Remove this Banner Ad

Cmarsh

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2012
NSW
AFL Club
GWS
10121 for bbl final.

This highlights the difference between the bbl and more established comps like AFL and NRL.

With the latter, people just show up for a final despite the weather forecast, and in the case of interstate supporters will pay thousands for flights, accommodation and tickets to do so.

Bbl fans simply are not invested in the teams they follow to that extent. Sixers fans simply stayed home due to the weather.

How many stars fans would have made made the journey for the final? If I said a few hundred I would be being genourous.

10121 for bbl final.

This highlights the difference between the bbl and more established comps like AFL and NRL.

With the latter, people just show up for a final despite the weather forecast, and in the case of interstate supporters will pay thousands for flights, accommodation and tickets to do so.

Bbl fans simply are not invested in the teams they follow to that extent. Sixers fans simply stayed home due to the weather.

How many stars fans would have made made the journey for the final? If I said a few hundred I would be being genourous.

Silly comparison. With the AFL and NRL, if it rains you still play the game. Almost nobody believed there would actually be a game on at all.

Having said that, and totalling understanding the circumstances, I don’t think I can remember a game that was literally sold out ending up getting less than 25% of the capacity on the night ever before.

Do people here actually go to BBL games? It's clearly a summer-holiday-night-out for school-aged kids. Australia Day long weekend typically marks the end of that mindset/period for families.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ironically (and amusingly to me), the cricket went ahead and was played while the A-League local derby was cancelled.

Yeah i think there was a fair bit of embarrassment avoidance about the postponement....they don't even postpone games when the temperature is in the 40s!

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Yeah i think there was a fair bit of embarrassment avoidance about the postponement....they don't even postpone games when the temperature is in the 40s!
They do postpone games for 40C weather. They play them later in the day when it is not as hot.

And it is tough to play on a water-logged pitch. What the SCG crew did last night was outstanding

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
Very disappointing crowd for the Womens T20 Aust V England and now for the Bush fire match Junction Oval lucky to be half full. The ground only holds about 8,000 now. I thought it would be packed out with all the PR for the match on TV.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
They do postpone games for 40C weather. They play them later in the day when it is not as hot.

And it is tough to play on a water-logged pitch. What the SCG crew did last night was outstanding

The game was also going to be played at Jubliee where the drainage is nowhere near as good as the SCG‘s would be.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Very disappointing crowd for the Womens T20 Aust V England and now for the Bush fire match Junction Oval lucky to be half full. The ground only holds about 8,000 now. I thought it would be packed out with all the PR for the match on TV.
I think attending a T20 as a whole is a bit on the nose. I mean all the gimmick crap and horrible loud music played between balls is so annoying (one of the reasons i’ve stopped attending) there’s only so much you can take. Best to just stay home watch on TV and forget all that crap happens and actually watch some cricket.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
No,it was a poor crowd like nearly all the crowds to Womens soccer in Australia and I dont like my taxes being wasted on a sport very few care about going by the small crowds it gets even for international matches!

and there has been several like that if you want more. The Matildas have a nice place in the sporting market and its improvement has bee great. The girls deserve it for all their hard work.

And your taxes weren't wasted as I said it was more of a fox thing. I can't see your outrage post against the ABC for broadcasting golf as well. please, be consistent.

News Corp papers and media argument is - Australian Rugby Union, we helped build your game, you owe us, you have to take what we offer, then, that's it, no more will be offered by Foxtel. The Australian's Wally Stanton wrote this bias tripe on Thursday, ie Rugby Australia we have your best interest at heart, Optus don't. Yeah no self interest by the Murdochs.

.... The relationship between pay TV and major professional sporting codes has been a key factor in the growth of these sports in the past three decades. Lucrative rights deals between broadcasters and sports such as cricket, rugby league and AFL have injected huge amounts of money into the sports and made them what they are today.

The same can be said of rugby, which made the leap from the amateur era to professionalism hand-in-hand with Fox Sports. Fox has been actively involved in strengthening and developing all these codes – it’s in their interests. The stronger the sport, the more people who are involved and interested, the more eyeballs will be watching on TV.

The interests of Optus, on the other hand, lie not in contributing to the development of sport but in attracting subscribers to its phone services. Optus Sport charges a monthly fee for access to its English Premier League streaming service, but it is free if you subscribe to an eligible mobile or home phone plan......

