Play Nice 2020 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The A League are going so well they can't even manage to leave Victoria successfully.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/soc...ve-before-border-closure-20200707-p559ns.html

The FFA will seek exemptions to the NSW border closureafter players from Melbourne Victory, Melbourne City and Western United were left trapped on the tarmac at Tullamarine Airport late on Monday night.

The three Victorian clubs scrambled to meet at AAMI Park at short notice on Monday night and the players gathered and were told to get on a number of buses to take them to the airport.

The plane was due to take the teams to Canberra, where they could then travel on to Sydney. But despite everyone making it onto the plane, low visibility in Canberra meant the flight could not depart and everyone had to get off and go home.
One insider described the chaotic events as they unfolded, leaving players, coaches and support staff frustrated and bewildered.

I wonder how much inside info the AFL gets as to these things. I assume that the relevant state governments told them border closures were imminent. They certainly made sure that clubs were ready to go asap once the new fixture was decided, e.g. Melbourne going straight from the G to the airport on Sunday.

The A League are going so well they can't even manage to leave Victoria successfully.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/soc...ve-before-border-closure-20200707-p559ns.html

I wonder how much inside info the AFL gets as to these things. I assume that the relevant state governments told them border closures were imminent. They certainly made sure that clubs were ready to go asap once the new fixture was decided, e.g. Melbourne going straight from the G to the airport on Sunday.

I'm sure all of the competitions are in a dialogue with the governments but the big two would get better access, particularly when the AFL is negotiating moving several hundred people into hubs and can ensure millions of people will now be watching games played out of Sydney and SEQ the next few weeks

There is also a big advantage obviously in having the resources (money and people) to make things happen quickly. The ALeague franchises probably have a handful of workers not stood down at the moment.

It's like a scene from a movie, with the heroes catching the last flight out of a war-stricken city.
The question has to be: why did these clubs wait until the 11th hour to get out of Melbourne?
As soon as the daily numbers hit triple figures, all players should have had bags packed ready to fly out.

Pippen94 and Aussie in exile will be devo with this news, will make trolling an AFL forum much more difficult for a few weeks ;)

Who do you think will be more gutted?

Hard to tell but you just know they'll be reading, they'll have a sick feeling in the guts but will have no comeback :)

Haha, one unnamed player is convinced of some kind of stitch up...

"Another said it was "awful" and "sad".

"We are OK but we just look like amateurs," he admitted. "The government's have stitched us up here massively. The AFL got wind of this and we didn't.""

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been a few suggestions here of streaming as the future for sports funding with the much speculated business model of Foxtel. It seems FFA had a good look a few years back: https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/ffa-knocked-back-streaming-service-six-years-ago
Plenty in the article imho & it does nothing to suggest there is a business model that would replace the Foxtel millions.

I know the Shute Shield has a streaming coverage, it is the City level Rugby Union comp in Sydney. I've yet to understand how/if the dollars flow there.

'Shute Shield television ratings crashed 67 per cent over the five years Club Rugby TV and Seven held the broadcast rights to rugby's heartland club competition, the Herald can reveal.
On the same day Rugby Australia's $3.7 million deal to buy back Sydney's club rugby rights was hailed as a "game changer" by club figures, it emerged how poorly the competition was rating on Seven's digital channel 7TWO, its home since the ABC dropped it in 2014.'

The private school comp in Perth has streaming available through The West Australian, I'd think all the scouts would be watching.

Been a few suggestions here of streaming as the future for sports funding with the much speculated business model of Foxtel. It seems FFA had a good look a few years back: https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/ffa-knocked-back-streaming-service-six-years-ago
Plenty in the article imho & it does nothing to suggest there is a business model that would replace the Foxtel millions.

I know the Shute Shield has a streaming coverage, it is the City level Rugby Union comp in Sydney. I've yet to understand how/if the dollars flow there.

'Shute Shield television ratings crashed 67 per cent over the five years Club Rugby TV and Seven held the broadcast rights to rugby's heartland club competition, the Herald can reveal.
On the same day Rugby Australia's $3.7 million deal to buy back Sydney's club rugby rights was hailed as a "game changer" by club figures, it emerged how poorly the competition was rating on Seven's digital channel 7TWO, its home since the ABC dropped it in 2014.'

The private school comp in Perth has streaming available through The West Australian, I'd think all the scouts would be watching.

Well I certainly don't think the streaming of the FFA Cup / NPL or the Shute Shield has even the remotest relevance to, say, the commercial viability of AFL streaming options.....or even the Super Rugby or A League for that matter

Last edited:
Can the AFL create a shell company, buy the ALeague rights for 20 years and make it inaccessible. Or would there be contract clauses to prevent that.

Can the AFL create a shell company, buy the ALeague rights for 20 years and make it inaccessible. Or would there be contract clauses to prevent that.
No. An organisation creating a shell company, to deprive a competitor in the market of free access to the market? Pretty sure there are a whole swathe of laws about such things. Would be considered bad faith for a start.

Imagine FIFA doing the same to the AFL.

Are you channelling soccer paranoia? Apparently there is serious currency in the idea that the melbourne franchise flight out fiasco was some kind of AFL stitch up.

The AFL is better off spending an extra dollar on its own game rather engaging in conspiracies to undermine a sport that is commercially barely bigger than the AFL's biggest clubs.

Assuming both the A League and the law allow them to do that,

I don't see any legal reason why not.
Channel 9 bought the rights to baseball when it was booming in Australia and promptly buried baseball.
Both Ch9 and Ch7 manipulate football television viewing to suit.
Yes, that's to maximise viewing but it has long term effects on some clubs.

why would you bother? It's not going to make the AFL any more popular.

Not in the short term at least.

c7 sport.......

I don't see any legal reason why not.
Channel 9 bought the rights to baseball when it was booming in Australia and promptly buried baseball.
Both Ch9 and Ch7 manipulate football television viewing to suit.
Yes, that's to maximise viewing but it has long term effects on some clubs.

Not in the short term at least.
yeah, so I hate doing this. But if you are willing to pay for the TV rights of random sport, just to bury it.......

You(and I mean you) must really have an irrational fear of soccer.

It was more of a hypothetical I guess. Doesn't even have to be the AFL.

Russel Crowe could buy the rights (the A-league don't have anti-siphon laws like the AFL/NRL/Cricket do they?) which means you could put it behind a paywall ($1k per year) and effectively shut the game out of the market.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back