Play Nice 2020 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty sure his arguments are:
1) massive transfer fees are all of as sudden going to start descending on Aus soccer (despite never having done so before)
2) participation rates are going to magically start translating into bums on seats (despite never having done so before)

Well sure a transfer system can benefit the league and participation rates are always gonna be there, I just fail to see how it proves the A-league has potential to grow massively just because Soccer is globally? This is the misconception a lot of soccer fans like Pippen94 have which grins me to no end they intentionally parade that the League has potential internationally because some foreigners play here and a few have invested interest for tax purpose, but on a grand scale its worthless really nobody actually cares! The AFL has grown extensively over the past 30 years and continues to grow don't understand how pippen94 thinks it can't grow any further when it clearly shows it can and it will so pippen94 can you explain why? The A-league has room to grow too but like Soccer in Australia in the past 40 years has proven I fail to see it grow substantially outside its comfort zones of Sydney and Melbourne. So Pippen how will this happen all of a sudden when the past has proven it can't? And don't say investors please..

btw Pippen94 nothing you have posted hasn't already been posted and said before on these boards or any other forums and threads.. so I suggest you stop wasting your time and everybody elses time going around in loops. If you are a true soccer fan not just a troll come into the Football Australia board and we can discuss the issues extensively their with other Australian soccer like minded fans.

Last edited:
Must be the worst A League GF ratings ever. By a long way.

82k on Fox, and I don't know how many watched on ABC me, but the channel had a prime time share of just 0.6% last night, beating only NITV.

Indeed. Last year's rated 137k (with 191k in extra time) on Foxtel and 215k on 10 Bold live. The 2018 GF rated 210k on Foxtel (with 183k on One HD) whilst the 2017 one rated a record 367K on Foxtel. This is a sporting league in total free fall.

Last edited:

Grow where? Other than Sydney and Melbourne where do you think the A-league can expand too or reach out too?

This simplistic view that just because soccer is global the A-league must be bigger is a massive flaw nobody gives two shits about the A-league on an international scale hell it hardly gets any interest in Australia.
I have always thought it works in reverse.

AFL is the league with the opportunity to grow, and A league is not.

Soccer is everywhere, so there is nowhere for A league to grow to.

Any country will prioritise its own league, and the top European leagues first. The A league looking for a market to sell it's product to, sits behind them. Then there are a bunch of other second rate national leagues also looking to sell product.

In that market, A league has no real value, and never will.

For all it's flaws, AFL has one attribute the A league cannot and will not ever have. It's unique.

Expansion of the game itself continues, and unlike soccer, all expansion relates back to AFL. People like pippen have been lolling at the idea of the growth overseas of footy for years, and for all those years, its kept growing. Semi pro overseas leagues will occur, probably not for 20 years, but it will happen.

Interesting fact, league has pro/semi pro teams in North America, but footy actually has more players there than league does, it's just that footy is a harder game to play well.

So, the entire world is a growth market for AFL.

A- leagues growth market is Tasmania.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Grow where? Other than Sydney and Melbourne where do you think the A-league can expand too or reach out too?

This simplistic view that just because soccer is global the A-league must be bigger is a massive flaw nobody gives two shits about the A-league on an international scale hell it hardly gets any interest in Australia.
The only 2 areas in my opinion that the A league might consider going to or have considered are Canberra and Tassie.
Not sure what level of support that would get in either area, but it would put dots on the map.

The broadcast of the 2020 Grand Final was watched by an average national audience of 151,000 across the combined platforms of Foxtel. This figure includes an audience of 84K via Foxtel cable/satellite set-top boxes and a further 66K via digital platforms including Foxtel Now/Foxtel Go and Kayo.

Overall the Fox Sports figures were down 14% compared with last year.

Free-To-Air figures for the match were also down considerably compared with 2019. The match attracting a 5-city metro audience of 23k on multi-channel ABCME. This year’s broadcast agreement required the ABC to screen the game on a two-hour delay.

So from 367k to 210k to 137k to 84k, a consistent 40% decline year on year.
Extraordinary.
Yep on life support with the plug about to be pulled!
Soccer is in a much worse position now that it was before A League started!
At this rate of decline I can't see the A League lasting in its present form for any length of time.

The only 2 areas in my opinion that the A league might consider going to or have considered are Canberra and Tassie.
Not sure what level of support that would get in either area, but it would put dots on the map.

You can pluck a team anywhere thats not my concern, my concern is will the FFA invest in the long term in these areas? We saw how the FFA handled North Queensland and the Gold Coast it got to hard and they gave up! Canberra has been tried before and failed! Historically and culturally soccer in Australia had always been strongest in Melbourne and Sydney I don’t see any reason how that will change it’s always been soccers saftey net.

Last edited:
Historically and culturally soccer in Australia had always been strongest in Melbourne and Sydney I don’t see any reason how that will change it’s always been soccers saftey net.

Well, historically Melbourne and Sydney have been Australia's biggest cities and there in lies the problem - the population imbalance.
The AFL is strong enough to have teams in all major cities.
The NRL are strong enough to have teams on the East coast.
Soccer finds support outside of Melbourne and Sydney difficult.