Then on Saturday Wayne Smith wrote under the paper edition's headline of - Broken union: how News Corp taught rugby to be professional.

Rugby union and News Corp go back a long way to the days when rugby was amateur and News Corp was most definitely not, and over the last quarter century the two of them have been on an astonishing ride together.
In one sense News Corp was rugby’s saviour. In another, it loomed as potentially a major threat. As the skirmishing was starting to get more serious in rugby league, leading up to the birth of Super League in 1995, there was a very real danger that rugby could be swamped. If it came to open warfare – which it was just about to — the competition for players would be savage, with rugby being raided from left and right.
News Corp clearly was disappointed that Rugby Australia didn’t make a counteroffer to its preliminary bid — basically offering a repeat of the 2015 deal — and instead indicated it would be going to the marketplace, a process that seemingly will begin next week when it released its tender documents. RA believed what it was offering was worth more than in 2015
Just seems silly that the major players cannot break bread together. For one last time for old time’s sake. Or to work out ways to breath new life into an old but profitable partnership.

Then there is the almost daily attack by The Oz and daily Telegraph on AR, Chairman Cameron Clyde and in particular CEO Raelene Castle, be it by Allan Jones or Wally Mason or Wayne Smith or Jamie Pandaram

Nine/Fairfax papers - News Corp are speaking s**t. They will come back, its all part of the negotiation game.

In today's AFR Rear Window section

Our black summer has lent credence to the notion that News Corp’s very worst effect is its carriage of climate change denialism in the observance of ideological pluralism. Wrong. Far from it. None of its journalism is more ordinary than that which so readily savages any putative obstacle to its commercial interests. And nowhere is that craven genre more baldly practised than in its coverage of sports broadcast rights.

Holt Street’s newest victims are Rugby Australia and Foxtel’s competitor in the auction for rugby union’s next set of rights, Optus.

He then quotes much of the part of Wally Mason article i copied above and says - Wait on; only Optus wants to attract subscribers? Foxtel doesn’t?!

Irrational
Inventing Foxtel’s noble motives, old man Mason sure ain’t no Richard Ford. How do you write something so grotesquely irrational then show your face in a newsroom? Again, we suppose Lurch did it – and couldn’t get enough of the debasement; he could’ve sucked Tassie back to the mainland.

Also on Thursday, Sydney’s Daily Telegraph reported a “stunning development”: that Foxtel would “walk away” from rugby after “months of talks” with Rugby Australia “came to a halt on Wednesday".
News Corp would have Raelene Castle take the first deal she was offered (an extension of their status quo)? And how’d that go for Tennis Australia? To Federal Court with Harold Mitchell, specifically! Seven West Media got five years of the Australian Open for $195 million when Ten’s (then) chairman Lachlan Murdoch had offered to pay $250 million (ASIC alleges).

Strip away the histrionics and it sounds to us like Rugby Australia is running a competitive process, having drawn two bidders into it. As in, Castle is doing her job. And let’s face it, she’ll probably be announcing a new deal with Foxtel this time next week. If not, trust us, the sky won’t cave in – but Holt Street’s sportswriters will certainly continue their shilling for the suits upstairs, dishonouring their craft.

SMH today
Rugby Australia will include Foxtel in the list of parties invited to bid on its multimillion-dollar broadcast rights package, despite escalating tensions between the governing body and the Murdoch-controlled pay TV giant. Foxtel, alongside Australia's three commercial TV networks, digital giants such as Amazon and telecommunications giant Optus, will be asked to sign non-disclosure agreements this week, as Rugby Australia prepares to take its rights to an open tender for the first time in 25 years.
The process to secure rights to the Super Rugby provincial competition, Wallabies Tests and club rugby matches is expected to last for up to six weeks, sources involved who spoke on the condition of anonymity said. News Corp's newspapers have signalled the media giant is unwilling to participate in the rugby rights auction with a string of articles critical of Rugby Australia surfacing over the past week.

Foxtel chief executive Patrick Delany and other key figures are known to be deeply upset at Rugby Australia chief executive Raelene Castle’s decision to hold an auction for the rights. However, as of Sunday night, Foxtel had not formally conveyed the message to Rugby Australia that it would walk away from the process, sources said.

Georgina Robinson in today's SMH.

