Play Nice 2020 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
I guess Rugby is in the most trouble.
The NRL may force a merger in Sydney or lose a club to make way for a new Brisbane side. Huge debts for possibly decades.
AFL will get through is with all clubs but will be paying off debt for near 10 years and We will see huge changes in the financial workings of the league/sport.
A-League. Depends on Fox. They will get through it the best or be in the most strife.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
I dont think the A-league will be the same. Its could go many ways. Though the A-league clubs have played a lot of there season, the league itself will miss out on that finals income. It could lose a TV deal. And the soccer winter season with the NPL is basically in the same boat as anyone else. But they are not professional, so should be able to survive, as long as they didn't rely on other sources of income like clubs and bars. This also means regos might not be paid, which is quite a lot of money left off the table for a sport like soccer.

I honestly think a 2nd div is closer than before. If the A-league is forced to downsize due to a loss of TV income, then that gap between the NPL and the pros will get a lot smaller. But it could go in many ways.

Basketball's NBL1 comps are in limbo and Perth and Sydney missed out on that sweet finals money. But they will be fine. Kestelman will still be rich after this. It will be interesting to see if the Tassie NBL team goes ahead. I reckon it will, as Tassie will need to reboot its tourism industry.

Cricket is in the best shape. They have 8 months before it really impacts them. In saying that, Cricket Australia will be hoping India are allowed in the country.

NRL are in a world of hurt. A lot of income comes from clubs and pubs in Sydney. TV rights as well I can't see how every single Sydney NRL club survives this. they were so desperate to play. tells you something.

AFL should be fine as they have assets. Land is always worth something, It is going to hurt and has set the league back 10 years.

Rugby Union is about to go through a soccer-like reboot. Super Rugby is screwed. It needs it.

I am interested to see if Motor Sports can generate any money from e-sports. They are in the best position to take advantage of this area. They have by far the best games of any sports. Still, not ideal for them but you think the experience of the GFC will hold them in good stead.

Horse racing will be hoping this ends before Spring. When they shut down the midweek betting racing meets, it will hurt a lot of trainers and horses(they will be killed). You still gotta pay people to look after horses. But they will restart the quickest as human interaction is limited. Still, they would get a LOT of money from the Spring Carnivals and would hope they can have 100K people. And who knows, an Aussie Horse might actually win the Melbourne Cup.

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
"IMO it was the opposite, The A-league had growth due to the hype and un-natural growth.
People keep interpolating and projecting growth for no specific reason other than "it's the world game - it must eventually succeed".
Australia's population has more than doubled in 50 years solely from immigration,
yet the AFL, NRL, RU and soccer have basically held their relative positions.
That means soccer has lost out big time w.r.t. the huge influx of people normally considered to follow soccer."
[/QUOTE]

Yes I have always found that a curious fact.
With all the millions of migrants since WW2 that have come to our shores and many of them soccer fans from the old country that soccer is no more popular now than 30 - 40 years ago.Maybe population wise even less so now!

It now looks like all those "soccer will take over Australia and kill off Australian Football and RL" predictions when I was a kid were wildly optimistic.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
"IMO it was the opposite, The A-league had growth due to the hype and un-natural growth.
People keep interpolating and projecting growth for no specific reason other than "it's the world game - it must eventually succeed".
Australia's population has more than doubled in 50 years solely from immigration,
yet the AFL, NRL, RU and soccer have basically held their relative positions.
That means soccer has lost out big time w.r.t. the huge influx of people normally considered to follow soccer."

Yes I have always found that a curious fact.
With all the millions of migrants since WW2 that have come to our shores and many of them soccer fans from the old country that soccer is no more popular now than 30 - 40 years ago.Maybe population wise even less so now!

It now looks like all those "soccer will take over Australia and kill off Australian Football and RL" predictions when I was a kid were wildly optimistic.
[/QUOTE]
that view was so 2006-2010, people have woken up a lot since then imo.

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
The difference for sports like soccer & baseball is ALL the top Aussie talent goes chasing the opportunity to perform at the highest level,

A difference (not the only difference) for sports like soccer & baseball is all the top Aussie talent (in those sports) goes chasing the opportunity to perform at the highest level.
Another difference (not the only difference) for sports like soccer & baseball is that their potential talent (in those sports) is lost to other professional sports within Australia.

