Play Nice 2020 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know what the excitement is all about $40 million per year by 12 clubs = $3.3 Million each not going to buy very much!

This deal wont take soccer to the promised land that their supporters all dream about!The private owners will still have their hands deep in their pockets to keep the clubs afloat.

If the clubs were going to receive $3.3 million each (like they were receiving a few years ago), there would be genuine reason to celebrate.
The truth is, they will be very, very lucky to get two-thirds of that out of this deal.
We'll know the truth about the true value of the deal once we learn the quantum of the annual dividend, which in turn is a key determining factor in the salary cap.

Haha, "big stage stuff" .....the AFL's rights are worth almost $1B over 2 years in 2023/24

Except there is no jump.

And soccer had two of the four biggest media organisations in Australia (News limited and the ABC) and now the A League is moving to one that isn't in the top 4 at all.

1. It still amazes me that some soccer fans have a lot of trouble with basic arithmetic. I think one issue is that the AFL's broadcast deal (and all their other metrics for that matter), have too many zeroes on them, and some soccer fans start to imagine that they are somehow in the same ball park.

2. That's true about TEN, consistently last spot in monthly ratings, has been the case for a long time now (probably ever since they lost access to the footy). If that weren't bad enough, they are now paired with a new streaming service starting from a zero base position.
Whether it kicks on or not will depend on the streaming service fatigue of anyone interested in the A-League (and those numbers are already pretty small to begin with).

1. It still amazes me that some soccer fans have a lot of trouble with basic arithmetic. I think one issue is that the AFL's broadcast deal (and all their other metrics for that matter), have too many zeroes on them, and some soccer fans start to imagine that they are somehow in the same ball park.

2. That's true about TEN, consistently last spot in monthly ratings, has been the case for a long time now (probably ever since they lost access to the footy). If that weren't bad enough, they are now paired with a new streaming service starting from a zero base position.
Whether it kicks on or not will depend on the streaming service fatigue of anyone interested in the A-League (and those numbers are already pretty small to begin with).
1. "AFL is small fry and its fans can't count over 1. The NFL deal is 110 Billion over 11 years. lol...what a pathetic small-time sport"
<that is sarcasm btw but showcases a point below>

What the AFL gets is irrelevant to what soccer can expect and what counts as a success for the sport. its not a hard concept that 10 mil extra means a lot more to soccer than the AFL.

And before you say anything about "soccer fans did this, soccer fans do that", no one has compared the AFL deal to the soccer deal outside you and Noob. Not on this forum anyway. its getting bloody tiresome on this forum that any actual debate gets sidetracked with petty insults and the like.

2. I think it more the fact that ten/CBS now have an incentive to try and promote the sport, especially with that ownership. The other 2 didn't.* We all know what happened when 10 got the rights to the BBL. That is the hope

*I would say the ABC tried with the w-league as it was a major part of its charter. just that no one listened. You could say Fox did, but they massively lost interest since they got the cricket and run out of money.

Last edited:
1. "AFL is small fry and its fans can't count over 1. The NFL deal is 110 Billion over 11 years. lol...what a pathetic small-time sport"
<that is sarcasm btw but showcases a point below>

What the AFL gets is irrelevant to what soccer can expect and what counts as a success for the sport. its not a hard concept that 10 mil extra means a lot more to soccer than the AFL.

And before you say anything about "soccer fans did this, soccer fans do that", no one has compared the AFL deal to the soccer deal outside you and Noob. Not on this forum anyway. its getting bloody tiresome on this forum that any actual debate gets sidetracked with petty insults and the like.

BobbyMorri once again getting outraged by people responding to soccer trolls....but that's not tiresome at all

As it is, VFL13 referred to Socceroos games, the FFA cup and NPL as "big stage stuff" that AFL fans wouldn't know about. None of the responses to that equate to calling soccer a "pathetic small-time sport"

Once again, you are on an AFL forum. You seem to forget this but the easiest way of not getting offended by people responding to soccer trolls is to not read this forum. Given you are so hypersensitive to AFL fans discussing soccer's status in Australia, why on earth would you spend a decade punishing yourself hanging out here?

