesting.
Contact sports can take the contact out but soccer cannot put any in.

What a totally idiotic and meaningless statement (rant ?).
Australian Football now starts with Auskick (Freeball) which is only catch, kick and maybe a little handball.
Then, modified football progresses through a range of contact - incidental, bump and finally tackle.

Rugby is all about tackling. If you remove the tackling - then there is no rugby.
Touch football is simply a game of keepings off. If it wasn't for the "heel" then there would be no "football".
There is no rugby in touch football. There is only passing.

The thing is, you cannot put the contact into soccer. Boring, boring, boring - a complete lack of options.
Maybe you should look at Gaelic Football which makes soccer look interesting.
Contact sports can take the contact out but soccer cannot put any in.

Do you believe what you say?? Touch isn't a game?? Tell the ppl who belong to leagues & others who represent Australia at world championships... & every kid who play as part of PE.

I play a union style touch game with no play the ball every week.

Meanwhile, pretty sure there are no afl touch league

Do you believe what you say?? Touch isn't a game?? Tell the ppl who belong to leagues & others who represent Australia at world championships... & every kid who play as part of PE.

I play a union style touch game with no play the ball every week.

Touch is a game, it is just a different game.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Do you believe what you say?? Touch isn't a game??

WTF. Do actually read what I say ? I said "Touch football is simply a game of keepings off."
it could be renamed "hot potato" to project a clearer picture.

Why do you bother posting here. You know nothing by the way you post.
I've already mentioned Auskick/freeball and modified Australian Football. Ok that's for juniors.
Have you heard of AFL 9s ? Big in Australia. Overseas they have mixed football and flag football.
If you want to play AFL without tackling then there is always Gaelic Football.

Couple of interesting quotes:

We've known for a while that V’landys has been targeting expansion in Brisbane in the near future, this puts a concrete date on it. Will an existing team go to make way for Brisbane 2? And what impact might this have on the Lions' ability to get fans?

What's new is his focus on participation at primary school level, and specifically linking the new team to having the goal of increasing participation (in Brisbane, presumably). One of the AFLs present strengths in northern states outreach is primary school engagement, if the NRL gets their act together on this it could eat into Australian rules participation.
Well it could get more competitive no doubt but longer term is the big question. It may test our strength up there if they get into the schools.
However do not think it will affect the female participation rate of 47% of all AFL players up there. Likely will decrease the AFL male rate further.

Further ? It's on the up.
Will add a bit more to my post.
I just think that with female at 47% participation already and future prospects up there looking good. The QLD male rate at 53% currently is low by any other State I think, but dont have any other states male figures presently so with an NRL push into schools primarily targeting boys is it maybe likely that the QLD male figure will continue to drop over time relative to the females.
Lots of speculation I know but have to have these discussions.
Late notes -Some Stats --
2019 -WA - 38% Female participation -62% male - female will increase slowly from that figure, which makes QLD figure outstanding.
2018 - VIC -26% " 74% male -Big female growth since 2018 so rate will be up considerably.
2020 a disaster for our game but it survived with the main AFL comp being held.
Can anybody find the Vic 2019 figures for above female info.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back