Well, historically Melbourne and Sydney have been Australia's biggest cities and there in lies the problem - the population imbalance.
The AFL is strong enough to have teams in all major cities.
The NRL are strong enough to have teams on the East coast.
Soccer finds support outside of Melbourne and Sydney difficult.

Just to re-phrase that a bit, support for soccer is pretty strong everywhere, but it's support for the A-League, or any elite Australian soccer comp, where support is quite weak (relative to the big football codes).

Just to re-phrase that a bit, support for soccer is pretty strong everywhere, but it's support for the A-League, or any elite Australian soccer comp, where support is quite weak (relative to the big football codes).

Proportionally strong? Sydney is proportionally strong for soccer at grassroots.
I remember looking at Census statistics and was amazed that Melbourne is no stronger (proportionally) than other Australian cities
though that's not the general impression that people have. That's were attendance comes in.
Outside of Melbourne and Sydney it's difficult to get the proportion of soccer people to support a national league.
It's doubly difficult due to the high costs. The MLS and NFL have conferences which reduces travel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Seven is declaring its $450m Rights' deal with CA is null & void- Force Majeure (due to CA not offering the expected top cricket players & teams, as originally expected).

It will be interesting to discover the discount it forces on CA, should it decide it still wants to broadcast the cricket.

2. The NRL, which will cut its HQ costs permanently by $80m pa, has started to cut executive positions- & will cut Club Football Dept. costs "substantially" (so reduced grants to Clubs).

Interestingly, the Club salary cap of $9.9m will only have a slight cut from 2021.

Last edited:
You can pluck a team anywhere thats not my concern, my concern is will the FFA invest in the long term in these areas? We saw how the FFA handled North Queensland and the Gold Coast it got to hard and they gave up! Canberra has been tried before and failed! Historically and culturally soccer in Australia had always been strongest in Melbourne and Sydney I don’t see any reason how that will change it’s always been soccers saftey net.
To be honest i can't see any expansion of any any football code for at least 10 years.
The affects of covid-19 will be felt for many years.

To be honest i can't see any expansion of any any football code for at least 10 years.

Well Australian Football continues to expand in participation.
With 18 teams the AFL would be advised not to increase the number of teams unless they went to conferences which is unlikely.
I do see the opportunity for the AFL to expand into new territories and other codes contracting.

Last edited:
Nice headline

The AFL’s plan to ‘steal rugby league fans’ in QLD ‘hijacking’

“Very strategic from the AFL,” Ikin joked. “Almost bordering on evil.

The Australian’s Brent Read added: “What do you expect from them? I’m not too worried about the AFL. How long have they been trying to take over Queensland now? And they’ve barely made a dent. I mean, good luck.”

Brent Read, again. Must be a pseudonym for Roy Masters.

The FFA hasn't got the money to save clubs way too busy trying to save their own backside.

Nice headline

The Australian’s Brent Read added: “What do you expect from them? I’m not too worried about the AFL. How long have they been trying to take over Queensland now? And they’ve barely made a dent. I mean, good luck.”

I’m not too worried about the NRL. How long have they been trying to take over Melbourne now? And they’ve barely made a dent. I mean, good luck.”

Of course the AFL has to try and grow the game in QLD and recoup some of the tens of $millions invested already in QLD and if it means it takes fans and players from the NRL. So be it!

All business is WAR ( as the Jews say) and you give your competitors nothing!

Of course the AFL has to try and grow the game in QLD and recoup some of the tens of $millions invested already in QLD and if it means it takes fans and players from the NRL. So be it!

The Lions outdrew the Broncos for six years before so it's not exactly new to Queensland.
The AFL G.F. will obviously attract some NRL fans because of the occasion but I'd be surprised if it did convert any
but the big push will be the generational change with the younger people - people open to change.
Queensland participation is well above where it was with the Lion's threepeat already so this G.F. could be the icing on the cake.

We should avoid these sorts of coversations.
Not only is Brisbane an RL town, but it has just the one NRL team in Australia's 3rd largest city!
The Broncos is the only NRL club which can match the commercial metrics of a middling AFL club.
So the point is nor really about whether the Lions are as big as the Broncos, clearly they're not as popular (although match the broncos on many metrics), the mere fact that the Lions (and the Suns for that matter) can continue to exist, and occasionally thrive, is a sufficient victory in its own right.
The growth of grassroots footy in Queensland speaks for itself, and ensures the ongoing existence of both clubs.

The Lions outdrew the Broncos for six years before so it's not exactly new to Queensland.
The AFL G.F. will obviously attract some NRL fans because of the occasion but I'd be surprised if it did convert any
but the big push will be the generational change with the younger people - people open to change.
Queensland participation is well above where it was with the Lion's threepeat already so this G.F. could be the icing on the cake.
Its not the rusted on RL fans the AFL is after its the uncommitted and kids that are the target!
As Aristotle said a long time ago! “Give me a child until he is 7 and I will show you the man.”

Nice headline

Brent Read?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back