2. I think it more the fact that ten/CBS now have an incentive to try and promote the sport, especially with that ownership. The other 2 didn't.* We all know what happened when 10 got the rights to the BBL. That is the hope

*I would say the ABC tried with the w-league as it was a major part of its charter. just that no one listened. You could say Fox did, but they massively lost interest since they got the cricket and run out of money.

Delusion.

-Every media outlet that has had the soccer has promoted it heavily.....the ABC most recently
-The idea that there is any analogy with the BBL is pure comedy
-the idea that a 2.5% equity will materially change how channel 10 / CBC behaves beyond them having effectively 8 years is risible

You never know, the A League may be able to engineer a reset to arrest and somewhat turn around the collapse in interest.

But it is sooooo delusional to think that fifth biggest media organisation in the country getting the rights is some kind of game changer

Not trying to cause outrage here gents, just pointing out that co sidering how the league is going, its as good a deal as we could have hoped for.
The national teams draw big viewership so i was merely pointing out that it is all additional to the current deal..
I will poi t out once again, im an avid AFL and football supporter. Not looking to make it an us vs them issue. I just dont understand why afl fans need to find a way to kick sand at football so often. We can love together.

Not trying to cause outrage here gents, just pointing out that co sidering how the league is going, its as good a deal as we could have hoped for.
The national teams draw big viewership so i was merely pointing out that it is all additional to the current deal..
I will poi t out once again, im an avid AFL and football supporter. Not looking to make it an us vs them issue. I just dont understand why afl fans need to find a way to kick sand at football so often. We can love together.

Yeah, well, I too like soccer as well as football. Unfortunately, the attitude often displayed by soccer enthusiasts rubs me up the wrong way. They’re quite comfortable directing insults at followers of other sports, and yet carry a sense of grievance such that every sideways glance is taken as (yet another) an attack on soccer. I’m afraid you’ve come very close to displaying this attitude. You make a snide comment about “national teams being foreign to AFL” only to then plead with those who respond to “please stop kicking sand at us! We’re just minding our own business here”.

That aside, I broadly agree with your take on the broadcast deal: it’s a reasonable outcome all things considered. That said, it looks like the deal means that Aleague clubs are probably about to take pay cut when it takes effect. I don’t think you can blame anyone for pointing that out.

Not trying to cause outrage here gents,.

Hardly, more like ridicule

its as good a deal as we could have hoped for.

Yes, why keep on repeating it.

You're repeating yourself again. International games sometimes draw good viewership.

I will point out once again, im an avid AFL and football supporter.

An avid AFL supporter with no team. An avid soccer supporter it seems. An avid AFL supporter always refers to football as football.

I just dont understand why afl fans need to find a way to kick sand at football so often.

Well any AFL supporter would easily remember the way soccer tried to shaft AFL for the W.C.

We can love together.

Well it would help if you referred to the round ball game as soccer - at best to stop confusion - at worst to stop the arrogance.
You could show a little respect show it as AFL with capitals.

An avid AFL supporter with no team. Im a crows man

Well it would help if you referred to the round ball game as soccer - at best to stop confusion - at worst to stop the arrogance.
You could show a little respect show it as AFL with capitals.
[/QUOTE]
Makes sense as the governing body is football australia and my team is adelaide united football club.
I was broight up calling afl afl or footy and soccer football. But ill switch to avoid confusion however it is a force of habit so please tolerate it if i forget. Definetly not arrogance. No need to be so defensive over the name of our sports. Both are football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, well, I too like soccer as well as football. Unfortunately, the attitude often displayed by soccer enthusiasts rubs me up the wrong way. They’re quite comfortable directing insults at followers of other sports, and yet carry a sense of grievance such that every sideways glance is taken as (yet another) an attack on soccer. I’m afraid you’ve come very close to displaying this attitude. You make a snide comment about “national teams being foreign to AFL” only to then plead with those who respond to “please stop kicking sand at us! We’re just minding our own business here”.

That aside, I broadly agree with your take on the broadcast deal: it’s a reasonable outcome all things considered. That said, it looks like the deal means that Aleague clubs are probably about to take pay cut when it takes effect. I don’t think you can blame anyone for pointing that out.
No your bang on. I have no issue with opinions wether i agree with them or not. Its a pay cut to previous deals for sure but i thought it would be much less.
The national team thing was purely as i have observed afl fans not engage national teams of other codes so they dont get the same feel of what its like. Not an insult.
Soccer fans cause more grief for our own code than any outside influence. We tend to eat our own amd turn on each other.
Peace to all. Seriously not looking to provoke or insult.
Ill avoid contributing to this in future.