Eight years ago the NRL was so concerned about the solvency of broadcaster Channel Nine it negotiated an unprecedented $85 million advance payment as part of its $1.02 billion, five-year rights deal. The payment was to protect rugby league in the event Nine (now publisher of this masthead) went belly-up at any point during the term of the deal. In 2012, the free-to-air network was creaking under the weight of nearly $4 billion worth of debt. The entire year was dominated by talk the one-time cornerstone of billionaire Kerry Packer's fortune wouldn't make it into 2013.

Shane Mattiske, then the NRL's interim chief executive, pitched a deal in which Nine would pay the fifth year up front. Nine accepted and the ARL Commission pocketed $85 million before the clock had even started on the first year of the deal. Despite poor results on Friday that showed Foxtel, Foxtel Now, Foxtel Go and Kayo subscriptions are all falling, there is no suggestion Foxtel is in as parlous a financial state as Nine was back then.

But the NRL's play in 2012 highlights that it is not only broadcasters who weigh risk in broadcast negotiations. Sports place their prospects for exposure and growth in the hands of broadcasters and must take a hard look at competing business models when they sign multi-year deals.

As reported in the Herald's media section on Monday, Rugby Australia will this week send out non-disclosure agreements to Foxtel, Optus, Amazon, Rugby Pass and Australia's three commercial free-to-air networks.
The agreements are the precursor to the sport's first open-market tender process for the broadcast rights to its club-to-Wallabies schedule until the end of 2025. Not all those parties will sign and return them, but by week's end the ones who have are the ones that will be regarded as seriously interested in what the next five years of Australian and international rugby has to offer their businesses.

That Foxtel is on that list gives the lie to five days of furious speculation that the majority News Corp-owned pay television provider has walked away from the game it helped champion for the past 25 years. That Optus is there too confirms its interest is real in growing its sport business beyond several levels of football. It does not guarantee a bid at the end of the process but it suggests, with former FFA director and new chief executive Kelly Bayer Rosmarin at the helm, it is seriously weighing one up.

Now, the waiting game. At this point in the process and despite the heavy-handed News Corp spin, RA remains confident both Fox Sports and Optus will still be there at the pointy end. Fox Sports because the Rugby World Cup and the new Super Rugby season contributed to spikes in Kayo subscriptions, and Optus because the telco wants sports with deep and loyal fan bases.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
The interests of Optus, on the other hand, lie not in contributing to the development of sport but in attracting subscribers to its phone services. Optus Sport charges a monthly fee for access to its English Premier League streaming service, but it is free if you subscribe to an eligible mobile or home phone plan......

I'm a bit skeptical of their reported Optus sport subscribers for that reason. I've got Optus sport as I have an optus mobile. It made no impact on my decision to sign up with Optus, and i've watched it about 5 times in the last 12 months. So i'm not what you call an overly engaged subscriber. Which makes me wonder how many of their 850,000 Optus sport subscribers are some of their 10 million or so mobile customers that simply get it for free but don't really watch it much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong

and there has been several like that if you want more. The Matildas have a nice place in the sporting market and its improvement has bee great. The girls deserve it for all their hard work.

And your taxes weren't wasted as I said it was more of a fox thing. I can't see your outrage post against the ABC for broadcasting golf as well. please, be consistent.

Golf is way more popular in Australia than womens soccer so it should be on TV!!

"Nowadays golf is Australia's number one participant sport and more than 460,000 Aussies belong to a golf club. 1.3 million people Australian population play golf. With more than 1,800 golf courses to choose from, the variety is staggering?.

Last edited:
Golf is way more popular in Australia than womens soccer so it should be on TV!!

"Nowadays golf is Australia's number one participant sport and more than 460,000 Aussies belong to a golf club. 1.3 million people or approximately 10% of the adult Australian population play golf. With more than 1,800 golf courses to choose from, the variety is staggering?.
What is 13 million people supposed to represent if 10% is 1.3m?

Population u/18 in Oz was about about 5.61m as at 30 June 2019 and total population was 25.29m.

So that leaves 19.6m people 18+ years of age. What do the other 6m represent?

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
I think attending a T20 as a whole is a bit on the nose. I mean all the gimmick crap and horrible loud music played between balls is so annoying (one of the reasons i’ve stopped attending) there’s only so much you can take. Best to just stay home watch on TV and forget all that crap happens and actually watch some cricket.
The official crowd was only 3500!Which is a shocker.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth

"Nowadays golf is Australia's number one participant sport and more than 460,000 Aussies belong to a golf club. 1.3 million people Australian population play golf. With more than 1,800 golf courses to choose from, the variety is staggering?.
wow, I make sure to use participation rates next time someone points out the A-League ratings. Sure that will be popular on this board and also very relevant. Thank you.

