Play Nice 2020 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The sooner people like these are removed from power the better off everyone will be.
Not everyone. If V'Landys is truly going to make savage cuts to grassroots rugby league, he's the greatest gift the AFL could ask for. He's destroying the future of the code to placate the rich and powerful in the short term, and the AFL could profit handsomely from that.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not everyone. If V'Landys is truly going to make savage cuts to grassroots rugby league, he's the greatest gift the AFL could ask for. He's destroying the future of the code to placate the rich and powerful in the short term, and the AFL could profit handsomely from that.

The only explanation for this comment is you fear V'Landys.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Anyone who mentions VLandys. Except for Kwality as I never have any idea what point he is trying to make anyway and he plays a critical role in ensuring nobody is biased towards football on a football forum

I was joking btw

Mr V'L in his day job is not happy with dastardly Dans treatment of whips, a contra for supporting his lockdown of Victorians.

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
It's about time some mods started being fair
AFL Club
Fremantle
If V'Landys is truly going to make savage cuts to grassroots rugby league..... He's destroying the future of the code to placate the rich and powerful in the short term,

Yes.

he's the greatest gift the AFL could ask for.

Not really. It's potentially poor for the long term future of rugby league and the NRL.

AFL could profit handsomely from that.

The AFL could but that's up to the AFL to keep promoting the game.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Mr V'L in his day job is not happy with dastardly Dans treatment of whips, a contra for supporting his lockdown of Victorians.

Just highlight my consistency that VLandys is a disaster to good governance and why I called his quotes in that article....

“We’re certainly not going to prosecute it through the media or do any grandstanding.

“They can grandstand and look for cheap publicity all they like but we’ll follow proper corporate governance and express ourselves at the meeting like they should be.”
...levels of hypocricy that would make trump blush

Below are my responses to mainly you earlier in the thread.

Wowee, so the NRL is moving further still away from an independent commission!

How much do you think the bullying of the ARL into the 130% funding of the salary cap to clubs (that saw to commissioners resign) come under review?
We've been through this before. There is simply no comparison between being CEO of racing NSW and being essentially executive chair of a $billion football competition. There is also a massive difference between heading up a code / league combined body and being president of one club. And even that, Collingwood's administrative problems when they occur seem to be generally a result of Eddie's inability to respect governance boundaries

For all the hagiographic boosting (particularly by news ltd), it looks like he has facilitated the sacking of the CEO on behalf of the media entities he was negotiating with and, according to the article above, he is now enabling the clubs "to have more involvement in running the NRL"

This is going to end in rivers of tears!
It's remarkable

In addition to the light touch reduction in player payments, it also seems like there has been no adjustment to club payments - and they are now going to be part of the process to rip $50 a year from the NRL's expenditure

9 look like they have effectively got close to what they were agitating for - not paying anything in 2020 - except that is spread over the remaining three years. And they give up nothing!

Foxtel get the rights out to 2027 at falling real contribution

The one group he has come down hard on is the referees!

The tears will flow for a decade :)
I think he might be mocking the idea, Kwality

From the AFL's perspective their distance second major competitor has gone from attempting to implement a modernised independent governance model with a strong proactive centre based on the AFL model, to a regressive myopic model run by a cowboy
Hmmmm, the reality is that the AFL Commission is the closest thing you are going to get to a "benevolent dictator model". Only a truly independent commission can be a benevolent dictator when it comes to professional sport.

We all have our biases but the "prism" I am judging the Vlandys / ARL/NRL situation is through one of modern professionalised governance. Having a cowboy as a krypto-executive chair heading up a billion dollar football body is almost certainly going to end in tears. The fact that so many fools are in thrall makes it even more likely that it will.
I don't think you fully understand my thought processes to agree or disagree with them.

I am not saying that the AFL commissioners never have biases or responds to pressures (Ironically the current Chairperson is a Perth based West Aussie btwand the commission is served by an executive headed by a south aussie). The point is AFL commission is structurally and culturally independent which places it above the fray to allow it to make strategic decisions on for the long term benefit of the game. The major players in the game (particularly the clubs) recognise the importance of this independent governance which reinforces the Commission's credibility

It is not about the merits or otherwise of V'landys. The bottom line is you have a dude now who is formally the chair of the ARLC essentially making arbitrary executive decisions on everything from extra funding to clubs (whose support he needs) and in-season rule changes. People can delude themselves the guy is some kind of genius but ultimately what he represents is the final death of any chance of rugby league achieving a modernised governance through which long term strategic decisions can be made. Rugby League probably missed its moment when Grant rolled over a few years back but V'Landys is finishing the job.

