Play Nice 2020 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Mr V'L doing his day job, anyone betting against him?

Racing NSW chief executive Peter V’landys wants crowds back at the races — beginning with owners — as early as next week and he is holding talks with the state government in a bid to make it happen.

V’landys said on Tuesday morning it would come down to risk analysis and he believes the risk surrounding COVID-19 is now extremely low.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Mr V'L doing his day job, anyone betting against him?

Racing NSW chief executive Peter V’landys wants crowds back at the races — beginning with owners — as early as next week and he is holding talks with the state government in a bid to make it happen.

V’landys said on Tuesday morning it would come down to risk analysis and he believes the risk surrounding COVID-19 is now extremely low.

I'm betting against he's done good by the nrl long term

Whether or not he can successfully publically lobby this NSW government to allow punters back at the races.....I wouldn't bet against

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
Very interesting https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/st...nials-watching-nrl-on-tv-20200603-p54z6u.html

A battle for NRL streaming rights could be on the horizon after revelations an alarming number of young viewers are switching off rugby league on television.

Statistics released by Roy Morgan on Wednesday indicate that NRL TV viewers under the age of 34 have dropped 10 per cent in the past four years.

Viewership has declined across all age groups, but it is the drop in the young demographic that will be of most concern at Rugby League Central.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Very interesting https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/st...nials-watching-nrl-on-tv-20200603-p54z6u.html

A battle for NRL streaming rights could be on the horizon after revelations an alarming number of young viewers are switching off rugby league on television.

Statistics released by Roy Morgan on Wednesday indicate that NRL TV viewers under the age of 34 have dropped 10 per cent in the past four years.

Viewership has declined across all age groups, but it is the drop in the young demographic that will be of most concern at Rugby League Central.

Bit more info on the renewal process.
I'm surprised Foxtel did not look after Telsta over the streaming rights aligned with its contract extension to 2027.

Telstra has confirmed that Australia’s National Rugby League (NRL) will prevent the telecommunications firm from streaming games from 2023, with organisers instead attempting to strike a five-year broadcast extension with the Nine Network.

The decision comes days after the NRL agreed a broadcast extension with Foxtel, for which Telstra owns 35 per cent, through to 2027. The deal stipulates that Foxtel is prohibited from selling on the digital rights for the new cycle, having previously been entitled to as part of a five-year, AUD$100 million (US$69 million) agreement.

“We are ... disappointed to learn the NRL, through their agreement with Foxtel, has decided not to make those digital rights on mobile available beyond 2022,” a Telstra spokesperson told the Sydney Morning Herald.

“We have not been a party to those discussions and will obviously need to engage with the NRL to understand what the implications are for our partnership in the long term.”

Though the decision will surely irk Telstra, the NRL’s title sponsor, the league’s rationale is reportedly that protecting its streaming rights will mark up its value ahead of fresh negotiations with Nine, which could reportedly take place as early as next month.

Last edited:

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bit more info on the renewal process.
I'm surprised Foxtel did not look after Telsta over the streaming rights aligned with its contract extension to 2027.

Telstra has confirmed that Australia’s National Rugby League (NRL) will prevent the telecommunications firm from streaming games from 2023, with organisers instead attempting to strike a five-year broadcast extension with the Nine Network.

The decision comes days after the NRL agreed a broadcast extension with Foxtel, for which Telstra owns 35 per cent, through to 2027. The deal stipulates that Foxtel is prohibited from selling on the digital rights for the new cycle, having previously been entitled to as part of a five-year, AUD$100 million (US$69 million) agreement.

“We are ... disappointed to learn the NRL, through their agreement with Foxtel, has decided not to make those digital rights on mobile available beyond 2022,” a Telstra spokesperson told the Sydney Morning Herald.

“We have not been a party to those discussions and will obviously need to engage with the NRL to understand what the implications are for our partnership in the long term.”

Though the decision will surely irk Telstra, the NRL’s title sponsor, the league’s rationale is reportedly that protecting its streaming rights will mark up its value ahead of fresh negotiations with Nine, which could reportedly take place as early as next month.

Surely it is because they looked after themselves?

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos

Has the NRL just discovered that young people don't watch TV?

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
1. The NSW govt. has, on 1.6, cancelled its decision to refurbish, to rectangular mode with 72k capacity, Homebush Stadium. The $810m saving will be spent on post-covid job development programs.

2. The NRL will threaten the NSW govt. it will remove the Grand Final from Sydney, if it doesn't renovate (within 10 years) 4 Sydney suburban stadia (15-20k capacity each, with each costing $150-200m). The NRL want Penrith, Manly, & 2 sthn. Sydney stadia (probably inc. Campbelltown).

3. ABC 7.30 Report 1.6

RA is sacking over 40% of its admin. staff to avoid insolvency- it has also taken a $9m loan, & lost c.$9.5m in 2019.
N. Farr-Jones said RA has over 200 (140 are full time) staff, & over $20m pa is spent on it.

Community RU has been neglected, & RU is experiencing "a declining audience", & is facing "an existential crisis".
B. Papworth said "RA has spent $1.8b over the last 2 decades, where has it all gone"?

(Go to 22 minute 8 seconds- 29 m 37 secs.)

EDIT:

SMH R. Masters 30.5

RE V'landys, "He rejects as wrong the reported figure of $1.7b for a revised 8 year (Foxtel) 2020-2027 contract...".
"I think we did very well" V'landys said, pointing out Foxtel told the A League they face a 70% cut of the $57.6m they would have received for the next 3 years".
Is Foxtel only offering the A League $17.28 m pa?