The official crowd was only 3500!Which is a shocker.
your definition of a shocker needs some work. Would they have hoped that it would have been full at a whole 7K? Yes. But it still looked good on TV and it was moved 3 days before.

it also had good ratings for the timeslot, which is what I think everyone would be more happy about.

Will also add that this shocker of a crowd was probably one of biggest crowd at the Junction Oval for a number of years(no stats on that)

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
... The relationship between pay TV and major professional sporting codes has been a key factor in the growth of these sports in the past three decades. Lucrative rights deals between broadcasters and sports such as cricket, rugby league and AFL have injected huge amounts of money into the sports and made them what they are today.

The message is valid for all sports/administrators.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Australian socccer has picked its course and that course is franchise league that treads water in a mostly equalised competition.

& https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02...-sold-to-london-group-tony-sage-says/11957626

A "very emotional" Perth Glory owner Tony Sage says he is close to finalising a deal to sell the majority of his stake in the A-League club to a London-based cryptocurrency group, but has assured fans the club's name, colours and "heritage" will be retained.

Key points:
  • A new group, the London Football Exchange, is set to buy Perth Glory
  • Tony Sage says he waited for the right deal to protect Glory's heritage
  • He is hoping to reach a deal within 48 hours to sell 80 per cent of the club

The millionaire businessman has been the sole owner of the Glory since 2009.

But Mr Sage said he was no longer able to compete with the financial power of other A-League clubs and had been looking for an investment partner for the past 18 months.

"Last year's loss was about $2.9 million, which is a huge loss to take on by myself," he said.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Just when you thought A-League ownership hijinks couldn't get any more interesting.....a dubious foreign cryptocurrency mob!

So Sage gets rid of 80% and suddenly becomes chairman of the group that bought it. At the same time Cape Lambert is nearly worth literally zero. This has asset dissipation written all over it. My guess is that he didn't receive a cent for this, he's swapped his Glory shares for some interest (no doubt held through a questionable offshore trust that is impossible to trace) in LFE. Creditors can't seize an asset that they can't prove he owns.

As a supporter i'd have 1 major question - how are the annual losses going to be financed?

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
wow, I make sure to use participation rates next time someone points out the A-League ratings. Sure that will be popular on this board and also very relevant. Thank you.

your definition of a shocker needs some work. Would they have hoped that it would have been full at a whole 7K? Yes. But it still looked good on TV and it was moved 3 days before.

it also had good ratings for the timeslot, which is what I think everyone would be more happy about.

Will also add that this shocker of a crowd was probably one of biggest crowd at the Junction Oval for a number of years(no stats on that)

The big surprise was the lack of Indian supporters seeing that their cricket god Tendulkar was there.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
And it gets better!

Sage announces there's no deal:

This comes after public statements from both Perth Glory and LFE, both of which Sage is chairman of, that announced a deal!

And the chaser:
"Any new concept that people don't get, we are all sceptical about, myself included, hence my trip to London for 3 days to check them out."

Skeptical? Check them out? He's chairman of the company!

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
The big surprise was the lack of Indian supporters seeing that their cricket god Tendulkar was there.
actually, on Indians supporters, the Cricket Australia youtube page has 4.7mil subs. The big bush highlights alone has 12 mil views. that is a huge number for any sport. got me intrigued so here is a small selection of sub numbers on youtube

myfootball(FFA) 40K
NRL(on nine)94K
Optus Sport 111K
Super Rugby 164K
AFL 174K
WTA 207K
ATP 407K
Aussie Open 455K
EPL 750K
NHL 1.4M
MLB 2.1M
Cricket Aus 4.7M
ICC 6M
NFL 6.3M
NBA 13.3M
WWE 54.5M

Just found the actual scope of India online interesting. It is not new info. The most twitter followers in Aus.sport are heavy on the cricketers for this very reason. Plus the numbers don't mean much in isolation, as things like quality of channel would distort the numbers(hey EPL/WWE), and its relevance for an Australian audience is "questionable" but it piqued my interest nonetheless.

Now, to get back to watching the highlights of Tasmania's total of 78 v Queensland in the shield today. *sigh*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back