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
V'Landys said “We’re certainly not going to prosecute it through the media or do any grandstanding."

What a hypocrite!V'Landys the biggest media whore in the country!

Seven are upping the ante on their threats against Cricket Australia according to news.com.au and Nine newspapers.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/crick...l/news-story/46e96b8e720d538d62f38743c77724ff

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cri...n-cricket-australia-deal-20200911-p55unt.html

Reportedly not paying the next $25million installment and according to this report, actively looking to cancel not negotiate.

Seven is furious that as a result the first men's international on free-to-air television will be delayed, with the ODIs and T20 internationals shown only on Foxtel, and a source with knowlege of its stance says it is looking to terminate the deal, not win a discount. - The Age

Sounds very serious for future of cricket in this country right now.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

This isn't going to end well for CA. Whatever deal they sign is probably not going to be as large as what they have now, and they're torching their goodwill with Seven.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
A League in massive trouble.....

Facing a shortfall of almost 50 per cent in their annual grants from Football Federation Australia on top of lost matchday and sponsorship revenue, the A-League clubs will be forced to slash their wage bills considerably before the start of next season, likely in January.

However, players and clubs are at loggerheads over next season's payments, with club owners tabling a unique proposal that will allow them to choose which players have their salaries reduced, instead of a blanket percentage decrease of all.

A League in massive trouble.....

this is becoming a feature in a lot of sports/leagues around the world. player unions are still in a lot of denial about what revenues are likely to be moving forward

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
this is becoming a feature in a lot of sports/leagues around the world. player unions are still in a lot of denial about what revenues are likely to be moving forward

The problem for the A League though is the size of the cut.

If the franchises are really copping a halving of their distributions from the FFA, than 30% is actually relatively moderate....but it is also huge when the base is so low

The problem for the A League though is the size of the cut.

If the franchises are really copping a halving of their distributions from the FFA, than 30% is actually relatively moderate....but it is also huge when the base is so low

again, this is where players unions need a clue

this is a feeder league, and it has feeder league wages. feeder leagues will feel the hit of ad and sponsorship loses much harder than the top tiers imo

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
again, this is where players unions need a clue

this is a feeder league, and it has feeder league wages. feeder leagues will feel the hit of ad and sponsorship loses much harder than the top tiers imo

I'm not convinced it isn't in the A League's best interest to have rosters predominantly of 22 and unders.

And also surely at some point a 30 something on 60K a year is better off taking 40K at South Melbourne and opening a cafe or something

I'm not convinced it isn't in the A League's best interest to have rosters predominantly of 22 and unders.

And also surely at some point a 30 something on 60K a year is better off taking 40K at South Melbourne and opening a cafe or something

you need a balance, kids need to learn from experienced players

Sure, but surely when you have players who play for 3 or 4 clubs after they hit 30, you've not got the balance right?

depends upon the player, not all are the same when they hit that age

you cant think of it like the afl, its like the vfl - you want players who are there to play a role and support the kids you're bringing through

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
depends upon the player, not all are the same when they hit that age

you cant think of it like the afl, its like the vfl - you want players who are there to play a role and support the kids you're bringing through

I'm not even remotely thinking of it like the AFL. It's the A League so I'm thinking of it like the A League

My original point is the A League could well be better off with lower TPP and a far greater share of players being younger.

I suspect it would lose no net interest and could even increase revenues as you'd be able sign kids for longer than journey men and even get extra transfer fee revenues.

I'm not even remotely thinking of it like the AFL. It's the A League so I'm thinking of it like the A League

My original point is the A League could well be better off with lower TPP and a far greater share of players being younger.

I suspect it would lose no net interest and could even increase revenues as you'd be able sign kids for longer than journey men and even get extra transfer fee revenues.

and i said everyone will be reducing caps, and player unions are kidding themselves if they think its not happening

Back