V'landys is refusing to cite the details of the Rights' deal (but Nine has already given details of its deal to 2020-2022 to the ASX)-why the refusalThe NRL never cited commercial-in-confidence with previous deals.

I actually love the idea of the smaller suburban ground upgrades. It saying that it is pretty bloody hard to imaging how Sydney can justify 7 ~$200million plus dollar grounds for soccer and the rugby codes.

workhorse

Premiership Player
Nov 13, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics

Les Malone

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Has the NRL just discovered that young people don't watch TV?

No, i think they have known that for some time, just as they have known for a longer period of time that less and less kids are playing RL.

are the two linked ?, i would conclude yes generally speaking.

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon

Pretty dodgey but let's gill know what they are up against. Good that foxtel knocked it on the head which indicates they may be giving the afl more again.

Actually i think the nrl rating well for these two weeks gives afl negotiation on the side of a cut this year a bit more power. It proves despite no crowds ratings haven't been affected at all. Mind you a game of marbles would rate well at the moment in australia to a sports starved public.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
That's quite incredible if true. Also possibly illegal under competition law.

I suspect the intended implication would be that, if a better deal was made with the AFL, foxtel would be obliged to amend the NRL contract to match it

More generally, I can't believe how ridiculous the last three paragraphs of that article are....i.e how Kane Cornes "broke ranks with his AFL colleagues to heap praise on V'landys" followed by quoting a "vol-kano" bit from the sunday footy show

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pretty dodgey but let's gill know what they are up against. Good that foxtel knocked it on the head which indicates they may be giving the afl more again.

Actually i think the nrl rating well for these two weeks gives afl negotiation on the side of a cut this year a bit more power. It proves despite no crowds ratings haven't been affected at all. Mind you a game of marbles would rate well at the moment in australia to a sports starved public.

Almost inevitable the AFL will get more again because foxtel would know it is worth more to it.....and the AFL is not as desperate to commit.

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
More incredible he'd be boasting about it.
Such loudmouths invariably come a cropper.
As I have said all along he is a nasty bogan BS artist full of his own crap.
He might get away with that sort of behaviour in Sydney it dosent wash in the rest of the nation!
One of his best buddys in the Sydney media was/is another loud mouth bully Alan Jones!
Actually he is not so smart as he thinks he is as the AFL now know who they are dealing with.

Lets see how their ratings go when they are head to head with the AFL next week!

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
To me the streaming rights are a distinctly set of negotiations as I read it.

I'd have thought Foxtel would have tried to pull it in to the extension of the PAY rights, but clearly I'm wrong. Telstra is doing its own thing.

For the two or three games that Foxtel don't have the rights to I would say are the ones that the article refers

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
That article was written in a way to stir people up. The NRL were obviously not confident they got the best deal possible and were probably likely just trying to make sure they weren’t shafted. Though saying it in that way doesn’t paint V’Landy in the light the media are running with atm.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
As I have said all along he is a nasty bogan BS artist full of his own crap.
He might get away with that sort of behaviour in Sydney it dosent wash in the rest of the nation!
One of his best buddys in the Sydney media was/is another loud mouth bully Alan Jones!
Actually he is not so smart as he thinks he is as the AFL now know who they are dealing with.

Lets see how their ratings go when they are head to head with the AFL next week!

Just because you didnt know of him, be sure the AFL did, anyone who follows sport more generally is aware of The Everest & its effect on Melbournes Spring Carnival.

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
You can imagine the Commissioners sitting around the table, sharing a few cucumber sandwiches, with their 1 million plus members, sponsorship revenue double that of the NRL's, attendances more than double, a billion dollar stadium, showing concern and fear about some racing indentity with a big mouth and delusions of grandeur.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
You can imagine the Commissioners sitting around the table, sharing a few cucumber sandwiches, with their 1 million plus members, sponsorship revenue double that of the NRL's, attendances more than double, a billion dollar stadium, showing concern and fear about some racing indentity with a big mouth and delusions of grandeur.

Exactly, the AFL knew who Peter V'Landys is well before 2020.

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
Just because you didnt know of him, be sure the AFL did, anyone who follows sport more generally is aware of The Everest & its effect on Melbournes Spring Carnival.

Where did I say I didnt know about him before he got the NRL gig?The poor downtrodden bullied Greek kid from Woolongong!

He has been fighting with Victorian Racing for a couple of years now but I reckon its back fired as it has gotten the almost moribund Melbourne Racing Clubs off their collective arses to improve racing in Victoria!

Along with Alan Jones he has had the NSW government running scared for a long time and their bully boy tactics work in NSW but didnt work with Morrison when he put his hand out to the Feds early on.

Last edited:

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Exactly, the AFL knew who Peter V'Landys is well before 2020.

I think he might be mocking the idea, Kwality

From the AFL's perspective their distance second major competitor has gone from attempting to implement a modernised independent governance model with a strong proactive centre based on the AFL model, to a regressive myopic model run by a cowboy

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I think he might be mocking the idea, Kwality

From the AFL's perspective they their distance second major competitor has gone from attempting to implement a modernised independent governance model with a strong proactive centre based on the AFL model, to a regressive myopic model run by a cowboy

Think I understood the mocking :) ..

The NRL Commission has not functioned as well as the AFL, no question particularly in commercial terms. Cant see current admin model sorting that out either. Possibly a benevolent dictator model might change things.
Dont know enough about the board of the ARLC to know why there seems to be constant friction between the CEO & the Commission. Compare that with our current AFL Commission that appears to simply rubber stamp whatever the admin put up.

Mr V'l as a CEO has the score on the board, as Chairman he's untried but the early signs are ... make up your own mind through whatever prism suits you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back