It probably is around as big as anyone could have expected, by the same token, it's actually not as big as many enthusiasts are trying to make out - the annual dividend given to the clubs will be lower than 4 or 5 years ago.
The socceroos can get good ratings, depending on the opponent.
In truth, the vast majority of games are against opponents no body gives a damn about.
Socceroos vs Bangladesh, miniscule ratings.
A friendly against Slovenia, minimal interest.
Socceroos have now made four consecutive world cups, on the verge of a 5th, and it's pretty much expected now, viewed as not much of an achievement, beating up on weak Asian teams.
The WC structure will soon change, 48 nations will now qualify (aimed squarely at giving the likes of China and India a chance of qualifying because they are so hopeless at the game), Australia will qualify with ease from now on, so it will be even less of an achievement than it is now.

About that, aren't the rights to most Socceroos matches held by FIFA or the AFC? The FFA doesn't own them outside of friendlies, which likely have little to no value anyway.

Not trying to cause outrage here gents,

Haha, tell you're mate BobbyMorri who is the only one getting outraged it seems

I think most people here like the little soccer trolls because they make good sport (like fish barrel shooting).

Anyway, if you want to pretend to be someone different to the angst ridden soccer should chipper when you were posting a couple of years back, you might be better off creating a new account!

About that, aren't the rights to most Socceroos matches held by FIFA or the AFC? The FFA doesn't own them outside of friendlies, which likely have little to no value anyway.

The only ones that anyone watches are (eg world cups and late state qualifiers)...or at least that was the reported case previously

Unfortunately, the attitude often displayed by soccer enthusiasts rubs me up the wrong way.

Once, my wife had invited a couple over for dinner as the woman was a friend of hers and she warned me that her friend's husband was a soccer nut. Though i was warned to be on my best behavior there was no need to as I had no intention of bringing negativity to my own home. They arrived and she was friendly and he said nothing, not even pleasantries as we did the usual grand tour thing. By dinner time the silence was get embarrassing. The only thing i knew was that this bloke had played in the NSL. With genuine interest I asked how and when he had played NSL. Every time I used the word "soccer" he would correct me and go on some rant about insults of "wogball" and soccer being a negative term. The he went on another rant about "what you call football...."
Out of respect of my wife's relationship with this woman, I remained calm and said "you are in my home as a guest and if you choose not respect our home then I must ask to leave". He left. His wife was very embarrassed by her hubby's behavior.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/bu...r/news-story/74debf12dc387409585381867542f895 said:
Included in the projections is about $51m in media revenue for 2022, rising to almost $59m within five years, including about $4.3m in international broadcast income.

The new Ten deal falls short of the projection, though A-League officials said they were happy to clinch the new contract that brings an end to a 16-year association between Fox Sports and the league.

The information memorandum says the A-League would generate about $72m revenue in 2022, including almost $10m in sponsorship, another $10m in gate receipts from hosting the grand final and other important games and almost $2m in merchandise sales. Income would rise to $98m within five years.

International friendlies with big clubs touring Australia would also be an important strategy, bringing in about $3.3 revenue from next year. A “street football” pre-season tournament is also planned.

projected for next year. They will be short on several areas but gives you an idea.

I only just got a chance to have a look at this!

So they put this in front of these private equity people?

So obviously the media rights is far lower straight off the bat.....but on what planet are they getting $10M from for their "grand final and other important games"? There's no way the current finals series gets a fraction of that

I suspect the sponsorship figure is dubious as well

And collectively the non media revenue is rising to $39M in 5 years ?

Attendances and ratings have declined now for 8 consecutive seasons.
The highest average attendance recorded in any one season was way back in season 3.
Once the Lowys departed the scene, a stack of major sponsors were lost.
Collectively the club owners have lost over $300 million during the history of the A-League.
Currently, soccer fans are celebrating a broadcast deal worth about two-thirds of the last one.
But projections of future growth remain very strong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back