Soccer quite possibly could attract more people if it's elite players remained in Australia
but on balance soccer loses the promotion of players playing overseas.
This is like R.U. where there is a rift between the balance of playing national or international.
The beauty about Australian Football is that Australians don't worry about overseas performances or even interstate performances
because the tribal club is king.

All-in-all you have to say that soccer has performed pretty poorly overall.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
A difference (not the only difference) for sports like soccer & baseball is all the top Aussie talent (in those sports) goes chasing the opportunity to perform at the highest level.
Another difference (not the only difference) for sports like soccer & baseball is that their potential talent (in those sports) is lost to other professional sports within Australia.

Soccer quite possibly could attract more people if it's elite players remained in Australia
but on balance soccer loses the promotion of players playing overseas.
This is like R.U. where there is a rift between the balance of playing national or international.
The beauty about Australian Football is that Australians don't worry about overseas performances or even interstate performances
because the tribal club is king.

All-in-all you have to say that soccer has performed pretty poorly overall.

I'd say Soccer got further head of itself than sport more generally & fortunately for the sports fan that I am, only Union is in the same trouble the FFA is - Soccer should look at Baseball for restructuring not the AFL or NRL.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'd say Soccer got further head of itself.

Yes, it was/is soccer's arrogance that is it's problem.

only Union is in the same trouble the FFA

R.U. is in a completely different situation to soccer except for the trouble side of things.
The options for R.U. are completely different to those of soccer.

Soccer should look at Baseball for restructuring not the AFL or NRL.

I'm not sure about baseball. Baseball was poised to be a strong national sport and then collapsed. You don't hear about it now.

If you look to the NRL then you'll notice they play mostly to their strengths - NSW and Qld. That's where rl can survive.
If you look to the AFL then you'll notice just how much money they invest prior to any changes.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
I dont think the A-league will be the same. Its could go many ways. Though the A-league clubs have played a lot of there season, the league itself will miss out on that finals income. It could lose a TV deal[Appears Fox might withdraw early, in 2020]

SMH V. Rugari 18.3.20

Rugari stated, re the A League

"Multiple sources within the sport have expressed anxiety about what Fox could do if the A League is forced into a hiatus...The A league's failure to meet any obligations could be used as a way out of the contract altogether".

"...Didiluca said the professional game in Australia would collapse without the ongoing support of Fox".

Last edited:

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
SMH V. Rugari 18.3.20

Rugari stated, re the A League

"Multiple sources within the sport have expressed anxiety about what Fox could do id the A League is forced intoa hiatus...The A league's failure to meet any obligations could be used as a way out of the contractall together".

"...Didiluca said the professional game in Australia would collapse without the ongoing support of Fox".

Foxtel itself is on life support and will surely lose many more customers during this crisis - me included.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Foxtel itself is on life support and will surely lose many more customers during this crisis - me included.
I think, unless the bigger parent companies save them, most sports channels are in big trouble if the lockdown is long. They will either die or be on life support by the end of this. They have no content.

We might see this as the turning point in TV Coverage of sports. From the TV medium to online, via some of the only companies who will profit from this catastrophe, Netflix, Amazon Prime etc.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
SMH M. Chammas 20.3

Chammas said

''...ESPN executives have told the NRL there is a strong appetite to open discussions when the code is ready to negotiate its next TV rights deal for 2023 & beyond...later this year".

This is very good news for the NRL.

Combined with the recent news that it is very likely a professional RL team will be based in New York, & will play in Britain, these developments provide a major boost for the NRL, & RL in general (notwithstanding the current crisis).

An opposite possibility for the NRL is D. Lockeyer, predicting in the Courier Mail on 20.3, that the NRL is likely to be a 12-14 team competition in 2021 -due to a financial crisis.

Last edited:

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
these developments provide a major boost for the NRL, & RL in general (notwithstanding the current crisis).

I don't see a major boost to the NRL at all.
In fact, in the present climate, I don't see it as being a major boost to the troubled English r.l.
International competitions, especially long-distance ones are problematical.
I'm sure the NRL are more worried about losing NRL teams than any possible overseas gains for r.l. in general.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
1. The Australian J. Stensholt 24.3

"A cancellation of the season would allow Fox Sports to send FFA a breach letter giving the governing body 10 days' notice of termination of the deal".

There is a possibility or probability that Fox will cancel soon its very low rating A League coverage- worth c. $48m pa in cash, & c. $10m pa in contra free advertising (but only when 2 new clubs are added in major metro cities ie from start of Oct. 2020 season).

