Play Nice 2020 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, I think you are over reaching by some rather large order of magnitude!

The AFL will have a higher aggregate attendance and gate taking (including season tickets pro-ratad) in the 5 weeks it is on. In Australia there will be ho hum TV ratings outside of Matildas games and the later finals.

Even internationally it remains to be seen whether the level of engagement will be remotely close in europe to what it was in the last world cup where it was actually on in europe. Even then there were scores of empty seats at most matches. It will be on early morning to middayish in europe and middle of the night to morning in north america.

Yep, like the cricket you've got games in different cities, different accomodation - expensive & time consuming (length of tournament) & it will take a toll on Aus residents following visiting countries.
The early games will get the curious, the finals get the enthusiasts, in between plenty of empty seats but hopefully good TV numbers internationally through knock out. The advantage of events with an international following.

Yep, like the cricket you've got games in different cities, different accomodation - expensive & time consuming (length of tournament) & it will take a toll on Aus residents following visiting countries.
The early games will get the curious, the finals get the enthusiasts, in between plenty of empty seats but hopefully good TV numbers internationally through knock out. The advantage of events with an international following.

The "advantage" is FIFA would probably be able to get a few hundred million for global TV rights.

The Matildas are an important national team, so I certainly wish them and the FFA the best of luck with the 2023 World cup.
As for lasting legacies, well there might be some.
Sam Kerr was asked about this, and she referred to watching Cathy Freeman win the 400m at the Sydney Olympics.
Of course we all have a fond memory of that, but looked at another way, it's not the greatest example for Sam Kerr to mention.
Or, actually on second thoughts, it's the perfect example, because the truth is, as great an event as that was, as huge a sporting achievement as that was, when it comes to lasting legacies for Athletics as a sport, well, it's non-existent.
So whether it's a great event or not, whether the Matildas do well, poorly or indifferently, the impact on soccer over the course of the next decade will be minimal.
A bit of a sugar hit, some media attention, extra sponsors for a short period, more sporting facilities for women being built (which is a good thing), a bit more participation for a sport which already has huge participation.
In fact, the whole Australian population could be participating in one guise or another, and the impact at that professional level would be next to zero.

A bit of a sugar hit, some media attention, extra sponsors for a short period, more sporting facilities for women being built (which is a good thing), a bit more participation for a sport which already has huge participation.
In fact, the whole Australian population could be participating in one guise or another, and the impact at that professional level would be next to zero.

A don't see a rush to build sporting facilities. The AFLW create a huge demand for facilities which largely hasn't been met.

In fact, the whole Australian population could be participating in one guise or another,

In W.A. an upgraded WAFL stadium has been allocated (which should more than adequately fill the demand)
If W.A. gets shunted like it usually does there will be little ongoing interest.
Looking at the Covid19 picture this morning I can see huge problems with Victoria doubling almost every day.
I don't see two years as an adequate timeframe for travel to normalise.
Certainly Victoria could be a problem for the AFL next season and NSW depending on how NSW reacts now.

The "advantage" is FIFA would probably be able to get a few hundred million for global TV rights.

The disadvantage is Australia's share.
FIFA have already shown their arrogance by demanding clean stadiums already ruling out Optus Oval and other high profile stadia.
Not many people are prepared to fly halfway around the world to come to Australia.
Even less people would be be prepared to come if it meant NIB stadium.

So whether it's a great event or not, whether the Matildas do well, poorly or indifferently, the impact on soccer over the course of the next decade will be minimal.

Thats the challenge, imho the womens game/the Matildas need to use this opportunity narrowly/selfishly to promote their best interests - dont let the mens game, the womens movement, whomever.

As for Sams comments on Cathy Freeman, its honest, & the WC can be that for the kids of 2023.

Digressing could a home WC cause Elysse Perry to give cricket a miss?

Last edited:
Are you implying athletes prefer to play sport in their own country? Interesting. To answer your question: no, she's currently a few months short of 30yo. And she hasn't played soccer since 2015, the reason for which is obvious and has been repeatedly explained over the last few pages. Say it with the rest of us... W B B L. W B B L!

As for Sams comments on Cathy Freeman, its honest, & the WC can be that for the kids of 2023.

But that's precisely the point.
20 years after hosting the Olympics, and winning a gold in the 400m, what exactly has it done for the sport of Athletics more generally?
Are they still broke with zero sources of revenue apart from Government grants?
Yes.
So, perversely, Sam's example ended up being truer than she had envisaged.
The impact of hosting the womens soccer world cup will not be all that different to hosting the Olympics (in terms of the long term impact on the respective sports).
But all of that aside, I wish the Matildas all the very best.

Thats the challenge, imho the womens game/the Matildas need to use this opportunity narrowly/selfishly to promote thier best interests - dont let the mens game, the womens movement, whomever.

Chance of Elysse Perry getting into a Matilda team is
On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

little. I assume that is what you were trying to say Jatz14. She is talented but she was drifting out of the team by the time she fully committed to cricket . She was good at soccer, but she is elite at cricket.

The disadvantage is Australia's share.
FIFA have already shown their arrogance by demanding clean stadiums already ruling out Optus Oval and other high profile stadia.
Not many people are prepared to fly halfway around the world to come to Australia.
Even less people would be be prepared to come if it meant NIB stadium.
that's not arrogance. that is needed. This is the showpiece event happening once every 4 years. when is the last time something happened at the G during finals time(actual question)

and if you aren't willing to travel around the world because you of a stadium, then you were not travelling around the world. We wait and see about tourist dollars. It is impossible to tell what will happen and people will tell you what you want to hear either way.

little. I assume that is what you were trying to say Jatz14. She is talented but she was drifting out of the team by the time she fully committed to cricket . She was good at soccer, but she is elite at cricket.

that's not arrogance. that is needed. This is the showpiece event happening once every 4 years. when is the last time something happened at the G during finals time(actual question)

and if you aren't willing to travel around the world because you of a stadium, then you were not travelling around the world. We wait and see about tourist dollars. It is impossible to tell what will happen and people will tell you what you want to hear either way.
Yes, little. Even if she could get back to be good enough to be selected, why would they select her? By the time of the WC, she will be a 33 year old that dropped out of it for years to play cricket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We wait and see about tourist dollars.

That's not how you run an event. Projections have to be made - the sooner the better.

It is impossible to tell what will happen.

It is possible to tell what will happen because Australia has had lot's of precedents to view.
The common thread is that people wildly over-estimate the tourism side of things.

That's not how you run an event. Projections have to be made - the sooner the better.

It is possible to tell what will happen because Australia has had lot's of precedents to view.
The common thread is that people wildly over-estimate the tourism side of things.

Seems to work for Melbourne/Victoria, sports tourism.

The Warriors problems in the NRL demonstrates the desperation of all sports to get their hands on TV dollars.

Money over credibility .... https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07...nts-as-family-deadline-looms-for-nrl/12410842

The Warriors problem in the NRL demonstrates the challenge of having a team be away from home in perpetuity.

The need to get the competitions back on was driven primarily by keeping a hell of a lot of people in jobs. Where the F do you think the TV money goes?

nrl-ready-to-use-soaring-ratings-as-launch-pad-for-broadcast-talks/news-story/19748f7d7432b760b64de9dac7d8596b

“I promised the broadcasters we would make it more entertaining,” V’landys said. “That was a great game – one of the best games I have ever seen. We wanted to make the game more free flowing and get rid of the wrestle. And we will keep making changes.
“I think it is better. There is more fatigue. It is more entertaining. You can’t say it is not more entertaining.”

Hard to argue as the Roosters and Storm produced yet another classic. The game attracted 910,000 viewers overall – 644,000 on Nine and 266,000 on Fox League. The corresponding AFL game between Carlton and St Kilda had 892,000 viewers, giving rugby league a resounding victory.

[ end quote]

Be interesting to see how 9 respond, what, if anything, the ASX reflects.

nrl-ready-to-use-soaring-ratings-as-launch-pad-for-broadcast-talks/news-story/19748f7d7432b760b64de9dac7d8596b

“I promised the broadcasters we would make it more entertaining,” V’landys said. “That was a great game – one of the best games I have ever seen. We wanted to make the game more free flowing and get rid of the wrestle. And we will keep making changes.
“I think it is better. There is more fatigue. It is more entertaining. You can’t say it is not more entertaining.”

Hard to argue as the Roosters and Storm produced yet another classic. The game attracted 910,000 viewers overall – 644,000 on Nine and 266,000 on Fox League. The corresponding AFL game between Carlton and St Kilda had 892,000 viewers, giving rugby league a resounding victory.

[ end quote]

Haha resounding victory by about 2%

[ end quote]

"a resounding victory" because storm roosters beat Carlton St Kilda by a sampling error!

Wookie, has the NRL won any other prime time night since the AFL came back?

"a resounding victory" because storm roosters beat Carlton St Kilda by a sampling error!

Wookie, has the NRL won any other prime time night since the AFL came back?

As far as one on ones go, ir's a rare victory, that's why it's so newsworthy, but for any administrator to actually crow about it publicly, well, that's just hilarious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back