2. EDIT:

Courier Mail T. Meyn 24.3

"The suspension of the premiership will deliver a catastrophic financial blow to the game, with the NRL facing the possibility of folding if it cannot secure government assistance & resume the season this year".

Last edited:

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
There is a possibility or probability that Fox will cancel soon its very low rating A League coverage- worth c. $48m pa in cash, & c. $10m pa in contra free advertising (but only when 2 new clubs are added in major metro cities ie from start of Oct. 2020 season).

I would imagine that this situation gives Fox the ability to re-negotiate the deal and with fox getting a heavily discounted deal due to the previous poor ratings
and thus paying a lot less than a realistic figure for some time. Soccer would have to accept the deal without any other foreseeable options.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Courier Mail T. Meyn 24.3
"The suspension of the premiership will deliver a catastrophic financial blow to the game, with the NRL facing the possibility of folding if it cannot secure government assistance & resume the season this year".

If the NRL could bury it's pride then it could be reborn as a vibrant suburban league, playing in suburban stadiums with much lower salary caps etc.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
1. R. Masters 25.3

Masters' views on the value of nrl.com & DS.

He fails to mention that the AFL is able to obtain a bank loan (probably NAB), at very low interest rates, by offering DS as security for the loan- & this probability almost makes it certain that the AFL will retain all its 18 clubs & 14 AFLW teams during the ongoing financial crisis/recession/depression.

2. The banks, when considering the risk factors on repayment of their ($500m?) loan, would be pleased that, re DS:-

. is an income-producing asset (when the covid-19 crisis is over)- which assists in paying the interest on the bank loan (along with the AFL's usually reasonable cash flows, & history of reasonable profits).

. AFL cash flows & net profits can easily be enhanced when (as appears inevitable) AFL slashes its distributions to the Clubs. It is very likely the AFL clubs will slash their Football Dept. expenditures (not including player wages) of $200m pa.

. is in the Docklands precinct- where land values have been rising strongly.

. there has been a shortage of "Prime" office space in the CBD; & new offices & high rise residential developments have been booming in Docklands.

. is literally on the edge of the CBD (with superb Public Transport infrastructure); & offers some harbour views.

. plans are being made (with State govt. support, to promote the Docklands' area general appeal) to incorporate 365 days a year restaurants/rooftop bars/night clubs/Convention & Reception facilities etc. on DS footprint (after the AFL removes its offices from DS). This will produce further profits for the AFL (& please the lenders).

The new DS will be re-modelled on Soldiers Field Stadium, Chicago- one of the world's best 365 day pa stadium/general entertainmnent venues.

. As a Not For Profit, the AFL is not required to pay for DS Land Tax, council rates, or water rates on its very valuable land (worth c. $1 billion+ for the land only?). Lenders are pleased, re their risk on the loan.

. is very close to the approved projects at Fisherman's Bend-Montague (South & Port. Melb. vicinity); & $7 billion (today's $) Arden -Nth Melb.- where the new underground metro station will be (& valuable govt. paid sunk costs, benefitting DS).

These 2 projects, to be completed over c. 20-30 years, will add c. 150,000+"higher" income high rise appartment residents, & office workers.

EDIT:1

New AFL DS Development Plans & Photos (Will generate for the AFL much greater profits- 365 days pa entertainment venue). It will cost c. $300m, & be mainly facing Harbour Esplanade.

(see post#1123 for photos etc.)

EDIT 2:

More details re DS revamp.

EDIT :

New Fishermans Bend Project

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Sounds terrible. Who's going to pay to broadcast that?

Isnt the Bris local Rugby Union televised, the Sydney equivalent as well, poverty pack coverage but if coverage concerns you its possible, same as WAFL, SANFL & other 2nd tier comps.

Bit hard to telecast if there no product.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Isnt the Bris local Rugby Union televised, the Sydney equivalent as well, poverty pack coverage but if coverage concerns you its possible, same as WAFL, SANFL & other 2nd tier comps.

Bit hard to telecast if there no product.

If the NRL drops down to state competition quality the audience will drop off with it.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
More speculation that Fox Sports is soon likely to cancel its Rights' sponsorship of the A League, worth c. $45 m pa ($50m when new Sydney club starts in Oct.2020),+ free contra advertising.

"...without the Fox money, the A League in its current form is unsustainable...some clubs could simply disappear...".

Back